Connect with us

19th Hole

‘He’s tried to cancel me for years’ – DECADE Golf creator reveals history of feud with Brad Faxon

Published

on

Earlier this month, Scott Fawcett, who is the founder of the DECADE Golf system that many professional golfers use, got in a Twitter dispute with Justin Thomas after criticizing the NBC broadcast team of Dan Hicks and Brad Faxon during Will Zalatoris’ win at the FedEx St. Jude Championship.

Fawcett, who was Zalatoris’ former mentor, felt that the broadcast had made negative remarks about Zalatoris’ putting stroke which took the attention off of his impressive victory. In response, he went off on an expletive-filled rant on his Twitter account.

After the fallout of the tweet, Zalatoris spoke out condemning Fawcett’s comments.

“Scott Fawcett is not a paid member of my team. I in no way condone or support anything that was said in those tweets. I personally reached out to Dan Hicks and Brad Faxon and echoed that I don’t condone what he said. Any interviews he’s given have been unauthorized.

He has tried to reach out to me and I have not spoken to him. I’m thankful to him for everything he helped me with in the ups and downs in junior golf but those statements are not a reflection of my values or me.”

On Monday night, Fawcett posted a YouTube video that further explains his feud with Brad Faxon and Justin Thomas (read what he says is the reason for his bad blood with Justin Thomas here.)

Fawcett starts the video by acknowledging that the words he used in his tweets were “out of line and offensive”. He also said the reason he made the video was not to “walk back what [he] said” but to “give the color of why I snapped so hard on Faxon”.

According to Fawcett, Faxon has been trying to “cancel [Fawcett] for years”.

The feud dates back to a video from “a couple of years ago” where Faxon says that a tap-in putt didn’t necessarily mean the first putt had “good speed” and he took exception with broadcasters consistently implying that notion.

Faxon said when he hit a good putt that didn’t go in, it would end up “past the hole enough where I had to mark it”. Fawcett was shown the video and said that he disagreed with Faxon’s opinion on what “good speed” meant.

Faxon allegedly replied to Fawcett’s comments by saying “so you think you can tell me how to putt?”

The exchange continued with a back-and-forth on Twitter that lasted a few days and ended with Fawcett bringing up the data proving that only a small percentage (16-23%) of Faxon’s putts ended up more than 31″ past the hole.

Faxon has often said that golfers shouldn’t focus on their statistics, and he has continuously dismissed the notion that players should record stats if they want to improve.

However, citing a tweet of Faxon’s from 2015 where he praised Mark Broadie for his statistical work, Fawcett accused Faxon of lacking “intellectual integrity” and that the tweet “shows he did like stats” and that “he’s only going out of his way to do what he does, simply to dunk on me.”

The feud seemingly has gone on for a few years and there doesn’t appear to be a reconciliation in sight.

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 25
  • LEGIT7
  • WOW2
  • LOL6
  • IDHT1
  • FLOP4
  • OB1
  • SHANK17

7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Benny

    Aug 25, 2022 at 12:59 pm

    Drinking and Tweeting never work out well for anyone..

  2. C’mon Man

    Aug 24, 2022 at 6:55 pm

    Hahaha… “he has tried to cancel me for years.” Scott Fawcett can certainly come across as a jerk, but… how exactly is he trying to cancel you? Oh wait, I get it, this is just a rallying cry you use when someone doesn’t agree with you.

  3. jamho3

    Aug 24, 2022 at 4:46 pm

    Big fan of Faxon, Fawcett seems to be a bit of a RichardHead from time to time but I absolutely love him and his work. Thank you!

  4. Hooded 1-Iron

    Aug 24, 2022 at 1:48 pm

    Can y’all publish some positive stories? Your negative-to-positive ratio is way off. Thanks.

  5. Brandon

    Aug 23, 2022 at 9:51 pm

    I remember when this was a cool golf website, not TMZ.

    • Frank

      Aug 24, 2022 at 7:07 am

      Agreed! more like as the world turns Teen gossip weekly

  6. Pingback: Ex-mentor of Zalatoris explains why he believes Justin Thomas holds a grudge against him – GolfWRX

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

19th Hole

Shane Lowry and Justin Thomas take shots at Bryson’s awkward attempt to own viral rope incident

Published

on

“If you can’t laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?”

According to those search engines, both quotes can be attributed to an awful lot of people over the years, including golf legends Payne Stewart and Tiger Woods.

Sometimes, though, others don’t find it as funny.

A week ago, we reported on a viral video from LIV Chicago that showed Bryson DeChambeau losing a battle with one of the gallery ropes .

Despite the histrionics and the supposed loss of vision in one eye, he completed the event at 6-under, and finishing in the top 10.

The incident brought more attention to the tour than anything Chicago winner Cam Smith could do, and the 2020 U.S Open winner probably thought he was onto a winner when recreating the event in a re-run of Bryson v Rope.

In it, the 29-year-old prepares for the challenge like a pro boxer, before ducking under the rope with no personal damage – to the whoops of the ‘onlookers’.

It was a bit of fun, but recent BMW PGA champion, and 2022 Masters third, Shane Lowry, wasn’t at all impressed.

The 2019 Open Championship winner has always stayed fairly neutral about the Greg Norman-led tour, but there was never a doubt that he was fully behind his good friend Rory McIlroy with his views.

However, after the win at Wentworth, Lowry was a tad more open with his views:

“I just think [LIV Golf] is bad for the game. I have always said I play for trophies, not for money. That’s why I didn’t entertain it, to be honest. The reason I have never even contemplated it is I don’t think it is good for the game.”

Whilst we can’t be sure if this had any effect on his Twitter post today, it was clear what he thinks of DeChambeau’s latest stunt:

Then JT got involved and made it clear what camp he was in…

The long-standing Dunhill Links weather is always unpredictable, but home players seem to thrive whatever the conditions.

What is definite is that Lowry will not stomach much more of the clownery on show, and probably won’t be cheering Bryson on as he reached the last 64 of the World’s Longest Drive Championship.

Just as we thought things might have been calming down…..

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 38
  • LEGIT2
  • WOW0
  • LOL5
  • IDHT3
  • FLOP8
  • OB6
  • SHANK51

Continue Reading

19th Hole

Why Phil Mickelson decided to drop out of lawsuit against PGA Tour

Published

on

Whatever the whys and wherefores, the disputes and disagreements, the one thing the LIV series has done is get people thinking.

Much water has crossed under the bridge and a recap could go on for many hours, but it remains that something somewhere caused the PGA Tour to look at a revised schedule.

Behind all this were a number of court cases, the first being 16 players fighting their cause against a DP World Tour ban, before 11 PGA Tour players sought temporary injunctions against the tour, seeking allowance into the FedEx Cup.

Since then,  Abraham Ancer, Jason Kokrak, Carlos Ortiz and Pat Perez have dropped out of the suit, the trial scheduled to commence in 2024, and now four more have fallen by the wayside.

Those four are Ian Poulter, Talor Gooch, Hudson Swafford, and more vitally, Phil Mickelson.

The idea of a series challenging the golf status quo was always in the mind of Greg Norman and his backers, and Lefty was certainly the one player that launched the idea into orbit, after a revealing interview with golf writer Alan Shipnuck.

That now leaves just three of the original 11 – Bryson DeChambeau, Matt Jones and Peter Uihlein – who are still being backed by LIV Golf.

The organization released a recent statement, commenting:

“Nothing has changed,’” confirmed LIV. “The merits of the lawsuit—the PGA Tour’s anti-competitive conduct—still stand and will be fully tested in court, and we look forward to it.”

The statement confirmed the reasons why they believe they have a strong case.

“We stand by the players who the PGA Tour has treated so poorly, but we also recognize to be successful we no longer need a wide variety of players to be on the suit. We have our players’ backs and will press our case in court against the PGA’s anti-competitive behavior.”

Losing the bigger names might be a blow to the plaintiff’s case, and Mickelson’s comments were always going to be of interest.

Lefty explained the reasons for his withdrawal to Sports Illustrated:

“I am focused on moving forward and extremely happy being a part of LIV, while also grateful for my time on the (PGA) Tour. I am pleased that the players on Tour are finally being heard, respected and valued and are benefitting from the changes recently implemented.”

He summed up:

“With LIV’s involvement in these issues, the players’ rights will be protected and I no longer feel it is necessary for me to be part of the proceedings.”

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 15
  • LEGIT3
  • WOW2
  • LOL3
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP3
  • OB1
  • SHANK17

Continue Reading

19th Hole

Patrick Reed includes three golf journalists in fresh defamation lawsuit

Published

on

Last month, Patrick Reed filed a defamation lawsuit against Golf Channel’s Brandel Chamblee. The suit has since been withdrawn, but the former Masters champion isn’t done yet.

Reed has just filed a new lawsuit against golf journalists Damon Hack, Shane Bacon and Eamon Lynch. In addition to the writers, the suit includes both PGA Tour and DP World Tour and their commissioners Jay Monahan and Keith Pelley.

The suit alleges that those mentioned are guilty of “conspiracy, defamation, injurious falsehood and tortious interference”.

The lawsuit is a whopping 96-pages long and it lists 42 “causes of action.” The causes of action include “a pattern and practice of defaming Mr. Reed.”

“These malicious attacks have created hate, aided and abetted a hostile workplace environment, and have caused substantial financial and emotional damage and harm to Mr. Reed and his family,” Reed’s attorney Larry Klayman said in a statement.

The suit claims that the defendants have cost Reed opportunities at multi-million-dollar sponsorships over the course of his career.

The documents also allege that the defendants have been “intentionally and maliciously destroying” the reputation and sales of Reed and his wife’s company, grindworksUSA, which distributes golf equipment made by the Chinese company.

Reed was set to tee it up at the Alfred Dunhill Links this week, but was forced to withdraw due to back issues resulting from a soft mattress at a French hotel.

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 31
  • LEGIT6
  • WOW7
  • LOL8
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP4
  • OB3
  • SHANK68

Continue Reading

WITB

Facebook

Trending