Connect with us

19th Hole

NBA legend says he would ‘kill a relative’ for LIV Golf money

Published

on

Not that long ago that NBA legend Charles Barkley was being lampooned for his golf swing.

Teaming up with Phil Mickelson at The Match III in November 2020, his ‘disturbed’ golf action was no barrier to celebrity success as he and the 2021 PGA Champion beat Stephen Curry and Peyton Manning 4 and 3.

Fast-forward to February this year and the outspoken basketball Hall of Fame inductee was challenging any tour player for any amount of money, for just a shot a hole.

And here is again, with further forthright chat.

On Friday, during an appearance on the Pat McAfee Show, the 59-year-old TNT analyst was quite clear in his support for the players that have been accused of joining the LIV Golf series purely for the financial incentives.

As Barkley’s sparring partner, Mickelson, was in the midst of shooting 78-83 to miss the cut at the US Open at Brookline, he claimed he would do almost anything for the reported level of reward, whilst not holding back on his thoughts about the PGA Tour.

“I want all the LIV guys on top of the leaderboard,” Barkley said of what he wants to see at this week’s U.S. Open. “I want to see the PGA Tour shaking in their damn boots. Listen, I’m not a religious dude but I want chaos this weekend at the U.S. Open.”

“I don’t judge other people. Listen, if somebody gave me $200 million I’d kill a relative,” Barkley joked before doubling down. “I’m serious. They’re saying Phil Mickelson got $200 million, Dustin Johnson got $150 million, for $150 million I’d kill a relative, even one I like.”

At the US Open, only Johnson, of all the current LIV stars, were anywhere near the top-20 at The Country Club.

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 19
  • LEGIT2
  • WOW2
  • LOL6
  • IDHT1
  • FLOP0
  • OB4
  • SHANK31

4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. Painter33

    Jul 2, 2022 at 7:44 am

    Barkley was never a subtle thinker. Wait, amend that: Barkley was never a thinker of any kind. His use of a murder analogy to describe the Murder Tour proves what a dope he really is. And, a stroke a hole wouldn’t be nearly enough…

  2. Moe Greene

    Jun 23, 2022 at 11:17 am

    Charles is still not a role model.

  3. youwish

    Jun 21, 2022 at 3:19 pm

    Let’s be honest, many nba players were well on their way to committing murder before joining that league.

  4. Jerry

    Jun 21, 2022 at 2:49 pm

    Who gives a crap what a moron with zero golf skills has to say.

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

19th Hole

Why Phil Mickelson decided to drop out of lawsuit against PGA Tour

Published

on

Whatever the whys and wherefores, the disputes and disagreements, the one thing the LIV series has done is get people thinking.

Much water has crossed under the bridge and a recap could go on for many hours, but it remains that something somewhere caused the PGA Tour to look at a revised schedule.

Behind all this were a number of court cases, the first being 16 players fighting their cause against a DP World Tour ban, before 11 PGA Tour players sought temporary injunctions against the tour, seeking allowance into the FedEx Cup.

Since then,  Abraham Ancer, Jason Kokrak, Carlos Ortiz and Pat Perez have dropped out of the suit, the trial scheduled to commence in 2024, and now four more have fallen by the wayside.

Those four are Ian Poulter, Talor Gooch, Hudson Swafford, and more vitally, Phil Mickelson.

The idea of a series challenging the golf status quo was always in the mind of Greg Norman and his backers, and Lefty was certainly the one player that launched the idea into orbit, after a revealing interview with golf writer Alan Shipnuck.

That now leaves just three of the original 11 – Bryson DeChambeau, Matt Jones and Peter Uihlein – who are still being backed by LIV Golf.

The organization released a recent statement, commenting:

“Nothing has changed,’” confirmed LIV. “The merits of the lawsuit—the PGA Tour’s anti-competitive conduct—still stand and will be fully tested in court, and we look forward to it.”

The statement confirmed the reasons why they believe they have a strong case.

“We stand by the players who the PGA Tour has treated so poorly, but we also recognize to be successful we no longer need a wide variety of players to be on the suit. We have our players’ backs and will press our case in court against the PGA’s anti-competitive behavior.”

Losing the bigger names might be a blow to the plaintiff’s case, and Mickelson’s comments were always going to be of interest.

Lefty explained the reasons for his withdrawal to Sports Illustrated:

“I am focused on moving forward and extremely happy being a part of LIV, while also grateful for my time on the (PGA) Tour. I am pleased that the players on Tour are finally being heard, respected and valued and are benefitting from the changes recently implemented.”

He summed up:

“With LIV’s involvement in these issues, the players’ rights will be protected and I no longer feel it is necessary for me to be part of the proceedings.”

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 0
  • LEGIT0
  • WOW0
  • LOL0
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK0

Continue Reading

19th Hole

Patrick Reed includes three golf journalists in fresh defamation lawsuit

Published

on

Last month, Patrick Reed filed a defamation lawsuit against Golf Channel’s Brandel Chamblee. The suit has since been withdrawn, but the former Masters champion isn’t done yet.

Reed has just filed a new lawsuit against golf journalists Damon Hack, Shane Bacon and Eamon Lynch. In addition to the writers, the suit includes both PGA Tour and DP World Tour and their commissioners Jay Monahan and Keith Pelley.

The suit alleges that those mentioned are guilty of “conspiracy, defamation, injurious falsehood and tortious interference”.

The lawsuit is a whopping 96-pages long and it lists 42 “causes of action”. The causes of action include “a pattern and practice of defaming Mr. Reed”

“These malicious attacks have created hate, aided and abetted a hostile workplace environment, and have caused substantial financial and emotional damage and harm to Mr. Reed and his family,” Reed’s attorney Larry Klayman said in a statement.

The suit claims that the defendants have cost Reed opportunities at multi-million-dollar sponsorships over the course of his career.

The documents also allege that the defendants have been “intentionally and maliciously destroying” the reputation and sales of Reed and his wife’s company, grindworksUSA, which distributes golf equipment made by the Chinese company.

Reed was set to tee it up at the Alfred Dunhill Links this week, but was forced to withdraw due to back issues resulting from a soft mattress at a French hotel.

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 0
  • LEGIT0
  • WOW0
  • LOL0
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK0

Continue Reading

19th Hole

Pro travels half way across world for qualifier and is disqualified after one hole

Published

on

Rules are rules.

In ordinary life, there are principles we must stick by. We may not agree with all but rules, or laws, are there, and it’s helpful to know them.

That’s also true in sports. And golf, in particular, loves a rule.

Over the years, golf has witnessed hundreds of infringements and penalties from the logical to the bizarre, and recent times has seen both.

Five months ago, Alex Cejka was disqualified for the second time for infringing a rule on green-reading, whilst in June, Hideki Matsuyama was dq’d for playing with a non-conforming club.

Over on the DP World Tour earlier this month, we reported on the expulsion of Aaron Cockerill from the Made In Himmerland tournament, after hitting his second ace in seven days, following that with a snowman, and forgetting to sign his card!

Golfers can, of course, use the stranger rules to their advantage.

Surely the most bizarre might be the regulation that allowed Thomas Pieters to gain a mulligan after ‘mis-hitting’ a putt at the Open de France, later to be re-interpreted, although, of course, too late.

‘Know your rules’ would be a simple maxim for all players and caddies, so it’s tough to feel too sorry for Blake Abercrombie, despite him losing circa $5000 because of an unavoidable error.

The mini-tour and Canadian Tour player entered the latest stage of the DP World Q-School at a cost of $2000 entry, plus his cost of flying from the US to Denmark – and ended up going home much earlier than planned.

Ryan French (@acaseofgthegolf1) used his infamous Twitter account to inform us all:

Replies asked whether the punishment fitted the crime, whether the rules consider the pressure these players are under, and why it isn’t simply a two-shot penalty like many other consequences.

To silence all, fellow entrant Nico Paez explained it to us all in his brief response :

We may not agree with all but rules, or laws, are there, and it’s helpful to know them.

More from the 19th Hole

Your Reaction?
  • 0
  • LEGIT0
  • WOW0
  • LOL0
  • IDHT0
  • FLOP0
  • OB0
  • SHANK0

Continue Reading

WITB

Facebook

Trending