The first round of the RBC Heritage gets underway today and with that, we have an unprecedented part 3 of our most interesting pictures from the event. As a refresher, the field of 134 is battleing on the tight treeline Pete Dye designed course, for the $7.1 million purse with $1.28 million going to the winner.
In part one of this week’s “most interesting photos”, we covered putters, for part two we covered some of the action around the course, and for part 3 we have a little bit of both.
Don’t forget you can check out all our image galleries in the GolfWRX Tour Equipment forum.
Snedeker with that “new driver” look
The 2012 FedEx Cup champ is quietly one of the biggest driver testers on tour, and he was looking thirsty at a couple of TaylorMade SIM2 drivers on the range. Also noted his Miura CB-301 irons.
Build your own training aid
Path board – check, digital level – check, alignment rod – check, extra club – check. Why spend all kinds of money when you can just build your own simple training aid?
Its armlock – but backward
Matt Kuchar brought the arm-lock style to the PGA Tour and it looks like he might be changing course again since he was spotted testing a “reverse” arm-lock Bettinardi on the practice green of Harbour Town links. This is a reverse style because the grip rests against the trailing arm versus the lead one.
Maybe graphite is the new steel
We’re not sure whose caddie this is, but the interesting thing in this photo is the graphite shaft in the putter. Although Bryson wasn’t the first, he certainly has opened the door for more players testing and putting ultra-stiff graphite shafts into their putters for stability.
Si Woo, and Charles Howell talking putters
Everyone knows Charles Howell loves to talk gear, and here he is chatting with Si Woo Kim about a couple of putters—just imagine the nerd level conversation being had.
Na continues to test the new Callaway Epic
Kevin Na is one of the last holdouts on tour with an original Epic driver in the bag, and again this week we spotted him testing one of the new Epic Speed drivers. Considering his chances this week based on the course length, it will be interesting to see if he officially made the switch.
Maverick’s unique Toulon
Maverick McNealy’s slant-neck San Diego has a very different shape from the retail version and looks to be both longer heel to toe and also shallower—it reminds this writer of the classic Ping Anser 4.
Davis Love III has a full bag of familiar sticks
Davis Love has won the RBC Heritage 5 times (yes, 5) and this past champion has a full bag of Titleist gear including 718 AP2s and SM8 Vokey wedges. You can get all his full WITB here: Davis Love III WITB RBC Heritage
Who has 2 thumbs and loves to test putter? Matt Wallace
Matt Wallace was working with a number of Toulon putters Tuesday, and although they all had something a little different to offer, the one thing that stayed the same is his preferred 2-Thumb grip.
The grind doesn’t stop for Furyk
Did you know Jim Furyk is 3rd all-time on the PGA Tour career money list with over 71 million buckeroos banked. Crazy right? So imagine the drive it takes to continue to work your butt off week in and week out on both the PGA Tour and Champions Tour to find every edge.
Speaking of edge, Jim was seen on the range working with Callaway tour reps on a Callaway Epic Speed triple diamond to hopefully gain a few mph of ball speed. Gotta respect the grind.
Wedge Stamping Caviar: Have More Fun Edition
Pop open a tin of the finest beluga, GolfWRXers… In all seriousness, it’s less jelly-like substance, more richness of intrigue than salt-cured roe at Wedge Stamping Caviar as we present to you some of the finest instances of hammer-and-stamp work on the PGA Tour.
In this initial serving, we’re mining photos from October and November at PGA Tour stops, including the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open, the Cadence Bank Houston Open, and the RSM Classic.
So grab your mother-of-pearl spoon and dig in — with restraint, please.
The traditional K.I.S.S. stamping on a BV proto: first and last initial, demonstrated here by Andrew Landry. Bonus points for the bounce angle (8) stamp.
When your last name is something imposing/interesting, you’re definitely stamping it on your wedge as Cole Hammer has done here in a “University of Texas” colorway.
Simple, perfect stamping for Xuewen Luo.
Patrick Cantlay is still rolling with a SM7. Ultimate K.I.S.S. to stick with a previous generation wedge with stamped initials. Bent loft (47 degrees) is a classy touch.
Excellent #perspective on Kevin Roy’s 54-degree Vokey.
Anytime a custom grind wears off the loft number, it’s caviar. Lovely patina on Woodland’s Wilson, too.
Another favorite motif: Tiny initials pattern (as demonstrated by Palmer Jackson).
The Webb Simpson traditional. Maybe the longest-serving stamping on Tour.
Not a stamping on Akshay Bhatia’s Jaws Raw, but we’ll serve it up anyway for reasons immediately discernible to the seasoned palate.
Photos from the 2022 RSM Classic
GolfWRX was live this week from the RSM Classic in Sea Island, Georgia, for the last event of the 2022 calendar year.
We have: Eight general galleries. 12 WITBs — including some lefty love for Akshay Bhatia — and a ton of putters for your perusal.
Check out links to all our photos below!
- 2022 RSM Classic – Monday #1
- 2022 RSM Classic – Monday #2
- 2022 RSM Classic – Monday #3
- 2022 RSM Classic – Tuesday #1
- 2022 RSM Classic – Tuesday #2
- 2022 RSM Classic – Tuesday #3
- 2022 RSM Classic – Wednesday #1
- 2022 RSM Classic – Wednesday #2
- Matt Wallace – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Erik Barnes – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Spencer Ralston – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Palmer Jackson – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Scott Harrington – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Kyle Westmoreland – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Conner Godsey – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Webb Simpson – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Akshay Bhatia – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Tim Weinhart – GA PGA Section Champ – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Bryson Nimmer – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Jon Lester – WITB – 2022 RSM Classic
- Nick Hardy’s custom Swag putter – 2022 RSM Classic
- Odyssey/Toulon putters – 2022 RSM Classic
- Kevin Roy’s custom Cameron putter – 2022 RSM Classic
- Keith Mitchell’s custom Cameron putters – 2022 RSM Classic
- Richy Werenski – new 2023 FootJoy HyperFlex shoes – 2022 RSM Classic
- Bill Haas’ custom Cameron putter – 2022 RSM Classic
- Cameron putters – 2022 RSM Classic
- JJ Spaun’s Cameron putter cover – 2022 RSM Classic
- Jason Dufner with Cobra AeroJet Driver & 3 wood – 2022 RSM Classic
- Kevin Chappell’s custom Cameron putter – 2022 RSM Classic
- Richy Werenski’s custom Cameron putter – 2022 RSM Classic
- Matt Kuchar’s new Bridgestone 221CB irons – 2022 RSM Classic
Photos from the 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
GolfWRX was on site this week ahead of the 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open at Memorial Park Golf Course.
The year is winding down, but the wraparound 2022-2023 season is just getting underway, so players are poised to do a bit of tinkering ahead of January equipment launches. To that end, we got an in-hand look at Justin Rose’s new prototype “JR” irons. We also spotted new shafts from KBS and Mitsubishi as well as new grips from SuperStroke.
Check out all of our photos below.
- 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open – Monday #1
- 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open – Monday #2
- 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open – Tuesday #1
- 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open – Tuesday #2
- 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open – Tuesday #3
- 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open – Tuesday #4
- Johannes Veerman – WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Richy Werenski – WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Danny Lee – WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Ben Kern – So. Texas PGA Section Champ – WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Justin Rose (mini WTB) custom JR irons – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Kevin Roy – WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Eric Cole – WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Gary Woodland WITB – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Carson Young’s custom Cameron – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- New Mitsubishi Tensei K series shaft – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Cameron putter – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Garrick Higgo’s custom Cameron – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Tyler Duncan’s custom Cameron putter – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- New Super Stroke Zenergy grips – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- New EyeLine Golf training aids – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- New KBS prototype iron shaft – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
- Zac Blair – New Titleist TRS 1 driver – 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open
Club Junkie reviews: Ping’s new i230 irons
Morning 9: Poulter offended by Rory’s comments | DOJ expanding inquiry | Phil on Rory
Photos from the 2022 RSM Classic
GolfWRX Spotlight: Takomo Iron 101T
Russell Henley’s winning WITB: 2022 World Wide Technology Championship at Mayakoba
Gary Woodland WITB 2022 (November)
GolfWRX Q&A: Holderness & Bourne
Eric Cole WITB 2022 (November)
Quinn Riley WITB 2022 (October)
Report: Details of Mickelson’s ‘deeply offensive’ act against Pat Perez are ‘so inflammatory’
Viktor Hovland’s winning WITB: 2022 Hero World Challenge
Driver: Ping G425 LST (9 degrees @8.4) Shaft: Fujikura Speeder TR 661 TX (45.75 inches) 3-wood: TaylorMade Stealth Plus (15 degrees)...
Justin Thomas WITB 2022 (December)
Driver: Titleist TSR3 (10 degrees @9.25) Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 60 TX 3-wood: Titleist TS3 (15 degrees) Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei...
Matt Wallace WITB 2022 (November)
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed (9 degrees) Shaft: Aldila Rogue Black 130 M.S.I. 60 TX 3-wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max (15 degrees) Shaft: Fujikura...
Richy Werenski WITB 2022 (November)
Richy Werenski what’s in the bag accurate as of the Cadence Bank Houston Open. More photos from the event here....
Club Junkie3 weeks ago
Club Junkie reviews: Ping’s new i230 irons
News6 days ago
Morning 9: Captain Weir | Homa’s LIV trolling | Norman-Tiger: History of the feud
19th Hole6 days ago
‘What’s going on?’ – Justin Thomas left frustrated with two officials over ruling at Hero
Whats in the Bag3 weeks ago
Ben Kern WITB 2022 (November)
19th Hole3 days ago
Golfers clash on final green at Australian Open over end-of-round tradition
19th Hole2 weeks ago
Nick Faldo makes bold Tiger call and aims cheeky dig at Rickie Fowler during ESPN appearance
Opinion & Analysis1 week ago
The Wedge Guy: Why modern irons don’t make sense to me
News2 weeks ago
Morning 9: Leishman on potential Masters ban | Rahm doubles down | Ko nabs big prize