Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 4 votes

Tour Striker Smart Ball

136 replies to this topic

#1 ts511

ts511

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176250
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

I order one. Got it in yesterday. It is not much more than a $30.00 beach ball, but I bought the idea more than anything. I swung my club with it in the house. I can't swing back further that 9:00. I thought I was limber, but it must have been arm run off. It is a stretch to swing back very far keeping the elbows close together. It has been raining for 3 days, as soon as I can I am going to hit ball with it. I am hoping being connected is the key.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 SullGolf

SullGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205351
GolfWRX Likes : 10799

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

It's really a ridiculous thing to buy, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who will say so, but I also just bought one.  Hasn't arrived yet though.

I've got a cheapo nerf ball, but don't take it to the range because it doesn't fit in my bag and I'm worried about it falling out and going downrange when I hit balls with it.  It's also a little difficult to arrange in the proper spot in the arms while gripping the club.  This solves both issues.  I guess I could have rigged something similar without too much difficulty, but I'd be taking time and effort to do so.  I guess I'm just lazy?

#3 Epriley

Epriley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240969
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I like the idea of the aid, however way to expensive. I am currently working on this drill at moment to engrain in my swing and I just use a balloon. A bag of 30 cost me 1 dollar.

Below.

Great drill though good luck.

#4 Dave D

Dave D

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1471

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostEpriley, on 08 April 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I like the idea of the aid, however way to expensive. I am currently working on this drill at moment to engrain in my swing and I just use a balloon. A bag of 30 cost me 1 dollar.

Below.

Great drill though good luck.
that's a brilliant idea and super cheap!
Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-9 Irons: Under construction
Wedges: Mizuno T7 46*, 50*, 54* & 60* - DG wedge flex
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 344

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. The balloon is a good idea. I hope it is not windy out:) I don't think there is enough structure w a balloon though.

Yes, it is expensive for what it is, but...if it helps you, which it will, it is worth every nickel and more. Besides, the thing is a lot more rugged and built to last. I've used my protos w hundreds of student in the Arizona sun and they are still in good shape. Good for arm pit connection drills and arm structure drills. Unfortunately, we've almost blown threw our first batch and we have a little delay restocking.

#6 TheBoomer

TheBoomer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67458
  • Ebay ID:theboomer009
GolfWRX Likes : 599

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostSullGolf, on 08 April 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

It's really a ridiculous thing to buy, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who will say so, but I also just bought one.  Hasn't arrived yet though.

I've got a cheapo nerf ball, but don't take it to the range because it doesn't fit in my bag and I'm worried about it falling out and going downrange when I hit balls with it.  It's also a little difficult to arrange in the proper spot in the arms while gripping the club.  This solves both issues.  I guess I could have rigged something similar without too much difficulty, but I'd be taking time and effort to do so.  I guess I'm just lazy?

You call it ridiculous but then give reasons why it's not .......
Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

#7 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Handicap:wife
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

i practice with mine all the time. well worth it

#8 Dinosaur

Dinosaur

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274577
  • Handicap:20.8
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Really?  P.T. Barnum got it right.  It amazes me what golfers will pay for anything touted as a "golf training aid".  But, whatever, if you feel it works then it is well worth it. I do like the idea of it having a tether though. A piece of netting would  work just as well.  If I were to spend the money, I think I would go with that gizmo that braces between your arms as advocated by I believe, "Smart Connection Golf".
"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

#9 ts511

ts511

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176250
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostCmartingolf, on 10 April 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

View Postts511, on 08 April 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

I order one. Got it in yesterday. It is not much more than a $30.00 beach ball, but I bought the idea more than anything. I swung my club with it in the house. I can't swing back further that 9:00. I thought I was limber, but it must have been arm run off. It is a stretch to swing back very far keeping the elbows close together. It has been raining for 3 days, as soon as I can I am going to hit ball with it. I am hoping being connected is the key.

Exactly! Your flexibility will improve with use.

I coach a Web.com guy who can rip full drivers with the ball in his forearms. I understand from some students, Martin Kaymer was doing something similar at Augusta on Tuesday.

Thank you very much and I hope you reap the benefits of a synced up body/arms motion.

I hit balls with it for the first time yesterday. I have been hitting balls off the toe, with this center of the club face. Felt good. Can still only swing to 9:00 back, but if that is where I lose connection, it is probably as far back as I need to swing. Thanks Martin

Edited by ts511, 10 April 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#10 SullGolf

SullGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Martin Kaymer was just using this on the range at the Masters this morning. Apparently guys named Martin like this drill. Though he didn't seem to be holding on to it through the swing.  One announcer loved it, one thought it was stupid.

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Dinosaur

Dinosaur

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

View PostSullGolf, on 13 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Martin Kaymer was just using this on the range at the Masters this morning. Apparently guys named Martin like this drill. Though he didn't seem to be holding on to it through the swing.  One announcer loved it, one thought it was stupid.

Posted Image

I think that is called a "P Ball".  Looks like an ordinary tennis ball to me though.
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

#12 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 346

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostSullGolf, on 13 April 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

One announcer loved it, one thought it was stupid.

Bobby Clampett was the guy who didn't like it.

#13 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 3067

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

Second paragraph is gold.

#14 SullGolf

SullGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Got mine today and was messing around with it indoors.  As expected.  It's like the ball drill I already know I like, but no chasing it around when I drop it. As I said, I've never hit balls on the range with the ball in place because I don't want to throw it down range somehow.  Keeping my arms together on the takeaway is probably the single best swing thought that I use on the course, so having something to reinforce that helps me.  It probably costs less than $5 to make in China, but I'm okay paying the price because it works for me.  I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would rather spend the time making their own to save $25 though.  

I'm looking forward to taking it to the range, and will try to report on the session if I remember.  Also, one thing that I haven't seen it advertised for is putting, but it's good to use for that too.

#15 Golfah

Golfah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241809
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

What works much better for me is a nerf football instead of a ball.  I made one of these gadgets awhile back by taking a few feet of climbing webbing, punching through the side of a 2-color nerf football, and tying a knot to adjust length.

The oblong shape of the football gives visual feedback as to where your elbows are pointing (mostly right elbow), and the different colors of the ball on the 2 halves is an additional reference.  I found with a round ball, I could chicken wing back my right elbow and still be "connected".  With the football, it's obvious at 9'o clock when the bottom tip of the ball is pointed backwards something is wrong.

#16 tm3

tm3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81192
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:54 AM

How is this better than the Ledbetter swing link or a belt holding the arms?

#17 Dinosaur

Dinosaur

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

View Posttm3, on 11 May 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

How is this better than the Ledbetter swing link or a belt holding the arms?

none, but probably more consistent and easier to use. I believe it is Zach Allen that advocates using a belt. With the belt, there is no doubt what you are doing on the range, and no chance of somebody thinking you have an eccentric taste in jewelry.
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

#18 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

#19 stevw

stevw

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29129
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

That's slightly bigger than the Smart Ball from what I can tell. Should I be looking to keep the SB between my forearms throughout the entire swing, or is is made more for 9/3 swings?

#20 bath4golf

bath4golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103791
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:bathe
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hey Martin. Been using the ts clubs with my students with success.  The visual of the club alone helps communicate the idea itself. I was wondering your thoughts on students who can easily create forward divots with the line drill but still struggle when the ball is present.  I watched to see if they are just dumping the club at the ball and failing to rotate shoulders through the ball...tried getting them to focus on pp#3 through thegh the hit but this right side concepts in only seems to exacerbate the dumping...any thoughts.
Thanks,
Ed

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Atyler

Atyler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94572
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

I just ordered one of these.  I was swinging with a nerf ball after Monte suggested it for my "stuck" right elbow.  This will prevent the the embarrassing walk into the driving range to retrieve it. :)   35 bucks seems reasonable to me.

#22 SullGolf

SullGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

I got my Smart Ball a few weeks ago and have had a chance to use it for a few practice sessions now.  My big swing issue is working the takeaway way inside, having my arms trail way behind my pivot, and doing an early flip.  The Smart Ball (or any ball between the arms) is really a continuation of a swing thought that works well for me, which is to keep the forearms together in the takeaway.  It definitely seems to be making some improvements to my swing.  I've hit some shots on the range that were just towering, so high that I figured they must be a flip, but traveling more than normal distance (my swing normally results in lower iron shots).  

Very pleased so far.  The other day I had my best practice session that I can ever remember having.  Haven't gotten to the course as much as I'd like.  The times I have played I was hitting the ball better overall, but got sunk by a few bad penalties and short game blow ups.  Playing 36 this weekend so we'll see if it continues to work magic for me.

Is it better than any cheap nerf ball that is rigged with some rope?  Possibly not.  But the lanyard to tether it to me is the only reason I use it on the range.  Otherwise I'd live in fear of throwing the ball down range.  It's also real easy to inflate/deflate, so it's light and portable.  Will live in my bag for the time being.  To me, it's been worth the $35.

Edited by SullGolf, 13 May 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#23 texasdave

texasdave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3938
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostSullGolf, on 13 May 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

I got my Smart Ball a few weeks ago and have had a chance to use it for a few practice sessions now.  My big swing issue is working the takeaway way inside, having my arms trail way behind my pivot, and doing an early flip.  The Smart Ball (or any ball between the arms) is really a continuation of a swing thought that works well for me, which is to keep the forearms together in the takeaway.  It definitely seems to be making some improvements to my swing.  I've hit some shots on the range that were just towering, so high that I figured they must be a flip, but traveling more than normal distance (my swing normally results in lower iron shots).  

Very pleased so far.  The other day I had my best practice session that I can ever remember having.  Haven't gotten to the course as much as I'd like.  The times I have played I was hitting the ball better overall, but got sunk by a few bad penalties and short game blow ups.  Playing 36 this weekend so we'll see if it continues to work magic for me.

Is it better than any cheap nerf ball that is rigged with some rope?  Possibly not.  But the lanyard to tether it to me is the only reason I use it on the range.  Otherwise I'd live in fear of throwing the ball down range.  It's also real easy to inflate/deflate, so it's light and portable.  Will live in my bag for the time being.  To me, it's been worth the $35.

Sounds just like me, my order just got placed!!!!!
.               TaylorMade M4 10.5*
                Taylormade M2 Tour 15* (2017)
                Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
                Mizuno 919 Forged 5-PW
                Vokey SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
                Nike Method Matter B 1/07
                Titleist Pro V1x

#24 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40915
  • Ebay ID:none
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hey Martin,

Went on the website to order the Smart Ball today, said it was out of stock.  Put my info in to be notified when ready, but wanted to see if you may have any idea as to when they might be ready for sale?

BTW:  One of the better training aid ideas I've seen in a while!

Thanks

#25 diehllane

diehllane

Reverend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312797
  • Ebay ID:diehllane
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

View Postsmoothie4896, on 01 July 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

Hey Martin,

Went on the website to order the Smart Ball today, said it was out of stock.  Put my info in to be notified when ready, but wanted to see if you may have any idea as to when they might be ready for sale?

BTW:  One of the better training aid ideas I've seen in a while!

Thanks
The other post I saw he mentioned a date of July 20 getting a new order from China.

Driver:      Bombtech Grenade 10.5
3W:          Mizuno JPX EZ
Hybrid:     Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 3h, 4h, 5h
Irons:       Mizuno JPX 825 6-9i
Wedges:  Vokey SM4 46.08, 52.08, 58.09, 64.07
Putter:     SeeMore Si5
Ball:         Vice Pro Plus
WITB Link

#26 Emiliouf

Emiliouf

Trusting my Golf Swing finally

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131841
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Hey guys, I just got notification that the Tour Striker Smart Ball is available.  Free Shipping in the US and here is a $5 off coupon code as well. Here is the link.
Tour Striker Smart Ball
G30 10.5 driver
G30 3 wood
G30 19 degree hybrid
Ping I15 4-PW
Ping Glide 52, 60 SS
Callaway big daddy tour 2 56 degree
SC Dual Balance Newport

#27 whatshannenin

whatshannenin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39849
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

What's the discount code?

#28 golfnff

golfnff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76937
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Got my early bird order notification this morning as well.  Can't wait to get to work with this

#29 Emiliouf

Emiliouf

Trusting my Golf Swing finally

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131841
  • Handicap:20

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Oops. Here it is the discount code. smartball4bettergolf
G30 10.5 driver
G30 3 wood
G30 19 degree hybrid
Ping I15 4-PW
Ping Glide 52, 60 SS
Callaway big daddy tour 2 56 degree
SC Dual Balance Newport

#30 PhiQuanTu

PhiQuanTu

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137024

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Just ordered mine as well. My "early bird" email says that this ($5) worm will go dead soon. So, order yours today!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors