Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Walking vs Riding

Pace of play

251 replies to this topic

Poll: Walking vs Riding (615 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer to walk or ride when playing?

  1. Walk (410 votes [66.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 66.67%

  2. Ride (99 votes [16.10%])

    Percentage of vote: 16.10%

  3. Depends on who you play with. (106 votes [17.24%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 dasams

dasams

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415690
  • Joined: 03/14/2016
  • Location:Was Marin but soon Palm Desert
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

View PostMatt J, on 19 November 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

Hard to believe WRX would skew this far towards walkers.  That's gotta buck the national trend a lot.  Cool to see.  I feel like the vast majority of players in my region prefer to ride.

The vanity results you cite are like a 20 capper claiming a 12.  When was the last time you saw 4 groups walking for every group riding?  Oops, never mind.  These are WRXers.  Carry on :)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#242 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 20260

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

I played a round Saturday morning at Oxmoor Valley (Valley) in Birmingham, AL. It was my 6th round in 3 days, so I was riding. I was in the first group out with 3 walkers. I asked if they minded if I jumped out in front of them, as I was playing another round on the Ridge course later that morning. They said to go ahead. I figured I'd finish in 2.5 hours, and wouldn't see them after the first two holes. Lol. These three guys were on my tail the entire round. I'd be putting out on a green, and look back to see them walking off the teebox. I was mightily impressed.

2

#243 tiderider

tiderider

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 02 April 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I played a round Saturday morning at Oxmoor Valley (Valley) in Birmingham, AL. It was my 6th round in 3 days, so I was riding. I was in the first group out with 3 walkers. I asked if they minded if I jumped out in front of them, as I was playing another round on the Ridge course later that morning. They said to go ahead. I figured I'd finish in 2.5 hours, and wouldn't see them after the first two holes. Lol. These three guys were on my tail the entire round. I'd be putting out on a green, and look back to see them walking off the teebox. I was mightily impressed.

an older couple and a 30ish guy with a pull cart?

3

#244 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 20260

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

View Posttiderider, on 21 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 02 April 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I played a round Saturday morning at Oxmoor Valley (Valley) in Birmingham, AL. It was my 6th round in 3 days, so I was riding. I was in the first group out with 3 walkers. I asked if they minded if I jumped out in front of them, as I was playing another round on the Ridge course later that morning. They said to go ahead. I figured I'd finish in 2.5 hours, and wouldn't see them after the first two holes. Lol. These three guys were on my tail the entire round. I'd be putting out on a green, and look back to see them walking off the teebox. I was mightily impressed.

an older couple and a 30ish guy with a pull cart?

I believe so.

4

#245 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Walked again yesterday and didn't feel fatigued at all during the round. (This morning was a different story however).  

   I think my stamina for walking is getting much better, however I also think for me I need to hydrate the night before and morning of a round as well. Down side is having to bring 3 bottles of water and a PowerAde with me on the push cart.  Lastly I have realized there is a smarter way to walk a course. If I am in the rough or even on the wrong fairway, I make sure I walk on the cart path or shortly mown areas only. Even if it's more steps they are easy steps.  No pushing thought thick wet rough and up and over hills if at all possible. Leave the cart in the fairway and take a couple clubs.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5 or Cleveland #6
   Srixon XV - K3 - Vice Pro

5

#246 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 5811

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

View PostBreak81, on 29 April 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

Walked again yesterday and didn't feel fatigued at all during the round. (This morning was a different story however).  

   I think my stamina for walking is getting much better, however I also think for me I need to hydrate the night before and morning of a round as well. Down side is having to bring 3 bottles of water and a PowerAde with me on the push cart.  Lastly I have realized there is a smarter way to walk a course. If I am in the rough or even on the wrong fairway, I make sure I walk on the cart path or shortly mown areas only. Even if it's more steps they are easy steps.  No pushing thought thick wet rough and up and over hills if at all possible. Leave the cart in the fairway and take a couple clubs.

Good on ya for keeping at it! Any of these push carts can wear you out in a hurry if you don't stick to the short grass.

I remember one August I played 36 holes down at Kiawah. During the afternoon round I was guzzling my umpteenth bottle of water along about the 15th hole and the caddie said, "It's a little late for hydrating after 33 holes". I told him I wasn't still hydrating to feel better then, I was keeping at it to feel better the next morning...
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

6

#247 Mysticfalcon

Mysticfalcon

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418736
  • Joined: 04/02/2016
  • Location:Vermont
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:rboskind
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

Ive walked 45 holes in a day before.  I only ride in a cart for League and scrambles.

7

#248 hahanice

hahanice

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363663
  • Joined: 02/23/2015
  • Location:Northern VA
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

So I actually want some opinions. I walk 9 or 18 about 5 days a week. I like walking and feel like I play better when I do. Usually when I finish 18 I am exhausted. I'm ok with that but I'm pretty active so if I have soccer, bball, gym etc. then I usually can't do both. friend of mine rides so I've been clipping on with him lately, and it's amazing how fresh I feel after a round...

so my question is. Should I just get the cart plan? It's 1000 for the year and I'd definitely get my money's worth. If I did this I would then try and get back to doing more gym and other activities that I'm skipping out on under the pretense that I'm getting great exercise walking the course.

Other option is to just keep walking and ride the 1 or 2 days a week I have bball or soccer or something.

Or just do as I do now and not play golf on those days

8

#249 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

View Posthahanice, on 12 May 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

So I actually want some opinions. I walk 9 or 18 about 5 days a week. I like walking and feel like I play better when I do. Usually when I finish 18 I am exhausted. I'm ok with that but I'm pretty active so if I have soccer, bball, gym etc. then I usually can't do both. friend of mine rides so I've been clipping on with him lately, and it's amazing how fresh I feel after a round...

so my question is. Should I just get the cart plan? It's 1000 for the year and I'd definitely get my money's worth. If I did this I would then try and get back to doing more gym and other activities that I'm skipping out on under the pretense that I'm getting great exercise walking the course.

Other option is to just keep walking and ride the 1 or 2 days a week I have bball or soccer or something.

Or just do as I do now and not play golf on those days
  I walk for the exercise.  That being said, if I did other activities on a regular basis, I would prefer to ride. Unless you are going to give up golfing on those days I think you already made your decision.
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5 or Cleveland #6
   Srixon XV - K3 - Vice Pro

9

#250 NEhomer

NEhomer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Joined: 04/04/2018
  • Location:Western, MA
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

View Posthahanice, on 12 May 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

So I actually want some opinions. I walk 9 or 18 about 5 days a week. I like walking and feel like I play better when I do. Usually when I finish 18 I am exhausted. I'm ok with that but I'm pretty active so if I have soccer, bball, gym etc. then I usually can't do both. friend of mine rides so I've been clipping on with him lately, and it's amazing how fresh I feel after a round...

so my question is. Should I just get the cart plan? It's 1000 for the year and I'd definitely get my money's worth. If I did this I would then try and get back to doing more gym and other activities that I'm skipping out on under the pretense that I'm getting great exercise walking the course.

Other option is to just keep walking and ride the 1 or 2 days a week I have bball or soccer or something.

Or just do as I do now and not play golf on those days

Or just do as I do now and not play golf on those days


This.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#251 smeal818

smeal818

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469312
  • Joined: 05/27/2017
  • Location:PA
  • Ebay ID:gibbles9446
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

For me, it simply depends on the course. More often than not though, 9 will warrant a walk and 18 a cart will be used.

11

#252 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

So I walked today and the heat was on (90 degrees).   Maybe it was the 3 mile hike I did last night with the dog but today kicked my a**.  

    I think anything over 85 degrees is going to be out of my comfort zone this summer. Good news is I got a great workout, bad news my index is going up!!
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5 or Cleveland #6
   Srixon XV - K3 - Vice Pro

12




Also tagged with Pace of play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors