Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Walking vs Riding

Pace of play

227 replies to this topic

Poll: Walking vs Riding (543 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer to walk or ride when playing?

1. Walk (365 votes [67.22%])

Percentage of vote: 67.22%

2. Ride (88 votes [16.21%])

Percentage of vote: 16.21%

3. Depends on who you play with. (90 votes [16.57%])

Percentage of vote: 16.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 medicoreMAgolfer

medicoreMAgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425552
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:29 AM

hepkat, on 24 September 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Does it speed up play?  Sure, but it comes at a cost.  Carts attract more idiots.  

Idiots aside, carts account for significant wear and tear on a course (hardpan around greens and other high traffic areas).  Cart paths help, but then you've gotta contend with all the ugly, hard surfaces (which also come at a cost).  

Walking a course gives you richer perspective as well as a sense of rhythm you can't get sitting in a cart. Your feet transmit a lot more information than you may realize too.  If you think of golf as a sport, you best walk.  

You raised a couple of points here

1. Carts don't speed up play when course is designed with walking in mind (short green to tees) unless you're in the cart by yourself or two players are golfers who only hit down the center.  I would also agree with the contention that there are slow players and fast players - carts vs walking make no difference

2. You nailed it on wear and tear - carts are so bad and even contentious drivers of carts still hurt golf courses and the solution is hardscape, which is so unattractive on a golf course, not to mention exceedingly penal when you're ball hits it!  My home course is a great walking course, but probably splits rounds 50/50 and we are gradually removing pavement where we can have more natural "paths"

3. I've never thought about why I play better walking - but rythym is probably the right word.  I just get into a better feel than I do walking

I will say one area where the cart works is - socializing.  I do find myself being more chatty in a cart as I am forced to sit next to someone where as walking I can let my inner introvert come out and just focus on getting to my ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#212 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 16274

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

It is puzzling just how many able-bodied young players ride carts by default, as if that's how the game is meant to be played (even if course is an easy walk).

I thought that too until I talked to a few younger players and got their perspective. For the most part they see the game as an opportunity to unwind and socialize with their buddies. They generally work out on a regular basis, so they're not doing it for the exercise. I on the other hand sit at a desk all day getting fat(ter), and never hit the gym. I ride a bike 4 miles a day, but that has very little benefit. Golf is my primary form of exercise.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't a bunch of idiots out there in carts that should be walking.

#213 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3926

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:29 AM

Argonne69, on 25 October 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

It is puzzling just how many able-bodied young players ride carts by default, as if that's how the game is meant to be played (even if course is an easy walk).

I thought that too until I talked to a few younger players and got their perspective. For the most part they see the game as an opportunity to unwind and socialize with their buddies. They generally work out on a regular basis, so they're not doing it for the exercise. I on the other hand sit at a desk all day getting fat(ter), and never hit the gym. I ride a bike 4 miles a day, but that has very little benefit. Golf is my primary form of exercise.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't a bunch of idiots out there in carts that should be walking.

At the university in my town, over the course of any afternoon you will see hundreds of female students walking from the main part of campus to the enormous "wellness center" where they go to exercise. It's about 3/10 to 7/10 of a mile depending on where exactly they're coming from. So call it a half-mile walk each way to and from their daily workout.

Virtually every single male student who goes to work out there, drives a car.  From about 3 PM on it is a complete traffic snarl and must take those guys 20+ minutes on a bad day just to drive their car the half mile to their workout.  You can look at the line of cars waiting to park and it is literally 90% guys while the girls walk right past them and stroll into the door.

By and large, young men in our culture are not going to walk anywhere if they can get there in a motorized vehicle.  Walking is a girls activity, guys drive to get places.  Even when the "place" in question is to go work out. Damndest thing but it is the same cultural norm that makes virtually every 20-45 year old at my club use carts for golf.  The walkers all either teenagers or middle-age and older guys who came along before walking ANYWHERE  became so uncool.

The exception is the hard-core cyclists.  They ride their bikes everywhere and are both genders.

Edited by North Butte, 26 October 2017 - 06:30 AM.

Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

#214 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Don't even get me started on my neighbors up the street whose 5-to-12 year old grandkids go 300 yards to the end of the block in order to play in the city park there. They let the 12-year drive a golf cart with several younger kids piled on. Rather than send them on a 4-minute walk (to go run around for an hour in the park) they risk a young child driving on city streets with a bunch of other kids clinging on.

I'd arrest them for child neglect if I had the authority.

#215 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11073

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

I'm 41 and walk 90%+ of my rounds.  I don't notice any correlation to age and riding vs. walking where I play.

Often I'm the only walker in the group which gets old.

We have a very strong cart culture at our club.  The gold standard is to live close enough to park your buggy in the garage rigged up with your clubs and ride every round.

Personally, my favorite golf doesn't have cart paths.  It's pretty ridiculous how much an impermeable surface changes design intent.  I like caddies and walking but I'm admittedly old fashioned.  We need more jobs in this country but most would rather spend $8k on a cart, that's tangible, has resale, than caddie fees that they see as 'throwing' money away.  Nevermind a generation of kids that never get exposed to the game, never have an opportunity to meet and converse with adults, never get involved in the economy by making and spending a little money....  to me life is about people not stuff.

#216 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 16274

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

North Butte, on 26 October 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Don't even get me started on my neighbors up the street whose 5-to-12 year old grandkids go 300 yards to the end of the block in order to play in the city park there. They let the 12-year drive a golf cart with several younger kids piled on. Rather than send them on a 4-minute walk (to go run around for an hour in the park) they risk a young child driving on city streets with a bunch of other kids clinging on.

I'd arrest them for child neglect if I had the authority.

Heck, I'd be surprised if they didn't arrest them for neglect by letting them walk. Do kids walk anywhere these days? When I was a kid we walked or rode our bikes (unsupervised) everywhere, including to and from school. If it was more than a few miles, we'd take the bus. We didn't get chauffeured around in a minivan.

#217 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

There are at least a couple families whose homes are within visual distance of the local elementary school. I mean I can stand in the front yard of the school and see up the road to each family's driveway, yard and front porch. Less than 1/4 mile.

Each of these families puts their kids into the car, backs out of the driveway and drives around the block so they can join the huge queue of cars waiting to pull up to the front door of the school and hand their kids off the waiting teachers who line blocks of kids up and march them into the building.

They spend 10, 15, sometimes 20 minutes or more sitting in an idling car all the while being within visual distance of the driveway they just backed out of. And they repeat the whole thing for after-school pickup.

In this same neighborhood, any hour of the day you will see couples or small groups of old people (like us) out walking for exercise. It is a totally walkable, pleasant neighborhood which is why we moved there many years ago. Yet for certain families, the concept of taking your kids hand and walking them 2-3 blocks to school is as foreign as trying to flap your arms and fly.

I will say each morning there are a handful of locals who do indeed walk their kids to school. But nobody, ever, under any circumstances sends the kids off alone. There was one house maybe 15-20 years ago where I'd see the mom standing on the porch watching while the older sister held kid brother's hand and they walked down the street to the school. Then the mom would go back inside, satisfied they were safe. Nothing like that happens in today's climate of fear. I honestly wonder if those parents don't imagine someone would pull up in a black van and snatch their kids right in front of their eyes or something similar...

#218 honestveek

honestveek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446654
  • Handicap:??
  • Ebay ID:honestvique
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have only used a cart once in my life. I will walk for as long as I am physically able as I donít have much time to exercise so golf provides it. We played as a two ball today and was first out on an extremely hilly course (itís basically a hill with flags in) and the carts didnít see us for dust. We carry too and take far too much stuff so it was a good workout!

#219 golfer1g

golfer1g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483600
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:y5359
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Ride.  The course I play is really tough to walk

#220 Hat Trick

Hat Trick

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216173
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

I'm 55 and walk 99% of my golf rounds each season (about 75-85) up here in the north.  I've been playing since I was 10.  I grew up playing a nine hole city course. Every summer day I would walk 30 minutes to the golf course, play all day (27 holes) and then walk home.  If I wanted to play that what is what I had to do - one car in the family and it went to work with my Dad.

When people ask me why I continue to walk today my answer is very simple - "because I can".

I would encourage everyone to walk (unless there are health issues). Push carts are great and bags are lighter. Start by walking 9 and work your way up.

Last summer in Ireland when we went to a course, my fellow Americans in front of us wanted riding carts.  The 8 guys had to figure out what to do because the course only had two carts!  Guess that says something about our golf and their golf...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#221 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

I walked today for the first time in probably a year. Added about 5-6 strokes on the back as I tired out a bit.

Hopefully I can build up my stamina again. Felt great to walk though!
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

#222 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11073

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

Hard to believe WRX would skew this far towards walkers.  That's gotta buck the national trend a lot.  Cool to see.  I feel like the vast majority of players in my region prefer to ride.

#223 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

#TheWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6020

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

Once outside temps start to fall I like to walk. I sweat like a pimp in church, so when its really hot I prefer to ride. Better than dropping dead from dehydration on the third hole :swoon: .

November through March last year I walked 95% of my rounds and really enjoyed it. We played just as fast as (sometimes faster) than when using carts, my rhythm was better, my mental game was better, and the exercise was wonderful. I got to a point where I felt odd riding in a cart.

We normally play the tips during the season, but when we walk in the colder months we drop the woods, carry only irons, wedges, and putter, and play the white tees. Its like playing an entirely different course.

We have a cart culture at my home course, as many others have mentioned here. We do not even have a walking rate.

There is a 3rd graded living next door to me. I am the 2nd house from the corner, she is in the 3rd. From her front door to the bus stop on the corner is 60-70 yards. Her mom will put her in the car and drive to the corner and wait for the bus. I don't get it.

Edited by Hot Rod 71, 19 November 2017 - 07:50 AM.

Callaway EPIC 10* - Diamana W 60X
Callaway EPIC SZ 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ Blue 80X
Callaway 2018 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 120 (on order)
Callaway MD Forged 52, 56, 60 - Nippon Pro Modus Wedge 125
Odyssey Toulon Garage San Diego
Callaway Chrome Soft

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Srixon Z-Star Series Test Panel 2013
Tensei CK Blue Test Panel 2015
#TheWRX 2016

#224 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

Walked again today and even though I didn't feel like I was getting tired on the back, I must have been as I shot 8 strokes worse and lost all touch around the greens.

Better than a few weeks ago on the fatigue factor, but not better on the scorecard. Been walking a few times a week in the hills around my house to try and advance my conditioning to walk but I guess its going to take a few months to walk 18 and not see the scores increase late in the round.

it was unusually hot today (85 for late November) so even though I was drinking tons of water and gatorade the heat didn't help.
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

#225 Jmx

Jmx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468122
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

If I play bymyself I tend to ride, if my partner walks, I'll bring out the push cart. It all depends who I am with or what day it is.

#226 shotmark

shotmark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102090
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:31 AM

Apparently walking with a carry bag over 18 holes burns approx. 2000 calories against 1500 walking with a trolley and 1200 taking a buggy.

#227 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

My Garmin activity monitor usually estimates somewhere in the 800-1,100kcals range for 18 holes with my trolley. I’ve only ever carried my bag a couple times while wearing the Garmin but those rounds were slightly higher, maybe 1,200 or so.

It has the heart rate and GPS so the energy estimates ought to be pretty good. Yesterday it said just 747kcals which is unusually low but I was only out there three hours.

#228 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1264

Posted Yesterday, 08:10 AM

I love walking, I enjoy it more during winter since you tend to stay warmer...Ping just sent me a Hoofer 4 14 way with the G400 colors (thank you Jeff), I have the Birdie Blue Hoofer 4 14 way, it's the same bag BTW, but new never than less, so if the weather gets better it will be on the course very soon...
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Alta 55 X Flex, tipped 1", 44.5"
FW Wood----------Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour  32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

Also tagged with Pace of play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors