Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Adizero Tour golf shoes banned in the UK

Adizero spikes banned

42 replies to this topic

#1 chriswrightstuff

chriswrightstuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251094
  • Ebay ID:8174david
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hi all. Not sure if anyone else has raised this topic yet or not but it appears that the 2013 Adizero Tour shoes (Adidas premium footwear line) have been banned at several UK courses. We've had a very wet winter in the UK and many courses are still under water. As a result, lots of greens are fairly soft and are taking big spike marks/prints. The Adizero Tours leave monstrous spike marks on the greens and as a result have been banned at my home course and several others here in the UK.
Apparently Adidas are now aware of the issue and have said that they will tkae te feedback on board. Anyone with Adizero's spoken with Adidas? Thankfully I didn't get Adizero's for Christmas but if I did I'd probably be pretty p!$$ed off right now.
just wondering if there's anything like this going on elsewhere?

There's a very brief note on here RE the shoes
http://www.oxfordgol...page=green-fees

Taylormade SLDR 9.5* Elements Earth 7F5
Titleist 906f2 15* Fubuki Alpha
Titleist 712u 18*, Project X 6.5
Titleist 714AP2 3-pw, Project X 6.5
Vokey SM4 52, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Nice to see my old Club, Southfield getting a plug on GolfWrx!! Even if it's a negative one. Lol. Seriously though, you're right, it's been the wet weather that's caused it, and Oxford Golf Club has old non USGA Greens, designed by Harry Colt, and some of them are in shady areas of the Golf Course which have difficulty in drying out at the best of times. Even in Summer, some of the Greens there, can be softer and slower than some others on the Course, which makes putting interesting sometimes!! Interesting to hear that Adidas have taken on board these issues though.

#3 chriswrightstuff

chriswrightstuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Haha, it certainly wasn't intended as a plug, definitley not a negative one. I think it's a farily responsible course of action given the soft conditions at present.
Nice to see someone else that plays/played at Southfield, hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.
Vokey SM4 52, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport
WITB Link

#4 hankmoody

hankmoody

Love Boat Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275573
  • Handicap:14.9
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

What is it about the Adidas 2013s that are different from Footjoy DNAs or other softspike shoes if anyone knows?  Seems odd that it is one manufacturer one style, one year?
Callaway X2 Hot 10.5 w/Tour Blue  G25 3W
Callaway X2 Hot 4 & 5 hybrids
Mizuno JPX EZ 5-PW
Mizuno MP T4 50 & 54/Volkey SM4 58
Bettinardi BC 3 Carbon/Cameron Del Mar
B-330 RSX

#5 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

View Postchriswrightstuff, on 24 February 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Haha, it certainly wasn't intended as a plug, definitley not a negative one. I think it's a farily responsible course of action given the soft conditions at present.
Nice to see someone else that plays/played at Southfield, hope you enjoyed it as much as I do.

Yeah I grew up on it! Well not literally obviously, I mean my parents did have a home for us!!! Haha. But it's where I learnt my Golf, and go back there from time to time to see Tony the Head Pro, who's been there since Harry Colts' days I think!! And I'm a good friend of Joe Peperell in the Pro Shop. Good to see his brother Eddie doing pretty well on the European Tour. Eddie is a good lad.

But I always enjoy the old design of the Course. But not surprised about some of the soft Greens there.

#6 chriswrightstuff

chriswrightstuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

They make really deep indentations due to the length of the spikes, I believe it's not just the cleats or spikes, but also the very profound sole pattern that is causing problems. I recently played with a guy wearing them and it was plain to see that they really do leave big marks.
Vokey SM4 52, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport
WITB Link

#7 Tab373

Tab373

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128483
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

My late gran bought me a pair of black  adizero shoes just before she died. She didn't have much money but bought these for me. Now my home course has banned them they are just sitting in my garage. Have emailed Adidas to find out what there stance on it is and they haven't bothered to reply. I will never buy another Adidas/taylormade product ever again. Thanks for the memory adidas
Ping Rapture
Ping G25 4 wood
Adams dhy 21/24
Ping i20 5/u wedge
Ping gorge 52 58
Scotty Cam newport tei long neck

#8 Walkerdb7

Walkerdb7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248047
  • Ebay ID:Walkerdb7
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

my buddy is a greens keeper at a course outside Boston, MA. They tried to ban the shoes as he and the other green keepers hate the shoes and noted something about those specific shoes that tear up the course. They don't have complains about other models of shoes and he is Adidas shoe wearer himself. He compared the marks they leave to old metal spikes. The members wouldn't accept the ban because the pro shop was selling the shoes and therefor had to allow players to use them.

My guess is that its a very stiff sole with very aggressive tread pattern, probably put a lot of energy into the spike and causes them dig up the group

Edited by Walkerdb7, 24 February 2014 - 02:59 PM.

SLDR 9.5 Oban Devotion (Thanks WRX!)
Tour Exotics XG7 3W Fuel Tour
Tour Exotics XG7 Hybrid Fuel Tour
714 AP2s KBS C-Taper
Cameron Select GoLo Heavy
Vokey SM4 52, 58, 62

#9 Tab373

Tab373

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128483
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

It's Adidas fault as they should of tested the shoes on winter Uk greens rather than summer green in the US.nothing to do with the extreme wet weather the Uk just had mine were leaving massive marks on the green before the bad weather and I have played a variety of different courses from links courses to the Belfry. The new adizero one advert says more green keeper friendly so is this Adidas  admitting there is a problem with the old pair. And of course I now have to buy a new pair of shoes. Which after 3 months isn't right
Ping Rapture
Ping G25 4 wood
Adams dhy 21/24
Ping i20 5/u wedge
Ping gorge 52 58
Scotty Cam newport tei long neck

#10 chriswrightstuff

chriswrightstuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think it's a bit short sighted of Adidas not to forecast any problem but they are obviously great shoes that a lot of people wear. I suppose you'll get some wear out of them once we dry up a little over here but I can see why you're frustrated. Hopefully the sun and your Adizero shoes will be making regular appearences in the UK very soon.

Edited by chriswrightstuff, 24 February 2014 - 04:16 PM.

Vokey SM4 52, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Flip4000

Flip4000

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223625
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostWalkerdb7, on 24 February 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

my buddy is a greens keeper at a course outside Boston, MA. They tried to ban the shoes as he and the other green keepers hate the shoes and noted something about those specific shoes that tear up the course. They don't have complains about other models of shoes and he is Adidas shoe wearer himself. He compared the marks they leave to old metal spikes. The members wouldn't accept the ban because the pro shop was selling the shoes and therefor had to allow players to use them.

My guess is that its a very stiff sole with very aggressive tread pattern, probably put a lot of energy into the spike and causes them dig up the group

I think it's more that the full players weight is distributed through the spikes due to the sole design which emphasizes the spikes dig. Most shoes have the weight distributed through the whole sole of the shoe since the entire sole makes contact.

#12 TJ_Hooker

TJ_Hooker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318845
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I was just about to make a thread about these shoes, I've played 4 rounds with the adizeros and the marks i'm leaving on the greens are pretty bad.

Anyone know of spikes i could try that wouldn't be as damaging to greens?
Be the ball, Na-na-na-na-na-na....

#13 lsf_21

lsf_21

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174678
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I know when playing with a few guys who have these shoes. When they are putting you cant even see the spikes from where they are sinking into the greens.

Leaves awful cleat marks.

#14 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostTJ_Hooker, on 08 July 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

I was just about to make a thread about these shoes, I've played 4 rounds with the adizeros and the marks i'm leaving on the greens are pretty bad.

From what I understand that won't help.  It's how the spike pods are configured and raised that puts lots of pressure on the individual pods rather than distributing it across the sole that's causing the problem.  You could take the spikes out completely and likely have the same problem.

Seems like a not very well thought out design.  Spikes are soft, the soles aren't.  The old metal spikes are probably friendlier on greens.

Edited by BlkNGld, 08 July 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#15 TJ_Hooker

TJ_Hooker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318845
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostBlkNGld, on 08 July 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostTJ_Hooker, on 08 July 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

From what I understand that won't help.  It's how the spike pods are configured and raised that puts lots of pressure on the individual pods rather than distributing it across the sole that's causing the problem.  You could take the spikes out completely and likely have the same problem.

Seems like a not very well thought out design.  Spikes are soft, the soles aren't.  The old metal spikes are probably friendlier on greens.

Wow no wonder i got them for so cheap, thought it was kinda too good to be true.

Be the ball, Na-na-na-na-na-na....

#16 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142865
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

In conversation with adidas (Australia / NZ) at the moment.  Whilst they deny there is a design problem with these shoes, they have offered to supply another shoe from the adidas collection.

#17 jlg214

jlg214

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41073
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

I have a pair of the 2013 Adizero's and noticed the problem as well.  I switched the cleats to soft spike stealth that came in my FJ M projects.  They seem to do a better job at not leaving the craters the thin tech cleats did, but I can still mark up soft greens with them.

#18 taporsnap17

taporsnap17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317157
  • Ebay ID:taporsnap17
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

Just want to clarify, is it the latest model (the primarily blue ones in ads) or last years' (the white and yellows) or both?

I play in last year's models and do notice marks on greens but always wrote it off to the ground being very soft (which they often are where I play)

#19 rekklss

rekklss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326775
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

I just finished a tournament here in So. Cal.
The greens were so marked up - almost unputtable.
One of the guys in my group mentioned that the marks were from Adidas Adizero golf shoes.
He used to wear them - so I suspect he knows.
It was like putting a ping pong ball on a cobble stone street.
Almost comical ... except our putting was turning into 3 putts.
Not good for our scores ... obviously.
So what can be done ?
Is it possible to actually ban these shoes/cleats ?
I am going to take pictures next time I see this ... I wish I had thought to do it yesterday.
Maybe someone can post some pictures of the damage these spikes make.

#20 Jigga

Jigga

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20062
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I just wore these shoes for the first time. Man, do they leave crazy spike marks. I bought them at GG. I wonder if I can return them or if I should reach out to Adidas?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 A_plan

A_plan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252118
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

taporsnap17, on 08 July 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

Just want to clarify, is it the latest model (the primarily blue ones in ads) or last years' (the white and yellows) or both?

I play in last year's models and do notice marks on greens but always wrote it off to the ground being very soft (which they often are where I play)

It was last years White/Yellow pair that are the culprits.

#22 taporsnap17

taporsnap17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317157
  • Ebay ID:taporsnap17
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

A_plan, on 16 July 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

taporsnap17, on 08 July 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

It was last years White/Yellow pair that are the culprits.

Bugger

#23 WillMK5

WillMK5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310237
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

What about the Adizero One shoe? Do they have the same spike problem that the Adizero Tour model has?

#24 thatboygaule

thatboygaule

IG- RichardGaule

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139920
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I dont know if it has been mentioned but can't you just change the spikes?
Titleist 913D2(A1) w/ Diamana Blue S+
Titleist 913F(A4) w/ Diamana Blue S+
Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW w/ NS PRO 105T
Titleist SM4 52* 58* w/ NS PRO 105T
Odyssey #7
WITB Link

#25 atlambert2

atlambert2

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221057
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

I would think that a spike like this would leave fewer marks as the pressure points on the actual spike are wider.

Posted Image

GeoffDickson, on 08 July 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

In conversation with adidas (Australia / NZ) at the moment.  Whilst they deny there is a design problem with these shoes, they have offered to supply another shoe from the adidas collection.
I would think that a spike like this

Geoff, any reason they offered to do this? I just ordered a pair of the grey/yellow and if this really is the case, I would happily exchange them for something of similar value so I am not tearing up greens.

Also, has anyone given thought to roughing up the spikes a bit aka dulling them down before play?

Titliest 913D3 9.5*, Diamana D+ 72s
Cally XHot 3Deep 14.5* Diamana D+ 82s
RBZ T.I. Proto Head 19* Diamana D+ 82s
909h 21*, XHot Pro 5-9, Cobra S3 Pro PW
MackDaddy 2 Tour Grind 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Protype #3, HEX Chrome+/ProV1x

#26 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

This isn't an issue based on the color of the shoes. It can be with any of the Adizero Tours. I have lost one spike once from two pairs of mine-- and I have a bunch more than two pairs. Seems that later production runs may be better, but there's also probably no good way to tell if your production run was early or late.

Anyway, I love these shoes, and find that they leave the same spike marks that everyone else's spiked shoes leave, and that's when the greens are left longer and are rolled and wet.

#27 HoffTTM

HoffTTM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130322
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Yeah I don't wear mine through the winter either, really terrible design fault and courses are completely right to ban them, I think the issue is not with the spikes themselves but how they are housed in the sole in a sort of protruding pod that puts a lot more pressure through the spike rather than the shoe as a whole. You can definitely tell Adizero footprints very very easily.

#28 BoomerSooner214

BoomerSooner214

Advanced

• 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115834
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

thatboygaule, on 17 July 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

I dont know if it has been mentioned but can't you just change the spikes?

I'm guessing you didn't read any of the previous responses did you?
Ping G25 9.5* Speeder TS 6.3x
Taylormade SLDR Mini Pro 73x Tour Spec
Ping Anser 20* VTS Red
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour-V 120X
Vokey SM5 52* F/Vokey TVD 58*K
Kingston KP1

#29 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 3,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Happened locally as well, last year with the AD0's first came out... several private clubs banned them.  Golf shops said they had no complaints, didn't believe me, until people started coming in saying course xxx won't let me wear these, I want my money back lol...
Callaway BB Alpha 10.5* Zeta Tour 60s
Callaway BB 15* Zeta 70s
Adams Super LS 22* Kuro Kage 80s
Callaway Apex 4-PW PX 6.0
MD2 52/56/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

#30 WillMK5

WillMK5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310237
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

WillMK5, on 16 July 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

What about the Adizero One shoe? Do they have the same spike problem that the Adizero Tour model has?

Any response on to this?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with Adizero, spikes, banned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors