Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hunt's WITB, Update 8-25-18 (Fujikura, Superstroke, Edel, Sun Mountain) on page 4!

Edel Golf Wishon Ping Mizuno Nippon

109 replies to this topic

#91 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 3354

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

RichieHunt, on 19 July 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

ebrasmus21, on 19 July 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

How are the accura shafts working out?  Also, did you give the steel fibers a go?  If so, what were your thoughts?  

My left elbow is starting to bother me and I'm thinking I need to give a good hard look at graphite in the irons.

The Accra's were solid, but they were too light for me.

I now have the Fujikura Pro 115i's in my irons and I love them.  I may take some pics of them tonight and put them in here.

I still have the Accra pulls.  I may sell them in the Unclassifieds.  They are a X-Stiff and a bit longer than standard so they can always be trimmed to fit most golfers.

RH

I need to test some of these shafts, Iím afraid anything in the 115 range would be too light for me.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2782

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

Here's my latest bag changes...including a change in my bag (and headcovers!)

IMG_20180825_223113688.jpg

IMG_20180825_223323353.jpg

IMG_20180825_223235465.jpg

IMG_20180825_223220562.jpg

RH

#93 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:12 PM

Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero, 9* loft, 45-1/8" Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution IV shaft (x-stiff)

3-wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero, 13* loft, 43-1/4" Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution IV shaft (x-stiff)

2-Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 17* loft, 41-1/4" Fujikura Atmos Blue 8H shaft (x-stiff)

3-Hybrid: Titleist, 816 H2, 19* loft, 40-3/4" Fujikura Atmos Blue 8H shaft (x-stiff)

4-iron thru P-Wedge: TaylorMade P790, standard lie and loft with Fujikura Pro 115i Tour Spec shaft (x-stiff)

S-Wedge: Miura K-Grind, 52* loft, 8* bounce, 36-1/8" Fujikura Pro 115i Tour Spec shaft (x-stiff)

L-Wedge: Edel Digger Grind, 60* loft, 22* bounce, 35-1/4" Fujikura Black MCI wedge shaft

Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #9, 34" loft, 3* loft, 71* lie angle.

IMG_20180825_223903249.jpg

evo shaft.jpeg

#94 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

p790.jpeg

pro 115 shaft.jpeg

edel wedge.jpeg

mci shaft.jpeg

grip.jpeg

RH

#95 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:44 PM

Here's a breakdown of my club specs.

Screenshot 2018-08-25 at 11.42.45 PM.png

RH

#96 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 3707

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:51 PM

22 degrees of bounce? That's insane ... How did you ever test into something like that?
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"

#97 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

Current thoughts on my WITB:

The Bag - I bought my Srixon staff bag off Ebay and a couple of the zippers were broke.  Plus, it doesn't fit in my hard case and I plan on doing more golf travel as I'm going to see David Orr in a month and then next year I hope to go to Vegas, Myrtle Beach, NY and LA.  I really love the Arnold Palmer Invitational driver headcover.  It's a real good quality weather.  I went with leather headcovers this time as knit headcovers only last about 3 years and they start falling apart.

Woods -The Evolution IV is an awesome shaft.  I really wish they had an 85 gram version for a 3-wood.  But it's very smooth butt section with a tip section that is quite stiff.  I hit the Rogue SubZero driver a long ways, but I still question if the M3 may be a better fit for forgiveness purposes.

Hybrids - These are quality hybrids, but I would like to get fitted thru TrueSpec Golf again to find the best fit as I think they spin a little too much for me.  The Atmos Blue Hybrid shaft is perfect for me.

Irons  - The big change is to the Fujikura Pro 115 shafts which are awesome.  It's time people start considering graphite shafts in irons as the only real advantage that steel gives a player is that it's cheaper.  

Wedges - I've been thinking of adding a 55 or 56 degree wedge for windy days where I'm going to miss more greens and it can be difficult to change trajectories with just a 52 and 60*.  I tried out the TaylorMade High-Toe for a while and please punch me in the face the next time I try to find a substitute for the Edel Digger Grind.  I just got the new Edel so I have a fresh head and installed the MCI shaft in it.  It's really, really freaking good.

Grips - I tried out the SuperStroke Soft Wraps and really liked them.  One of the things I found is that they weigh 66 grams and the Golf Pride Tour Wraps (midsize) weigh in at 58 grams.  Usually that would not make a difference to the MOI of the club, but the SuperStroke grips have more weight toward the mouth of the grip and it adds about 20 MOI units to the club.  So I have switched between Golf Pride and Superstroke depending on if I need to the move the MOI up or down.

Putter - I've actually putted well with this putter, but I still have issues on short putts and slow greens.  I'm going to see David Orr for a lesson at the end of September and he will fit me for a putter there.  It will be interesting to see what I'm fitted for.

RH

#98 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:11 PM

tatertot, on 25 August 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

22 degrees of bounce? That's insane ... How did you ever test into something like that?

Lots of pros have far more bounce on their wedges than what is stamped.  Many frequently go to the Tour Vans and either ask for the head to be grinded a certain way or they just get on the grinder and do it themselves.  

When I first moved to Florida, everybody was saying you needed a low bounce wedge, but I found the exact opposite.  Too easy to get stuck in the wiry/glue-like bermuda.  Either way, I've tried a lot of wedges and nothing compares to the Edel digger grind LW.  I can hit virtually any shot I need from it and from the most difficult of lies.

RH

#99 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1884

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

did you go to costal?
Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

#100 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 3707

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

RichieHunt, on 25 August 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

tatertot, on 25 August 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

Lots of pros have far more bounce on their wedges than what is stamped.  Many frequently go to the Tour Vans and either ask for the head to be grinded a certain way or they just get on the grinder and do it themselves.  

When I first moved to Florida, everybody was saying you needed a low bounce wedge, but I found the exact opposite.  Too easy to get stuck in the wiry/glue-like bermuda.  Either way, I've tried a lot of wedges and nothing compares to the Edel digger grind LW.  I can hit virtually any shot I need from it and from the most difficult of lies.

RH

Knew they did their own grinds, never knew they went that high with their bounces. Interesting.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:12 AM

Santiago Golf, on 26 August 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

did you go to costal?

Yessir.

RH

#102 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

tatertot, on 26 August 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

Knew they did their own grinds, never knew they went that high with their bounces. Interesting.

Edel wedges fit golfers by bounce angle.  At the time I had a pretty steep attack angle, so they fit me for the Digger Grind.  Now my attack angle is not steep at all, but the Digger grind still works well for me.  

Mike Adams was mostly the brain behind the wedge.  He had found in his time teaching golfers that they didn't have enough bounce in their wedges.  He did a study and found that low handicaps and pros had about 16 degrees of forward shaft lean at impact (I can't remember the length of the shot, I think it was 50 yards).  16* of foward shaft lean and say 8* of bounce doesn't add up and players were compensating so they didn't dig the leading edge into the turf.  Thus Edel designed wedges with a lot more bounce.  David Edel talks about a 'true bounce equation' in a GolfWRX podcast

http://www.golfwrx.c...ne-talks-about/

Mike Adams explained to me in detail what went into the design.  Mike used to grind wedges himself for students who he felt didn't have enough bounce.  He then wanted to create a fitting system based on bounce with wedges with more bounce.  He kinda had the Ping Eye 2 wedge design in mind, but David Edel configured something different to look more like the wedge they have now.  Then they brought in James Patrick Harrington (JP Wedges...now with Titleist) and that didn't work out.

I've tried the 52, 56 and 60 degree wedges.  The original heads...I felt the 52 and 56 degree heads were way too heavy.  They had the 52 degree (IIRC) at 304 grams, the 56 degree at 306 grams and the 60 degree at 308 grams.  Normally 52 degree heads are around 295 -300 grams and the 56* are usually around 300-302 grams.  4 grams of extra head weight can make a lot of difference.

I think the latest designs have the 52 and 56 degree heads a little lighter.  I also heard on the podcast that Edel is probably going to come out with a new line of wedges.

But as far as the 60* digger grind (it has a channel on the sole), it's easily the best LW I've ever hit.  It's not even remotely close.  I tried the TaylorMade Hi-Toe which obviously took a lot of ideas from Edel with the scorelines all the way out on the toe and the mini-channel on the sole and I was noticeably worse with the Hi-Toe.  And I think the Hi-Toe spins more.  The Edel gets a ton of spin, but the High-Toe is probably the highest spinning wedge out on the market.  Either way, I am substantially better with the Edel.

RH

#103 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:44 AM

A new putter added to the bag after my fitting (and lesson) from David Orr.

see1.png

see2.png

fa1.png

This is the Nashville Studio Series SeeMore mFGP, 35-1/4" long, 3° loft and a 70° lie angle.  This head is about 10 grams heavier than the original FGP model from SeeMore.  The face is slightly smaller horizontally and vertically but with a slightly deeper flange and it's 100% milled.  I used to own the original FGP model years ago, but my SAM Puttlab data was terrible with it and we found that the grip was badly misaligned.  The Nashville Studio Series has superior feel to the original.  

The grip on the putter currently is a PURE Grips pistol.  However, I will be putting on an Iomic Midsize I-Classic on the putter tonight.

As far as the fitting goes, I went up to North Carolina to see David Orr for a lesson.  David offers a 3-hour lesson package that includes the lesson, a fitting using the TrueSpec putter fitting system and a 1-night stay at the Pine Needles Lodge and Resort with full access to their practice areas for only $750.

The lodge is beautiful.  The room I stayed in housed 4 people and you're right next to the course and practice range.

Posted Image

The practice area for putting is pretty awesome.   David had them build a real grass green outside his studio that is about as flat as one can make a real grass green.

Inside his studio, he has 3D motion capture, SAM Puttlab, PuttView and the TrueSpec fitting studio.

Posted Image

Going into the fitting, I was using a Bettinardi Queen B #9.  I would have thought for sure that David would have fit me for a mallet style putter since every other fitter I've ever been to has fitted me for a mallet.  This despite my best putting ever came when I was a teenager and it was with a Wilson 8802.

David gave me the lesson, first.  Then he did the fitting while keeping the instruction in mind.  The big thing we worked on with my putting stroke?

Smash Factor.

Yes, smash factor.

When we got on the SAM Puttlab, we saw that I was hitting the sweetspot with my Bettinardi.  But, my Smash Factor was low and thus I was either leaving putts short and/or making a large backstroke just to get the ball to the hole because the energy transfer was poor.

Seriously...who has ever heard of a putting instructor talk about energy transfer?

And what was crazy was that David spotted the Smash Factor issue before going on the SAM Puttlab.  He just watched me putt a few times and saw that I was making, what he calls, an 'under-twist' move.  I could start to see that move on camera, but only because it was pointed out to me.  You really have to have good eyes to see it.  And really, you can't catch that move on the SAM Puttlab either.

The good news is that my aim at address was really good (0.3° or less) on straight putts and left-to-right putts.  But on right-to-left putts I aimed DEAD right.  Part of the under-twist move is to prevent pulls and it was obvious that I was deathly afraid of hitting pulls on right-to-left breaking putts.

We used the SAM Puttlab on PuttView...which is AWESOME.  Pretty much worth the price of the lesson, alone.  

David has the platform for PuttView which allows him to create a right-to-left putt (up to 4%) or left-to-right putt (up to 4%) in just a matter of seconds.  So we could measure on the SAM Puttlab on straight putts or breaking putts.  Since I struggled with right-to-left putts, we did a lot of measurement on those.

We changed quite a few things, but they were fairly easy tweeks.  Changed the grip, a very slight and almost unnoticeable change in posture, change in ball position, elevated the wrists at address a little and worked a lot on how my left arm and hand path moves throughout the stroke as well as a change in grip pressure.

And voila!  

My smash factor completely changed.

Furthermore, my SAM numbers were getting really good with the putters he tried fitting me for.

We tried the Toulon Austin which was producing pretty solid numbers.  Then we went with the SeeMore which produced some excellent numbers.  Then we tried the TaylorMade Soto which produced excellent numbers as well.

It was a coin flip between the SeeMore and the TaylorMade Soto.  David's intuition was that the idea putter for me would probably be something in-between the two...maybe a Bombora type head, flow neck with either 1/2 or no offset and the neck bored into the head somewhere between where the Soto and Seemore necks enter the head.  

We decided that the SeeMore was slightly better than the Soto, although I was aiming the Soto at 0.0 degrees at address.  The putter face rotation was better and more in sync with the arc of the stroke.  The other thing is that I had issues with too much forward shaft lean at address given my stroke and the SeeMore's RST helps fix that issue.

The Bettinardi was way too short for me as well.  David had me use his Napa putter and he told me that I'll probably hit pulls with it because it was too short for me and sure enough...I hit pulls with it.  The same with putters that had too small of a grip.  

After making a few strokes, David told me that I didn't have nearly enough finger pressure in my right middle and index finger and I was not keeping that pressure constant.  He could simply see my stroke and tell that was an issue after years of studying 3D motion capture on the putting stroke.

Posted Image

I just don't see any other putting instructor that is nearly as well rounded about putting as David.  From stroke mechanics to green reading to fitting to understanding green grass to motor skill acquisition, etc.  And I don't know of any other instructor that is in the same galaxy when it comes to understanding the wrists and hands in putting.

And the big thing is that it's not a 1 size fits all type of deal.  David instructed me based off what he felt I do best and naturally.  My stroke is naturally more powered by using both arms and hands and I was trying to use my left arm/side and then I tried to use just my right arm/side.  Other golfers may be better suited for a different way of putting.  But, David has expertise in all of them.

Now, I may get a custom built putter next year because the curiousity will likely get the best of me as I will wonder if there is something in-between the SeeMore and the Soto that will fit me.  But, for now my putting is better and it's nice to see me not miss the same putts and hit the same bad putts, over and over, again.

RH

#104 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

***WITB STATE OF THE UNION***

My fellow golf clubs.  It has been a topsy turvy year of golf.  With swing changes and putting stroke changes the golfing has been uncertain, but the future remains very bright.  

One of the big changes is the move to private golf with the membership at Orange Tree.  The move addresses two major issues with my golf game.  The need for serious, competitive golf involved with the Saturday Scratch Game and the club tournaments as well as the course design that does not allow for one of the main weaknesses in my game; you cannot miss left at Orange Tree.

In that time, we have seen a major turnover in the bag.  New woods and irons fitted from True Spec Golf and at the Fujikura headquarters on their ENSO machine.  A new Sand Wedge from Miura Golf and a new putter from SeeMore.  And the new bag from Sun Mountain with new headcovers.  It's certainly been a year of transition.

I'm very pleased with the shafts.

gw1.png

Fujikura has something really special with the Evolution IV line in their woods, the Atmos Blue in their Hybrids and the Pro Tour Spec line in their irons.  I was a little worried that the Evolution IV in the 3-wood would not perform like the Veylix shaft I was fitted for at True Spec Golf, but it actually has and it is an awesome combination  with the Callaway Rogue SubZero 3-wood head.

However, as my swing progresses and gets near to where I want it to be, I will be looking at the Ping G400 Max driver and the Titleist TS2 driver.  A little more forgiveness may be what is in order off the tee and if the swing mechanics start producing a little lower launch angle I can always use a driver with a little more spin.  I can also switch to a lower spinning ball if necessary.

gw2.png

The Titleist hybrids were a nice addition to the bag two years ago.  But...call it boredom or call it necessity...we need to look at different hybrids next year  The True Spec Fitting provided some excellent improvements last year, but we did not fit for the hybrids.  I would like to see what we can do differently with the hybrids.  As some of you may know...I feel that the hybrids should be the 'best club' in my bag because I require the hybrid to hit the ball the furthest from the worst of lies.  The ball flight with the Titleist hybrids has been a little too high for my liking, but the forgiveness is very good and we need to see if there is a better option out there.

The P790's have been a welcome addition...

gw3.png

The ball flight can get a little high with the irons.  But, I hit them very long.  A big part of the ball flight issues are swing related.  But, I do have concerns over the PW and the 9-iron as they do not carry nearly as far as they should.  Again, swing issues are very prevalent here, but once the swing combats those issues better I will be curious as to how much of an improvement in performance there will be.

And let's not forget the Edel LW.  

gw4.png

You have been the rock of this bag for so long.  Anytime I've needed to get myself out of a pickle...from the worst of lies to the worst of angles to the worst of pressures...you've exceeded expectations.  I made the dumb mistake of trying to replace you with that TaylorMade High-Toe wedge and it was a horrible mistake.  For that, I apologize.  I promise to keep your grooves clean more often, slam you onto the ground less often and avoid rocks and pebbles out of the sand.  You are the shining example of what a golf club in my bag should be.

And again, I would like to, once again...welcome aboard the Seemore Nashville Studio Series mFGP to the bag.

gw5.png

*audience claps*

The position of Putter in my bag may be the most difficult position of them all.  It's a position that often goes unrewarded and heavily criticized at the hint of failure.  Yet, thru your design and ingenuity, you've made it to the bag.  But already we may make some changes with you as we see how your Iomic grip holds up.

However, I have liked the performance thus far.  Unfortunately, you will likely see some competition come next Spring if I decide to go with a custom made putter from either Byron Morgan, TP Mills or Mannkrafted.

That's just how it goes.

But, I do believe you're a really good fit for me.  And if you perform well, I will keep you in the bag...

At least for now.

So my fellow golf clubs...be on the lookout for more competitive tournaments...more play across the country and better golf courses and finer conditions in 2019.  And thank you for all of your support.

RH

#105 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 3354

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

That is one hell of a post, lol.  

What shafts are you using now in the irons?  Still the Fij 115s?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

#106 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

ebrasmus21, on 24 October 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

That is one hell of a post, lol.  

What shafts are you using now in the irons?  Still the Fij 115s?

Yes.  They are awesome.  Really helped out my shoulder and elbow, too.

RH

#107 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29312

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

One of the continuing rotating bags on WRX that I check in to from time to time to see "What the heck has he gotten now?" Seriously very interesting
BTW Like the CCU bag you posted a few posts ago

Edited by BIG STU, 25 October 2018 - 06:01 PM.

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#108 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

New Driver:

Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 9.10.58 PM.png

I have only played 27 holes with the driver.  The main reason for trying the driver out was the highest MOI of any driver from both heel to toe and from sole to crown (ref. Not allowed because of spam).  The issue with most high MOI drivers is the spin rate, but the G400 Max doesn't seem to spin much, but it does launch high.

The Callaway Rogue SubZero is very long.  But, I've lost my confidence not only in the club, but in my swing as well.  My home course is very tight when it comes to OB and water and a foul ball can easily result in a double or triple bogey.   My main concern is the distance loss, but I figured if the G400 Max is far more accurate and predictable I can take about a 12-yard loss for not only hitting more fairways and having less penalty shots, but improved confidence.

So far I have found that the G400 Max is probably about 10 yards shorter than the Rogue SZ.  But, if I get the launch down a little with the G400 Max the distance is identical.

But man...the G400 Max is so much easier to hit.  Hit it off the toe or the heel and the ball goes straight right at the target.  MEGA-confidence builder.  Today, I played and I only missed 3 fairways, but one of them was a great strike I just played the hole wrong as I hadn't played this course in years.

I also went back to the Toulon Long Island

Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 9.33.44 PM.png

This was one of the putters that David Orr thought was a good fit for my stroke.  The SeeMore just is not forgiving enough and this is more forgiving and my putting has improved since using it.  

David tried to convince me to use a 35-1/2" or 35-1/4" putter to fit my posture and stroke.  This is only 35" long.  As usual, David is onto something.  I can see where the 35" putter length gives me some issues.  So, I am going to put a different shaft in and make it 35-3/8" long.

RH

#109 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29312

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:45 PM

As usual I tuned in to see what you have gotten now--- Never disappointing
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#110 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:05 PM

Removed the shaft from my Toulon Long Island.

I've added a stepped shaft.  Some posters here have said that stepped putter shaft feels better since the butt diameter is smaller.

Waiting on a Pure Putter grip to come in the mail.

Screenshot 2018-12-04 at 11.02.07 PM.png

RH

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with Edel Golf, Wishon, Ping, Mizuno, Nippon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors