Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Driver: G25 vs I25

Ping i25 G25 Driver

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 theothertomjones

theothertomjones

Village Newbie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199494
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostOspreyCI, on 18 March 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostBlakeBstone, on 18 March 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

What do you think the distance difference is between the i25 and g25
Good question right there...^^^^^

This is EXTREMELY dependent on the person and the shaft setup they have with those particular clubs.

At one point a few months ago my G25 and Anser were carrying approximately the same distance. At the range Id launch both of them, and they would both take one hop and hit the fence before landing again (carrying somewhere just under 250).

However, considering total distance:

The Anser has a MUCH shallower angle of descent as the ball flight is low, plateaus early and forever, then gently glides down to the ground, then rolls 30-40 yards (Im so not kidding). On a dry day at a red clay golf course Ive hit 280 yard drives with that thing, and my swing speed tops out around 105mph.

The G25 launches at a higher angle plateaus later and for a shorter distance, then lands much steeper (more vertical angle of descent). Id guess 10-15 yards of roll after carry, maybe. I kind of wanted it to stick where I put it more or less - I started to drive right through dog legs and thats problematic.

The i25 sits right in-between these two distance-wise but I gain so much more control and workability, and I dont sacrifice distance on fade/draw. When I first hit the demo club (same setup I bought), my club fitter (Golf Digest fitter of the year for Ping) said, "thats freaking perfect" - words I haven't ever heard from him. And they are the kind of fitters that keep me from buying stuff I dont need - they'll tell me "you dont need that, we just need to straighten your swing/foot position/etc. The ball flight started out low, creeped higher, plateaued without ballooning, and landed a little less than 45 degrees for an authoritative roll forward. It was the no-kidding perfect ball flight.

So Ill probably get 20-30 yards of roll after carry with that driver, but keep in mind, more times than not Ive seen Anser-like ball flight characteristics rather than G25-like ball flight from this club. It could simply be the cold thin air right now, but that is all I can attest to right now.

Shorter anser (pun intended): i25 is probably about 20 yards longer than my G25, but Ive set it up to be like that. Its also only about 40 degrees around here - things could be much different when the temp is >70 deg.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 ron lefthanded holmes

ron lefthanded holmes

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113632
  • Handicap:6.3
  • Ebay ID:ron02222325
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

View Postrtraudt, on 18 March 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

View Postron lefthanded holmes, on 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostDoopree, on 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.

Haven't tried the i25 but take the screw of the back and put some cotton wool in the g25 and its a totally different club, so quiet and still one of the best out there IMO

Did you just use the spike screw trick to get it out?  I'm interested in doing this as well to dull mine.  I also gave in a picked up an i25 on the BST so I'm going to have a shootout and see which gets the spot in my bag for the season.

Yes used a spike screw trick and just a bit of heat of a hairdryer and it turns straight of
Callaway Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Apex 4/PW
Black series i9
Cleveland 588 52* 58*

#33 ron lefthanded holmes

ron lefthanded holmes

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113632
  • Handicap:6.3
  • Ebay ID:ron02222325
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostPT1911, on 18 March 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

View Postron lefthanded holmes, on 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostDoopree, on 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.

Haven't tried the i25 but take the screw of the back and put some cotton wool in the g25 and its a totally different club, so quiet and still one of the best out there IMO
How much did you end up putting in there?

I put about two hand full's in using a knitting needle and its really a totally different club now noise wise,
Callaway Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Apex 4/PW
Black series i9
Cleveland 588 52* 58*

#34 PinonMagnolia

PinonMagnolia

Zen Brah

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295343
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

After years of being a Titleist loyalist, I decided to pick up an i25 since the older Ping drivers were much longer.  Am I missing something or is the i25 just a freaking rock?  I only generate about 105 MPH of club head speed, but it just feels like a clunker to me.

913 7.5 with Fubuki S v. Ping i25 with PWR75 S, the feeling is just night and day.  

Is it possible that the i25 would feel a lot better to me with the pwr65?  Something just really feels off with it, I can't imagine people enjoy the feel I'm getting from the i25.
Big Bertha Alpha 9* UST Elements Chrome
X2Hot Pro 15* Aldila Tour Green
913h 18.5* Whiteboard, X-Utility 24*
X-Forged 5 - PW KBS C-Taper
TVD M Grind 51*, 55*, and 59*
Scotty Cameron Futura X

#35 681blade

681blade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if this is all personal preference. I was able to briefly attend a demo day last Friday, and was able to hit the I25 with PWR75 X and the new Adams driver with the Red Tie in stiff. I much preferred the sound and feel of the I25. I actually liked the I25 so much I almost ordered it on the spot, but I held off as I was not certain if there was any significant distance gain over my current driver, R11S with Kyoshi Black 65-05. I definitely preferred the feel and sound of the I25 over my R11S.

#36 Schweitzer

Schweitzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96247
  • Ebay ID:Schweitzer_07
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostPinonMagnolia, on 04 June 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

After years of being a Titleist loyalist, I decided to pick up an i25 since the older Ping drivers were much longer.  Am I missing something or is the i25 just a freaking rock?  I only generate about 105 MPH of club head speed, but it just feels like a clunker to me.

913 7.5 with Fubuki S v. Ping i25 with PWR75 S, the feeling is just night and day.  

Is it possible that the i25 would feel a lot better to me with the pwr65?  Something just really feels off with it, I can't imagine people enjoy the feel I'm getting from the i25.

I've hit the i25, owned the 913D2, and currently own the G25. In my opinion, there are very few drivers on the market that can match the feel of what your 913 will. When I first hit a 910D2 w/ AD DJ 6x in it that a friend of mine had, I was blown away. The shaft/head combination felt amazing. So naturally, I went out and bought a 913D2 w/ a AD DI 7x in it. The feel with that driver was amazing, something I can't really compare to any other driver to be honest.

I hit the i25 at a driver fitting a few weeks ago. The fitter said that my G25 was a high spin/high launch head and that I needed to move to a lower launch/lower spin head to maximize distance. To preface my opinion on this, take into account that I don't have a good history with driver fittings. That's more than likely because it takes me a little bit to get comfortable with the feel/weight of a club and switching between them every 5-6 shots never seems to benefit me. That being said, the i25 did not seem to work for me whatsoever. He shafted it with a Whiteboard 72x but for some reason I just never liked the look/feel of it. It didn't feel as 'explosive' as my G25 and I couldn't seem to find the center of the club face when swinging it. I'm not saying that the i25 isn't a great driver, it just wasn't the best for me based on what I saw that day.

FWIW, the G25 seems to work well for me despite it being a high spin/high launch head. Since the fitting I've since reshafted it with an Attas Elements MK 6x that I picked up off of the BST here and it's performed great since.
G25 9.5* - Attas Elements MK
Cleveland Mashie 14* - Miyazaki Dromos
Cleveland Mashie 18* - Miyazaki Dromos
Titleist 712 AP2 - Project X
Scor 50/54/58
Ping TR Anser 5

#37 ephmen

ephmen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17182
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Must be a fitting or loft issue. I am Loving my 10.5 w pwr 75 stiff. Was shocked at the high loft, and expected tour stiff, but you cant argue with data (or results on the course)!

#38 PinonMagnolia

PinonMagnolia

Zen Brah

• 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

View Postephmen, on 04 June 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Must be a fitting or loft issue. I am Loving my 10.5 w pwr 75 stiff. Was shocked at the high loft, and expected tour stiff, but you cant argue with data (or results on the course)!

Mind sharing your swing speed info?  I wonder if this is a club head that is made only for high swing speeders.  

My Titleist feels like I'm hitting toasted marshmallows whereas the i25 feels like I'm hitting a box of rocks.  I've never hit a driver that felt so awkward.  Maybe I'll take it to the Ping fitter nearby and see what is up.

What Schweitzer described is exactly what I'm feeling, so maybe the G25 would be a better fit although I need lower spin and launch.
Scotty Cameron Futura X

#39 Schweitzer

Schweitzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96247
  • Ebay ID:Schweitzer_07
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostPinonMagnolia, on 04 June 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Mind sharing your swing speed info?  I wonder if this is a club head that is made only for high swing speeders.  

My Titleist feels like I'm hitting toasted marshmallows whereas the i25 feels like I'm hitting a box of rocks.  I've never hit a driver that felt so awkward.  Maybe I'll take it to the Ping fitter nearby and see what is up.

What Schweitzer described is exactly what I'm feeling, so maybe the G25 would be a better fit although I need lower spin and launch.

I'm not trying to talk you into a Ping driver but I really think finding the right shaft can make a difference. Does it make the G25 a low launch head? No, not at all. But between the shaft that I'm currently playing and a lower spin ball (Srixon Z Star XV) I'm finding pretty good success. Most of my drives when I played this weekend were in the 290 range with a couple of outliers including a 317 yard drive on a par 4 at my home course. My swing speed is 110-116 based on my fitting but since I didn't have that particular shaft then, I have no idea about launch or spin. The head is unreal forgiving though, I can't say enough about that. Thanks to that amazing deal yesterday, I have a Cobra Bio Cell+ w/ Diamana D+ coming but it's going to take a lot for me to take the G25 out of the bag.
G25 9.5* - Attas Elements MK
Cleveland Mashie 14* - Miyazaki Dromos
Cleveland Mashie 18* - Miyazaki Dromos
Titleist 712 AP2 - Project X
Scor 50/54/58
Ping TR Anser 5

#40 PinonMagnolia

PinonMagnolia

Zen Brah

• 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Oh, I hear you.  In the end, I hit the Titleist really well and as much equipment as I try, I should know there aren't huge deviations in any of it.  Some people get 10+ yards more with a Titleist ProV1, I can hit the Bridgestone B330 right beside it, somehow.  

I would, however, like a few extra yards and thought the Ping might have it since they've always had some mean, long drivers.  

What I can say for sure is that I do not mesh with this i25 I have!

Scotty Cameron Futura X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 ephmen

ephmen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostPinonMagnolia, on 04 June 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Driver ss 100-105. Ball speeds in the mid 140's.

#42 ephmen

ephmen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Think my relatively low ss   is why I required 10.5 which is my highest lofted driver in a long time....

#43 theothertomjones

theothertomjones

Village Newbie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199494
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

UPDATE:

Ive had some swing corrections to correct a double release so that Im swinging "properly" now.

i25 is the best driver in the bag compared to my G25 and Anser. Perfect ball flight for me with the pwr65 stiff shaft - best fit driver I own. However, it is much harder to hit than the G25 or Anser.

G25 is way to high and short with little roll with the stock stiff shaft. Ill put the ahnia stiff shaft in it and see how it does. Very likely Ill just sell it.

Anser is useful, but launch even at +.5 at 9 degrees is still low. Ill try it with the G25 stock stiff shaft to try to get the trajectory up. Otherwise ball plateaus well and glides down at a very shallow angle. Useful for windy courses so Ill keep it around.

Edited by theothertomjones, 04 June 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#44 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1185

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostPinonMagnolia, on 04 June 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of the i25, but love the G25.

The i25 isn't as forgiving as the 913 D3 and launches the ball lower and with less spin.

I found the 8.5* i25 to be equally unpleasant compared to the 913.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Also tagged with Ping, i25, G25, Driver

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors