Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Driver: G25 vs I25

Ping i25 G25 Driver

44 replies to this topic

#1 andimon1

andimon1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98781
  • Joined: 11/18/2009
  • Ebay ID:andimon08
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Title says it all.  Im surprised I haven't seen this topic started yet.  

I am mostly interested to know just how different launch and roll differs from the two models in your own experience and whether or not you were able to achieve more distance/ better dispersion.  

Cheers!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 JJensen

JJensen

    MNWRX - FBefnD

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169649
  • Joined: 03/16/2012
  • Location:Iron Range, MN
GolfWRX Likes : 320

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

i25 isn't out for retail yet.... probably have to wait a few weeks until people will have hit them
913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
Z U45 18* - DG X100
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
WITB Link

2

#3 andimon1

andimon1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98781
  • Joined: 11/18/2009
  • Ebay ID:andimon08
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Gotcha.  I guess I haven't been paying that close attention.  I saw that Crossfield got to try one out on the tube.  No change in numbers, loved the looks though.

3

#4 Golf64

Golf64

    Go Habs Go!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:SW Ontario Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 2587

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Mid. Feb., I think for the new Ping stuff?
Bag set-up currently under construction..............again.............help?!

4

#5 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Joined: 11/20/2011
  • Location:Pickering, Canada
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

I saw the i25 in the fitting cart at Golftown for the first time today, I love the looks. The head shape is perfect and the strips are ghost like and do not put me off at all.

This club is some how some way going to make it into my bag. It was luste at first sight. I will go to Ping for a fitting then verify it outside on the range and course as my club carries Ping and they always have a good selection of demos.

Edited by Gbyeball, 29 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

5

#6 Beastmode Broker

Beastmode Broker

    Canadian AF

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105306
  • Joined: 03/24/2010
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1534

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

I have hit the new i25 line

the driver is UNREAL GOOD and a HUGE improvement over the i20

in-between spin for the Anser and G25
the racing stripes are very "ghost like" and not obnoxious at all
sound is improved
I needed to increase loft w it, due to low spin nature of head
stock shafts are incredible for me, but feel they MAY play a tad soft, as I got better numbers w the X over S
didnt feel tip soft, as dispersion was awesome, just over all flex might be a tad soft for me .... still on the fence on what flex id go with, tipped Stiff or straight iin X

I was getting low 2000 for spin and mid teens for launch (13-15)
even on misses it was below 3000 spin
forgiving head IMO for its shape and design

I dont hit a long ball, but on flight scope I managed to see 3-4 / 10 over the 300 bill range (not carry)

I like them A LOT
LOVE my current set up, but really like the i25 line

echo everything for the 3w as well, its incredible

Edited by enis750, 29 January 2014 - 05:36 PM.

14 clubs in a Hoofer, that rotate when the ADD says so, currently ...

TM '16 M2 9.5 Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60
TM AeroBurner TP 16.5 ProForce V2 76
Callaway XHP 20 ProForce VTS Silver 85
Nike VPC MMProto'd 4-PW DGPS300
Callaway OG X-Forged 52/56 DGS300
Nike Engage TS 60 DGS400
Nike Method Matter B1-07 35"

6

#7 ekimox

ekimox

    Consistently Inconsistent

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99718
  • Joined: 12/05/2009
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

What's your swing speed enis750? I'm really looking forward to trying the i25's out too.
Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

7

#8 EagleEagle

EagleEagle

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231861
  • Joined: 02/24/2013
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

I own the g25 and hit the I25 last night for a while at golf town.I hit the 55 and 65 g stiff shaft and I believe they are 45 and a quarter inch in length instead of the 45 and three quarters of the g25.
I like the looks and shape of the  I 25 ,spin and launch angle a bit lower than g25.i play both with a 9.5 head.
I still prefer the g25 ,just something about hitting the sweet spot on the g25 head that I wasn't able to duplicate with the I 25 and a bit more forgiving on miss hits.

8

#9 highergr0und

highergr0und

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Joined: 03/27/2008
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1781

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

g25 > i25 for me.  I need a bit more forgiveness.  I hit the i25 for a few but none of the shots gave me that wow factor.

9

#10 joelefty

joelefty

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82133
  • Joined: 05/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

I'm looking forward to trying this club.  It's gonna have to be one heck of a driver to knock my anser out of the bag.  But if the performance and forgiveness are the same as my anser and it has the sound and feel of the I20 then i'll definitely be getting one.

Ping Anser 9.5* / Ahina 70x
Titleist 913FD 15* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist 913H 19* / Diamana D+
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW / DG S300
Titleist SM5 52*
Nike VR Forged 56* 60* / S400
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Beastmode Broker

Beastmode Broker

    Canadian AF

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105306
  • Joined: 03/24/2010
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1534

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

 ekimox, on 29 January 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

What's your swing speed enis750? I'm really looking forward to trying the i25's out too.

Typically im in the 103-106 range, but all winter it has been more like 108-111
Seem to have picked uo quite a bit of club head speed
Also been training hard the last 18 mnths and working on mobility/flexibility ... So i think this is why its up

14 clubs in a Hoofer, that rotate when the ADD says so, currently ...

TM '16 M2 9.5 Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60
TM AeroBurner TP 16.5 ProForce V2 76
Callaway XHP 20 ProForce VTS Silver 85
Nike VPC MMProto'd 4-PW DGPS300
Callaway OG X-Forged 52/56 DGS300
Nike Engage TS 60 DGS400
Nike Method Matter B1-07 35"

11

#12 indygolfman

indygolfman

    Close the distance!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85183
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Indiana
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

 enis750, on 30 January 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

 ekimox, on 29 January 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

What's your swing speed enis750? I'm really looking forward to trying the i25's out too.

Typically im in the 103-106 range, but all winter it has been more like 108-111
Seem to have picked uo quite a bit of club head speed
Also been training hard the last 18 mnths and working on mobility/flexibility ... So i think this is why its up

Crossfit FTW!  Good job :)
Razr Fit 8.5* - Ahina 70X
Ping G25 15* - Speeder 757
Adama LSP 23* - Speeder 9.8
TM MC 3-PW - KBS Tour
Callaway X-Forged 54/58 - DG
White Hot #1

12

#13 misplacedtexan83

misplacedtexan83

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 242907
  • Joined: 04/04/2013
  • Location:Maryland for Now (???? in the future)
GolfWRX Likes : 7019

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Im getting geeked out about it because what I have read or keep telling myself....is that the G25 and Anser hooked up to produce the i25 which will have the best of both...

9* Callaway EPIC SZ w/ XTORISON COPPER 60S ** 13.5* Callaway EPIC SZ w/ HZDRUS 65 S

20* Callaway EPIC Hybrid w/ Recoil 780 S

  5-A Callaway Steelhead Pros w/Ctaper Lite S
Callaway MD Forged 50/10 *** Callaway MD Forged 54/10 *** Callaway MD3 58/11 W Grind *** Callaway MD3 64/08 C grind
Low Tide Rip Curl w/UST Frequency Filtered (2.0*, 72 lie, 36in)


13

#14 Frank811

Frank811

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212455
  • Joined: 11/21/2012
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I hit I25 a couple days ago and can't stop thinking about it, I'm glad I didn't purchase g25 and waited, g25 is more forgiving but i25 has plenty and I like the shape better looks more conventional but with very suttle stripes that I like. Honestly you can't go wrong either way but I'm going i25, and I like pwr shafts better than tfc

14

#15 forefrazier

forefrazier

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176038
  • Joined: 04/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

I do not care for the looks of the G25 Driver even though I love the 3W. Had a nice launch monitor session with the I25 today and after warming up got the following average numbers:

I25 9.5 PWR65 Stiff

Club MPH: 105.9
Ball MPH: 153.5
Launch: 12.8
Azimuth: 0.6
Spin: 2458
Carry: 261
Total: 285

I am sure this is better than my current 910 D3 but not sure how it relates as I am just starting to look at launch monitor data before I upgrade my driver. How do these #'s look? Any areas to look on improving?


15

#16 theothertomjones

theothertomjones

    Village Newbie

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199494
  • Joined: 08/22/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

I own both as well (and the Anser).

Not as low spinning as the Anser, but mot as much as the G25.

G25 has higher launch for me and is higher spin.

I play the i25 9.5 pwr65. I dont have any trackman numbers or anything, but I swing right at 100-105. Ill carry the ball 240ish right now in 40 degree weather and end up with around a 270 yard drive. Cant wait until it heats up and I gain distance back.

The i25 is a pleasure to hit, in fact, its the only one of my 3 drivers that I can work right to left without drastic variations in my swing.

That being said, it is slightly harder to hit than the Anser or G25.

Edited by theothertomjones, 17 March 2014 - 04:39 PM.


16

#17 Doopree

Doopree

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 298082
  • Joined: 02/21/2014
  • Location:Knoxville
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.
Ping G25 10.5 Driver
Ping G25 4 Wood
Ping G20 7 Wood
Ping i25 4 - LW
Ping Ketsch Mallet Putter

17

#18 Hstead

Hstead

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
  • Joined: 09/30/2009
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 2666

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.
Taylormade M2 Matrix White Tie 70X 10.5
Ping G30 3 Wood Miyazaki Black X
Titleist 915Hd Rogue Black X Flex
PIng i e 3-PW CFS
Ping Glide 54* SS and 58* TS
Directed Force
Bridgestone Tour B330

18

#19 Hookasaurus Rex

Hookasaurus Rex

    Purveyor of fine turf

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214763
  • Joined: 12/06/2012
  • Location:Minden, NV
  • Ebay ID:hokiegrass
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

 Doopree, on 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.

This... ^^^    I bagged the G25 last season.  It spins a it much for me, but very straight.  I ended up selling it because I amassed a bunch of medical bills from trying to fix my ruptured ear drums after each use.  I hit Ping drivers well, so I hope the sound is much improved.  I'm on the fence between the SLDR and i25 wrt which driver I'm most interested in...
Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
Cobra F7 3-4W HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
Titleist 913h 19*  Aldila Tour Green 85hs
Srixon z565 4-GW DG AMT S400 TI
Cobra PUR 54*, 60* DG AMT s400 TI
Taylormade Spider Limited Red

19

#20 drvrwdge

drvrwdge

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130591
  • Joined: 06/12/2011
  • Location:757
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

 Hstead, on 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??

TM '16 M2 Speeder 757 TS
TM M2 3W HZRDUS Hand Crafted Red 6.5
Adams Red 18*
Mizzy MP-15 PX 6.0 +1/2 1* up
Vokey SM6 52S/58M DG TI S400 Black Onyx
Odyssey White Hot Pro V Line
Ball TBD

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Hstead

Hstead

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
  • Joined: 09/30/2009
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 2666

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

 drvrwdge, on 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

 Hstead, on 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??

Yes.  I have had and still have a lot of different shafts.  JW suggested I go with it and he was right.  Daniel Chopra is playing the same shaft. It is solid.
Taylormade M2 Matrix White Tie 70X 10.5
Ping G30 3 Wood Miyazaki Black X
Titleist 915Hd Rogue Black X Flex
PIng i e 3-PW CFS
Ping Glide 54* SS and 58* TS
Directed Force
Bridgestone Tour B330

21

#22 theothertomjones

theothertomjones

    Village Newbie

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199494
  • Joined: 08/22/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

 drvrwdge, on 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

 Hstead, on 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??

I have an ahina stiff I used in my anser (now in my G25) and I actually like the pwr65 stiff much more.

Current setup:

9.5 (set to 9) G25 w/ahina stiff - since the head is higher spin and launch is higher, I use this on short urban courses or mountain/links type courses.
9.5 i25 w/pwr65 - I can use this just about anywhere; its my go-to club
8.5 anser (set to 9) w/stock G25 stiff shaft - I use this at just about any course along the east coast - Wilmington to Myrtle to Charleston - where there is a LOT of heavy wind. Trajectory is low and the ball runs for a good 40 yards after carry.

Yes, Im lucky enough to afford 3 drivers and I have a habit of recon-ing courses before I go play. That being said, Im done buying drivers for the foreseeable future.

22

#23 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:The SOUTH
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

 theothertomjones, on 18 March 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

 drvrwdge, on 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

 Hstead, on 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??

I have an ahina stiff I used in my anser (now in my G25) and I actually like the pwr65 stiff much more.

Current setup:

9.5 (set to 9) G25 w/ahina stiff - since the head is higher spin and launch is higher, I use this on short urban courses or mountain/links type courses.
9.5 i25 w/pwr65 - I can use this just about anywhere; its my go-to club
8.5 anser (set to 9) w/stock G25 stiff shaft - I use this at just about any course along the east coast - Wilmington to Myrtle to Charleston - where there is a LOT of heavy wind. Trajectory is low and the ball runs for a good 40 yards after carry.

Yes, Im lucky enough to afford 3 drivers and I have a habit of recon-ing courses before I go play. That being said, Im done buying drivers for the foreseeable future.
TomJones,
Couple questions. How would you compare the Anser against the G25 in terms of forgiveness? Anser much harder to hit? Would you stay the same loft going from G25 to Anser?
TM '17 M1 Diamana WB 73
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
Callaway XR Pro 4-AW
Callaway MD Forged 54/60
TM Spider Tour Red

23

#24 theothertomjones

theothertomjones

    Village Newbie

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199494
  • Joined: 08/22/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

 OspreyCI, on 18 March 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

 theothertomjones, on 18 March 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

 drvrwdge, on 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

 Hstead, on 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??

I have an ahina stiff I used in my anser (now in my G25) and I actually like the pwr65 stiff much more.

Current setup:

9.5 (set to 9) G25 w/ahina stiff - since the head is higher spin and launch is higher, I use this on short urban courses or mountain/links type courses.
9.5 i25 w/pwr65 - I can use this just about anywhere; its my go-to club
8.5 anser (set to 9) w/stock G25 stiff shaft - I use this at just about any course along the east coast - Wilmington to Myrtle to Charleston - where there is a LOT of heavy wind. Trajectory is low and the ball runs for a good 40 yards after carry.

Yes, Im lucky enough to afford 3 drivers and I have a habit of recon-ing courses before I go play. That being said, Im done buying drivers for the foreseeable future.
TomJones,
Couple questions. How would you compare the Anser against the G25 in terms of forgiveness? Anser much harder to hit? Would you stay the same loft going from G25 to Anser?

2 very different worlds and on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Anser is a little harder to hit I suppose, and mishits often end up short which I think is a good thing. Better to be 150 yards short of the hole in the 2nd cut than 80 yards short and in the trees.

G25 is much more forgiving.

So, understand that when I bought the Anser last year I had a steep swing and as a result, a very high ball flight. I went with the Anser to decrease that ball flight while working with my swing coach to flatten out my swing. Now the Anser is barely high enough which is why I use the G25 stock stiff shaft in it now.

So, ideally Id actually go with a 9.5 or maybe 10 degree anser, and an 8.5 G25.

Oddly enough I love hitting the i25, especially with the alignment aid, but Ive had some days where the ball flight has gone a bit knuckleball on me. Other days Ive been hitting into the spring winds which are all kinds of crazy here in NC, so I try to reserve judgement. I think the i25 is much more sensitive to where ball contact is on the face. I notice some of my better drives coming from at or even below the mid center line, but I think Im just fighting a bad swing right now. Time for a lesson to tweak the swing. One thing for sure is that the ball carries just as far regardless of a draw or fade. Its the perfect club for me, I just need to dial it in and thats on me, not the club.

I loaned out my G25 about 1.5 months after I bought it to a friend of mine. Before I loaned it out I noticed all the ball marks were near the very top center of the club head - maybe 1/4 inch from the top, which then made me realize I need to lower my tee height. If I can lower that to a total of about .5 to .75 inch from the top center of the head, I think Ill be good to go and hit every shot ideal to the ball fight I want out of it. It is much harder for me to work the ball draw or fade with the G25, and almost impossible not to hit the club straight.

For total yards, Anser is my longest club, followed by i25, then G25.
For carry, i25 is the longest carry, then Anser, then G25

Sorry... went on rambling a bit there.

Edited by theothertomjones, 18 March 2014 - 10:37 AM.


24

#25 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:The SOUTH
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Great review! Thanks. Now you are going to cost me money.. Haha

Thanks again

TM '17 M1 Diamana WB 73
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
Callaway XR Pro 4-AW
Callaway MD Forged 54/60
TM Spider Tour Red

25

#26 BlakeBstone

BlakeBstone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50392
  • Joined: 03/02/2008
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 231

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

 theothertomjones, on 18 March 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

 OspreyCI, on 18 March 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

 theothertomjones, on 18 March 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

 drvrwdge, on 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

 Hstead, on 17 March 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??

I have an ahina stiff I used in my anser (now in my G25) and I actually like the pwr65 stiff much more.

Current setup:

9.5 (set to 9) G25 w/ahina stiff - since the head is higher spin and launch is higher, I use this on short urban courses or mountain/links type courses.
9.5 i25 w/pwr65 - I can use this just about anywhere; its my go-to club
8.5 anser (set to 9) w/stock G25 stiff shaft - I use this at just about any course along the east coast - Wilmington to Myrtle to Charleston - where there is a LOT of heavy wind. Trajectory is low and the ball runs for a good 40 yards after carry.

Yes, Im lucky enough to afford 3 drivers and I have a habit of recon-ing courses before I go play. That being said, Im done buying drivers for the foreseeable future.
TomJones,
Couple questions. How would you compare the Anser against the G25 in terms of forgiveness? Anser much harder to hit? Would you stay the same loft going from G25 to Anser?

2 very different worlds and on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Anser is a little harder to hit I suppose, and mishits often end up short which I think is a good thing. Better to be 150 yards short of the hole in the 2nd cut than 80 yards short and in the trees.

G25 is much more forgiving.

So, understand that when I bought the Anser last year I had a steep swing and as a result, a very high ball flight. I went with the Anser to decrease that ball flight while working with my swing coach to flatten out my swing. Now the Anser is barely high enough which is why I use the G25 stock stiff shaft in it now.

So, ideally Id actually go with a 9.5 or maybe 10 degree anser, and an 8.5 G25.

Oddly enough I love hitting the i25, especially with the alignment aid, but Ive had some days where the ball flight has gone a bit knuckleball on me. Other days Ive been hitting into the spring winds which are all kinds of crazy here in NC, so I try to reserve judgement. I think the i25 is much more sensitive to where ball contact is on the face. I notice some of my better drives coming from at or even below the mid center line, but I think Im just fighting a bad swing right now. Time for a lesson to tweak the swing. One thing for sure is that the ball carries just as far regardless of a draw or fade. Its the perfect club for me, I just need to dial it in and thats on me, not the club.

I loaned out my G25 about 1.5 months after I bought it to a friend of mine. Before I loaned it out I noticed all the ball marks were near the very top center of the club head - maybe 1/4 inch from the top, which then made me realize I need to lower my tee height. If I can lower that to a total of about .5 to .75 inch from the top center of the head, I think Ill be good to go and hit every shot ideal to the ball fight I want out of it. It is much harder for me to work the ball draw or fade with the G25, and almost impossible not to hit the club straight.

For total yards, Anser is my longest club, followed by i25, then G25.
For carry, i25 is the longest carry, then Anser, then G25

Sorry... went on rambling a bit there.
What do you think the distance difference is between the i25 and g25
MY BAG
                Taylormade M2 9.5 KK silver tini 70X
                RBZ Tour 3w&5w  Xcaliber tour X
                Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
                Ping Gorge 54 glide 60
                odyssey big T

26

#27 ron lefthanded holmes

ron lefthanded holmes

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113632
  • Joined: 08/27/2010
  • Location:UK
  • Ebay ID:ron02222325
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

 Doopree, on 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.

Haven't tried the i25 but take the screw of the back and put some cotton wool in the g25 and its a totally different club, so quiet and still one of the best out there IMO
Driver Ping G400 10*
Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*
Irons Ping i200 4//PW
Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*
Putter Black Series
Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS

27

#28 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:The SOUTH
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

[quote name='BlakeBstone' timestamp='1395159020' post='8897323']
[quote name='theothertomjones' timestamp='1395156674' post='8897063']
[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1395152868' post='8896657']
[quote name='theothertomjones' timestamp='1395151954' post='8896557']
[quote name='drvrwdge' timestamp='1395109940' post='8894715']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1395096460' post='8893081']
I have both the G25 and i25.  I was able to go up in loft on the i25 from 8.5 to 9.5.  I am using the stock PWR 65 Tour X at 45" in the i25 and the G25 I was using a Fuel TS 60 X at 44.5".  I like the look, sound, and feel of the i25 better.  I find the i25 more forgiving on toe hits which is my miss as well, it just turns over a little vs a hard over draw.  I play a fade so when I miss on the toe I do not want it turning over too hard since I setup down the left edge.  So far this club has been the best driver I have owned.
[/quote]

All the aftermarket shafts you've been through and you're that happy with the PWR 65 Tour??
[/quote]

I have an ahina stiff I used in my anser (now in my G25) and I actually like the pwr65 stiff much more.

Current setup:

9.5 (set to 9) G25 w/ahina stiff - since the head is higher spin and launch is higher, I use this on short urban courses or mountain/links type courses.
9.5 i25 w/pwr65 - I can use this just about anywhere; its my go-to club
8.5 anser (set to 9) w/stock G25 stiff shaft - I use this at just about any course along the east coast - Wilmington to Myrtle to Charleston - where there is a LOT of heavy wind. Trajectory is low and the ball runs for a good 40 yards after carry.

Yes, Im lucky enough to afford 3 drivers and I have a habit of recon-ing courses before I go play. That being said, Im done buying drivers for the foreseeable future.
[/quote]
TomJones,
Couple questions. How would you compare the Anser against the G25 in terms of forgiveness? Anser much harder to hit? Would you stay the same loft going from G25 to Anser?
[/quote]

2 very different worlds and on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Anser is a little harder to hit I suppose, and mishits often end up short which I think is a good thing. Better to be 150 yards short of the hole in the 2nd cut than 80 yards short and in the trees.

G25 is much more forgiving.

So, understand that when I bought the Anser last year I had a steep swing and as a result, a very high ball flight. I went with the Anser to decrease that ball flight while working with my swing coach to flatten out my swing. Now the Anser is barely high enough which is why I use the G25 stock stiff shaft in it now.

So, ideally Id actually go with a 9.5 or maybe 10 degree anser, and an 8.5 G25.

Oddly enough I love hitting the i25, especially with the alignment aid, but Ive had some days where the ball flight has gone a bit knuckleball on me. Other days Ive been hitting into the spring winds which are all kinds of crazy here in NC, so I try to reserve judgement. I think the i25 is much more sensitive to where ball contact is on the face. I notice some of my better drives coming from at or even below the mid center line, but I think Im just fighting a bad swing right now. Time for a lesson to tweak the swing. One thing for sure is that the ball carries just as far regardless of a draw or fade. Its the perfect club for me, I just need to dial it in and thats on me, not the club.

I loaned out my G25 about 1.5 months after I bought it to a friend of mine. Before I loaned it out I noticed all the ball marks were near the very top center of the club head - maybe 1/4 inch from the top, which then made me realize I need to lower my tee height. If I can lower that to a total of about .5 to .75 inch from the top center of the head, I think Ill be good to go and hit every shot ideal to the ball fight I want out of it. It is much harder for me to work the ball draw or fade with the G25, and almost impossible not to hit the club straight.

For total yards, Anser is my longest club, followed by i25, then G25.
For carry, i25 is the longest carry, then Anser, then G25

Sorry... went on rambling a bit there.
[/quote]
What do you think the distance difference is between the i25 and g25
[/quote]
Good question right there...^^^^^
TM '17 M1 Diamana WB 73
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
Callaway XR Pro 4-AW
Callaway MD Forged 54/60
TM Spider Tour Red

28

#29 rtraudt

rtraudt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 245541
  • Joined: 04/15/2013
  • Location:Milwaukee, WI
  • Ebay ID:rtraudt14
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

 ron lefthanded holmes, on 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

 Doopree, on 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.

Haven't tried the i25 but take the screw of the back and put some cotton wool in the g25 and its a totally different club, so quiet and still one of the best out there IMO

Did you just use the spike screw trick to get it out?  I'm interested in doing this as well to dull mine.  I also gave in a picked up an i25 on the BST so I'm going to have a shootout and see which gets the spot in my bag for the season.
TEE XCG6 13* Black Ops "The Pearl"
TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* AD-DI 8x
Wishon 775HS 18* S2S Black
Wishon 590DIH 24* S2S Black
Wishon 755PC 5-A S2S Stepless
Wishon Micro-Groove HM 55* and 60* S2S Knockdown
Byron Morgan 612
Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
Snell MTB

29

#30 PT1911

PT1911

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11655
  • Joined: 02/10/2006
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

 ron lefthanded holmes, on 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

 Doopree, on 17 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

The sound of the G25 is a turn off for me. I'd like to see how the i25 compares to my RBZ; it's difficult to fathom a driver that out performs the original RBZ driver for me.

Haven't tried the i25 but take the screw of the back and put some cotton wool in the g25 and its a totally different club, so quiet and still one of the best out there IMO
How much did you end up putting in there?

Srixon 565 9.5* HZRDUS Black HC
Cobra F7 14.5* Diamana D+ 82
Srixon Z545 3-PW
Vokey SM6 50* 56*
TM Spider Tour Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors