Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Showdown; JPX EZ (forged & non) vs. Ping (i20 & G25)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101496
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

I had the day off today and I have a list of irons to begin to test before making a purchase in the next 30 days.  I am starting indoors (winter here) to get a bit of feel and the use of the in-store monitors (with a grain of salt of course).  Ultimately my goal is to test the Ping i and G series irons, Mizuno JPX (forged and regular), Callaway X2 Hot and Titleiest AP1/AP2.  Today was the JPX and the Ping irons.  I hit them all with stock sharts.  The JPX regular model in a DG300 stiff and the forged in the 105g shaft.  The Ping's were both CFS stiff shafts.  I play to a 10hcp and my driver SS is 100-103.

I have hit the i20's (my brother owns them) and actually had the opporotunity to sneak in a few smacks with the new i25 my golf pro friend had.  The i20's were solid like most have reported, but I wasn't wowed by them.  I curently game the Cobra AMP Cell Forged and I would say they were very similar in distance and dispersion, but as you might expect after playing a forged iron, they just weren't that great feeling.  The G25 was much better and gave me solid numbers and I would rate them a bit ahead of my current Cobra irons.  The distance was average and again, it was just a monitor, but no gains off my current set-up but more forgiving.

I then went to the JPX EZ line and asked the store attendant to just hand me one.  He handed me the forged first and it was very nice; better than the i20, but not as solid as the G25.  For what it's worth, the i25 was right on par with the JPX EZ Forged.  Then came the non-forged JPX EZ and all I can say is wow!!  If you had asked me before I started which one of these four I would favor, I would have had the non-forged EZ #4.  It is now #1.  It felt better than the forged to me, but maybe due to the fact that I was just nutting this club.  Long, straight and great feel.  I had good numbers for me across the board and was about 8-10 yards longer than the others tested on the same monitor.  It 'aint for all of us, God forbid it be a thick top-line GI iron, but I could care less...it was outstanding.

I am now moving the G25 and of course the non-forged JPX EZ onto the next round.  I will put it against the Cally X2 Hot, the Titleiest (which I did hit some today and was impressed) and the i25 when I can get more time with hit in a full session.  I will narrow it to 2 or possibly 3 and then head out to the heated bays for final decisions.  Cheers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 URStillAway

URStillAway

79 is ten better than 80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48954
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Thanks    update after your next session if you can
Driver: K15 or SLDR 10.5 Reg Stock Shaft
FW's: Ping G20 4w    G15 7w
Irons: Titleist AP1 Reg Graphite
Wedges: Callaway X Forged 54/14 60/10
Handicap 8
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

#3 gpleonard

gpleonard

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140609
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

I like the Mizunos and the Callaways . Have hit both and are really impressed with them.
Gil Leonard

#4 hankmoody

hankmoody

Love Boat Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275573
  • Handicap:14.9
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Good stuff.  I play the JPX EZ non forged (KBS Tour 105), and came from Ping G15s (stock regular shaft).  I found the EZs to fly higher, be a little longer, and provide more feedback--both positive and negative--than the Pings.  On the course, I have the sense that the EZs are slightly less forgiving than the G15s, but that just might be strike quality.  I think the EZs look cool, but orange is one of my favorite colors.  The top line and offset give me a sense of  heft and weight behind the ball, which is good for me.
Callaway X2 Hot 10.5 w/Tour Blue  G25 3W
Callaway X2 Hot 4 & 5 hybrids
Mizuno JPX EZ 5-PW
Mizuno MP T4 50 & 54/Volkey SM4 58
Bettinardi BC 3 Carbon/Cameron Del Mar
B-330 RSX

#5 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

Wish I would have made the r a capital R

• 1,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191214
  • Ebay ID:winter4752
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Interesting findings..... I would have thought the i20 and the g20 to be higher than the JPX ez. Mizuno must have done a really good job with these. Thanks for the info.

I'm going i25 this year, but I'm a ping guy at heart. I tell ya what though, Callaway has some really nice offerings this year. I looked at the X2 hot pro hybrid yesterday. I could easily play those. I love the shape of the head and size is perfect.

9* G25 Driver, Tour AD DI 6 Black
13* Rapture 3 w, Speeder 757
2 Rature DI, KBS Tour V
4 & 5 G25 Irons, KBS Tour
6 - LW I25 Irons, KBS Tour
37" Counterbalanced Scottsdale

#6 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 430

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Nice review, will be interested to see which you choose.

#7 TPG1971

TPG1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253910
  • Ebay ID:hogans_alley
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

<Sarcasm on> Uh-oh, your handicap is not listed in your profile! Do we even bother to take this seriously??? <Sarcasm Off> Great review, and I too will be interested to see which one you prefer.
X2 Hot Pro Aldila Tour Blue
Anser 17 Hybrid
3-4 Ping i20 DGS300
5-PW Ping S55 DGS300
SCOR 50,54,58 1 flat
Bettinardi BB8 RJB5895

#8 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostTPG1971, on 21 January 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

<Sarcasm on> Uh-oh, your handicap is not listed in your profile! Do we even bother to take this seriously??? <Sarcasm Off> Great review, and I too will be interested to see which one you prefer.

...but it is in the body of my original post :)

#9 ttm27

ttm27

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107577
  • Ebay ID:terps2703
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

I like both Ping and Mizuno but got the best numbers and liked the feel best of the EZ Forged with KBS Tours.  Can't go wrong with any of them though.  Although most people don't like the look of the Mizunos (and I am not crazy about the orange on the cavity), but I like the look at address.
SLDR 460
Bio Cell 3/4 wood
Ping G25 20*/23* Hybrids
Cally Diablo Forged 5-SW
Eidolon 58*
Odyssey Versa 2 Ball

#10 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

View Post10of14, on 20 January 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I hit them all with stock sharts.

Gotta watch out for those, one false move on the down swing can ruin your day...

Sorry, I had to!  Thanks for the review so far. I didn't care for the G25 myself, despite being a digger, but I really liked the i20s. I haven't tried the EZs yet but remember liking the forged. Good luck with the upcoming experiments.

Covert Tour - Chrome 7F4T
Covert Tour 3w - KK Silver 70 Stiff
R11 Ti 5w - D+ 82s
FG Tour V2 3-PW - KBS Tour S
Scratch 8620 53&58 - DG Spinner
Ping Anser Milled "0"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostTxstcatman, on 21 January 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

Gotta watch out for those, one false move on the down swing can ruin your day...

Sorry, I had to!  Thanks for the review so far. I didn't care for the G25 myself, despite being a digger, but I really liked the i20s. I haven't tried the EZs yet but remember liking the forged. Good luck with the upcoming experiments.

HA!!!!!!!!!!  This may be one of the most hilarious responses to any of my posts and others I've read on this site.  I think that I proof pretty well, but obviously not.

I have a great sense of humor, so I totally appreciate your fun.  I was on the elevator of my office building today and during my long ride down was reading your post and burst out laughing hysterically...almost sharted right there too!!!  Cheers and thanks for the feedback...I think!

Edited by 10of14, 21 January 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#12 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

View Post10of14, on 21 January 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

HA!!!!!!!!!!  This may be one of the most hilarious responses to any of my posts and others I've read on this site.  I think that I proof pretty well, but obviously not.

I have a great sense of humor, so I totally appreciate your fun.  I was on the elevator of my office building today and during my long ride down was reading your post and burst out laughing hysterically...almost sharted right there too!!!  Cheers and thanks for the feedback...I think!

Haha good times. Really I just spotted it while reading, knowing full well the intent. I did enjoy the read on your take swinging those clubs. Are you more of a picker or digger? I play to about a 14 but can have flashes of a 10&20 all in the same round.
Covert Tour - Chrome 7F4T
Covert Tour 3w - KK Silver 70 Stiff
R11 Ti 5w - D+ 82s
FG Tour V2 3-PW - KBS Tour S
Scratch 8620 53&58 - DG Spinner
Ping Anser Milled "0"

#13 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostTxstcatman, on 21 January 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Post10of14, on 21 January 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

Haha good times. Really I just spotted it while reading, knowing full well the intent. I did enjoy the read on your take swinging those clubs. Are you more of a picker or digger? I play to about a 14 but can have flashes of a 10&20 all in the same round.

I am actually a sweeper.  I rarely take a large divot with 4-9 irons. If I dig, it is with short irons or half shots.

#14 CleSwag

CleSwag

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292915
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

I'm going to chime in here because I was extremely interested in the same irons you were and I ended up with something completely different just this last weekend.  Give the Ping Anser Forged Irons a swing.  Please give yourself this opportunity.  I found them to be a very forgiving club coming from the older Titleist DCI 990, high ball flight (with a small fade for me, maybe these should be a little more upright?) and a buttery soft feel.  They are probably going to be similar to i20 but I found the turf interaction to be a bit better than i20 and aesthetically more pleasing than Mizuno - that is if you like Ping, which I'm assuming you're okay with considering your choices here.  Good Luck.  Keep us posted.

#15 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostCleSwag, on 21 January 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

I'm going to chime in here because I was extremely interested in the same irons you were and I ended up with something completely different just this last weekend.  Give the Ping Anser Forged Irons a swing.  Please give yourself this opportunity.  I found them to be a very forgiving club coming from the older Titleist DCI 990, high ball flight (with a small fade for me, maybe these should be a little more upright?) and a buttery soft feel.  They are probably going to be similar to i20 but I found the turf interaction to be a bit better than i20 and aesthetically more pleasing than Mizuno - that is if you like Ping, which I'm assuming you're okay with considering your choices here.  Good Luck.  Keep us posted.

I might try them again.  I have an in-law who owns them and I hit them last season.  Great soft feel and straight.  However, for some reason, they were easily a club short of my irons and at my age, I need the added distance with mid-irons.  I will check 'em out with a different shaft to see if I get better results.

#16 CleSwag

CleSwag

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292915
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

Sounds good. You should check out the lofts on the clubs as well, some sets come with "strong" lofts that effectively make every club one club longer. It's one thing to hit the ball further but if you are putting more loft between you PW and gap or sw you really are hurting your overall game.

Not sure that is the case for you, but just saying...

Sounds like you're doing your homework so I'm sure you'll get something that really works for you.

#17 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostCleSwag, on 22 January 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Sounds good. You should check out the lofts on the clubs as well, some sets come with "strong" lofts that effectively make every club one club longer. It's one thing to hit the ball further but if you are putting more loft between you PW and gap or sw you really are hurting your overall game.

Not sure that is the case for you, but just saying...

Sounds like you're doing your homework so I'm sure you'll get something that really works for you.

Thanks for the replay and I am aware that every GI iron set today is built strong and my current Cobra Forged irons are no exception so I account for that.  I always buy through the gap wedge so all I need to do is make certain that my sand and lob wedges are in line with the lofts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors