Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anyone use a double-overlap grip for full swings?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rosskoss

rosskoss

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7235
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:01 AM

http://www.golfdiges...leadbetter.html

I've been studying some videos of my swing and noticed that using a double-overlap grip promotes more level shoulders. It also seems to allow for a more "swingy" (as opposed to hit) swing with a more free release. I can feel the weight of the clubhead better because there are fewer fingers of the right hand on the club.

So anyone use this grip?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Furrankee

Furrankee

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14382

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:15 AM

View Postrosskoss, on Jun 3 2007, 10:01 PM, said:

http://www.golfdiges...leadbetter.html

I've been studying some videos of my swing and noticed that using a double-overlap grip promotes more level shoulders. It also seems to allow for a more "swingy" (as opposed to hit) swing with a more free release. I can feel the weight of the clubhead better because there are fewer fingers of the right hand on the club.

So anyone use this grip?

I've tried it. I mean, unless you're able to uncock your left wrist and rotate your left forearm on plane on a consistent basis, and get that downward strike perfectly, it's really a hard grip to use. Yes it's only one finger but it's hard (for me) to get control.

#3 jscw

jscw

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8570

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

I did the double interlock grip around 2 years ago. I don't even know Mr. Leadbetter at that time. Just trying different grip.
Based on my personal experience and a little bit thinking, the double interlock grip really helps me to lock both hands together, but my hands movement got restricted more which I don't like. Now I return the "single" interlock grip.

I don't think the double up grips can hinge more freely. For me, it's the strong grip to allow me hinging easily.

#4 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 521

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

I played around with it once a couple of years ago just to see what it felt like when I found out Furyk used it.  It felt very strange but much like you describe.  Felt like I'd have no control of the club but I actually hit very good shots with it.

I think the type of grip you use needs to be well suited to the type of swing you employ.  The double overlap grip IMHO, has a lot of merit for a left side controlled golf swing (pulling/swinging action). If you have a left side controlled swing that has the right hand take over too much (causing occasional shut faced pulls and hooks), this could be a good grip to try out.

#5 302-4v Boss

302-4v Boss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50623

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

I am new to the board, and so I am throwing my .02 in late. I started using a modified double interlock a few years ago after seeing photos of John Daly in a Golf Digest. I noticed he was using a standard interlock but he allowed his right ring finger to overlap the index finger of the left. So it is a combination of sorts. I tend to let my right hand take over at impact, so I tried it. I now use it for all full shots except pitches and chips. Since the right hand is effectively "shorter" it increases lag and the hard hooks are now draws or slight fades. I can really swing hard without worry of hooking so distance is greatly increased.
This isn't for everybody, my buddies tried it and were all over the place. If anyone has any interest in trying this you may want to scour old Golf Digest copies from 2 to 3 years ago. The copy you want has Daly on the cover.

#6 birdie_man

birdie_man

galoooooshhhh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19113
  • Ebay ID:birdie_man_1

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

Love it for putting.  Way too weird for full swing.  Works for Furyk well enough though.

#7 Ridgecrest18

Ridgecrest18

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25042
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

Played about 8 months using the double overlap following a fracture of the fifth metacarpal in my right hand..... It sure beat not playing at all.

#8 rickeydidio

rickeydidio

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4087

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

i broke my 4th metacarpal on the right hand and used it for about 3 months when getting back into playing. back then i was OTT pretty bad. the double over lap took out the pull hook out of play so i could just play one side of the course but everything was just so short. once i felt confident that my hand had healed i went back to the single overlap. i would be interested to see what it can do to removing one side now that i am a Golfing Machine guy.

#9 shawnee

shawnee

Morris> Vardon> Nelson> Nicklaus> Woods

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21792
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

myself when I really, really need to hit a cut, especially under the gun, the DO never fails.

YMMV

Kindest regards, Shawnee
SLDR 430
TM Tour Jetspeed 3w
Adams Tour Proto 20 Hybrid
TM RSi 1 4-P
Tour Vokey's 49-55-61
Custom Shop Cameron Newport Select
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors