Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wood shaft in a hybrid

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Napkin2011

Napkin2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148467
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Can this be done?  If there is a shaft made for a wood, would it work cut down for a hybrid?  I know many companies have specific hybrid shafts but  I'm wondering if there is no specific hybrid version made of a favorite driver shaft, could a fitter make this work?

RBZ stage 2 9.5 Diamana B Series
Ping G25 17, stock stiff
Rescue 2007 19 Excalibur 6
R11 5-PW KBS Tour
Scor 48, Vokey 52, 56
Odyssey Sabretooth 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 theycallmebruce

theycallmebruce

Long Time Lurker

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69464
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

The closest thing I have experimented is a 70 gram attas into a 2 iron.  Needless to say that club is no longer around.  But I have had a lot of success and confidence with a 4 iron I shafted with a Graphite Design DI hybrid shaft.

#3 hobbygolfer

hobbygolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18826
  • Ebay ID:strand110
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:53 AM

There are a couple of things, you have to take into consideration:

Most hybrids are 0.370 tip diameter, while most wood shafts are 0.335. You have to find an oversized shim to close this gap, to make sure, that the epoxy doesn't fail.

Secondly, a hybrid head normally is heavier compared to a FW head with the same loft. So you have to tip the shaft for a hybrid quite a bit, that it doesn't play like a wet noodle. And this this comes the third problem:

If you tip a shaft that much, you might run out of PTS and will face even more trouble to make it fit into the hosel. But what's more important: You will loose the feel of the shaft completely. You are cutting off a lot of the most flexible part of a shaft (tip) leaving you more of the most rigid part of the shaft (butt). This will change the over all feel completly. Chances are, you are not going to like, what you found.

There are so many different hybrid shafts with different bend profiles out there. I don't think, that there is a reason to kill a woodshaft to play it in a hybrid head.

Regards,
Michael

Edited by hobbygolfer, 05 December 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#4 Napkin2011

Napkin2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148467
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

View Posthobbygolfer, on 05 December 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Most hybrids are 0.370 tip diameter, while most wood shafts are 0.335. You have to find an oversized shim to close this gap, to make sure, that the epoxy doesn't fail.

Secondly, a hybrid head normally is heavier compared to a FW head with the same loft. So you have to tip the shaft for a hybrid quite a bit, that it doesn't play like a wet noodle. And this this comes the third problem:

If you tip a shaft that much, you might run out of PTS and will face even more trouble to make it fit into the hosel. But what's more important: You will loose the feel of the shaft completely. You are cutting off a lot of the most flexible part of a shaft (tip) leaving you more of the most rigid part of the shaft (butt). This will change the over all feel completly. Chances are, you are not going to like, what you found.

There are so many different hybrid shafts with different bend profiles out there. I don't think, that there is a reason to kill a woodshaft to play it in a hybrid head.

Regards,
Michael

thanks - very helpful - appreciate the reply
RBZ stage 2 9.5 Diamana B Series
Ping G25 17, stock stiff
Rescue 2007 19 Excalibur 6
R11 5-PW KBS Tour
Scor 48, Vokey 52, 56
Odyssey Sabretooth 2

#5 Shaftology

Shaftology

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63931
  • Ebay ID:dgolfer151
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostNapkin2011, on 05 December 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

View Posthobbygolfer, on 05 December 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Regards,
Michael

thanks - very helpful - appreciate the reply
Depending upon the hybrid head, sometimes you HAVE to use a wood shaft or a hybrid/fairway wood shaft to fit the hosel diameter.  For example, Cobra and Bobby Jones hybrids are typically .335 tip and Callaway are typically .350 tip.  Mitsubishi Rayon only makes .350 tip hybrids and very few companies (MATRIX, Grafalloy) ever made .335, .350 and .370 tip shafts.  ACCRA and Mitsubishi make a .335 44" hybrid/fairway wood shaft that can be used for both hybrids and fairway woods.  So, depending upon the head you are using, you have some choices.  That said, I would not try to force-fit a wood shaft (.335) into a .370 hybrid as there are a lot of hybrid shafts (.370) that will work much better.

#6 duytang

duytang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219561
  • Ebay ID:duytang
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

As an experiment I tried this with an old broken cleveland hybrid and a broken shaft. Like stated above you completely change how the shaft feels tipping it that much. To be honest though it played perfectly fine, it just felt stupidly stiff (more so then what a XXX-flex feels like in a driver).

#7 hobbygolfer

hobbygolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18826
  • Ebay ID:strand110
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Shaftology,

you are 100% correct. There are a couple of 0.335 hybrids and 0.350 out there. The company I work for, is a TWGT distributor for Germany and all his hybrid designs are 0.335 tip diameter. One of our favorite shafts for that task is the SK Fiber HF80, comes in both diameters (0.370 and 0.335). Great shaft for a lot of golfers.

Regards,
Michael

#8 trhode

trhode

Fitter / Builder

• 665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67563
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

All Wishon hybrid shafts and heads are .335 and extremely inexpensive for the performance and quality.

#9 Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221601
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

I wish they made a graphite wood shaft as stout as a hybrid shaft myself.

#10 trhode

trhode

Fitter / Builder

• 665 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

.370 hybrid shafts in .350 driver heads are very common. Tad Fujikawa played a Diamana Hybrid shaft in his driver in the Sony Open a while back.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 super20dan

super20dan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

funny -i just  experimented with this very topic. i put a 335 into a 370 hybrid. i used a 335 to 350 adaptor-then a shim. it fit fine. the shaft i chose however was too flexable. the club played like a wet noodle. i didnt have another decent shaft to try on this experiment so i just bought a reg 370 shaft. however -this can be done. 335 to 370. i wanted a longer shafted hybrid to make it a fairway wood .
73 hogan apex

#12 Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221601
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Posttrhode, on 06 December 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

.370 hybrid shafts in .350 driver heads are very common. Tad Fujikawa played a Diamana Hybrid shaft in his driver in the Sony Open a while back.
Could you elaborate? Most hybrid shafts are only 42" long. It looks like some of the pros are playing fairly short drivers but I don't know if many play them at 43". This is a GREAT suggestion for my next 3w however!

Edited by Upgrayedd, 06 December 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#13 trhode

trhode

Fitter / Builder

• 665 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Tad was about 4'6", so it was no problem.  Also, adding a shaft extension for an extra inch or so shouldn't be an issue.

#14 CallawayKid86

CallawayKid86

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127942
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

I snapped a shaft off in my 3 wood right above the hosel once. So I tipped it to make a clean cut and then put that shaft in a hybrid. Gave me a little lower flight than the stock hybrid shaft, but felt great. My brother still uses it.
TM 300ti 9.5
KZG II M 3i Bent to 19*
RL Forged FC/HC/BL 3-PW
Scratch 1018 53*
Taylormade ATV 58*
Macgregor Hoylake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors