Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Skycaddie Touch

693 replies to this topic

#61 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 13 March 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

View PostTM_HOYER, on 13 March 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

View Postdearth12, on 12 March 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Well like many of you have mentioned the setbacks are already starting for this unit. When I pre-ordered I was told it would ship on 3/21. Since we are getting close to that date I decided to "live chat" with a representative today to confirm the ship date and sure enough it's already been pushed back to an "estimated" 4/15 ship date!!!! Since I live in Ohio I went ahead and sold my old skycaddie believing that a unit coming in late March wouldn't cost me many (or any) rounds without a GPS. Now that it's pushed back I'm without a unit. I know it's only 3 and 1/2 weeks later, but that is just an "estimate" could be longer. Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm not sure I would have preordered knowing this and I'm sure I wouldn't have sold my other gps device.

I believe Skycaddies are the best GPS you can buy but I have learned over the years that when it comes to ship dates from them, don't believe any date until they say they are shipping. Their marketing history is to be too optimistic saying when a product will be available for purchase.

However, consider it a blessing in disguise. Hopefully they're working out a few of the kinks, and it'll be 100% bug free when it arrives! ;-) SkyGolf is notorious for shipping buggy devices. I don't expect this one to be any better, but a delay should mean a slightly less buggy experience. I hope.

Based on their forum postings, I would agree with what you said about getting the units when they first come out. I bought a SGX when it first came out and never had an issue. The same goes for the SGXw I currently own. I don't know if that means I should hold off getting the Touch because my luck is going to have to run out at some point.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 w/ Project X LZ50 Handcrafted 5.0
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 5, and 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ 95 5.5 Softstepped
Callaway MD Forged 56, 60 Slate w/ Project X LZ 5.5
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295409
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

When I ordered, the April 15 date was already in effect.  I have a buyer for my SGX, but told them, not available till I receive my new Touch Skycaddie.  Had previous experience with their delays.  At one time they were supposed to have the ability to recognize  each club, and track it. That went out the window. Never heard another word about it.  Now Game Golf has a system available for this, but it is not a GPS. Only tracks your distances for each club, doesn't give distances on the course.  Don't understand why Skygolf never perfected this unto the skycaddie units like they were supposed to.

#63 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostBCham454, on 13 March 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

When I ordered, the April 15 date was already in effect.  I have a buyer for my SGX, but told them, not available till I receive my new Touch Skycaddie.  Had previous experience with their delays.  At one time they were supposed to have the ability to recognize  each club, and track it. That went out the window. Never heard another word about it.  Now Game Golf has a system available for this, but it is not a GPS. Only tracks your distances for each club, doesn't give distances on the course.  Don't understand why Skygolf never perfected this unto the skycaddie units like they were supposed to.

They would have lost their USGA and R&A  "approved for use" status if the device helped with club selection... That is why they dropped club tracking tags... At least that was my understanding

Edited by jnradioactive, 14 March 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#64 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Bad News, just received this e-mail

Thank you for your recent pre-order of a SkyCaddie Touch. Due to unforeseen delays with one of our suppliers, we wanted to inform you that your pre-order will take a little longer to fulfill and deliver. At this time we do not have a firm date of delivery we can provide you, but we will update you on the status of the product in 2 weeks, unless we are able to fulfill your order earlier. When we ship your order, you will receive a confirmation email with tracking information.

Please accept our apologies for this delay.  It will definitely be worth the wait!

Regards,

SkyGolf Customer Support

#65 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

View PostBCham454, on 27 March 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Bad News, just received this e-mail

Thank you for your recent pre-order of a SkyCaddie Touch. Due to unforeseen delays with one of our suppliers, we wanted to inform you that your pre-order will take a little longer to fulfill and deliver. At this time we do not have a firm date of delivery we can provide you, but we will update you on the status of the product in 2 weeks, unless we are able to fulfill your order earlier. When we ship your order, you will receive a confirmation email with tracking information.

Please accept our apologies for this delay.  It will definitely be worth the wait!

Regards,

SkyGolf Customer Support

They billed you in full already right?

#66 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Glad I still have my SGX.  I am selling it, but not until I receive my new touch. For people who don't want to pay for a membership, I am selling mine and loading 50 advanced courses of their choice. ( it's in perfect condition, with the range ring updates )That way for the casual player they will have all the courses they need, with no need to pay for the membership if they don't want too. So for $125 they get a good deal. Plus I paid $250 for the touch, so I am really getting it for $125. Figure it's a win win for both parties. I don't mind the membership fee. I play over 100 times a year, and love all the stats I can keep, to evaluate my performance.

#67 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Yes already paid in full, but still have my SGX. It's for sale

#68 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

View PostBCham454, on 27 March 2014 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yes already paid in full, but still have my SGX. It's for sale

Yeah I have a SGX too, most companies when they do preorders don't actually bill your CC until the item ships. I saw this coming they did it with the SGX too. I think they literally fund the initial manufacturering costs with people's preorder money...

#69 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostBCham454, on 27 March 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

Glad I still have my SGX.  I am selling it, but not until I receive my new touch. For people who don't want to pay for a membership, I am selling mine and loading 50 advanced courses of their choice. ( it's in perfect condition, with the range ring updates )That way for the casual player they will have all the courses they need, with no need to pay for the membership if they don't want too. So for $125 they get a good deal. Plus I paid $250 for the touch, so I am really getting it for $125. Figure it's a win win for both parties. I don't mind the membership fee. I play over 100 times a year, and love all the stats I can keep, to evaluate my performance.

Btw I don't think your idea will work, I tried this when I sold my SG5, when I moved my membership to the SGX the the guy who I sold the  SG5 to told me they basically wiped it and it just had the basic courses and constant reminders to sign up for a membership...

#70 dearth12

dearth12

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74055
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:Dearth3259
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Anyone want to start guessing when people that preordered the Touch actually get the thing?

I'll start.....

My prediction- Mid June

Cobra LTD w/ UST Axivcore Tour Black 79-X
Callaway Epic 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85-X
Adams Red 20* w/ KBS Hybrid Shaft X
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW w/ KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno T7 50*, 55*, 60* w/ KBS C-Taper X (soft stepped once)
Ping Vault Bergen (Slate) 38"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 13702

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

View Postdearth12, on 27 March 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

Anyone want to start guessing when people that preordered the Touch actually get the thing?

I'll start.....

My prediction- Mid June

Lol. Do you mean get a Touch, or get one that works? :-) I've had so many bad experiences with new models that I'm finsally going to sit this one out for a year. If I purchase one next Spring, I assume there will still be plenty of bugs, but the real showstoppers will have been cured. Hopefully.

That said, mid-June is a good guess.

#72 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

View Postjnradioactive, on 27 March 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Btw I don't think your idea will work, I tried this when I sold my SG5, when I moved my membership to the SGX the the guy who I sold the  SG5 to told me they basically wiped it and it just had the basic courses and constant reminders to sign up for a membership...

How did they erase the courses?  If you don't plug it into a computer and into Skycaddie sight, i can't imagine how they could erase anything on your unit.

#73 MSchad

MSchad

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93174
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostBCham454, on 28 March 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

How did they erase the courses?  If you don't plug it into a computer and into Skycaddie sight, i can't imagine how they could erase anything on your unit.

There is an expiration timestamp within the data files on the caddie which is updated with each download. When you boot up your caddie it checks this and if it is expired it will not load the coarses for play until you renew and download a new renewal timestamp. I don't think they actually wipe the unit, but the software could be programmed for that.

Edited by MSchad, 28 March 2014 - 01:46 PM.

Taylormade M2
Nike Sumo 3w, 5w
Nike CPR 26*
Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58
Scotty Futura X7M DB
Arccos Game Tracker

#74 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 13,227 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostMSchad, on 28 March 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

There is an expiration timestamp within the data files of the caddie which is updated with each download. When that hits, the coarses aren't actually gone off the caddie, but it will not load them for play until you renew and download a new renewal timestamp.

Yup. If you check the settings, the device knows when your membership expires. At that point, the nags begin, and the advanced features are disabled.

#75 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 3332

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 28 March 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

There is an expiration timestamp within the data files of the caddie which is updated with each download. When that hits, the coarses aren't actually gone off the caddie, but it will not load them for play until you renew and download a new renewal timestamp.

Yup. If you check the settings, the device knows when your membership expires. At that point, the nags begin, and the advanced features are disabled.

With the time bomb software, the cost of membership, The pay up front and get the delays and hiccups in production, I am surprised Skycaddie has the market share it does.

#76 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 13,227 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostHateto3Putt, on 28 March 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 28 March 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

With the time bomb software, the cost of membership, The pay up front and get the delays and hiccups in production, I am surprised Skycaddie has the market share it does.

Well, the time bomb goes hand in hand with the membership. No membership, no advanced features.

That said, it says a lot about the functionality and quality of the data. People are willing to live with the hiccups to get the features.

#77 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

View Postjnradioactive, on 27 March 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

To transfer your membership to your new unit, you have deactivate you old unit which requires it to be connected. It will wipe your old unit clean when it is deactivated.

Edited by TM_HOYER, 28 March 2014 - 05:59 PM.

Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

#78 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

There is an expiration timestamp within the data files on the caddie which is updated with each download. When you boot up your caddie it checks this and if it is expired it will not load the coarses for play until you renew and download a new renewal timestamp. I don't think they actually wipe the unit, but the software could be programmed for that.

^^^Correct^^^ Thanks for the clarification.

I guess "wiping" was the wrong term on my part. But the advanced courses that are downloaded are tied to the membership expiration date (which the device knows from when the membership/device was enabled), membership expires and the advanced courses don't work... There is no free lunch... otherwise people who don't need more than x amount of courses would load them up with ~50 courses and come next year tell SC to pound sand... actually smart on their behalf... membership that have down pat the rest of the software not so much

Edited by jnradioactive, 28 March 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#79 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Damn ! So when I activate the new touch, my SGX is wiped clean, huh. I'll probably transfer, then have the Touch give me problems. Guess I'll hold on to my SGX till I'm sure everything works good on the Touch, then sell it.  Thanks for all the input.

#80 _Fred_

_Fred_

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 287435
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

If the Touch is getting delayed, does that mean that we can expect the Linx to be delayed too?
I have the impression it is not even possible to pre-order this one...

And I was hoping to buy my first golf watch by Mid-April :mellow:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• 5,675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

You can get a addtional device on your membership, i have mine setup that way so i can put up to 2 or 3 devices on my membership. This will allow me to test the Touch until i am sure that it works fine.
TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM PSi 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

#82 James B

James B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72611
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

First round of the year and my SGX will not find satellites.  I really can not complain since I got the SGX when it was first released (I think in 2010).  I just ordered my TOUCH to replace my SGX.
917D2, 9.5, MT-6s
917 F216.5, 21 Diamana S+ Limited 70
816H1, 23, 27 with Rogue Black 85H
716 T-MB, 6-PW, GW, Modus 120S
Vokey SM6  56(V) (bent to 55), 60(V) Modus 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport or Concept 1 (Circle T)

#83 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 13,227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostJames B, on 01 April 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

First round of the year and my SGX will not find satellites.  I really can not complain since I got the SGX when it was first released (I think in 2010).  I just ordered my TOUCH to replace my SGX.

The Air Force Space Command is playing an April Fool's Day joke on everyone. They turned off the satellites. :-)

#84 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• 5,675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

that is not a funny joke to us golfers LOL
TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM PSi 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

#85 James B

James B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72611
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

I guess they started the April's fool on Sunday.  It did cross mind on the course that it was a system problem.  I even tried seeing if a update was necessary but that did not work.

917D2, 9.5, MT-6s
917 F216.5, 21 Diamana S+ Limited 70
816H1, 23, 27 with Rogue Black 85H
716 T-MB, 6-PW, GW, Modus 120S
Vokey SM6  56(V) (bent to 55), 60(V) Modus 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport or Concept 1 (Circle T)

#86 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

New update.  Just received this from SkyGolf.

Hello,
Recently we emailed to advise that your Pre-order of the SkyCaddie Touch was delayed due to unforeseen delays with one of our suppliers.  We wanted to inform you that your pre-order will take a little longer to fulfill and deliver. At this time we do not have a firm date of delivery we can provide you, but we will update you on the status of the product on May 5th, unless we are able to fulfill your order earlier.  
We appreciate your continued patience and would like to send you a Dozen Bridgestone B330 –RX valued at $45, along with your order when it ships.   When we ship your order, you will receive a confirmation email with tracking information.
Regards,
SkyGolf Customer Support

#87 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm starting to get really pissed off.  They had NO problem taking my money, back in February . Now, their pushing this back till May !!!

#88 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

This was my reply to SkyGolf.

This is ridiculous !  You had NO problem taking my money, back in February. Now I have to wait till May,  maybe!!!   Instead of golf balls, take the $45 off the price, I have already paid. Or better yet, pay my membership when it's up in November !!  I don't need stinking golf balls !!!  You had no right to hit my credit card, until you had a product to forward.  I've NEVER had anyone do that to me before. I buy a lot of things online, and NO ONE charges your credit card until they have an item to ship !!  Can you say FRAUD !!!!!
Sent from my iPad

#89 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostBCham454, on 09 April 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

I'm starting to get really pissed off.  They had NO problem taking my money, back in February . Now, their pushing this back till May !!!

It's Déjà vu all over again, this is what they did with the SGX

#90 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

View PostBCham454, on 09 April 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

This was my reply to SkyGolf.

This is ridiculous !  You had NO problem taking my money, back in February. Now I have to wait till May,  maybe!!!   Instead of golf balls, take the $45 off the price, I have already paid. Or better yet, pay my membership when it's up in November !!  I don't need stinking golf balls !!!  You had no right to hit my credit card, until you had a product to forward.  I've NEVER had anyone do that to me before. I buy a lot of things online, and NO ONE charges your credit card until they have an item to ship !!  Can you say FRAUD !!!!!
Sent from my iPad

Sorry but no sympathy from me. Their history gave a 99.9% chance there would be a delay. Plus before you ordered they said they would charge your credit card. There is no fraud. It is just you being pi**ed because you are not getting it when you want it. Am I going to buy a Touch? YES! But I will wait until they ship and buy it from my local retailer. My world is not going to fall apart because it will be May or June before it buy it.

Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors