Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Skycaddie Touch

693 replies to this topic

#31 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3201

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

If it has 34,000 courses preloaded, does that mean you won't have to buy a subscription or do the preloaded ones just offer very basic information.

What will you have to download through the phone if the courses are already in there?

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 12426

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

View Postsheppy335, on 22 January 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

At first i am thinking Iphone and Andriod OS then slowly it will include other things and more Andriods.

I could be wrong also, we will find out soon enough. If only an Iphone they will limit the audience but i am also sure you can sync it up via computer also.

I have no doubt that it will be synch-able with a PC, as this has been standard on every device since the original SG1. However, the ability to sync via BT with a smartphone is a key new feature, eliminating one of the major annoyances of the device. If you happen to be on travel, and away from your PC, and your plans change, you are SOL if the course is not loaded on your device. I "upgraded" from an SGX to an SGXw to get the WiFi sync feature, only to discover that the WiFi network had to be browser-less (i.e. no user agreement page). Given that the majority of open WiFi networks require one to click a terms of usage agreement using a browser, the feature has been pretty much worthless. I'm really hoping that the BT sync corrects this deficiency, but as I mentioned, I'm not holding my breath that all phones will be supported initially, or ever. Given my past experience with SkyGolf software, I expect several patches before the feature works.

#33 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 22 January 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

If it has 34,000 courses preloaded, does that mean you won't have to buy a subscription or do the preloaded ones just offer very basic information.

What will you have to download through the phone if the courses are already in there?

The preloaded courses will likely have basic yardage data only. The advanced features are only available as part of a subscription. If you want basic yardage only, there are other cheaper options out there that would be a better match. The value of a SkyCaddie is in the advanced features.

#34 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 1,974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 22 January 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

At first i am thinking Iphone and Andriod OS then slowly it will include other things and more Andriods.

I could be wrong also, we will find out soon enough. If only an Iphone they will limit the audience but i am also sure you can sync it up via computer also.

I have no doubt that it will be synch-able with a PC, as this has been standard on every device since the original SG1. However, the ability to sync via BT with a smartphone is a key new feature, eliminating one of the major annoyances of the device. If you happen to be on travel, and away from your PC, and your plans change, you are SOL if the course is not loaded on your device. I "upgraded" from an SGX to an SGXw to get the WiFi sync feature, only to discover that the WiFi network had to be browser-less (i.e. no user agreement page). Given that the majority of open WiFi networks require one to click a terms of usage agreement using a browser, the feature has been pretty much worthless. I'm really hoping that the BT sync corrects this deficiency, but as I mentioned, I'm not holding my breath that all phones will be supported initially, or ever. Given my past experience with SkyGolf software, I expect several patches before the feature works.

I agree with you the syncing using BT is a major positive. I also have the SGXw but I have not had to deal with the issue you have. I like that I can sync using my home wifi network rather than hooking it up to the computer. It is a lot faster. But I also agree the inability to connect to wifi networks that require browser input is a problem.
Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 w/ Fujikura Pro 53 Regular
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 5, and 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ 95 5.5 Softstepped
Callaway MD Forged 56-10 Slate w/ Project X LZ 5.5
Callaway MD3 58-8 C grind with Project X LZ 5.5
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

#35 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 1,974 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

If the onDEMAND HD data does add more detail and makes the display/information close to a tour caddies yardage book, that is a very good move. Between Garmin and the phone apps, anybody can take a satellite picture and give you basic yardages. But when you add onDEMAND HD along with intelligreen Pro, Pinpoint, and mapping the course through walking to give you more yardage information, you are getting a lot more than what the others offer. You if have the same information as everyone and charge a subscription fee, you lose. If you offer a lot more information that others do not have and have a subscription, you can compete.

Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

#36 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostTM_HOYER, on 22 January 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

If the onDEMAND HD data does add more detail and makes the display/information close to a tour caddies yardage book, that is a very good move. Between Garmin and the phone apps, anybody can take a satellite picture and give you basic yardages. But when you add onDEMAND HD along with intelligreen Pro, Pinpoint, and mapping the course through walking to give you more yardage information, you are getting a lot more than what the others offer. You if have the same information as everyone and charge a subscription fee, you lose. If you offer a lot more information that others do not have and have a subscription, you can compete.

I certainly hope the onDemand feature doesn't require continuous connection to a smartphone to be usable. If the data is downloaded to the Touch when syncing, then fine, but a continuous connection would be a PITA.

#37 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 1,974 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 22 January 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

View PostTM_HOYER, on 22 January 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

I certainly hope the onDemand feature doesn't require continuous connection to a smartphone to be usable. If the data is downloaded to the Touch when syncing, then fine, but a continuous connection would be a PITA.

Based on the press release, you will be able to download and store up to 100 HD courses.
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

#38 dave s 316

dave s 316

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117083
  • Ebay ID:ds316inya
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

I can't wait to try this thing out. I've owned a skycaddie since the begining and have loved them all. My wife got me a laser rangefinder as a gift, and they both have their place.

#39 willowbrooktony

willowbrooktony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60034
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Reading through some of the info from Skycaddie, on of the things I am excited about was the ability to enter in pin positions off of a pin sheet.  As somebody who plays in tournaments where we get pin sheets all the time that appears to be a nice upgrade, directed at the "better" player if you will who might have been attracted to laser to get that exact distance.

I seem to be in the minority of scratch players who actually prefer a GPS, which for me has always been Skycaddie.  It seems in the tournaments I play in, a good 90% are using lasers.

#40 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I just renewed my membership for my SGXw, and I received an email last night with a coupon offering a $50 discount on the Touch, which based on the screenshot in the email, would result in a $249 price for a new Touch. Hmmmmm, tempting.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 1,974 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 23 January 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

I just renewed my membership for my SGXw, and I received an email last night with a coupon offering a $50 discount on the Touch, which based on the screenshot in the email, would result in a $249 price for a new Touch. Hmmmmm, tempting.

Nice. I have two years left before my renewal so I cannot do the same to get the $50 off.
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

#42 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 3297

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostTM_HOYER, on 23 January 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 23 January 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Nice. I have two years left before my renewal so I cannot do the same to get the $50 off.

Two years is like twenty years in technological advances. (of course $50 will be like $44 then)

#43 ClayGolf84

ClayGolf84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100091
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

This showed up on facebook and in twitter..  New SkyGolf Products..

#44 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1260

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

You could just set your smartphone to be a WiFi hotspot.
Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#45 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

View Postmwkbmw, on 05 February 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

You could just set your smartphone to be a WiFi hotspot.

Yes, now that carriers are eliminating unlimited data plans, they can't BS the FCC and restrict hotspotting. I was not able to hotspot on my old Sprint phone with unlimited data, but now that I have a capped plan on Verizon, I can do this.

#46 BCham454

BCham454

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295409
  • Handicap:18

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

I have a SGX and love it.  What I hate about it is the zoom.  It allows you to move up the  fairway. But doesn't really zoom in. Graphics stay small and hard to pinpoint exactly.  If this new Touch gives a better zoom in and larger graphics, it will be well worth it for me. Working wireless or Bluetooth will be great, but the images on the screen are more important to me. I play with people using other brands, and lasers.  My SGX is right on with the laser, using the predetermined pinpoints at one of the courses I play. I believe they are more accurate than any other brand.

#47 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostBCham454, on 05 February 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

I have a SGX and love it.  What I hate about it is the zoom.  It allows you to move up the  fairway. But doesn't really zoom in. Graphics stay small and hard to pinpoint exactly.  If this new Touch gives a better zoom in and larger graphics, it will be well worth it for me. Working wireless or Bluetooth will be great, but the images on the screen are more important to me. I play with people using other brands, and lasers.  My SGX is right on with the laser, using the predetermined pinpoints at one of the courses I play. I believe they are more accurate than any other brand.

Apparently the zoom function was quite controversial when it first came out. The area displayed at each zoom level is fixed, so it doesn't allow you to center the display on a specific area. This can be problematic on par 5's, as your landing area winds up at the bottom, or just off the bottom of the display. Hopefully the new Touch will allow the user to center the display on any point, and pinch to zoom.

#48 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

If they are allowing course downloads from smartphone via an App (I assume over bluetooth) I hope they address the horrible "feature" where adding one course requires all courses to be re-downloaded. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to sync over USB now it should take seconds and it takes 10-15 minutes...

I wont be stupid enough to pre-order this like i did with the SGX, they basically made us all beta testers for that device

#49 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

View Postjnradioactive, on 28 February 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

If they are allowing course downloads from smartphone via an App (I assume over bluetooth) I hope they address the horrible "feature" where adding one course requires all courses to be re-downloaded. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to sync over USB now it should take seconds and it takes 10-15 minutes...

I wont be stupid enough to pre-order this like i did with the SGX, they basically made us all beta testers for that device

Lol. It wasn't just the SGX. Every Skycaddie device was released before it was ready for prime time. Software development and quality assurance are certainly not SkyGolf's strong suit.

#50 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 28 February 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Lol. It wasn't just the SGX. Every Skycaddie device was released before it was ready for prime time. Software development and quality assurance are certainly not SkyGolf's strong suit.

True... I was just stupid enough to buy the SGX on pre-order the SG2, 4 and 5 I bought after they had been out for awhile...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 1,974 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

When you sync the SGXw over Wifi, it does not reload courses. It takes me about 30 seconds to sync. I hardly ever connect my SGXw to my computer.
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

#52 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostTM_HOYER, on 28 February 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

When you sync the SGXw over Wifi, it does not reload courses. It takes me about 30 seconds to sync. I hardly ever connect my SGXw to my computer.

Good to know, just have the SGX here , not the SGXw... Hopefully the Touch will behave the way you describe the SGXw...

#53 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• 5,615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 623

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

I was smart to buy the SGX about a year after release so i did the updates and device wasnt an issue. You are correct about course repeat download and it will be nice if it follows SGXw in seperate downloads.
TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM SLDR 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

#54 Kevin01

Kevin01

Chili Dip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132039

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

View Postsheppy335, on 03 December 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I love my SGX but if this offers more i will be very interested.

Saw this on the Skycaddie website.   My rubber button just came off my SGX so this might force my hand.

#55 Kevin01

Kevin01

Chili Dip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132039

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 22 January 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

The SGX has a bunch preloaded with just F / M / B yardage and the scorecard, when you have the membership you get the additional info, carries / layups / hazards etc.

#56 golfdad907

golfdad907

Play fast, have fun

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24061
  • Ebay ID:golfdad_907
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 03 December 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

View Postmike johnston, on 03 December 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Big question will be Subscription fees :(

I don't have a problem with the fees. I guess if I played only a handful of courses a year, it might bug me. However, I play dozens of new courses around the country each year, and having good data on my GPS is worth $40.

I don't mind the fee either, it's basically a decent bar tab and since I too play new courses, as well as get some of my locals updated now and then, it's no big deal.
2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S  44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7  Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

#57 dearth12

dearth12

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74055
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:Dearth3259
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well like many of you have mentioned the setbacks are already starting for this unit. When I pre-ordered I was told it would ship on 3/21. Since we are getting close to that date I decided to "live chat" with a representative today to confirm the ship date and sure enough it's already been pushed back to an "estimated" 4/15 ship date!!!! Since I live in Ohio I went ahead and sold my old skycaddie believing that a unit coming in late March wouldn't cost me many (or any) rounds without a GPS. Now that it's pushed back I'm without a unit. I know it's only 3 and 1/2 weeks later, but that is just an "estimate" could be longer. Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm not sure I would have preordered knowing this and I'm sure I wouldn't have sold my other gps device.
Cobra LTD w/ UST Axivcore Tour Black 79-X
Callaway Epic 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85-X
Adams Red 20* w/ KBS Hybrid Shaft X
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW w/ KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno T7 50*, 55*, 60* w/ KBS C-Taper X (soft stepped once)
Ping Vault Bergen (Slate) 38"

#58 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

View Postdearth12, on 12 March 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Well like many of you have mentioned the setbacks are already starting for this unit. When I pre-ordered I was told it would ship on 3/21. Since we are getting close to that date I decided to "live chat" with a representative today to confirm the ship date and sure enough it's already been pushed back to an "estimated" 4/15 ship date!!!! Since I live in Ohio I went ahead and sold my old skycaddie believing that a unit coming in late March wouldn't cost me many (or any) rounds without a GPS. Now that it's pushed back I'm without a unit. I know it's only 3 and 1/2 weeks later, but that is just an "estimate" could be longer. Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm not sure I would have preordered knowing this and I'm sure I wouldn't have sold my other gps device.

You should have it by labor day weekend...

#59 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• 1,974 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

I believe Skycaddies are the best GPS you can buy but I have learned over the years that when it comes to ship dates from them, don't believe any date until they say they are shipping. Their marketing history is to be too optimistic saying when a product will be available for purchase.
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide

#60 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostTM_HOYER, on 13 March 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

I believe Skycaddies are the best GPS you can buy but I have learned over the years that when it comes to ship dates from them, don't believe any date until they say they are shipping. Their marketing history is to be too optimistic saying when a product will be available for purchase.

However, consider it a blessing in disguise. Hopefully they're working out a few of the kinks, and it'll be 100% bug free when it arrives! ;-) SkyGolf is notorious for shipping buggy devices. I don't expect this one to be any better, but a delay should mean a slightly less buggy experience. I hope.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors