Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Ben Hogan Apex 50

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Ben Hogan Apex 50 (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Your Opinion Count!

1. 5 (Best) (15 votes [65.22%])

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

2. 4 (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 2 (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

• Marshals
  • 4,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:30 PM

Mr. Hogan's gift was his ability to grasp the mechanics of the game of golf and translate that into precision jewel like equipment to maximize the performance of any player's game. For over the last 50 years, this gift has been the inspiration for the Ben Hogan brand's most recognizable Apex blade models. The Apex 50 continues that legacy. Designed for the game's elite, the Apex 50 blades provide unmatched control, performance, and feel.

Ben Hogan Apex 50.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dorfblee

dorfblee

Custom member title

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 628
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

Just picked up a set of Apex 50's 5-PW with NS Pro 1050's in R flex.

Looks- it's a fine set of irons. Easily one of the best looking I've ever seen.

Feel- on well struck shots, it's just as rewarding as Mizuno MP 33's. You feel the ball compress and that's it. No click. Soft and smooth. On slight mishit's you get excellent feedback- not harsh at all. They feel how they should without being punishing (a thin hit is thin, feels solidly stuck, not too sweet).

Distance- is fine. The lofts are similar to my 300's w/DGS300's and the distance is similar as well.

Trajectory- with the shaft that's in it- I expected my trajectory to be a little higher . . . it's not. It's about the same maybe a little lower even. I expected the shaft to be a little soft for my swing loading profile, early returns are fine.

Overall, the Apex 50's are sharp. I really like them. The feel is softer than the 300's and they give plenty of feedback without being mushy or too soft. The NS Pro 1050 shaft loads nicely too- I've been progessing towards being more of a smooth swinger than a quick hitter.

#3 shoe295

shoe295

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 609
  • Ebay ID:shoe295

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

These are the love of my life!  I've been playing these for 4 years now and absolutely enjoy everything about them.  The looks are marvelous, bringing to mind something manufactured with tender loving care.  I'm going to finish removing the paint fill this winter and they will look even sharper.  Feel wise it gets no better, when you flush one with these irons you don't even know you've hit a ball!  I have to say that when I miss I immediately know where I've hit the ball on the face and how badly I'm about to be punished.  If it's cold it hurts to thin the ball.  But that being said, if you miss a little the penalty is minor so I consider these a very forgiving blade.  I can do pretty much anything but hit a fade consistantly with these, but then I can't hit a fade to save my life or my virginity. :tongue:    I had Joe Kwok put Tour Concept shafts in these at the beginning of the year which only made these play better.  I keep thinking I should change irons just because I've played these for 4 whole years,  but in truth I'm not sure that there is anything better out there.

#4 FHal11

FHal11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21185

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

I've been playing these irons for a few years now, and I still can't seem to find anything better.  As much of the higher end manufacturers are coming out with forged blades, there are a lot of comparable models out there right now.  However, when struck well, there is no better feeling, (I've tried both titleist and mizuno) and on mis-hits, they are surprisingly forgiving, considering they are a muscleback blade.  Feedback is excellent, and I always know exactly where the contact was.  The only flaw I have found was the stock Apex shaft.  The shaft was not a poor shaft per se, but it launched the ball high and played quite soft (for its stated flex).  Upon having them reshafted with TTDG X100 shafts, I gained a lower ball flight, and a trmendous amount of control.  While there are newer irons ot there, these are classics and will stay in my bag for some time.

#5 golf80808

golf80808

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130759

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

Just bought a set.  These irons are beautiful.

#6 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Personally, I think the irons are unattractive. The muscleback is too busy-looking. The '98 Apex was the most classy looking of the recent Apex models and were relatively easy to hit (for a blade). I demoed a set of the '05 models and thought the feel was much harsher than the '98s. I still have my '98 Apexes as a backup.
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

#7 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Great set of irons - just bought a brand spanking new set at the time of this post for $205 (3-PW). Only hit them once at the range but can tell they're going to be a wonderful set regardless of the incredible buy. I've had numerous sets of irons (approx 25) and these rank up there with the best. I'll provide more info shortly after a couple rounds.

I got a few rounds under my belt and as I figured this clubs feel good. The shaft feels a little soft (apex 4) and I guess that's because it's a rifle shaft vice true temper which I grew up on. No complaints on the shaft though - no flight issues, same low/mid flight as true temper. Club forgiveness is good - misses aren't penalized too bad, maybe 5 yards. Great club & price.

Edited by bllefkay, 04 February 2009 - 02:49 AM.

Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#8 nairb49

nairb49

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65716
  • Ebay ID:nairb491

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Also just picked up a set at steep discount. Don't have anywhere to hit really, can't wait!

Interested to hear what you have to say as well!  Did yours come with a rifle shaft? Not sure I quite understand your post
I have the apex 4 stock shaft that came with it....

Edited by nairb49, 04 February 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#9 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 3,949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:20 AM

View Postnairb49, on Feb 4 2009, 03:14 PM, said:

Also just picked up a set at steep discount. Don't have anywhere to hit really, can't wait!

Interested to hear what you have to say as well! Did yours come with a rifle shaft? Not sure I quite understand your post
I have the apex 4 stock shaft that came with it....

I have the Apex 4 shaft which is made by Royal Precision (rifle shaft)
http://www.benhogan..../index.html#faq
Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#10 Airmick

Airmick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83629
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

Was in thrift shop looking for a table for my sons aquarium. In the corner I saw a box of assorted old clubs. Could not believe my luck. A set, 3 thru 9, Hogan Apex blades. Very good shape. Some rust in groves. Frogger took care of that. Almost new grips. My first set of blades since I was 14 in the late 70s. Took them to Tom Barbers range last night. Sweeet hot butter. Very accurate. The price!!!!. $1.98 each plus tax. I never get deals like this. I am a happy man. My son loves them too. He has a new set of B-5 offsets. Plan to play round this coming weekend. Cheers.

Cobra ZL 10.5 Blur
Burner 09 4 thru PW
Cleveland 52 56 58
Anser 2
Chrome Yellow

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 BHS Golf Kid

BHS Golf Kid

BHS Golf Kid

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62821
  • Ebay ID:greathockeyplayer

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Great feel, pretty small head for my liking though. Easily controlable.

#12 Five-Four

Five-Four

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129165

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

Super pretty. I play hogans and have 4 sets of BH right now. I am always changing back and forth. Wish they would make a true new blade set.

#13 wvularc11

wvularc11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77659
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

these were my favorite Hogan blades, only thing i liked more were my mizuno's.  both were superb quality and feel.

#14 Sean Cavanaugh

Sean Cavanaugh

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133836
  • Ebay ID:seancavanaugh1

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

These are some of the best looking hogan's out there. Beautiful clubs.

#15 westpenncyclist

westpenncyclist

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208955
  • Ebay ID:westpenncyclist

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

In the early 80's I came up on a used set of Hogan Apex blades-I can't remember the exact model. So when it came time to get my first new set, of course they would be Hogan Apexes. That set happened to be the Apex BH Grind. I also owned the Apex 99's. And when I first saw the 50s, I couldn't resist the impulse to buy them and I loved them immediately.

Now I found the BH Grinds easier to launch in the 3-6; and the 99s easier to control in the 7-E. But the 50's launched better than 99s in the 3-6, and were easier to control than the BH Grinds in the 7-E. So I found the blade-on-blade double muscle to provide a better design through the set.To me, the Apex 50 was the prototype for Mizzy's current 4-D muscle. The design was utterly brilliant. I just don't understand why it took 50 years to develop it.

As for feel, they're every bit a good as the  BH Grinds and the 99s, if not better.

Edited by westpenncyclist, 07 December 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#16 DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119418
  • Handicap:~8
  • Ebay ID:jeepsterdave
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

These are beautiful clubs that really perform.  I just picked up a set of 4-E for $40 at a pawn shop and reshafted them with DGSL S300 shafts.  I can't believe how good they feel and how surprisingly easy to hit they are.  I really put them together just because I wanted to own a nice set of blades, not necessarily to play them regularly.  But as an 8 handicap, with only serviceable ball striking, I am gaming them because they perform as good as they look.  Easy to work the ball and nearly as long as my Adams A4's and TM TP CB's, despite the weaker lofts.  I am especially surprised at how easily I can elevate the long irons.  I like the traditional lofts, because I don't need a gap wedge (48* PW, 54, 58), and I can actually hit the 4 iron.    Great clubs.
Adams Fast 12ls with Fubuki Alpha
Titleist 906f2 13 deg with GD YS-6+
Titleist 909h 17 and 21 w/YS-Hybrid
Adams Pro Black MB 4-PW w/C-tapers
Vokey SM4 54 (bent to 53) and 58
Scotty California Del Mar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors