Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 8 votes

Ask and you shall receive-The no turn cast drill

288 replies to this topic

#271 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5211

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

Saw this video yesterday (on GolfWRX), and tried it at the range today; specifically, I tried the cast at the top idea.
It works.
It works.
IT WORKS!!

I've been in a ball striking slump for at least 3 months now, and I know I was doing a lot of the faults Monte pointed out, including the takeaway too inside, and sliding the legs and hips forward.
Today, at the top, I imagined casting or throwing the club, and I saw immediate improvement. Over the course of about 30 minutes I worked on "casting" first, which helped slow down my lower body. I went from inconsistent striking and lots of hooks and pushes, to sweet, sweet strikes and being able to work the ball both ways (OK, the fade was a bit uncontrollable).

Amazing results. Thanks, Monte!

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"  or something a bit older....MP-4s, Mac Muirfield 20ths, Mac Muirfields, Mizuno MS-11s, MS-1s, RAM Tour Grinds, Tourstage 2005 CBs, Honma PP737s, Mac R-58s, Dunlop Maxfli TM-92 Australian Blades, Wilson FG-J8s (FG-17s)...uh, I've missed a few
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind  or whatever else I fancy for the day
In the 60* slot: Titlesit Vokey 260 60* OR MD2 T-Grind 58* bent to 60* OR Cally X-Jaws 58* bent to 60* with a special NCN grind. Or a Ping EYE2 BeCu L wedge.
Putter: Usually a Taylormade TPA XVIII

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#272 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1485

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

I just got this video. Thanks.
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
6-GW Titleist AP1s
53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
58 degree SW Vokey SM6
Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

#273 Weetbix

Weetbix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110149
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:14 AM

Incorporated the "No turn" backswing idea for our National championships for ISeekGolf here in Australia.  Six rounds in six days and didn't score less than 31 points, won rounds 2 and 3 and 2nd in the first round.

Best bit was how good I feel after 6 rounds- the change promotes much more generation of speed through the wrists where before I was relying more on rotation which worked my back and stabilizing muscles much harder.

#274 jimb6golf

jimb6golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135116
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

Nice drill to combat my recent tendency to overturn in my backswing.  The 'no turn' drill has helped to get control and stabilize my lower body during my backswing.  At first it feels like an arms only swing but eventually you get the feeling of setting the club and even turning better around a stabilized lower body.  Still a work in progress after messing up my swing over the past few months.  Now if only the 'cast' portion of the drill would take effect as well I'd be much better off.  I'll keep trying though.

#275 Stanks

Stanks

Real Straight Shooter with Upper Management written all over him

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:51 PM

Monte, this drill is gold. I have had a serious case of the thins, tops, and skulls lately in my irons. I don't know what the cause what but i am guessing my right wrist has been staying locked up or something else but, this definitely helped. I'm not cured by any means but, this is a step in the right direction. Thank you for the drill.

Ping LST 400 10* / Ping Tour 80G X
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 / C-Taper Lite S
Callaway MD3 46*
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 55*
Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*
Golf Pride Z-Cord Grips + 1 Wrap all around
2012 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (PutterSpa by J-Rich Finish)

#276 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1577

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

For me, it drastically reduced my sway. When I control the sway, I play well for me.

Edited by Cwing, 27 November 2018 - 08:20 PM.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G25 5-U
Cleveland RTX 54*
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
Seemore si5
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#277 Weetbix

Weetbix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:52 AM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 06 October 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostWeetbix, on 06 October 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

Hi Monte

Is the backswing part of this drill a legitimate approach to making your backswing when you actually play? The position it gets me in see s really good and I was thinking I should use it in play.

But then I wondered if there would be a down side to it?
Cheers
Brendan

Yes :-)

A follow up question Monte - what do you need to add to the drill to create a useable golf swing to play with?

The drill creates a backswing with good positions, and a solid impact position - what aspects of it mean that it is not useable in practice?

#278 pheenomz4774

pheenomz4774

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 331555
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Bumping a legendary thread with an update on my breakthrough working with this drill. For a couple of years I've tried to practice implementing the no turn cast drill into my swing with minimal positive/mediocre results. Today while doing some on course practice I FINALLY figured out the additional swing thought/feel that makes this drill so magically effective. Again this works for me. I was always able to set my wrists and get into a pretty good back swing position, but "casting" from the top is where things fell apart.

Today though, I had an additional swing 'feel' when doing the cast part of the drill. My 'feel' was to not move my left arm and try and keep it straight out at my shoulder when starting the downswing with my right wrist. Of course I wasn't doing that at all, what I really was doing was preventing my left wrist from also trying to assist in casting the club (this led to my arms dropping to fast too soon and then me trying to save slamming the club into the ground 10 inches behind the ball and chaos ensued from there). This one thing drastically improved my results on all shots, and it is worth sharing if it helps any of you.
Ping bag today?

#279 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 11313

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostWeetbix, on 08 November 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Hi Monte

Is the backswing part of this drill a legitimate approach to making your backswing when you actually play? The position it gets me in see s really good and I was thinking I should use it in play.

Cheers
Brendan

A follow up question Monte - what do you need to add to the drill to create a useable golf swing to play with?

The drill creates a backswing with good positions, and a solid impact position - what aspects of it mean that it is not useable in practice?

Nothing, just hit the ball.

#280 TheDeanAbides

TheDeanAbides

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 517114
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:41 AM

I disregarded this idea because it looks so whacky, but my pitching has recently become the weakest part of my game and has been preventing me from shooting in the 70s. Implementing Monte's pitching technique, which is, essentially, this in a smaller swing, transformed my short game overnight. Well, maybe there's something in this, I think...

I just added a little more juice to the backswing and hit full wedges with an effortless sense of timing. Mmm, maybe it'll work with other clubs after all... Works great up to about 6 iron (which is exactly what Monte suggests) and makes it MUCH easier to also incorporate Monte's left arm parallel swing thought to shorten a backswing that I've never been able to keep under control.

I'm glad that I looked outside of the pivot driven feelings box and found something that allows me to sync up my swing like nothing else ever has. Thanks Monte!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#281 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 1848

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

What I like best about this drill is it demonstrates how much your body will do unconsciously if you do the right things with the club consciously.

Steve

#282 Fireballer

Fireballer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 316169
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:17 PM

Theres alot to this drill. By not even trying to improve my shoulder turn, a better turn resulted in response to an earlier wrist set. By setting wrist earlier, it helped me feel a proper release by "forcing" me to try to uncock my wrists. The result?  Head back, arms forward. When I first started it, if felt like my swing was 99% wrist action.  Well guess what?  I needed more active wrists but never knew it since I was a "fire the hips" guy.

Edited by Fireballer, 08 December 2018 - 11:19 PM.

#283 Weetbix

Weetbix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:04 AM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 05 December 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostWeetbix, on 08 November 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Hi Monte

Cheers
Brendan

Nothing, just hit the ball.

Thanks

Working on this at the range and had an ah ha moment

I'd been directing my cast at the ball with very mixed results. Then I remembered something - if you are starting the cast right at transition then the cast is back behind you, not down. I'd really been struggling to square the face. All of a sudden it's much more consistent.

#284 jumboross

jumboross

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272627
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:48 AM

So I tried this in competition yesterday. A few balls on the range then straight in. Probably the most in control I’ve ever felt on the golf course. Hit a couple fat, but the change was immediately obvious and positive. And all of this in 20knot wind gusting 35. I’m sticking with it. I am the guy that lets his back swing run away with him etc as described by Monte in the video.
Ping G400/Ping Tour 65 Stiff 9'
Titleist 915F 3 wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15'
Titleist 913H hybrid 19'/716 T-MB 2 iron
Titleist 716 AP2 S300 AMT 4 - PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 M grind x 2, K grind x 1
Scotty Cameron Newport 36.5"

And a set of MP5s that just arrived from eBay.......

#285 cdfs

cdfs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508820
  • Handicap:28.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:13 AM

Using this for my swing for about 4 weeks now with absolutely beautiful results from LW to 6i and 7w (long, straight, most with a slight draw, very consistent), but horribly struggling with driver. With driver 8 out of 10 hits are a push slice, 1 giant hook and 1 maybe straight, but nearly same carry-distance as my 7w (ok, maybe 10-15 yrds further) . It seems for me quite obvious that I can't get the face squared fast enough and if I try by intent, it gets to fast (=hook). Was fiddling already with ball-position (from near middle to outside left foot), but with no real results. Any ideas? At the moment my driver is pretty useless. I could hit it before at least to some amount but with no real consistency (maybe 4 out of 10 quite straight and 300+ yrds, rest mostly wild hooks and occasionaly a slice).

#286 Weetbix

Weetbix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

View Postcdfs, on 10 December 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

Using this for my swing for about 4 weeks now with absolutely beautiful results from LW to 6i and 7w (long, straight, most with a slight draw, very consistent), but horribly struggling with driver. With driver 8 out of 10 hits are a push slice, 1 giant hook and 1 maybe straight, but nearly same carry-distance as my 7w (ok, maybe 10-15 yrds further) . It seems for me quite obvious that I can't get the face squared fast enough and if I try by intent, it gets to fast (=hook). Was fiddling already with ball-position (from near middle to outside left foot), but with no real results. Any ideas? At the moment my driver is pretty useless. I could hit it before at least to some amount but with no real consistency (maybe 4 out of 10 quite straight and 300+ yrds, rest mostly wild hooks and occasionaly a slice).

Here is what Monte said on page 2

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 28 October 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

This is more of an iron feel as I said in the video.  Let is bleed into driver with reps, versus active implementation.

#287 Weetbix

Weetbix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:09 AM

Took yesterday's learning to the course today. Was wayward early starting with hooks then a few pushes and hooks mixed together.  After 6 holes got my setup matching better and started hitting fairways and greens and played the next 9 holes to par with 1 birdie and 1 bogie.

Hopefully a sign of things go come and not a flash in the pan.

#288 cdfs

cdfs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508820
  • Handicap:28.5
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

View PostWeetbix, on 10 December 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

This is more of an iron feel as I said in the video.  Let is bleed into driver with reps, versus active implementation.
Missed that, thanks.Anyhow, any tips/drills like this for driver?

#289 Weetbix

Weetbix

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

View Postcdfs, on 11 December 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

View PostWeetbix, on 10 December 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

Missed that, thanks.Anyhow, any tips/drills like this for driver?

My guess is work the drill with irons and wedges and then just swing the driver relying on the body learning from the drill - based on the quoted post from Monte

With driver yesterday I was still doing the same swing which is the drill. But I will say thatvwheb I'm swinging that way I'm really just focussed on swinging the clubhead back with wrist action and then transitioning with a feel as if I was casting a fishing rod back down the line. That's how I've translated the drill into a swing feel/thought.

Early days though so we will see if it holds up long term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors