Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titlest AP1 714 or TM SpeedBlade?

34 replies to this topic

#1 stuart374

stuart374

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63603
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Has anyone had a chance yet to compare these two? I tried an AP1 6 iron today, and it was great. High, far and mishits went very well. Haven't had a chance yet to try the SpeedBlades. I have been using Ping i20s, but could use irons that are more forgiving, especially since I often don't have much time to practice. On the other hand, I don't want a game improvement club that is too clunky.
Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 lowdraw16

lowdraw16

Epic Mustache......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266412
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'd say the ap1's would better looking at address. The speedbladez aren't bad, but for the money, aren't worth it.

#3 TMelectric

TMelectric

Captain Admiral

• 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209313
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I hit both recently and could tell a big difference in feel and sound.  The SpeedBlades were harder and louder. Plus, I just hit the Ap1's better
Titleist 913d3./ MP 650
TBZ stage 2 tour 3 and 5 wood
Ping S55 w Modus Tour 120
Grenade putter
Ping Anser 50*,54*,60*
www.gamegolf.com/player/Tmelectric

#4 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1093

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I hit both but preferred the feel of the AP1's.
Callaway BBV Kiyoshi
Callaway X2H Pro ATX
Callaway UT
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
Titliest Vokey SM5 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron Newport

#5 Golf64

Golf64

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

G25s or Mizuno EZ forged as other options?

913D2 9.5*
913F 15*
Spot open
714 AP2 5-PW DGS300
SM5 54, 58* M Grind
SC Golo5 34''

#6 TMelectric

TMelectric

Captain Admiral

• 716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

I tried the G25 and EZ forged as well. I am a Ping guy with sets of G20, I20's, and Ansers. I really was disappointed in the G25.  I wanted to like them to justify buying them but not only did they feel harsh, I couldn't hit them well.

The EZ felt good but just no wow factor for me to buy.  I hit my Anser's great on good days, poor on bad. I am looking for something that is great on good days, good on bad ones.  Just like all of us on this site, I blame my Anser's. Lol

I checked my ego after hitting the Ap2's and tried the Ap1's. I got the wow factor with the Ap1's.

To be fair, my swing was fast for the most part.  When I settled down to my normal tempo, that is when I started hitting the Ap1's. I could not miss with them.  I did try the others for a hit or two but did not see better results.

I shoot normally 3-6 over on nine holes. When I play eighteen is when things get tricky. I can be 3 over through 9,then shoot 12 over on the back 9. Or vice versa. I had the Ap2's on my radar. I recently was 1 over thru 9 with 2 missed putts within three feet of the hole so I know I have some game. My pride went for the Ap2's. After hitting the Ap1's now, I will be the first in line for them. To heck with ego.
Titleist 913d3./ MP 650
Grenade putter
Ping Anser 50*,54*,60*

#7 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77946
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostTMelectric, on 20 October 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I tried the G25 and EZ forged as well. I am a Ping guy with sets of G20, I20's, and Ansers. I really was disappointed in the G25.  I wanted to like them to justify buying them but not only did they feel harsh, I couldn't hit them well.

The EZ felt good but just no wow factor for me to buy.  I hit my Anser's great on good days, poor on bad. I am looking for something that is great on good days, good on bad ones.  Just like all of us on this site, I blame my Anser's. Lol

I checked my ego after hitting the Ap2's and tried the Ap1's. I got the wow factor with the Ap1's.

To be fair, my swing was fast for the most part.  When I settled down to my normal tempo, that is when I started hitting the Ap1's. I could not miss with them.  I did try the others for a hit or two but did not see better results.

I shoot normally 3-6 over on nine holes. When I play eighteen is when things get tricky. I can be 3 over through 9,then shoot 12 over on the back 9. Or vice versa. I had the Ap2's on my radar. I recently was 1 over thru 9 with 2 missed putts within three feet of the hole so I know I have some game. My pride went for the Ap2's. After hitting the Ap1's now, I will be the first in line for them. To heck with ego.

great report what shaft are you considering

#8 drew4008

drew4008

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121206
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

There's a ton of tech in the Speedbladez, even in those stock flighted shafts.  8i up they'll play fairly similar, but the Speedbladez will really shine in those low irons.. they get the ball up much, much better.  TM's should be at least 5 yards longer as well.  And just check my posts, I'm pretty close to a TM hater haha.. but the Speedbladez are getting a lot of positive press for a reason.  Really nice sticks.

What makes the AP1's any different this year?  Titleist really needs to work on their R&D.  Companies like TM and Cleveland, even Callaway, are impressing with their new tech improvements.  Titleist... not so much, same old every iteration.  I mean, I like Titleist and their brand in general but.. as far as GI clubs, they're not even close to being able to compete.

#9 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

View Postdrew4008, on 20 October 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

There's a ton of tech in the Speedbladez, even in those stock flighted shafts.  8i up they'll play fairly similar, but the Speedbladez will really shine in those low irons.. they get the ball up much, much better.  TM's should be at least 5 yards longer as well.  And just check my posts, I'm pretty close to a TM hater haha.. but the Speedbladez are getting a lot of positive press for a reason.  Really nice sticks.

What makes the AP1's any different this year?  Titleist really needs to work on their R&D.  Companies like TM and Cleveland, even Callaway, are impressing with their new tech improvements.  Titleist... not so much, same old every iteration.  I mean, I like Titleist and their brand in general but.. as far as GI clubs, they're not even close to being able to compete.

Well, if you like high tech in your irons, then perhaps you're right.

But there is no high tech in blades, and lots of really good players seem to play them.

Personally I think the "tech" in the AP1's is just about right.  After all, they're irons, and you get a bunch of them to hit different distances.  What you really want in an iron is the right amount of offset for your game to be able to hit them straight.  For the best players, very little offset is preferred.  But I prefer the offset in the AP1's, and the ease of getting a good shot out of them.  And I can count on getting approximately the correct distance out of them time after time, given a good swing.

If you want to to think that you can kill your 7-iron for distance to satisfy your ego that you can almost hit it as long as a tour pro, maybe high tech works.  For me, hitting the ball the same distance with an iron time after time is more important.

My take on the AP1's is that you can pick up a set and play it for many years, because a fine set of irons doesn't go out of fashion.
Ping G25 driver and fairways
Titleist AP1 irons

#10 TMelectric

TMelectric

Captain Admiral

• 716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I will go with the XP dynolite S300 in stiff flex. I believe it is around 115 grams Heavy enough to help my tempo but not too heavy like the S300 are.  For me anyways.

I tried them with the KBS tour and one that I believe was X95(?)

Edited by TMelectric, 20 October 2013 - 11:27 AM.

Titleist 913d3./ MP 650
Grenade putter
Ping Anser 50*,54*,60*

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 stuart374

stuart374

• 189 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thank you. Very helpful.

#12 TCZ

TCZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273973
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

From a looks perspective the AP1s look way chunkier than the Speedbladez.
Driver:  Ping G25
3 & 5 Woods:  Ping G25
Hybrid (22): RBZ Stage 2
Irons (5-A):  Callaway Apex Pro
Wedges (56/60): Vokey SM5
Putter:Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey

#13 cxissi

cxissi

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Postdrew4008, on 20 October 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

If you want to stay with TM go Rocketbladez and save your money on the Speedblades ,  Basically Rbladez with a new paint.

I much prefer the Ap1 over the Rbladez or Speedblades , feel sound , looks , sole , better on the AP1. The TM's are longer I will give you , can't take the look or sound of them.
gb
PING G30 9.5 sft tec
PING G30 3 wood
Cobra Baffler 3 & 4 Hybrids
Taylormade Speedblade 5-AW,SW
TM Rac TP LW
TM 770 38" Putter

#14 drew4008

drew4008

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121206
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postcxissi, on 21 October 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

If you want to stay with TM go Rocketbladez and save your money on the Speedblades ,  Basically Rbladez with a new paint.

This is not a very well-informed post.  They're quite different.  Every OEM's iron "upgrade" from one to the next is going to be similar (within the same line, ie. GI, SGI, players, etc.), but I'm pretty confident in saying a lot more changes have been made in this upgrade than most OEMs make each cycle.  Especially compared to say Ping.. the G15's, G20's, G25's are more or less identical.. and that's over what, 5 years?

Edited by drew4008, 21 October 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#15 Steelhead

Steelhead

Advanced

• 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3852
  • Handicap:10.1
  • Ebay ID:Runwild
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postdrew4008, on 21 October 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

This is not a very well-informed post.  They're quite different.  Every OEM's iron "upgrade" from one to the next is going to be similar (within the same line, ie. GI, SGI, players, etc.), but I'm pretty confident in saying a lot more changes have been made in this upgrade than most OEMs make each cycle.  Especially compared to say Ping.. the G15's, G20's, G25's are more or less identical.. and that's over what, 5 years?

I so agree!!! Not even close to being a repainted rbz.  SB are the best SGI in a GI package yet. Forgiving, long and soft. Gotta sign off for a few months. Launch monitor, indoor reviews off of mats are useless...ciao!

#16 Steelhead

Steelhead

Advanced

• 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3852
  • Handicap:10.1
  • Ebay ID:Runwild
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I so agree!!! Not even close to being a repainted rbz.  SB are the best SGI in a GI package yet. Forgiving, long and soft. Gotta sign off for a few months. Launch monitor, indoor reviews off of mats are useless...ciao!

#17 cxissi

cxissi

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Your post is based on your opinion which I might say is uniformed . Well I have hit both Sblades and Rbladez in my opinion there is no improvement on performance... cosmetic changes only .
gb
PING G30 9.5 sft tec
PING G30 3 wood
Cobra Baffler 3 & 4 Hybrids
Taylormade Speedblade 5-AW,SW
TM Rac TP LW
TM 770 38" Putter

#18 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

Love where you're at, Drive to where you want to be!

• 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191214
  • Ebay ID:winter4752
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

View Postlowdraw16, on 19 October 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

I'd say the ap1's would better looking at address. The speedbladez aren't bad, but for the money, aren't worth it.
Everytime I read your responses I have Ron Burgundy's voice in my head
10* G25 Driver, Tour AD BB 6s
16* Pro, 20* Mini, Tour Red / Green
24* Dhy Pro, Tour Blue
5 - PW MP59, KBS tour
50*, 54*, 58* Scor, KBS Genius 12
37" Counterbalanced Scottsdale

#19 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

Love where you're at, Drive to where you want to be!

• 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191214
  • Ebay ID:winter4752
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

I see that you didn't like the feel of the G25. Just as a heads up, Ping has an insert in the shafts just under the grip that can be order as a custom option to improve feel. It takes all of the harshness away. It's a rubber insert with a couple of balls inside of them to dampen the harshness, but allow you to feel the proper feed back. I had them in my S56's and they felt like a forged club. Only draw back or potenial draw back is that it adds 10 grams to the total weight of the club, although the weight would be at the balance point of the club so I don't know if you'd even notice.

Edited by fairwaysroverated, 22 October 2013 - 06:51 AM.

10* G25 Driver, Tour AD BB 6s
16* Pro, 20* Mini, Tour Red / Green
24* Dhy Pro, Tour Blue
5 - PW MP59, KBS tour
50*, 54*, 58* Scor, KBS Genius 12
37" Counterbalanced Scottsdale

#20 viperstudio

viperstudio

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22684
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Cant go wrong either one, I hit both and demo both the SB is longer for me, but i donyt like the blue color. i wish it was red or some other color.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Haven't tried ap1 714, but have tried the 712.  I wouldn't call the ap1 more forgiving than the i20.
Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*, Ping G20 23*
Ping i20 5-W
Cleveland RTX 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3

#22 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4150

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

You have to hit them both to determine the answer to this question. No one can tell you which one would be better for you.

#23 erikro

erikro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99545
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Seems like you already have the full spectrum covered with G20, I20, and Anser.  Are you just looking for something new?

#24 MJisGOAT

MJisGOAT

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264420
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

I'm thinking the new apex forged from cally may be a tough option to beat. I know it's priced along with the ap2, but that with a v2 just may be money.
sit speeder
precious speeder
hb3 speeder
1957 spb
54/60 spb

#25 bstring

bstring

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32553
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postbrew4eagle, on 25 October 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Haven't tried ap1 714, but have tried the 712.  I wouldn't call the ap1 more forgiving than the i20.

The Maltby numbers are quite high on the AP1s. They're marketed as the most forgiving irons Titleist makes.
The i20s are more in the "players" category for Ping. Many people have said the AP1s are close to the G25 in forgiveness. I've hit the AP1s and tend to agree. Not as forgiving, but somewhat close.

I'm not arguing here but I am wondering what I'm missing? When first looking for irons I hit the i20s. They were much closer to my i3+ irons than the G25s for forgiveness.

Edited by bstring, 25 October 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#26 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

View Postbstring, on 25 October 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

View Postbrew4eagle, on 25 October 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

The Maltby numbers are quite high on the AP1s. They're marketed as the most forgiving irons Titleist makes.
The i20s are more in the "players" category for Ping. Many people have said the AP1s are close to the G25 in forgiveness. I've hit the AP1s and tend to agree. Not as forgiving, but somewhat close.

I'm not arguing here but I am wondering what I'm missing? When first looking for irons I hit the i20s. They were much closer to my i3+ irons than the G25s for forgiveness.
I recently bought new irons- came down to i20 vs ap1 vs g25.  I found i20 to be pretty similar to ap1 performance wise.  i20 won out for forgiveness reasons for me.  I realize others will disagree, but that's why you have to try everything yourself.
Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*, Ping G20 23*
Ping i20 5-W
Cleveland RTX 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3

#27 JGalls

JGalls

Major Winner

• 2,570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2519
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Saw the AP1 6 iron today.  Loved the look to be honest and felt pretty darn good in the couple of strikes I made with it.

AP2 looks to be improved as well.

Ever since moving to my epon 502's I've started to appreciate some forgiveness due to lack of practice, despite being a 3 handicap.  The AP1's will be on the radar as well as the Callaway Apex but they will have to be darn good to boot the 502's.
Ping G30 8.5 (dig loft) Tour 65
Ping G30 Tour or Callaway BB Pro 16*
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 20*, X Utility 24*
Callaway Apex Pro 5-P, KBSTourV
Callaway MD2 50s, 54s, 60u
Odyssey Tour Black Series i Long Neck #1

#28 stuart374

stuart374

• 189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

So, I tried both the AP1 and the SpeedBlade on the range yesterday with my pro, who fitted me.  Hit a bunch of balls with both, as well as my current i20s. Distance-wise, both were great. However, my dispersion, consistency and flight angle were better with the AP1s. The SBs just went a bit too high for me and sprayed a bit. I only tried the stock steel shafts with both, but the stock shafts in the AP1s worked great for my swing. The shafts in the SBs seemed a bit too light (not that I couldn't get used to them over time). It was close, but I went ahead and ordered the AP1s (2 degs upright). I really feel that forgiveness-wise, they fall somewhere between the Ping i20s that I played this summer and the G25s which are somewhat too GI for me. The i20s are surprisingly forgiving for a "player's" club, but the AP1s gave me more room for error and more distance on off center shots. The difference is not as noticeable in the short irons, but the AP1 long irons really were easier for me to hit than the i20s. I am really trying to get rid of those 3 or 4 bad shots a round which cost me 6 to 8 strokes (e.g., 89 vs 83).  I also like the idea that Titlest is not going to come out with a new version of the AP1s for another 2 years, as opposed to 6 months for the SBs. It will give me time to get used to the new clubs before I get tempted to buy new ones again. Bottom line, though, is try them both out for yourself with someone knowledgable who can fit you, and see what works for you.
PS: Launch monitors are great, but I really don't think there is any substitute for hitting balls off the turf on the range and seeing the actual ball flight.

#29 maddchase

maddchase

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113920

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

Have not seen or hit the AP1 in person, looking forward to it. But have hit the g25 and EZ forged extensively, I almost got the EZ forged, I liked them a lot and they just flew for me and very forgiving. I was also not impressed with g25 either. As far as the Speedblade, I could take it or leave it, nothing bad to say about them, but not wowed either. So I'd say AP1 if you're already having a great response with the AP1.
Mizuno JPX 825 10.5
Mizuno F60 4W , 7W
Bridgestone J40 4H
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5-PW
Vokey 50 , 54 , 58
Odyssey ProType #5 - for now

#30 sidarapr

sidarapr

The Rookie

• 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220731
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:sidarapr
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

The Speedblade is aboslutely leaner than the Ap1 714. The Ap1 714 is slightly more accurate, not quite as long (no big deal for me), and a bit less forgiving. That said I do not like the Speedblade stock shaft as it is too light. I "currently" have the Rocketbladez with PX 95's which for me is a perfect combination and would likley go with a similar weight shaft if I were to buy the Speedblade. Absolutely love the feel of the i20's but they are not for me and expect my new set to either be the JPX EZ Forged or TM Rocketbladz Tour (or replacement if coming out soon). The JPX EZ Forged is an amazing club and fits between GI and Players Irons, better feel and sound for me than the Bladez Tour but...the Bladez Tour are nothing short of fantastic on the course which is where it counts. The Bladez Tour are fantastic all the way through the line (4 - AW). I describe the EZ Forged as mix between the MP line feel, solidness of the AP1, ease of hitting the Bladez Tour, and fun to hit like the "regular" Rocketbladez. I need to hit the full EZ Forged set before deciding based on only the 6i. TM is going to have tough one in convincing me to move to the Bladez Tour or its replacement if the rest of the EZ Forged set is as good as the 6i.

Ping i25 9.5 PWR 75 Stiff
Ping Rapture 13 3W & G25 3W TFC 189F
Ping G25 20 Hybrid TFC 189H Stiff
Callaway Apex 5 - AW KBS Tour-V Stiff
Ping Tour Gorge 54WS and Nike VR 60TS
Ping Scottsdale TR Senita B

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors