Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Speedbladez vs Rocketbladez vs G25 vs JPX-EZ

Ping seems outdated

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3658
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

I'm very impressed with the new JPX-EZs. Just a great feeling forgiving club. A friend suggested today that I should go back to the store and try the new Speedbladez. They were decent, but the Rccketbladez seemed to have better feel and actually were more forgiving than the Speedbladez.. The rocketbladez just had that it factor, however, the JPX-EZs are easily the winner. As long as the Rocketbladez but more forgiving. The G25s by comparison, seemed outdated. The Rocketbladez is a very high tech, explosive club. The EZ seems more like a better Ping.; better in every way. The G25s seemed old tech. I'm saying that after being a Ping guy for years. The new hot faced irons seemed to have passed ping by. The Speedbladez seemed like something that TMAG just put out as this years model. The EZs are in the bag.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138660
  • Ebay ID:Rebel420
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

TI personally had better luck with the SpeedBlade over the Rocketbladez.  Not saying one is good or bad, just some subtle differences.   The SpeedBlade has less offset, so if offset is something that you need, the Rocketbladez could very well be more forgiving. For me, the slightly smaller, more compact appearance and less offset gave me better results.  If someone had the Rocketbladez and was happy, it would be hard to justify the SpeedBlade.  
The G25, to me is typical Ping.  Not that it is a bad thing, but I tend to agree that their GI tech is very old school. I didn't see much difference in the G25 over the Eye2 knock-offs I had in the early 90s.  The JPX  EZ was better than the Ping for me, and about equal to the Rocketbladez.   If my choices were the Rocketbladez or the EZ, it would basically be a toss up.. The lower cost of the Rocketbladez could have me leaning that way, but the smoke color of the EZ did appeal to my eye a touch more.

Order of Preference:
1. SpeedBlade - looks, feel, performance, and instantly felt like I have gamed these for years
2. EZ - close performance to SpeedBlade, great feel, smoke color looks great,, a little too chunky , and couldn't get immediately comfortable, but know I could over time
3. RocketBladez - identical to EZ, preferred color and sound of EZ over these, but costing 40% less, it would be hard to justify the better color and sound of The EZ
4. G25 - Ping makes a classic iron, and it performs well, but the others looked, felt, and performed a bit better for me.  Hard to be comfortable with.  Fit and finish felt old school ping to me.  But for someone who has used ping before, and and was used to them (and the wider soles), I can see how these would immediately be like an old friend to them

All in all, I think all 4 are great irons, and all will give similar distance and forgiveness, and feel.  Differences are very subtle.  I would also bet, being properly fit for all of them would narrow those gaps even more. Really comes down to what looks, and works the best for you.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of those irons.

Edit: note, I'm not saying the Pings are poor quality, just compared them to a set of Japanese made knock-offs I had, which I couldn't afford the real deal back then, and a buddy who had real Eye2's said hitting them both, he could not tell them apart..

Edited by Rebel420, 04 October 2013 - 02:22 AM.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#3 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

mbradley, on 04 October 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

I'm very impressed with the new JPX-EZs. Just a great feeling forgiving club. A friend suggested today that I should go back to the store and try the new Speedbladez. They were decent, but the Rccketbladez seemed to have better feel and actually were more forgiving than the Speedbladez.. The rocketbladez just had that it factor, however, the JPX-EZs are easily the winner. As long as the Rocketbladez but more forgiving. The G25s by comparison, seemed outdated. The Rocketbladez is a very high tech, explosive club. The EZ seems more like a better Ping.; better in every way. The G25s seemed old tech. I'm saying that after being a Ping guy for years. The new hot faced irons seemed to have passed ping by. The Speedbladez seemed like something that TMAG just put out as this years model. The EZs are in the bag.
Btw: for all the TM bashes that say a person can't say anything against a TaylorMade club without the person being shot down as a "hater"... Read this review.  User gave his opinion on all 4 clubs, but didn't bash any of them.
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#4 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• 2,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:56 AM

Rebel, it looks like I am going to try the Speedblades this weekend.  Hopefully they are more like the R11 irons that I still have and occasionally put into play.  I did not like both versions of the Rocketbladez.
TM SLDR 10.5* Driver Matrix XCon 5
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* Wood Fubuki AX
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid Fubuki AX
TM SLDR Irons 4 to AW, KBS C-Taper 90
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
TM xFT Wedges, 56* and 60*

#5 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

I did like my R11 irons... As I mentioned before, the Speedblades remind me of a cross between the R11 and Burner 2.0.    The looks do favor the burner (darker, satin look vs. the polished chrome of the R11), but seem more compact like the R11, and although the R11 and burner had the same swing weight, the R11 always felt less head heavy than the burner.  These are the same way, they lean toward that , more balanced, lighter weight feel like the R11, where the Rocketbladez felt more like the burners to me
Btw,try the Nippon 950 shaft with the SpeedBlade if you can.  Just seemed to really bring out the best of the iron...made the already soft feel a bit softer, took a slight bit of the height away (still very high launching), and made the flight more penetrating, and the ball still lands soft.  I remember hitting one with the fitting head/nippon r flex (my MBs had KBS Tour S, and I have about a 100mph driver speed, so you realize, the nippon r is a bit softer than you would expect me to use), and I hit it on the thin side (not a full out bladed shot...maybe 1 line thin...yes, you can hear, feel that...good feedback), and that shot still flew 165yds, landed on a hard packed section of the range (hard dirt mound, no grass in this spot), and the ball took one small hop and stopped maybe 2-3ft from where it landed.   Lost maybe 5 yds over a good clean strike.   Shaft also held up well to me trying to go after it a bit, where a good strike  got me about 185yds...can you tell I liked these irons :)

Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#6 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Rebel420, on 04 October 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

TI personally had better luck with the SpeedBlade over the Rocketbladez.  Not saying one is good or bad, just some subtle differences.   The SpeedBlade has less offset, so if offset is something that you need, the Rocketbladez could very well be more forgiving. For me, the slightly smaller, more compact appearance and less offset gave me better results.  If someone had the Rocketbladez and was happy, it would be hard to justify the SpeedBlade.  
The G25, to me is typical Ping.  Not that it is a bad thing, but I tend to agree that their GI tech is very old school. I didn't see much difference in the G25 over the Eye2 knock-offs I had in the early 90s.  The JPX  EZ was better than the Ping for me, and about equal to the Rocketbladez.   If my choices were the Rocketbladez or the EZ, it would basically be a toss up.. The lower cost of the Rocketbladez could have me leaning that way, but the smoke color of the EZ did appeal to my eye a touch more.

Order of Preference:
1. SpeedBlade - looks, feel, performance, and instantly felt like I have gamed these for years
2. EZ - close performance to SpeedBlade, great feel, smoke color looks great,, a little too chunky , and couldn't get immediately comfortable, but know I could over time
3. RocketBladez - identical to EZ, preferred color and sound of EZ over these, but costing 40% less, it would be hard to justify the better color and sound of The EZ
4. G25 - Ping makes a classic iron, and it performs well, but the others looked, felt, and performed a bit better for me.  Hard to be comfortable with.  Fit and finish felt old school ping to me.  But for someone who has used ping before, and and was used to them (and the wider soles), I can see how these would immediately be like an old friend to them

All in all, I think all 4 are great irons, and all will give similar distance and forgiveness, and feel.  Differences are very subtle.  I would also bet, being properly fit for all of them would narrow those gaps even more. Really comes down to what looks, and works the best for you.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of those irons.

Edit: note, I'm not saying the Pings are poor quality, just compared them to a set of Japanese made knock-offs I had, which I couldn't afford the real deal back then, and a buddy who had real Eye2's said hitting them both, he could not tell them apart..
I’ll give the Speedblade another try before I purchase the EZs. The EZ and the Rocketbladez were very close in performance, however, they  seemingly got there  with very different approaches. We really agree on Ping. A great company  that makes great golf clubs, however, the latest technology does make them appear somewhat dated. Of course, Ping will fix that. In terms of quality. I put Ping fairly high on the list. Mizuno is a company that I am much less familiar with, but the quality of the EZs was unquestionable; very good graphite shafts.

Edited by mbradley, 04 October 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#7 hankmoody

hankmoody

Love Boat Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275573
  • Handicap:14.9
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

Interesting.  I'm looking at the EZs vs the G25s myself right now.  I currently play G15s steel regular shafts.  I was thinking of getting graphite shafts to mix things up (SS with a 6 iron is appx 70-75).  Been a Ping guy most of my golfing life, and love, love love the G25 driver and 3W.
Callaway X2 Hot 10.5 w/Tour Blue  G25 3W
Callaway X2 Hot 4 & 5 hybrids
Mizuno JPX EZ 5-PW
Mizuno MP T4 50 & 54/Volkey SM4 58
SC Del Mar/Odyssey Metal X 9
B-330 RSX

#8 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

hankmoody, on 04 October 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Interesting.  I'm looking at the EZs vs the G25s myself right now.  I currently play G15s steel regular shafts.  I was thinking of getting graphite shafts to mix things up (SS with a 6 iron is appx 70-75).  Been a Ping guy most of my golfing life, and love, love love the G25 driver and 3W.
I would say that if you have been a Ping guy for a long time, you will probably love the G25.  One thing about Ping, is that I have never heard a bad thing about their customer service.  And I have never heard a bad thing about their quality.  And at one time, they were the technology leader... Look how many companies have made
"Perimeter Weighted Irons" or "Anser style putters" since Ping introduced them decades ago.  They have been making improvements over the years, but doing so at a much slower pace than the other companies.  I believe shaft technology has given them the most improvement.  One one hand, if you have something  good, that works for so many people, do you vary from it drastically and risk losing your current fan base? Or do you keep doing business as usual at the risk of being left behind?
At the end, maybe they are doing it right, as all things in golf eventually come full circle.  I do know as a company, you can't beat their quality and service.
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#9 hankmoody

hankmoody

Love Boat Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Rebel--I know what you mean.  My current G15s are almost stupid good (147 yard par 3 earlier this week, blade it thin--ball travels to front fringe 20 feet from pin, make chip for the bird).  My problem is I like to buy and try new stuff, so the Mizuno's are the new thing on the block.
Mizuno JPX EZ 5-PW
B-330 RSX

#10 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

mbradley, on 04 October 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Rebel420, on 04 October 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Order of Preference:

Iíll give the Speedblade another try before I purchase the EZs. The EZ and the Rocketbladez were very close in performance, however, they  seemingly got there  with very different approaches. We really agree on Ping. A great company  that makes great golf clubs, however, the latest technology does make them appear somewhat dated. Of course, Ping will fix that. In terms of quality. I put Ping fairly high on the list. Mizuno is a company that I am much less familiar with, but the quality of the EZs was unquestionable; very good graphite shafts.

I personally would try them all again (unless one or more of them were clearly not a contender).   I like to think and approach an iron purchase with the "I want something that I plan on keeping for at least 3-5 years". Tech doesn't change that much from year to year, and if there are any big game changers, those only hit every few years, and everything in between are incremental. I know this goes against the GolfWRX club-ho mentality, but keeping a set of irons and becoming more confident/consistent gives more gain than the yearly incremental "improvements" designs bring.  Also keeps a person more immune to being PO'd that an OEM is now pushing something new only a few days/weeks/months after you just bought what you did.   At the end of the day, most OEM (even TaylorMade), are going to release a new game improvement iron every year, and players iron every 2-3 years.  It's how business is run  so try everything you can (I know you had these 4 mentioned, but check out the Cobra Amp series, Callaway XHot series and Adams offerings as well..,just may find something that suits you better than the 4 you originally looked at! There is not a bad club made by any major OEM today... Some just fit you better than others).  Most importantly, with whatever you choose, get a good,proper fitting. Will make the best irons even better for you

Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

LOFT UP+ 17/1700

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12966
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

From another Forum.........someone else had this to say about the SpeedBlades vs. the JPX EZ.............

"I really like these(SpeedBlades). They are a consistent and, at least, half club longer than the JPX EZ I compared them to. The feel and sound was awesome. With all the numerous comments of the ill sounding Rocketbladez, which I agree with, these are definitely a refreshing change. Comparitively between the two irons, the Speedblade has a thicker top, sole and stronger lofts. Though, the launch between the two irons were very similar with the Speedblade edging out the JPX with higher ball speeds. I don't have spin numbers from my demoing.

The reason I chose the JPX EZ to compare with is the stock shaft. The Speedblade come stock with a 85g steel shaft, while the JPX EZ come stock with the TT S300 at closer to 120-130g. The shot dispersion showed that I was much more successful hitting tight shots with the JPX. The scatter shots I hit with the Speedblade definitely showed that I still struggle with the ultra lightweight trend we're seeing and I found it challenging to keep my clubhead from opening at impact. In the end it just came down to tempo and this may be something that will take time to get used to. Anyone else having these adjustment or growing pains?"
TM JDM TP 10*430 SLDR, AD-DI 6x Black LE
TM Stage 2 13 TS, 16.5*, AD-DI 7x
TM `14 TP CB 3-5, Recoil Proto 95 X
TM `14 TP MC 6-8, Recoil Proto 95-110 X
TM `14 TP MB 9,P, Recoil Proto 110 X
Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58 Custom Birdie Bob

#12 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Good review, although, the weight of stock shafts shouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately it is.  There is everything from ultralight 65g graphite through 130gram steel "tour" shafts available.  

I will say, for me, I know that in most irons, 85g shafts are my lower limit before I start getting too wild and inconsistent.   And find above 105g, I can tend to have issues due to the extra energy needed to change state of the shafts (one exception is the KBS tour, as to me, the 120g shaft FEELS a bit lighter.   My best tempo has been with the 95g KBS 90, or Nippon 950. But everybody is different.

I would like to see the specs on the thickness of top line and sole of both the Mizuno and the SpeedBlade and Rocketbladez while at it.   To my eye, the SpeedBlade looked the thinnest, followed by the Mizuno and them the Rocketbladez seemed the thickest.  But I also know that the SpeedBlade has the dark/light finish contrast on the top line which can be an illusion.
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#13 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

hankmoody, on 04 October 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I play the Ping G25 driver also; best driver available for me. I love their fairways, but I find offerings from other manufacturers  to be hotter off the face.  As far as irons, I have owned the G2,  G5. G15 , G20 irons. All with graphite stiff.  Pings graphite has gotten somewhat better over time. They now play close to the torque of steel, but their shafts are harsh in feeling. I wanted to try the EZs with Project X Graphite, which was a no charge option, but the Fuji Orochi shaft was so to my liking that I never bothered to try them.

That shaft plays to flex and feels really good. I don’t want to get into a discussion about quality of resin used and things of that nature, but the  Fuji  Orochi felt and  performed like a premium shaft. The Ping shaft  does not have that feel or comparable  pop!

In regard to general comparison to the  latest G series irons, the  EZ has definite similarities. The sole on the EZ is  certainly wider than the G25, but it is beveled so there is no issue with turf intereaction. The EZ is in  the X HOT-Rocketbladez hot faced category of distance irons. The face has lots of spring but is consistent; much, much hotter than the G25s and noticeably more forgiving.  Pings always felt harsh and while they have improved over the years, they still feel harsh. The EZ is like butter. I would not want to accuse Mizuno of copying the G series and improving it in every way, but that would be an adequate description. I love Ping products, but to me, the Ping G20 and G25 are far behind the JPX-EZ in performance.

Edited by mbradley, 04 October 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#14 hankmoody

hankmoody

Love Boat Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

mbradley--thanks for the post, very helpful. I'm new to the world of graphite on irons (and at 53, I have no qualms about playing whatever helps me enjoy the game as much as possible).
Mizuno JPX EZ 5-PW
B-330 RSX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors