Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

True Temper TX flighted shafts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Anyone know anything about them? I'm not having much luck w/ TT or google.
Just got a set of WS Ci11's with them and better results with the R flex than S on the monitors.
I usually play stiff or soft stepped stiff iron shafts.
Just wondering what I might expect outta these outdoors in the real world.
I may not get a chance to hit them for a week or two due to weather and obligations.
Thanks

Cobra BioCell+ Matrix Red Tie
XHot 15*3wd & 19* 5wd stock PX
Idea Pro Black 23* w/ Altus
Apex/ Apex pro combo Recoil 95
SM4 54/11 & 58/9 KBS Tour
Odyssey Metal X Versa #9

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mxtitleistgolfer

mxtitleistgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27377
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

I think I have some old books at work. Send me a pm tomorrow afternoon to remind me and I'll take a look.

#3 TrueTemper

TrueTemper

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8549
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

TX Flighted?  We made a TX-90 and a TX-Tour, but in my recollection (13 years on the graphite side) I don't remember a TX Flighted.  Which doesn't mean it never existed, I'm getting old and can't remember all the shafts I've designed, none the less the steel guys.  Can you send me a picture of the shaft band and/or the butt code and I can see what I can find?

-Don
WI Don's Bag Dr- Grafalloy Boost, FWs- PXv Tour 52 Hy- PX LZ HY Prototypes, Irons- DG Pro WI Bill's Bag DR- PX LZ Proto, FW- PX 7D3 HY- PX HD2, Irons- DG PRO Blk finish

#4 CallawayKid86

CallawayKid86

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127942
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

The only 2 I have seen are the TX-90 and TX Tour. I have some of the TX Tour X flex that were to be used with some 910 hybrids. Great shafts though. I think I read somewhere that they were supposed to be lighter and lower launching that DG X100's but that could have been incorrect.
TM 300ti 9.5
Geotech B Stream 5w
Vulcan APH-1
Scratch 53*
TM ATV 58*
Macgregor Hoylake

#5 p3ga

p3ga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209795
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Here's a linky to the WS product page: http://www.wilson.co...olf/irons/Ci11/

Decent stock shaft; it's not going to hurt you. You might (or might not) find that your i20's w/ KBS feel a tad smoother.

I have a set - the one recommendation I have is to replace the stock grips & just enjoy them. The clubs are very much underated / unappreciated by the masses.

#6 TDA72

TDA72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165425
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Don´t you mean Taper Tech?

#7 CallawayKid86

CallawayKid86

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127942
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Very intrigued by these shafts. I wonder if they are a flighted version of the old TX Tours then.
TM 300ti 9.5
Geotech B Stream 5w
Vulcan APH-1
Scratch 53*
TM ATV 58*
Macgregor Hoylake

#8 mxtitleistgolfer

mxtitleistgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27377
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

As others have said, not sure about there being a TX flighted, but I did find specs on the TX-90 and the TX Tour if you're interested in those. Had to pull out the 2004 Golf Works catalog. Lol.

#9 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have the Ci11's as well.  I emailed TT asking about them because I wanted to match my wedge shafts to the iron shafts as closely as possible.  No one at TT seems to know anything about any "made for" shaft they offer.

The step patterns are different, and they seems just slightly softer to flex then the Dynamic Gold SL, but those would be the closest match to the Wilson TT TX-Flighted.  Think of them as a flighted DG SL.  Personally, I've enjoyed the shafts.  I considered pulling them for DG's or KBS Tours, but after playing with them for a few rounds and adjusting to the feel, I didn't seen any major advantage in investing in the change.

In real world testing there are a few things that stood out to me.  
1 - mid flight.  Your speed/ball striking with vary with this, but I hit my Ci11's side by side with R11's with KBS 90's outdoors.  They had slightly lower height for my speed.  I think it's a little high in the short irons, but that could also be because the Ci11's have a full cavity through the GW unlike several GI sets that offer progressive cavities now.  
2 - a more boardy feel if you are coming from something like Nippon or KBS. It's not bad my any means, but if you switch from a high feel/smooth shaft, you will notice.
3 - Every so slightly wider butt/grip sections.  Similar to the DG SL, the grip area doesn't taper as quickly as most other shafts.  It's not a huge difference by any means.  I would equate it to putting an extra wrap or two under the bottom hand.

Other then that, they are a a solid mid weight shaft! Enjoy.

#10 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Here's the photo from another website.  Looks like a form of the TX-90 logo but the steps are different looking.
Ci11-9-8.jpg

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 TrueTemper

TrueTemper

Tour Winner

• Sponsors
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8549
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Found em.  They are 115 gram shafts, with a unique step pattern in the tip.  Normally in a parallel tip shaft you will see the variation in flex accounted for in the .600 section and the .370 section.  The combined lengths of the two will be equal but the amount of butt and amount of tip varies.   So X flex might be 12" butt and 8" tip where as the R might be 8" butt and 12" tip.  What's unique about the TX Flighted is that the .370 section is constant for all 3 flexes and the variation occurs a little further up the shaft in a step that is .450 in diameter.  The affect of this is that the the softer flexes don't get overly soft in the longer irons and are more stable.  This might be why the OP likes them, he can load the softer butt section more but benefits from a stiffer tip than one usually finds in a design of this nature.

-Don
WI Don's Bag Dr- Grafalloy Boost, FWs- PXv Tour 52 Hy- PX LZ HY Prototypes, Irons- DG Pro WI Bill's Bag DR- PX LZ Proto, FW- PX 7D3 HY- PX HD2, Irons- DG PRO Blk finish

#12 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostTrueTemper, on 04 October 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Found em.  They are 115 gram shafts, with a unique step pattern in the tip.  Normally in a parallel tip shaft you will see the variation in flex accounted for in the .600 section and the .370 section.  The combined lengths of the two will be equal but the amount of butt and amount of tip varies.   So X flex might be 12" butt and 8" tip where as the R might be 8" butt and 12" tip.  What's unique about the TX Flighted is that the .370 section is constant for all 3 flexes and the variation occurs a little further up the shaft in a step that is .450 in diameter.  The affect of this is that the the softer flexes don't get overly soft in the longer irons and are more stable.  This might be why the OP likes them, he can load the softer butt section more but benefits from a stiffer tip than one usually finds in a design of this nature.

-Don

Don, since you are the only TT employee I've ever known to find details on this shaft, any idea on which TT shaft would be closest to the TX-Flighted? I've always considered getting the closest possible match for my wedges.  Thanks for the help!

#13 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

View Postp3ga, on 04 October 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Here's a linky to the WS product page: http://www.wilson.co...olf/irons/Ci11/

Decent stock shaft; it's not going to hurt you. You might (or might not) find that your i20's w/ KBS feel a tad smoother.

I have a set - the one recommendation I have is to replace the stock grips & just enjoy them. The clubs are very much underated / unappreciated by the masses.
Thanks for the info.
Took them to the range today but my swing was a wreck, so it was an exercise in futility. The shots I hit well were flying higher than I expected with the short irons, but I could have been flipping it a bit I was swinging so bad.
The Ci11s are sure nice to look down at, thats for sure.
They'll get another shot Sunday maybe. still need to bend them upright a bit for me.
And you're right, the grips suck and will be jettisoned soon.

Edited by RainShadow, 05 October 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Odyssey Metal X Versa #9

#14 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

View Postdisplayname, on 04 October 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I have the Ci11's as well.  I emailed TT asking about them because I wanted to match my wedge shafts to the iron shafts as closely as possible.  No one at TT seems to know anything about any "made for" shaft they offer.

The step patterns are different, and they seems just slightly softer to flex then the Dynamic Gold SL, but those would be the closest match to the Wilson TT TX-Flighted.  Think of them as a flighted DG SL.  Personally, I've enjoyed the shafts.  I considered pulling them for DG's or KBS Tours, but after playing with them for a few rounds and adjusting to the feel, I didn't seen any major advantage in investing in the change.

In real world testing there are a few things that stood out to me.  
1 - mid flight.  Your speed/ball striking with vary with this, but I hit my Ci11's side by side with R11's with KBS 90's outdoors.  They had slightly lower height for my speed.  I think it's a little high in the short irons, but that could also be because the Ci11's have a full cavity through the GW unlike several GI sets that offer progressive cavities now.  
2 - a more boardy feel if you are coming from something like Nippon or KBS. It's not bad my any means, but if you switch from a high feel/smooth shaft, you will notice.
3 - Every so slightly wider butt/grip sections.  Similar to the DG SL, the grip area doesn't taper as quickly as most other shafts.  It's not a huge difference by any means.  I would equate it to putting an extra wrap or two under the bottom hand.

Other then that, they are a a solid mid weight shaft! Enjoy.
Nice summation, thanks. I did notice they were a little harsh, but as I said above, I wasn't striking the ball well at all today.
Odyssey Metal X Versa #9

#15 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostTrueTemper, on 04 October 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

-Don
Thanks Don! Great Info.

Odyssey Metal X Versa #9

#16 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

For anyone looking for info on these in the future, the TX Flighted shafts are True Temper Dynalite 100's.  I snapped my 9 iron shaft, and took it to the PGA super store to order a new one.  the tech recognized the step pattern, grabbed a Dynalite 100, and it matched up perfectly.  Then to confirm he took the grip off the snapped shaft, and sure enough, the shaft codes matched exactly.  

Problem solved. TX Fligthed = Dynalite 100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors