Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

MP 53 vs. MP 54

Mizuno MP 53 54

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spud3

spud3

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119423
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

Finally had a chance to hit the MP 54 today, and got a chance to A/B it against my MP 53.  This was in a Golfsmith bay with their tracking equipment, so no info on turf interaction.  But there were some surprises.

I should say that my 53's are loved like my children.  They are my third set of Mizuno's, and have gotten me over the hump of becoming a single digit hci (currently 9.2).  I went with the notion that if the 54's were not significantly better then the 53's, I would just wait a bit and get a great deal on some closeout 53's; otherwise I would be ordering a set of 54's. probably around spring, as I still have some good rounds left in my 53's.

At address, the topline on the 54's is just a hair thicker than the 53, but not so much as to bug me, and not nearly as thick as the JPX or H4, both of which are too clunky looking for me.

Feel-wise, I couldn't tell a lot of difference.  Just for yuks (and because they are such beautiful clubs), I hit the MP 4 as well.  I only hit five shots, one not great, two decent ones and two really good ones and crikey did those two feel sweet. 53's and 54's both felt almost as good.  Not a lot, but noticeable, a lot like a 64 to me.

I was seeing the ball speed about 5mph better with the 54's, which added about 10 yds (!) to the six iron.  Only difference was the shaft, which is a standard DG S300 in my 53's, and was the DG Superlight S300 in the 54's, which could account for the difference. The fitter put the DG S300 in the 54 and it felt like a cement block.  Shot dispersion was slightly better with the 54's, and they felt like there might be a touch more forgiveness, but not a lot.

Swing weight felt very different in the 54.  The head felt a little heavier, probably due to the lighter shaft, but it had the strange effect of feeling like it slowed down my tempo, even though my actual swing speed was higher.

What the fitter suggested was to get a DG SL S300 put in my 53 6 iron (costs about $30), get on the scope again and see if the added ball speed is due to the shaft or the head.  He said he's never seen a head make that much difference.

If that's the case, I'll probably be scouting out a new set of 53's with the SL shaft.  If it's not, then I'll be ordering some 54's.

So I got some answers and some questions out of the trip.  Good info, but more work required.  One thing is for certain, the 54's feel as good as the 53's.  I was disappointed in the 59's when they came out, as they didn't feel nearly as nice as the 53's to me.

More as it happens!

"take that, you miserable
little white swine!"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dan360

dan360

got wedge-chi?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 682

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

You're right about the 59s.   They are not as soft in the feel dept. as the rest of the Mizuno MP lineup.   Closer to Titleist in that regard.   They are much better than the 58s though.  Those were harsh.

I felt and saw negligible difference between the 53s and 54s outdoors and on the machines.    Best of luck in your search for the 53s and SL shafts--probably a lot better price point than the new 54s.
JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#3 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I tried them both out as well.  I found that the 54's looked more like 59 replacements than 53 replacement.
I will be shopping around for some new 53's.  I need the added forgiveness.

#4 mattzuno

mattzuno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251256
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

I have had my 53's now for most of the season and they are my first set of mizunos so the honeymoon is still going.  Man what a great set of irons.  the feel is incredible and with the KBS tour Xstiff soft stepped shafts they fitted to me I hit them all one club plus longer than my last set of taylormade RAC LT's.  The trajectory is perfect as it finished high enough to drop like a bean bag but no balooning what so ever.  whay most impressed me is how they work through the turf.  I have such confidence to made a solid decending blow and glide right through the turf with a perfect hand sized divot.  

Haven't seen the 54 live but it looks very similar to the 53,  but will say i dont like any of the the black plastic insert on the JPX and even that little band on back of mp-54's.  
It's simply cosmetic but for me I want all metal and nothing else.  The 54 almost has a little Titelist look from backside view IMHO.

#5 spud3

spud3

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

Went this weekend to GS again, this time for a full session and trying every shaft in the cart.

Bottom line is the KBS Tour shaft gave the best dispersion and feel with the 54's, but not significantly better than my 53's with the S300.  I'll probably be looking for a set of 53's with the KBS shafts, as that will likely be about half the price of the 54's.  Not quite enough difference for me; same great feel. slightly more forgiving, but not enough to spend another 400-500 bucks.

But it's close...

So I reserve the right to change my mind.

little white swine!"

#6 sweetswing22

sweetswing22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216575
  • Ebay ID:marc4298
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

Just reshaft your current set of 53s. Save alot of :stink: $$$$$$$

#7 spud3

spud3

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thought about that, but I just re-gripped them and they only have maybe a season left before they get retired to the Practice Bag.  53's aren't going to be available much longer, so I'll be scouring the woodshed for a set of new 53's with the KBS while I can still find some.

When those wear out, I'll move to the 54's (unless Mizuno puts out an MP "55", in which case I will probably face the same dilemma...

Such problems!  :)
little white swine!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors