Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

2014 Cobra Line-up

yeah baby

80 replies to this topic

#1 AzPGAPro

AzPGAPro

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71693
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hey guys,

Just spoke with the Cobra/Puma rep and he tells me the new equipment for 2014 is even better than the current line!  The new line is designed to "go the distance" sort of speak.  Apparently, the product is super long and still has that great forgiveness and accuracy  Cobra is known for.  I haven't seen the product just yet (probably tomorrow).  Sorry guys, I can't post any pics from what I see.  All I can do is give you the most God honest truth of what my opinion is on the product.  Hopefully GolfWRX can get some inside scoop and leak pics from corporate later this fall.  I will be in touch.

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 cassidybond

cassidybond

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251880
  • Ebay ID:cassidy_bond
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Nice keep us in the loop. I have the 2012 AMP irons but would love to hear anout the new offerings.  LoveLovely irons btw. Very forgiving and long. Great look and feel as well.
Ping G15 Driver 10.5*
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 15*
Cleveland HiBore XL 19*, HiBore XLS 22*
Cobra AMP 5-GW Irons
Titleist 54*/11*; 58*/6* Wedges
Cleveland Classic II Putter

#3 Huntster

Huntster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146777
  • Handicap:11.3
  • Ebay ID:abraxas1971
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

I currently use the S3's and still love them. I have toyed with getting the Amp Cells but I am hitting the S3's well so I keep going back and forth in my mind about needing and wanting. ;p

Also want to pick up a new Amp Cell driver too but have been crushing my K-15 lately so again the dilemma of needs and wants.

#4 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157931
GolfWRX Likes : 789

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Are they going to offer any clubs without loud and bright color schemes? I doubt it, which is unfortunate because it's a real turn off to me. Honestly, I don't even consider Cobra because of the looks, and I am someone who I thought would play anything despite looks as long as it looks good standing over it. The bright colors kinda cheapen the look a little and makes them look like toys, or at least very plastic. They even find a way to "Rickie Fowler" up the players lines with colorful dots and more badging than is necessary. Wish they'd make a "classics" line or something with a little more conservative look to them, because I want to like them.

Along the same lines, and not to thread jack, isn't there some connection between Titleist/ Acushnet and Cobra/ Puma? I'm sure if that is the case (my mind is a little foggy, I could swear that I heard there was some connection), then they have the more traditional Titleist lines and the louder Cobra lines to get a piece of all the market.

#5 valkare

valkare

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187338
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostAzPGAPro, on 20 August 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Hey guys,

Just spoke with the Cobra/Puma rep and he tells me the new equipment for 2014 is even better than the current line!  The new line is designed to "go the distance" sort of speak.  Apparently, the product is super long and still has that great forgiveness and accuracy  Cobra is known for.  I haven't seen the product just yet (probably tomorrow).  Sorry guys, I can't post any pics from what I see.  All I can do is give you the most God honest truth of what my opinion is on the product.  Hopefully GolfWRX can get some inside scoop and leak pics from corporate later this fall.  I will be in touch.

Phew!!! For a second I was worried they'd put out a set of clubs that was worse than their current lineup and/or shorter!

#6 bleda2002

bleda2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227611
  • Ebay ID:bleda_2000

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Titleist used used to own cobra, but no more.

The silver heads are still too bright for you?

I hope they dont get rid of the colors as thats a big selling point for me, there are plenty of boring black clones but very few stand outs. I think the idea was that silver would be the traditional players choice.

#7 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1278

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

I heard rumors of a possible high end putter line from Cobra next year.  That would be interesting.

#8 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

View Postbleda2002, on 20 August 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Titleist used used to own cobra, but no more.

The silver heads are still too bright for you?

I hope they dont get rid of the colors as thats a big selling point for me, there are plenty of boring black clones but very few stand outs. I think the idea was that silver would be the traditional players choice.

I didn't mind the silver, but still a lot of plastic and stuff on the cavity to make them look a little toy-ish. Plus the silver is only available in the Amp Cell, which were a little clunky for my liking. Like I said, to each their own. I want to like them, I just have a mental speed bump to get over when it comes to looks, and they aren't doing it for me. Maybe more of a "me" problem than a "them" problem. I like some flash, and I like to sport some Puma shirts from time to time, but when it comes to my clubs, I like traditional and sleek. Less is more, for me.

All I meant by my post is that I wish they had a little more conservative options. Even the Amp Cell Pro is a little too busy for me, too much badging and color. It's a shame the Amp Forged aren't offered in the silver, they seem like something I could see myself playing. A little chunky on the top line, though, which is one of my biggest things when it comes to an iron's looks at address. Hate a thick top line.

Maybe orange just isn't my color? :dntknw:

#9 AzPGAPro

AzPGAPro

Advanced

• 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71693

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostGoIrish17, on 20 August 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Are they going to offer any clubs without loud and bright color schemes? I doubt it, which is unfortunate because it's a real turn off to me. Honestly, I don't even consider Cobra because of the looks, and I am someone who I thought would play anything despite looks as long as it looks good standing over it. The bright colors kinda cheapen the look a little and makes them look like toys, or at least very plastic. They even find a way to "Rickie Fowler" up the players lines with colorful dots and more badging than is necessary. Wish they'd make a "classics" line or something with a little more conservative look to them, because I want to like them.

Along the same lines, and not to thread jack, isn't there some connection between Titleist/ Acushnet and Cobra/ Puma? I'm sure if that is the case (my mind is a little foggy, I could swear that I heard there was some connection), then they have the more traditional Titleist lines and the louder Cobra lines to get a piece of all the market.

They used to be one in the same under the Fortune Brands umbrella.  Cobra was sold to Puma 4 years ago
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...

#10 justasgood

justasgood

Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212517
  • Handicap:I.Q.
  • Ebay ID:klccsam
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

When has anybody's new line been worse that the current equipment?

At least as admitted to by a rep or OEM

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 deck

deck

Off The Deck

• 3,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123347
  • Handicap:8.7
  • Ebay ID:deck607
GolfWRX Likes : 972

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 20 August 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

I heard rumors of a possible high end putter line from Cobra next year.  That would be interesting.

That is something I would love to see by them. With their design team, I would love to see what they come up with
BB Alpha Tour ATX Green S 65
Big Bertha 15 Fubuki Z
X2Hot 22 ATX Green S
Apex 5-7, Apex Pro's 8-P C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
Jailbird 34'

#12 skyleralan

skyleralan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91490
  • Ebay ID:skyleralan
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Then play Titleist or Ping or even Cleveland stuff of late.  I understand you dislike Cobra and the direction they are/have taken with their equipment in terms of color schemes, badging, etc., but it is like complaining about driving an "American" made car vs. "foreign crap".  There are options that is what is great about this sport and America in general.  They seem to make something for everyone.  If everybody made the same plain-Jane stuff it would be a boring world.  I am not saying I want to play an orange driver, but who cares if others want to.

#13 martinbns

martinbns

Major Winner

• 1,293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253982
  • Handicap:8.0
  • Ebay ID:martinbns
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have been playing Mizuno JPX 800s the last few years and over the winter bought a set of AmpCell irons.  Liked the feel in the store, and the simulator.

didn't like them on the course, the felt like Taylormade burners, my bad shots were OK, the problem is so were my good ones.

They are in my basement for when my son comes to visit.
Nike Covert 2.0 R Flex, 10.5N
Xhot 15
19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap JPX800
Scotty Kombi
54/10 Mizzy JPX 60 MackDaddy2

#14 jabroni23

jabroni23

I understand the way this game is played....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76647
  • Ebay ID:jabroni231
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have to disagree with that.  I have the silver Amp Cell Pro and it's not very flashy at all.  In fact, when I go to GG and take a driver with a white head off the rack and look down at it at address, I feel blinded like I just walked out of a movie theater, and I played the R11 and RBZ Tour for a season each.  The ACP is one of the best looking drivers at address that I've ever had the pleasure of holding.
Cobra BC Pro w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65 TX
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* w/ Matrix Code 8x
Nike VR Pro LE 19* 5W w/ Kuro Kage 80x
Mizuno MP H4 4-PW w/ True Temper DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 50*,54*,60* w/ DG X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2

#15 jabroni23

jabroni23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Postskyleralan, on 20 August 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Then play Titleist or Ping or even Cleveland stuff of late.  I understand you dislike Cobra and the direction they are/have taken with their equipment in terms of color schemes, badging, etc., but it is like complaining about driving an "American" made car vs. "foreign crap".  There are options that is what is great about this sport and America in general.  They seem to make something for everyone.  If everybody made the same plain-Jane stuff it would be a boring world.  I am not saying I want to play an orange driver, but who cares if others want to.

Exactly.  If they came out with something that looked like everyone else's clubs, what market advantage would they have.  They rolled the dice, the same way TM did with the white heads, and I think they succeeded because they obviously have more buzz and people are talking about and buying Cobra clubs (just like TM made positive gains).  I can't say that I'm privy to their actual sales numbers the past few years, but I'd venture to think that they've gone up, not down.  Variety is the spice of life and if you're a manufacturer and you guess right once in a while, you can do wonders for your business.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Taking no risk is the greatest risk of all.  Blah, blah, blah.

#16 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postjabroni23, on 20 August 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

I have to disagree with that.  I have the silver Amp Cell Pro and it's not very flashy at all.  In fact, when I go to GG and take a driver with a white head off the rack and look down at it at address, I feel blinded like I just walked out of a movie theater, and I played the R11 and RBZ Tour for a season each.  The ACP is one of the best looking drivers at address that I've ever had the pleasure of holding.

Fair enough. Like I said, golf clubs are very personal. If you'll notice my sig, I have no white clubs in my bag. I should add "anymore". I tried to like them, just couldn't agree with me. If it don't look right standing over it, I can't hit it. Simple as that. Just me.

#17 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Just to get this out there, I wasn't "complaining", I was just wishing out loud that I could have another company to consider when looking at clubs. To each their own, I guess. It's not a bad thing, just not my thing. As an aside, I don't remember flaming anyone for wanting to play any stuff, just wishing there were more options for those who don't agree with the color and plastic. If you're into Cobra's clubs, hit 'em straight and have fun! Just not for me.

#18 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

BTW, I love how everyone uses cars as an analogy for golf clubs. Truth be told, I drive my car (2010 Mazda 6) because the price was right and it gets me from point "A" to point "B" safely, comfortably, and with as little gas used as possible. I don't choose my golf clubs in the same way, because I don't spend 5 figures on them.

#19 skyleralan

skyleralan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91490
  • Ebay ID:skyleralan
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostGoIrish17, on 20 August 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Just to get this out there, I wasn't "complaining", I was just wishing out loud that I could have another company to consider when looking at clubs. To each their own, I guess. It's not a bad thing, just not my thing. As an aside, I don't remember flaming anyone for wanting to play any stuff, just wishing there were more options for those who don't agree with the color and plastic. If you're into Cobra's clubs, hit 'em straight and have fun! Just not for me.

I apologize wholeheartedly if it came off that you were complaining, that isn't what I meant.  My example with the cars was more about people in general and not towards anyone.

I am in the same boat as you, if I don't like what I see I won't even give it a whirl.  I will say in terms of clubs for the most part, I am colorblind.  I will hit anything if I think it gives me an advantage and it appeals to my eye.

#20 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Postskyleralan, on 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I apologize wholeheartedly if it came off that you were complaining, that isn't what I meant.  My example with the cars was more about people in general and not towards anyone.

I am in the same boat as you, if I don't like what I see I won't even give it a whirl.  I will say in terms of clubs for the most part, I am colorblind.  I will hit anything if I think it gives me an advantage and it appeals to my eye.

I thought the same thing until I stood over a gaudy TaylorMade driver. Looks at address matter to me, and though I can't say I am proud of it, it is what it is.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Moss Boss/Turf Smurf

Moss Boss/Turf Smurf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207605
  • Ebay ID:Osborne5pam
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postdeck, on 20 August 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

That is something I would love to see by them. With their design team, I would love to see what they come up with
I will buy one just to have it in my collection

#22 ROBOPTI

ROBOPTI

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15525
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostMoss Boss/Turf Smurf, on 21 August 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

View Postdeck, on 20 August 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

I will buy one just to have it in my collection

They are more than capable of producing some nasty stuff .. Remember they did this on a whim

Posted Image

Posted Image

I asked them about putters when I was out there .. I know they would like to be a full line OEM - but understand the issues with being full line. I know they know that the putter market is a tough niche market to crack. With Odyssey / Ping & SC out there - not to mention the rest - TOUGH nut to crack.

I hope they go for it ... ONLY club I am lacking in my COBRA bag to get to 14 is the putter - so I'm with you Moss Boss !!

#23 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126606
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Aside from Poutler stamped down the neck and the lack of a Cobra in the cavity, that looks exactly like the Cobra putter I have now and use regularly.

#24 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Cobra is focused on attracting younger players, which don't want the same boring color palettes us older guys do.  I think it's good to have a company like Cobra / Puma keeping golf young and fresh so kids don't continue to think golf is for old people.

#25 NHC

NHC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211409
  • Ebay ID:mavtgun
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

View Postskyleralan, on 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

By the way, "a lot" of American cars are made in Mexico and "a lot" of Japanese cars are made in the good O' U-S-of-A.
You guys probably know that already, but Just saying...

I think most (99%) of our golf equipment are made in China.  :)

I love the bright flash of Cobra and Puma.  I'm not young, nor am i old (34 years old), but it's great for a company to brighten things up a little and change it up.  If i wasn't so happy with my current driver, i would be all over the Amp Cell drivers.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
Callaway Big Bertha 18* 5 Wood
Callaway x2 Hot Pro Hybrid 23*
Bridgestone J40 CB-DPC Combo 5-PW
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52* & 56*
Odyssey ProType iX #1

#26 NHC

NHC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211409
  • Ebay ID:mavtgun
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

View Postnew2g0lf, on 21 August 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Cobra is focused on attracting younger players, which don't want the same boring color palettes us older guys do.  I think it's good to have a company like Cobra / Puma keeping golf young and fresh so kids don't continue to think golf is for old people.

Just last week on the course i saw 2 Rickie Fowlers!  All dressed in Puma orange from head to toe.  God bless them, if they feel comfy in it and it inspires them to play good golf, just go for it!
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
Callaway Big Bertha 18* 5 Wood
Callaway x2 Hot Pro Hybrid 23*
Bridgestone J40 CB-DPC Combo 5-PW
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52* & 56*
Odyssey ProType iX #1

#27 jabroni23

jabroni23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostNHC, on 21 August 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 21 August 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Just last week on the course i saw 2 Rickie Fowlers!  All dressed in Puma orange from head to toe.  God bless them, if they feel comfy in it and it inspires them to play good golf, just go for it!

I was at the PGA Championship at Oak Hill on Sunday and I saw dozens of youngsters in Puma Orange, head to toe.  I think it's great that they're helping in getting the younger generation interested.  While baseball continues to suffer by sticking to old ways and not wanting to be progressive, golf seems to be making the effort to get the next generation interested.

#28 pingpring

pingpring

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130076
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

First Cobra club I've ever bought was this year. I have never considered them as an option before, mainly a PING guy. But after hitting the ACP I could not deny it from being in my bag. It was the best sounding, feeling and performing driver I hit this year. I am now following Cobra very closely. I just hope next year's offerings include the MyFly tech without changing the adapter. I'd love to plug and play.

#29 jar59

jar59

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26059
  • Handicap:0.7

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

My opinion of what would be a good idea for the 2014 product lineup would be a new approach for the fairway woods that matches up better with the Amp Cell Pro driver.  Currently, the Fuel shaft is too different from the Kuro Kage shaft to be useful and the adapter includes square and closed settings for the fairway woods while the ACP driver gors from square to open.  A more seamless fit in shafts and adapters would make sense since the ACP driver seems to be extremely well accepted and should be a good growth performer in the lineup.

I have the ACP driver and the 3-4 wood.  I have decided to drop the FW until I get a better shaft option that I will address over the winter.  I am using the Amp Cell hybrids for the balance of the year since the 2-3 hits it better then the FW for me.  I also have the 3-4 hybrid and like it very much.

The hybrid shaft made by Mitsubishi is very good in the stiff flex and works with the stiff Kuro Kage in my experience.  The 3-4 wood does not fit as it currently is presented to us.

#30 jar59

jar59

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26059
  • Handicap:0.7

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

One additional comment.  The fairway wood shaft from the previous version of AMP items is very good and would work pretty well with the ACP Driver, in my view.

Of course, I am interested in the opinions of other cobra product users as it is a very exciting product line right now.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors