Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway FT-i + Accuflex Creation = BOMB

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Springbok

Springbok

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1514
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

For the history behind all of this, you need to read the THIS thread

"Next Vendor was Callaway. I have never been a Callaway fan. I have tried the FT-3, and hated it. I tried the Big Berth. Hated it. I tried the X-Tour. Hated it. I was not expecting much, but what the hell, I had to hit the FT-i. I looked in the bags, and found a FT-i 10*, with Fujikura 586 S-Flex, Neutral weighting. It appears the the Fuji Tour Specs will be the standard shaft in the FT-i's. How did I like it? Well....IT WAS THE BEST DAMN DRIVER I HAVE EVER HIT. I cannot even begin to describe how absolutely BLOWN AWAY I was by this driver. There are not enough adjectives to describe it. It only wants to go straight. You can hit it on the heel, on the toe, or in the middle, and it will just go straight. Honestly guys. I was BEGGING the guy to let me buy the driver right there, but he did not cave in. I also hit the FT-5. This too was a SUPER driver. I think it is slightly longer than the FT-i, since it appeared to have less spin. The FT-i had better dispersion. What it all boils down to is that Monday, I will be ordering both a 10* FT-i and 10* FT-5 with fujikura 586 S-Flex, Neutral Weighting. BTW: Both the FT-i and FT-5 launch significantly higher than the FT3 and other drivers I hit. I currently hit a 11.5* R7 460, but will be dropping to a 10* in the FT-i and FT-5."

Then THIS one.

"As many of you know, I proclaimed the FT-i to be the next best thing since sliced bread, after hitting it at GolfFest a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I finally got my hands on an FT-i. The exact same specs as the one I hit at Golf Fest. 10*, Neutral Setting, S-Flex.

After hitting it, I am absolutely confounded. It was no where near the club I had hit a couple of weeks ago. Lower ball flight, short, and bad dispersion. What went wrong?

Here in lies my MAJOR issue with demo days.

1) They don't allow you to buy the actual club you hit.
2) I am convinced that 1) is because the club you hit, is NOT the same as the one you get at retail.

Let's recap:

Coming back from Golf Fest, I thought I found 4 clubs that blew me away:

1) Callaway FT-i
2) R7 TP irons
3) Callaway X-HOT
4) Adams Idea Pro

I proceeded to purchase each of these clubs, with the EXACT shafts and specs that I hit at Golf Fest. Every one of these clubs did not perform the same as the clubs I hit at Golf Fest.

I don't think that it is the clubs themselves. My theory is that it has a lot to do with the shafts. Every one of them had MUCH better trajectory, and MUCH better dispersion at the demo day.

What the hell is going on. That is the last time I ever buy clubs, simply because they performed well at the demo day. From now on, I only buy them, if I get to buy the actual one I hit.

I am REALLY dissapointed. It has spoilt my whole demo experience."

Some history....

I am a very low ball hitter, that generates very little spin. My Club head speed is between 102-110MPH. My spin rate is around 2400RPM. I currently use an 11.5* TM Superquad. My previous driver was a 11.5* R7 460

Fast forward 4 months. I just got an 11* and had Chip Usher throw my favorite shaft in there, an Acculflex Creation 65g S-Flex. I keep thinking back to how impressed I was at Golf Fest, and how well I hit it. I was hoping the 10* I got back in January was just a dud, and that the 11* with creation will be the club I dreamed of.

About the 11*....

The club sits absolutely DEAD SQUARE. I was expecting it to be closed, and was going to have Chip shim it to square. When he got it, he measured it, and it was dead square. Looking at it, it looks perfect to me. Not at all closed (like the 10* was). The other interesting thing is that at 44 3/4", and 65g, the swing weight is D3.5. I have heard that the FT-i with 45 3/4" Fuji (stock length and shaft) have swing weights that range from D6-D9. This would seem to be verified if you look at the fact that the Creation at 1" shorter (which generally translates to 4 SW points), is still at D3.

I played with the club on Sunday. I hit 12 of 13 fairways. I have NEVER only missed one fairway in a round. EVER. The fairway I missed was the very first one. It's a dogleg right. I hit it too straight  :friends: and went through the fairway. Trajectory was perfect for me. Not to high, and not too low. Distance was very good. I would say that it is not the longest driver. Maybe 5 yards shorter on holes directly into the wind. With the wind it was about the same as my Superquad. Definitely more carry than the superquad, but less roll.

Morale of the story is... If you play a course with a lot of dog legs... don't buy this driver. If you want to hit the ball straight.... BUY THIS DRIVER.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Springbok, 09 May 2007 - 12:33 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tbear

tbear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

Springbok

I found the same level of consistant driving with my FT-i 11* draw.  Like you, I am a low ball hitter and need at least a 10.5 anything to get my launch angle up.  My driver swing speed is only ~85-90 max and I tried the regular Fuji 586 but felt like I could swing easy and comfortable with the senior flex.  Sometimes when I swing too hard it will go left on me so I probably need to tip it a hair.  But as it is, just a slow and easy swing gets the ball plenty high with a slight draw right down the middle and it can be very long sometimes.  Clearly one of the best drivers out there becuase it does "self - correct" on poorly struck shots, off the toe or heel.

I find that the r7 460 11.5 with reg 60 gram stock reax is also extremely reliable (good height and control) for drawing the ball around corners.  I still trying to get the TM superquad 10.5 with reg 65 reax to work but seems to want to go kind of low with this shaft.  I think a superquad 11.5 with a 60 gram reax reg or some other high launch shaft (NVS55 or 65R, Purple Ice 55R).  How do you think the Creation regular shaft would work compared to these shafts in a superquad 11.5?  Would these work really better than the 460 11.5?

#3 Springbok

Springbok

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

tbear,

The creation does not come in an R, so I don't think that will be a good choice. I found the R7 460 to be higher launch, more spin than the equalent Superquad. The SQ is longer, but the R7 460 is straighter. Definitely stiff with an 11.5*, and not 10.5. I found that I hit the ball much better with the 11.5's.

Deon.

#4 tbear

tbear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

View PostSpringbok, on May 8 2007, 02:24 PM, said:

tbear,

The creation does not come in an R, so I don't think that will be a good choice. I found the R7 460 to be higher launch, more spin than the equalent Superquad. The SQ is longer, but the R7 460 is straighter. Definitely stiff with an 11.5*, and not 10.5. I found that I hit the ball much better with the 11.5's.

Deon.

Deon

Thanks for your reply, I remember writing to you before thru ebay and you have only top quality clubs for sale.  Let me say the obvious buddy, you take the very best pictures of your clubs that I have seen, do you polish them with a special wax before posing them for pics because they always appear like they have never been hit ???  :-)

Yeah, I think I hit the 11.5 better as well, I just need a softer shaft.  I just don't like the 65 gram reax for some reason.  I love that old 460 reax shaft and I do have a spare reax 60 gram shaft from an old 460.  I can try in a new 11.5 superquad with NVS65R, and if I don't like the NVS, swap to the reax 60, think this will work OK?  
Teddy

#5 Springbok

Springbok

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

Teddy,

Never hit the NVS or REAX, so I can't comment on it.

As for the pics... I always take the pics before I hit the clubs, always in natural daylight, and with a good camera.

#6 Springbok

Springbok

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

I was curious if anyone else on WRX is using the FT-i, and what your thoughts are?

#7 icec0ld

icec0ld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2971
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

View PostSpringbok, on May 9 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

I was curious if anyone else on WRX is using the FT-i, and what your thoughts are?

I don't know if they're on WRX, but I do know a quite a few people who are having pretty good success with the FT-i driver. The good is that they have success, the bad is that they are obtaining this success with low spinning shafts due to the makeup of the driver. I personally want to give it a go with the FT-i in the rare 8.5* with Diamana Whiteboard... too bad I can't 1) find someone to buy my Tour D1 and 2) find a 8.5* FT-i.

#8 enickma

enickma

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25555
  • Ebay ID:gotnick

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

View Posticec0ld, on May 9 2007, 10:47 AM, said:

I don't know if they're on WRX, but I do know a quite a few people who are having pretty good success with the FT-i driver. The good is that they have success, the bad is that they are obtaining this success with low spinning shafts due to the makeup of the driver. I personally want to give it a go with the FT-i in the rare 8.5* with Diamana Whiteboard... too bad I can't 1) find someone to buy my Tour D1 and 2) find a 8.5* FT-i.
Ice, give in to the power of the Hibore XL.  Tuyen, Ben, Aaron, and myself can't ALL be wrong!

#9 icec0ld

icec0ld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2971
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:59 AM

View Postenickma, on May 9 2007, 11:48 AM, said:

View Posticec0ld, on May 9 2007, 10:47 AM, said:

Ice, give in to the power of the Hibore XL.  Tuyen, Ben, Aaron, and myself can't ALL be wrong!

Hahahaha, naw man. My alliance is to Callaway Nick! Besides, my brand ho rotation says it's not Cleveland's turn yet! Callaway is actually the next brand up! (Callaway, Nike, Cleveland, Ping, Titleist in that order hahahaha).

#10 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:09 AM

As much as I dearly wanted to love the FT-i and FT-i Tour, sad to say that I thought this driver sucked.

I hit a 9* FT-i and a 9.5* FT-i Tour, and both just didn't perform well at all for me, compared to the 907D1 & D2, Hibore XL and Cobra Speed S.

I was highly disappointed with the results, and personally think the "square" drivers will be a fad that soon dies away.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 eRod v1.0

eRod v1.0

"In Rod We Trust"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16871
  • Ebay ID:eRod13
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

View PostSpringbok, on May 9 2007, 12:43 PM, said:

Me.  It's a sweet combo.  Nice and straight or with a slight draw.  Good distance too.
Ping G20 8.5 - Protopype
Titleist 913H 17 - D+ White
Titleist 913H 21 - D+ White
Adams CMB 4-GW - KBS CTaper
SCOR 54 & 58
TaylorMade Ghost TM-770
WITB Link

#12 jedidan

jedidan

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23572
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

im glad you found your dream driver ;)  i actually played this driver and shaft combo in a 10* and yes its hella awesome, but dropping around a grand for a driver is something that is just too far out of reach for me.... congrats though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors