Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 5 votes

TM SDLR on the launch monitor

TM actually gets it right!

43 replies to this topic

#1 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3658
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I regard Taylormade as a marketing company first. Ping is my driver Mfg of choice; very consistent incremental innovation. I have not hit the SLDR on the course yet, but judging by my time on the launch monitor, this driver does not represent incremental innovation. It is markedly better than any driver that I have hit before.

Looks

The overall silver and charcoal grey is attractive, but not anything outstanding. It just looks like a serious functional product. Very understated for a TM product.

The Shaft

I hit the regular Speeder 57. The shaft felt stouter than the stock regular Phenom in the R1. However, the “made for” Phenom 55 seemed to have better feel. Based on about 25 hits, I would say that this Speeder 57 actually plays to flex. I don’t know if this is true, but someone at Fujikura told me that this is not a real speeder, but an older model with actual triax construction; as in an older “real” Fujikura. I was told that Taylormade actually spent a little more on shafts this time around to get it right, I swing around 97  to 102 mph when warmed up,  but I’m actually going to go with this club in a regular.I was concerned about the quality of the shaft because the “made  for” phenom was limp. By the way, the tour spec 6.3 speeder  in the TP version must be pretty stout.

Driver Comparison

I compared a 10.5 Titlelist with a regular Diamana to a SLDR 9.5 degree with stock regular. I picked a driver with a Diamana in it because I know and love that shaft. Of course, the Tittleist went higher, but best hits were around 240 on this monitor, The SLDR was consistently 20 yards longer. The trajectory was high and flat. The amazing thing about the SLDR was that every shot was almost the same. I picked up a regular R1 and a regular R1 TP for comparison. All drivers were consistently shorter by 15 to 20 yards. Feel is good, not great, but the driver is very, very solid and consistent. It felt like a very high MOI driver: very forgiving

Overall
I didn’t get into the adjustability at all and that will be a bonus, but this has to be the most solid and longest driver that I have hit. It is like no Taylormade that I have ever hit. I’m picking up  my 9.5 degree with stock regular on Friday. My Ping G25 with a regular “real” Phenom 50 is history.

Edited by mbradley, 05 August 2013 - 05:21 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Lobber

Lobber

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54700
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the review!

#3 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Easier to hit than the G25?

I will have to see that to believe it.

#4 Derek666

Derek666

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 260110
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

I think alot of people have had similar results, looking forward to trying it; cheers for the review.

#5 pingpring

pingpring

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130076
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

NIce review but you may want to hold on to the "history" comments until you've played on the course a few times. Just curious, why did you compare a 10.5 Titleist to a 9.5 SLDR and why didn't you compare your gamer G25 on the monitor?

I too am looking forward to hitting it and might even get one in the fall when they're $200.

Edited by pingpring, 05 August 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#6 mact3333

mact3333

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167991
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

So this driver is clearly longer than the R1?...kinda hard to believe...but I am paying attention as my driver SS is essentially the same as yours...I just got the R1 2 months ago and I am hitting that driver higher and longer than any driver I have hit in a long time...I have to use technique and technology as I am not as strong as i was 10 years ago.

#7 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1398

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Postnova6868, on 05 August 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

The MOI on the G25 is probably 60% higher then the SLDR which can't be much higher then 3000 due to the weight being so far forward.  WIth that said I look forward to hitting the SLDR this week.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#8 ROBOPTI

ROBOPTI

Major Winner

• 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15525
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

In terms of construction ONLY. (Although I'm sure some TMAG Kool-aider will refute this) ... There is NO WAY the SLDR is more forgiving or easier to hit ... With all that weight moved forward - The forgivness / MOI MUST BE much higher on G25 than SLDR - Just a matter of physics ....  

I am waiting for a review where somebody actually admits they didnt catch the center of the face - and post how much distance they lost - cuz I bet you do. THAT will be a real review. But on the center of the face / sweetspot ... I bet SLDR is a FREAK !!!.

Dont any TMAGrs get excited .. I am still geeked to try this ... just being real ... Dont get yur panties in a wad

#9 shakey

shakey

Soon to be VAPORized OvenWRX 2 Reject

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
GolfWRX Likes : 553

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Saw this thing today. I like the charcoal color so much better than the white. Got to hit it about three times. The feel IMO is way better than any of the last five TM drivers (maybe more as the last driver I liked was the r9).  I'm not the biggest TM fan, so other guys will have a different opinion on feel.

Like has been said, the stock shaft (Speeder 57) is pretty stout. The one I had felt closer to X than Stiff. I didn't get any numbers cause my simulator wasnt up and running yet, but it looked like it was coming off the face at a pretty high launch angle.

Little rep rid-bit. He said the SLDR has been producing better numbers for a wider range of swing speeds. In his words, the r1 worked better for faster swingers and not so well for slower speeds. The SLDR is working for either.
CT 2.0 11.5 w/Elements Chrome 6F5T
VR LTD 3 w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
CT 1.0 3 (21) Hyb w/KK Silver 80 S
VRS Forged 4-P w/NS Pro Prototype S
VR Forged Raw 52/58 w/Modus 120 S
Method Milled 11 Oven Proto

#10 Waterboy

Waterboy

A boy who loves water.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20281
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostROBOPTI, on 05 August 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

In terms of construction ONLY. (Although I'm sure some TMAG Kool-aider will refute this) ... There is NO WAY the SLDR is more forgiving or easier to hit ... With all that weight moved forward - The forgivness / MOI MUST BE much higher on G25 than SLDR - Just a matter of physics ....  

I am waiting for a review where somebody actually admits they didnt catch the center of the face - and post how much distance they lost - cuz I bet you do. THAT will be a real review. But on the center of the face / sweetspot ... I bet SLDR is a FREAK !!!.

Dont any TMAGrs get excited .. I am still geeked to try this ... just being real ... Dont get yur panties in a wad

You are spot on with your MOI statement. I think we were even told the moi decreased. It is certainly not the most forgiving driver out.

I hit a bunch off the toe.  I wish could say on purpose to see the distance loss, but it wasn't. It was probably a good 20yds shorter then on solid hits.  I had some long second shots.  So for me about 8% loss in distance.  

Might be different from person to person.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

The G25 is still  the straightest long  driver that I have hit. It will not, however, be anywhere near this long and I doubt if i'll have problems hitting fairways with this driver. I would think that the weighting being in the back would significantly contribute to the G25 having a higher MOI.

#12 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

View Postpingpring, on 05 August 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

NIce review but you may want to hold on to the "history" comments until you've played on the course a few times. Just curious, why did you compare a 10.5 Titleist to a 9.5 SLDR and why didn't you compare your gamer G25 on the monitor?

I too am looking forward to hitting it and might even get one in the fall when they're $200.

Just went with what was avaliable at the time. Didn't know that Roger Dunn would have a SLDR that they would let me hit.

#13 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postmact3333, on 05 August 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

So this driver is clearly longer than the R1?...kinda hard to believe...but I am paying attention as my driver SS is essentially the same as yours...I just got the R1 2 months ago and I am hitting that driver higher and longer than any driver I have hit in a long time...I have to use technique and technology as I am not as strong as i was 10 years ago.

The R1 is long.but this driver is more consistent. The R1 would be hard pressed to produce this agressive trajectory. I think that you will find that the R1 is a tweak of the R11. The SLDR is  definitely something different.I can't believe that I'm going to buy a Taylormade.

Edited by mbradley, 05 August 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#14 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostJ13, on 05 August 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

The MOI on the G25 is probably 60% higher then the SLDR which can't be much higher then 3000 due to the weight being so far forward.  WIth that said I look forward to hitting the SLDR this week.

I would agree that a weight backward club would have a stronger MOI, but this thing has a very strong and consistent energy transfer; it is different. I would like to know the MOI on this one also. I will say this. The track that the sliding weight rides on is large and deep and  it appears that a lot of weight has been moved to the perimeter. Wouldn' that significant affect MOI?

#15 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

I kinda understand where you are coming from. I really don't like Taylormade and I always thought their emphasis on CG forward was at the expense of MOI. The CG on this one is so close to the face and so low that the club is definitely easy up. I'm sure that you can hit it high on the face and get a serious tail of in performance, but once you hit it, youl'll see how consistent the energy transfer is.

#16 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

That's what I'm saying. Weight low and forward may be lower spin, but the MOI can't be nearly as high. There is always a trade-off.

#17 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

http://www.golfwrx.c...s/page__st__480

Post #506

OP and I have similar swing speeds.
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5º ~ AD DI
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Buttonback (A026140)

#18 gunmetal

gunmetal

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6904
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postmbradley, on 05 August 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

The G25 is still  the straightest long  driver that I have hit. It will not, however, be anywhere near this long and I doubt if i'll have problems hitting fairways with this driver. I would think that the weighting being in the back would significantly contribute to the G25 having a higher MOI.

How is the sldr longer than the g25?  If we're comparing apples to apples, they should be very similar in length.

#19 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Where is everyone hitting this thing? I went looking for it this weekend and came up empty.

#20 mbradley

mbradley

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

View Postgunmetal, on 05 August 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

View Postmbradley, on 05 August 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

How is the sldr longer than the g25?  If we're comparing apples to apples, they should be very similar in length.

No way! The lowest spinning driver that most have tested is the Ping Anser. That is a driver that is back weighted. For most high spinners, the anser is going to be longer. The SLDR is definitely low spin. The combination real low GC and high lauch with lower spin creates a longer driver. The energy transfer on this is going to be different if you believe that the maximum energy transfer is lower on the face where most hit the ball.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Postnova6868, on 05 August 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

That's what I'm saying. Weight low and forward may be lower spin, but the MOI can't be nearly as high. There is always a trade-off.

Exactly, can't dispute physics.  Honestly I would say if they get 3000 MOI out of the SLDR that would be good.  Again this is going to be a driver for the consistent ball striker.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#22 MisterLomez

MisterLomez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 267750
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postmbradley, on 05 August 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

No way! The lowest spinning driver that most have tested is the Ping Anser. That is a driver that is back weighted. For most high spinners, the anser is going to be longer. The SLDR is definitely low spin. The combination real low GC and high lauch with lower spin creates a longer driver. The energy transfer on this is going to be different if you believe that the maximum energy transfer is lower on the face where most hit the ball.

The SLDR is the lowest spinning driver I've hit. I've been looking for a new driver for the past couple of weeks and have hit every model of every brand with every shaft combination possible. I swing out of my shoes and was able to hit most of the newer drivers consistently carrying 290 or so and rolling past 300 (R1, Amp Cell, Covert, Anser -- pretty much everything BUT Titleist drivers for whatever reason). The problem is that my drives are spinning in the 3000rpm range.

Finally, yesterday, I went to Roger Dunn and picked up the SLDR 9.5 with a Diamana stiff shaft. First ball carried 310. Next ball carried 330 and rolled through the trackman screen and ended up at 361. I would never swing that hard on the course, but there is no question this driver added a good 30-40 yards of distance to my drive. The key was that for each of those drives the rpms were about 1200.

#23 subrosa

subrosa

Better at bowling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182760
  • Ebay ID:subbyrosa
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the length of the stock shaft in these? It would be very interesting to see how it compares to the R1/RBZ/etc.

#24 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostMisterLomez, on 05 August 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

The SLDR is the lowest spinning driver I've hit. I've been looking for a new driver for the past couple of weeks and have hit every model of every brand with every shaft combination possible. I swing out of my shoes and was able to hit most of the newer drivers consistently carrying 290 or so and rolling past 300 (R1, Amp Cell, Covert, Anser -- pretty much everything BUT Titleist drivers for whatever reason). The problem is that my drives are spinning in the 3000rpm range.

Finally, yesterday, I went to Roger Dunn and picked up the SLDR 9.5 with a Diamana stiff shaft. First ball carried 310. Next ball carried 330 and rolled through the trackman screen and ended up at 361. I would never swing that hard on the course, but there is no question this driver added a good 30-40 yards of distance to my drive. The key was that for each of those drives the rpms were about 1200.

Everything you said sounds absurd.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#25 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Weight further back increases MOI but it also increases gear effect, which increases curvature. The typical golfer uses that gear effect to find more fairways but for the better player it can be a different story.

#26 MisterLomez

MisterLomez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 267750
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostJ13, on 05 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Sounds absurd? Maybe. But it's all true.

I'll go back to Roger Dunn sometime in the next few days, duplicate the results, take a screenshot of all the data, and post it on here. I'll even try to get the sales guy who saw me do it (twice by the way) take a picture holding the results. And for the trouble you can send me a box of Pro V1's. Deal?

#27 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

For the trouble?  I'm sorry but 1200rpm spin?  Love to see these numbers.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#28 Sergio82

Sergio82

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48052
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostJ13, on 05 August 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the ball would fall out of the air with spin @ 1200.

#29 mjwidell

mjwidell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6181
  • Handicap:+1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

+1 on ball falling out of the sky at 1,200 rpms. The theme of this thread seems to be 'you can't argue with physics'.
TM SLDR 430 10.5* Rogue 70TX
Callaway 3Deep 13* Fuji TS 7.3X
Callaway Apex Pro 3-PW, Tour-V 120X
On a putter hunt
Fourteen RM12 52* and 58* DGS400

#30 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine 1200 spin going very far...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors