Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is the ideal driver spin rate/

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SCYB

SCYB

SCYB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24740
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Can someone please tell me if there is an ideal backspin rate for a driver at a 14 degree launch angle with a 105 to 110 mph swing speed? I have heard as low as 1200 rpm to 3400 rpm. What is correct and what really matters?
Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14575
  • Ebay ID:idrive400yards
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

I think 1200rpm is a tad bit too low and 3400rpm is at the high end, I beleive the optimal spin rate would be around 2400-2800rpm give or take 100

#3 FHal11

FHal11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21185

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

On a similar note, does anyone have a link or a chart showing ideal launch angles and spin rates for various clubhead speeds?  Thanks. . .

#4 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

FHal11, on May 3 2007, 08:05 PM, said:

On a similar note, does anyone have a link or a chart showing ideal launch angles and spin rates for various clubhead speeds?  Thanks. . .

I don't think spin rates should change according to swing speeds. The more spin=higher, less spin=lower, depends on what your looking for.

#5 FHal11

FHal11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21185

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

ideally, if trying to maximize distance, wouldn't someone with a higher swing speed have an optimal launch angle and spin rate lower than someone with a slower swing speed?  perhaps i'm misinformed, but everything i've heard has pointed toward this. . .

#6 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

i may be wrong also, but from what ive heard, spin is the killer when using the driver, to maximize distance, contact relative to sweet zone, clubhead speed and launch angle are key, and again I may be wrong, ive been wrong before and ill most likely be wrong again.

#7 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

FHal11, on May 3 2007, 08:05 PM, said:

I think this is what you're looking for:

Posted Image

However, I believe opinions and equipment are beginning to change to even make this 2 year old chart out of date.  Guys like Bubba Watson who launch the ball super high with scary low spin are changing minds about fitting.  

If you have a high ball speed and can launch the ball very high, low spin is the way to go.  Lower launch and ball speed might require more spin to generate some lift for the ball.  

It's not quite as cut and dry as charts like the one above would like to make it anymore.  It's about finding the correct range for your swing and maximizing things from there.

#8 idrive400yards

idrive400yards

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, tayylormadefan for the clarification and helping out FHal11. Like I said before, I've been wrong before and most likely wrong again.

#9 SCYB

SCYB

SCYB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24740

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:55 AM

taylormadefan,
Thanks for the info.
SCYB

#10 joey3108

joey3108

Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

• Charter Sponsors
  • 7,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

Check this link out!

http://www.golfwrx.c...=optimal flight

Joe

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors