Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 13 votes

GolfWRX TaylorMade SLDR Driver Fitting Sessions Review and Recaps

737 replies to this topic

#451 the_saint_siwa

the_saint_siwa

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41852
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

View Postc3wdd, on 31 July 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

I haven't been crazy about the acoustics of the TM drivers since the R9 460....Can anyone comment on the sound?   Historically in the past few offerings it's been too harsh for me.  I'm a quiet muted guy by nature :)

I believe one of the best playability feature of the SLDR (aside from the distance) is the sound!  SLDR sounds and feels AWESOME!  Wanna hear the sound?  Check out this link:

Edited by the_saint_siwa, 31 July 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#452 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Okay. So here's my complete biased review since I'm totally not a TMAG homer at all...  Lol

I got the chance to demo this club on a LM a couple of days ago at The Golfmart here in South SF. It was the TP version with the Motore Speeder TS 6.3 stiff, 9.5* head set to lower.

Sound:  excellent. They REALLY went back to their roots and hit a solid home run with the SLDR. Great sound. MUCH improved over that crappy TINK sound of the R1, R11, R11S. It's as close to the 510TP as they have some in my opinion.

Looks:  Great looking clubbed. Really like how it sets up behind the ball. The glossy mettalic grey finish looks sweet, along with the bright silver sliver on the back. Really looks nice.

Performance:  it's LOW spin. Think Superdeep with some forgiveness. Actually, that setup for me produced TOO low of spin. I'm talking less than 2000 rpm spin, which is not ideal for me. I was getting some solid ballspeed, approximately 160 or so, but my spin was too low, which is a rarity for TMAG drivers for me which are generally too HIGH spin for me.

I think people are gonna like this a lot. Quite a bit actually. It's not my cup of tea, although the feel was back to the classic TM and so are the looks too.

There... I gave TM a kudos. TheMoneyShot and CaesarPalache won't believe it when they read this.... But I did. LOL

Edited by golfware, 31 July 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#453 sbjinx

sbjinx

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54679
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postgolfware, on 31 July 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Okay. So here's my complete biased review since I'm totally not a TMAG homer at all...  Lol

I got the chance to demo this club on a LM a couple of days ago at The Golfmart here in South SF. It was the TP version with the Motore Speeder TS 6.3 stiff, 9.5* head set to lower.

Sound:  excellent. They REALLY went back to their roots and hit a solid home run with the SLDR. Great sound. MUCH improved over that crappy TINK sound of the R1, R11, R11S. It's as close to the 510TP as they have some in my opinion.

Looks:  Great looking clubbed. Really like how it sets up behind the ball. The glossy mettalic grey finish looks sweet, along with the bright silver sliver on the back. Really looks nice.

Performance:  it's LOW spin. Think Superdeep with some forgiveness. Actually, that setup for me produced TOO low of spin. I'm talking less than 2000 rpm spin, which is not ideal for me. I was getting some solid ballspeed, approximately 160 or so, but my spin was too low, which is a rarity for TMAG drivers for me which are generally too HIGH spin for me.

I think people are gonna like this a lot. Quite a bit actually. It's not my cup of tea, although the feel was back to the classic TM and so are the looks too.

There... I gave TM a kudos. TheMoneyShot and CaesarPalache won't believe it when they read this.... But I did. LOL

i always like reading reviews from non-OEM fans (didnt want to use homer or fanboy but you get my point).  I'm actually looking to try this bad boy out

Edited by sbjinx, 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM.

SLDR 460 - Fujikura Pro 63x
RBZ 19* - Fujikura TS
TM TP - CB 4-5, MC 6-PW
Odyssey Versa #7 CS
SM5 52* F & 58* K
WITB Link

#454 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1128

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Oh, I believe it.....  Lol

#455 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

So I got that going for me, which is nice

• 2,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182718
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

is this real life?

Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* Oban White
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diaman S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* 2 Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade 4-6 CB & 7-PW MC CT Lite
Taylormade Spider Mallet
Taylormade ATV 51* 55* 60*

#456 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postsbjinx, on 31 July 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

i always like reading reviews from non-OEM fans (didnt want to use homer or fanboy but you get my point).  I'm actually looking to try this bad boy out

Thx!  I have a true disdain for all things TMAG, but I did like the sound and feel of it.  I use to be a complete TM fanboy, but haven't been for a while now.

I think the TM guys will really like this head because to me, it's the first forgiving low spin head that they've made in a while. I don't think it's ground breaking or a paradigm shift in technology, but it definitely achieved a much improved sound and feel.

#457 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostCaesar Palache, on 31 July 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

is this real life?

Yeah amigo!!  LOL. Not don't get it all twisted. Not gonna go out and rock an all TMAG bag any time soon. LOL. But I liked. Given a solid fitting, I bet it might compete with my RFX.

But here's the thing though. I think some guys are gonna get this driver with the same loft they have, and may actually need more loft to get the spin up.

I saw some of those fittings and one guy was getting 40 yards of roll. WTH??  Who needs or wants 40 yards of roll??  Int my opinion, this driver needs to be hit outside big time. Everyone needs some spin to keep the ball straight and in the air. Just sayin'.

#458 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• 5,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 509

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

You guys who got these, did you end up going up/down in loft relative to what you were playing?
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#459 ROBOPTI

ROBOPTI

Major Winner

• 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15525
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

#460 golfnut5438

golfnut5438

Aces Up

• 1,307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39280
  • Ebay ID:golfnut5438
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postchickenpotpie, on 31 July 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

You guys who got these, did you end up going up/down in loft relative to what you were playing?

With the drop in spin I went up in loft.  10.5 head adjusted to 11*.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#461 webber

webber

Webber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7667
  • Ebay ID:tywebber
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have had a chance now to hit this on the range and the course.  Say what you want think what you want but this thing is a freaking beast.  Same shaft, same loft, same swingweight as my gamer (Ping i20) and I am hitting this new SLDR far!  It comes off with such low spin it just flies really flat.  You really have to make sure you tee it up and put a good swing on it apples to apples otherwise I HIGHLY recommend going up a little bit in loft.

The sound is great!

No bs.
SLDR 9.5 Speeder 6.3 TS X
XHot2 Pro 15 Aldila Tour Green 75 X
XHot2 Pro 20 Aldila Tour Green 75 X
Taylormade CB KBS Tour X
Mack Daddy 2 56C, 60U
Odyssey WHP #1

#462 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostROBOPTI, on 31 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Posted Image

Muah ha ha. Not hardly but it's a nice stick.

#463 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

• 2,560 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

View Postgolfware, on 31 July 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Who needs or wants 40 yards of roll??

Corey Pavin

Edited by Caesar Palache, 31 July 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Taylormade Spider Mallet

#464 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostCaesar Palache, on 31 July 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Corey Pavin

Touché!  Lol

#465 jon12

jon12

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25342
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Corey Pavin

LMFAO :busted_cop:

#466 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

• 2,560 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

View Postgolfware, on 31 July 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Corey Pavin

Touché!  Lol

I play 8* now but I ordered a 9.5* so we shall see what loft I'm at after getting on the launch monitor
Taylormade Spider Mallet

#467 jimpsycho

jimpsycho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89729
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think I should post some thoughts here real quick.  I played a round yesterday and hit the driver 12 times.  I didn't bring my best swing, but the times I connected it went further than I normally am on those holes.  I hit a few of them low on the face and they went far.  My best drives  with my previous gamer would not be as far as the SLDR.  I just need to remember to tee the ball higher as that is why I believe I am catching them lower on the face.

As a reminder, I was fit into an AD DI 6S at 44 7/8" which is identical to my current Anser.  

The jury is still out for me.  I am going to the range tonight to work on setup.  The feel of this club is still awesome, but if I don't hit it well, it may be time to go back to my gamer.

#468 Hairpie

Hairpie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4791
  • Ebay ID:harepy
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

View Postgolfnut5438, on 31 July 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Same here....

With the drop in spin I went up in loft.  10.5 head adjusted to 11*.

#469 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• 2,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

So now we have a Cally guy's point if view.  And he liked the SLDR.  And the Earth just skipped off it's axis for a bit.
TM SLDR 10.5* Driver Matrix XCon 5
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* Wood Fubuki AX
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid Fubuki AX
TM SLDR Irons 4 to AW, KBS C-Taper 90
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
TM xFT Wedges, 56* and 60*

#470 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138660
  • Ebay ID:Rebel420
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Has anyone tried this driver and found their current driver perform better for them?

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#471 Waterboy

Waterboy

A boy who loves water.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20281
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostRebel420, on 31 July 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Has anyone tried this driver and found their current driver perform better for them?

Might still be early for  that. I  knew my first time was different from what I was used to and needed some getting used to.

need a follow up soon

#472 rbilramz

rbilramz

Advanced

• 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123836
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Up.  From a 9.5 RBZ to a 10.5 SLDR.

#473 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138660
  • Ebay ID:Rebel420
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostWaterboy, on 31 July 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Might still be early for  that. I  knew my first time was different from what I was used to and needed some getting used to.

need a follow up soon
Reason I asked, is I tried one this evening.  Very nice driver.  Liked it... but wasn't completely blown away.
Sound was much better than any I've heard in a while.   Felt very soft off the face.
Looked very nice in person.   Only gripe I had, was to get a loft that worked for me, I couldn't get the face angle where I liked it ( I play at 8.75*, #2Open pos on the R1)
I did gain a few yards, but coming from an R1, the numbers were not huge.
A few tweaks of the R1, and I found myself hitting it a bet better and put up better numbers now with the R1. Again, not a full, fair, valid scientific comparison, as I did not try every shaft under the sun with it.
I did find myself slightly more accurate with the R1, but I would chalk that up to playing it for a couple of months vs. first time swinging the SLDR. To also be fair, I found the same issues with the Burner, RBZ and RBZ-Stg 2 drivers.   I do find I can put up some better numbers with these drivers, but the lighter heads don't agree with me

Again, not a bad driver at all, and if I hadn't just bought an R1 a few months ago, I probably would have bought the SLDR (and of course, went through a full, thorough fitting).  As it stands now, though, to me, it's not worth spending the $500, with only a few weeks left in the season with minimal gains. Add in the fact that i find that I would need time to adjust to the driver (other drivers have been more buy it, grip it, and rip it for me).   I"m sure I will revisit the idea next spring as well as any other drivers that may be released, but for now, I'm happy with what I have (somewhat... anyone have a stock R1 TP shaft they want to trade/sell cheap?).

Again, this isn't saying this driver is bad... just wasn't worth it to ME, at this time.   It is a very nice driver, looks, sounds and feels great! (and yes, I am looking at cotton balls for my R1 to quiet it up a bit!!).

...This further reinforces my belief that it is a great thing that TM is constantly changing and releasing new clubs.  This club is a winner for some who would may not have ever tried a TM driver.  Some TM guys are doing really well with it...and that is great!! But equally great is the fact that I was able to find a driver that fit me well this year (and was able to get it at the 'reduced' price!!)
Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#474 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yes and no. My fitted RFX/Oban KW 65 stiff is far straighter than the SLDR TP I tried.  Howeve I wasn't fitted into the SLDR so I can't pass judgment.

#475 ladahl

ladahl

Major Winner

• 4,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postgolfware, on 31 July 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Yes and no. My fitted RFX/Oban KW 65 stiff is far straighter than the SLDR TP I tried.  Howeve I wasn't fitted into the SLDR so I can't pass judgment.
Sure you can... But, don't.

BB 10.5*/BBV 11* Kiyoshi Gold 65 04
Callaway Big Bertha 16* Kiyoshi Gold
Callaway XHP2 20* & 23* F3 95S
Callaway Apex 5-A TT DG TI X100 SS
Odyssey Japan White Damascus Xi #9
MD2 54 T/S & 58 T/S/U/C MD2 TI S400
WITB Link

#476 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostGoldenhawk, on 31 July 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

So now we have a Cally guy's point if view.  And he liked the SLDR.  And the Earth just skipped off it's axis for a bit.

It's MUCH better to me than the R1 and R11S, but then again, that's a pretty low starting point in my mind.  Lol

Much better feel, although truth be told I think the Optiforce feels and sounds light years better. I love the muted feel of the Optiforce. Definitely TM's best feeling driver in years. No ear plugs needed. Lol

In my opinion, if you're already rocking a low spin bomber like the RFX, Anser and 913D3, then it won't do anything that those drivers already do.

#477 Dave Feldman

Dave Feldman

TM Hoarder

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124710
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Zach let me give the SLDR a try today and was very impressed.  Very soft feel but still very hot coming off the face.  Initially it was set to slight draw and I was hitting hooks, then I moved the weight port forward to about 3 clicks from the top and I was amazed at how much difference it made.  Nice high draws with the weight helping me keep the face from turning over too much.  Nice job TMAG.  I would say the only downside is they have given us too many great driver options this year!  Hard to believe but true.  Looks like I maybe having a record year with 3 new drivers in 2013.  LOL.

The Hoarder!

#478 Hookasaurus Rex

Hookasaurus Rex

Purveyor of fine turf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214763
  • Ebay ID:hokiegrass
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

For those who have tested the stock "speeder 57" shaft, how does it hold up?  Decent, or straight noodle like most made for deals.  To me, it looks like you have to go TP to get a legit shaft.  Soley my observation as of right now, but that is what it looks like on the surface...TIA.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro w/ UST Chrome 6F4T
TEE xcg6 13* 3wood
Titleist 913h 19* hybrid
Ping i25 4-UW CFS X
Ping Anser 54* and 58*
Ping Nome TR

#479 Zach Heusser

Zach Heusser

#insideTMAG

• Marshals
  • 3,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77
  • Handicap:pro

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostDave Feldman, on 31 July 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Zach let me give the SLDR a try today and was very impressed.  Very soft feel but still very hot coming off the face.  Initially it was set to slight draw and I was hitting hooks, then I moved the weight port forward to about 3 clicks from the top and I was amazed at how much difference it made.  Nice high draws with the weight helping me keep the face from turning over too much.  Nice job TMAG.  I would say the only downside is they have given us too many great driver options this year!  Hard to believe but true.  Looks like I maybe having a record year with 3 new drivers in 2013.  LOL.

The Hoarder!
Doc  I am glad to hear that you liked the SLDR. Sorry  I was to busy to hang, but I must say you have had a big year expanding your hoard with 3 new TMAG drivers!!!  Your WITB collection thread  is looking Good.
Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course
Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2014
Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012
Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University
My WITB

http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/

#480 bama11

bama11

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35819
  • Handicap:1.3
  • Ebay ID:TIDE11GOLF
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostROBOPTI, on 31 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Posted Image
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors