Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Non spike golf shoes question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've always worn spikes but recently won a pair of Footjoy Contour Casual spikes, yet I never pull the trigger and game them.  I play in the Northeast and fairly early in the morning, so I find for the first 6-9 holes, everything is wet (from morning dew or sprinklers?).

Anyways, has anyone had trouble playing non-spike golf shoes in the morning dew?  Did you find you have more/less traction than expected wearing them?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 OSKARJONES

OSKARJONES

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74309
  • Ebay ID:OSKARJONES
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I started wearing Ecco Biom hybrids. I play early mornings in wet grass. Traction is very good, no slipping so far. I don't generate a bunch of tourqe ....driver ss is 94-97.. if you use your legs a lot to generate club head speed I can see wet grass causing some problems.

#3 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

The only problem I've had with them in morning rounds is they can tend to fill up with the fresh grass clippings. Of course, so do conventional cleats.

The spikeless clear out much easier than traditional spikes.

But if you put both styles side by side with the treads full of clippings, I would say the cleated shoes might have the edge. If you're someone who tends to clear out clipping from you shoes, you may find you like the spikeless better.

#4 Golfingstoolie

Golfingstoolie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 260474
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I used to play in spikes but some knee problems make it more comfortable to play in spikeless ones (Travis Mathew Londons to be more specific) and I like playing in the early morning so I was worried at first. I use my legs a lot in my swing and get a decent amount of speed going into the ball but I have been beyond impressed with them.  Never had a slippage problem except on one weird side/downhill lie but I don't blame the shoes for that.

#5 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1188

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

All depends on your size and swing style.  I really go after the ball, play early in wet conditions, wear soft spikes and now and then still cope with my feet sliding.  Consequently, wearing shoes with no actual spikes is never going to happen for me.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#6 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

I wear the spikeless in the morning when the grass is wet for less clogging but as said the spike shoes have an edge for traction!!

#7 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the responses.  I do tend to go after the ball which doesn't help, but I guess the only way for me to really know is to play a round with them and see how it goes.  Maybe it will help me swing more within myself, haha.

#8 bmellisen

bmellisen

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131750
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

I am a higher swing speed player, but don't have a real violent action I guess.  I have played in rain and morning dew and have yet to slip once.  I play in True Proto's.

#9 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

Golf--Eat--Sleep--Repeat

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:Rodstergolf
GolfWRX Likes : 1260

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I love the spikeless shoes and have never had a problem with slipping or traction in wet conditions. I often walk in the first group out when dew is heavy.

Just make sure you get a waterproof spikeless shoe.
SLDR - Motore vc 6.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 913F - Diamana Blueboard 83X
Titleist 913 19* - GD Tour AD DI-95x
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW DGTI X100
Vokey 50, 54, 58 DGTI X100/S400
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#10 chiguy

chiguy

CALLAWRX2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125729
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

I've been playing withe Adicross for the last two years and have not had many issues with slipping. Sure, it happens every once in a while, though not any more than I would expect. I second the comments on the grass build-up on the bottom of the shoe. Though as others have mentioned, it does clean up a lot easier than with traditional spikes. You can simply tap the bottom with your club and the clumps should fall right out. I wouldn't say you'll suffer all that much with the spikeless in the morning rounds as far as traction. I will say however that the spikeless shoes I've played with are not all that waterproof. If I were playing regularly in the early morning with wet grass I would lean towards traditional spikes that are waterproof.

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 jmkenn0

jmkenn0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241175
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

I played in the rain saturday in Adicross's, didn't slip once - the only time I remember slipping recently was on a knob in the rough, but I think that was because I was out of balance more than anything.  I actually feel like I slipped more in soft spikes than I have in spikeless.

#12 Holein8

Holein8

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214851
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

No problems for me in adiCross, Puremotion or Crossflex here in wet and windy Scotland

#13 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Trues and vivobarefoots for me.  Play in all conditions with them (saturated, damp, dry, rock hard, etc.) and have not had a issue.  Maybe if I'm hoofing down a steep hill and its muddy I find myself being more cautious than but haven't slipped.  SS between 105 and 110
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#14 Kacee

Kacee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222403
  • Ebay ID:cucsat
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm gaming a pair of Adidas Adicross, spikeless... Never slipped, not even once. I play early in the morning, late afternoon, links style course, hills style course, whenever possible, wherever possible, I have played in a mild rain, in a downpour (totally soaked in less than 1 minute without umbrella, but I already on the 18th tee, so...)

So don't worry about spikeless shoes...

#15 jewofgolf

jewofgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20264
  • Ebay ID:tourgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

I personally slip in spikeless shoes once they wear a bit (2-3 months). I already have comfortable spiked shoes (kikkor) so Im sticking with them.

#16 saltcity

saltcity

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35794
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

I wear adicross and haven't had any slipping issues other than a few steep cart paths that were wet.
Spikes vs turf shoes - there is a difference, it's a matter of feel.

#17 6thFairway

6thFairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

The only time I ever really slipped in my Ecco Golf Streets was when trying to walk down a hill in the mud looking for a lost golf ball.

#18 zebrasinamerica

zebrasinamerica

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252854
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

I have footjoy Icon's that are spikeless and a pair of PUMA gtx i just picked up on here that are spikeless. My driver SS is 115-120 and my PW is 88ish. In wet conditions these are the first shoes a reach for as the soles stay SUPER clean as there is no cleats to clog up. I have never had a footing issue with spikeless what so ever.

#19 scfsales

scfsales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263356
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Ecco spikeless have great traction, those are the ones I would recommend.

#20 titleist_freak

titleist_freak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153685
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

I have worn multiple models from Puma, True Linkswear and Nike. The only model I have had a problem with slipping is the Nike Lunar Ascends, they were also the most uncomfortable.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors