Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Fujikura Z COM BW 75

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Fujikura Z COM BW 75 (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Make your opinion count!

1. 5 (best) (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:38 AM

From the Fujikura site........

The ZCOM is a very successful shaft designed to fit all different swing profiles in all head types.  From a traditional blind bore hosel to an extended bore thru hosel resulting in the same shaft bend profile regardless of the head technology

[attachment=129797:new_witb_011.jpg]

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:12 AM

Well itís been a few weeks now that Iíve received by Callaway FT-5 back from being Kwok-ed with the Fujikura Z COM BW75 shaft. Since the BW75 is only available in Japan or on the Tour, Iíve been asked a few times via PM to give a review of the shaft.  I donít consider myself much of a reviewer of any equipment because I always feel that I donít use most long enough to give a detailed long-term review.  Since Iíve had the request though Iíll attempt to give an overview of this shaft.

LOOKS:
The Z COM BW 75 shaft at first glance is like most FujikuraísÖsuper looking.  Iíve always been a fan of Fujikuraís shaft graphics and the BW75ís multiple ZCOMís descending from the butt and ending in a nice traditional gloss black are definitely eye catching and classic looking cool.  It gives a very solid and business look to a club.

PERFORMANCE/FEEL:
The BW75 Stiff shaft I have weighs in at 74grams and has a torque of 2.6.  Itís a high kick, low spin shaft.  Words and numbers everyone has heard before and seen attached to many a high-end shaft today.  Iíve played many high-end shafts (read it as expensive) from Ozik, Axiv, Accra, Fujikura and Graphite Design.  In my opinion, numbers and so called low spin, mid kick designs mean nothing to me.  The only thing that makes me like a shaft is my personal feel I get from swinging it.  Basically if the shaft doesnít feel right I donít care what the makers say itís supposed to play like or how darn expensive it is, it will get pulled and tossed in a box with the rest of my ex-shafts.  The simple reason for this is not every shaft was made to go in every head.  From my numerous shaft/club changes, I know that what I liked in a R7 Quad years ago wasnít going to work in a Cleveland Hi Bore.

I have worked with many club builders and the common theme I have with the shaft Iím looking for is that I want a stout shaft that I will not feel the head twisting all over the place as well as one that doesnít feel like a pipe.  I want to feel the shaft kick at impact yet I donít want to have it feeling like the heads hanging at my shoulders on the downswing or passing my hands at release.  I spoke to Joe Kwok a few times over the phone attempting to get him to understand what I wanted.  This is not the first driver Joeís done for me so he knew Ö.to put it simply againÖIím the three F'sÖFinicky, Flaky and F- it.  Finicky because I want so much from one shaft. Flaky because Iím not stuck on brands.  F-It because after hearing enough about a shaft I donít care about price. If I havenít tried it before and I heard it might work, Iíll go for it.  

Well Joe asked me what head I was playing at the moment. I told him it was an FT-5 with the stock Fuji.  The stock Fit On E 360 was too soft and lagged too much for me.  I also thought the head was twisting all over the place.  Like usual, Joe laughed at me and said he had the cure for my woes.  He suggested the ZCOM BW 75 that I hadnít tried yet.  Joe told me that it would be a good match up in the FT-5 and he could set it up perfectly for me.  As usual I was more then eager to say YES to whatever Doctor Kwok prescribes.  (Thereís me using my third F :()

Joe suggested that I go with a stiff shaft.  I usually play Extra Stiffs but Joe said heíd blind bore it, tip the shaft and have it play in between the stiff and extra stiff to give me the stoutness that I was looking for yet hopefully keep the feel I was looking for.  Well when Joe tells me he can do it, I donít ever doubt him.  Since he hasnít made a bad driver for me yet.

Iíve now played four rounds with the FT5/BW75 set up and have had over ten range sessions with it.  It took me about two range sessions to get the feel of the shaft.  Many guys hit a new club for the first time and fall in love with it.  Iím a little more finicky.  I can pick out glitches with many clubs.  The BW75 initially felt very stout and tight.  I could feel the kick and life that Joe had told me about but I wasnít getting the hot feel that a shaft can give a head.  This I blamed on the FT5 because anyone whoís ever hit one will definitely not say the face feels hot.  Something about the weird sound it gives off does not give a mental thought of hotness.  

My first round with the BW75 in the FT5 was very eye opening.  I hit 12 of 14 fairways.  I also drove over a Par 4 thatís eluded me from just driving in the past two years.  My father who had played with me said that the set up was tight in that I was hitting the fairways but didnít appear to be giving me consistent distance.  I chalked that up to me not knowing what to expect from each swing of the club.  At times I felt that the shaft was too loose and I could turn it over easily.  After more range sessions and a few more rounds, Iíve really got the feel of this shaft down.  

The BW75 shaft has a very smooth feel but not dead.  I can still feel a kick at impact, which I enjoy but itís a very clean smooth kick.  Iíve been getting a very nice mid-high trajectory that just seems to bore right through the air.  Best of all Iíve been getting a ton of roll which Iíve been lacking in my past driver set ups.  Even on miss hits, the ball seems to go forever.  A tribute to the FT-5 maybe...but Iím lead to believe itís the shaft because I didnít experience that roll in the stock set up.  

OVERALL:
First off...Thank you Joe Kwok.  You did your usual excellent job in recommending and then building my club.  Iím really pleased with this shaft/driver set up.  I wonít begin to tell you that this set up is longer then anything Iíve ever hit. If that were the case, with every shaft/driver change Iíve had, Iíd be hitting it over 500yards. :russian_roulette:  I will say that the result I have been getting has been very dependable and my confidence level at the tee box is very high.  The BW75 is a shaft that Fujikura needs to widely release to the open market in America.  People who would like a heavier shaft then the BW65 they offer would love it.  I know Iím very pleased with it and even though I am contemplating changing drivers at this moment, Iím leaning heavily towards sticking a BW75 in my next one.

#3 morganj

morganj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20741
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:21 AM

nice review.
i have been speaking to Joe about him building a driver up for me and this was a shaft he reccommended as well.

#4 pm hacker

pm hacker

Bloody Lil' White Ball.......

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Reid, I couldn't agree with you more about the Z COM 75BW Shaft.  You've been hitting some long fairway bombs that I haven't' even seen in your game before.  The best combo for you yet!!  Like they say...it's not the head, but it's the shaft that make the club work for you.  Now, you have me wanting to jump on the bandwagon and stick one of those bad boys in my driver too!!  Big props to J. Kwok for suggesting it.

Just a random question...what ever happened to the trademark green tape?  :drinks:  :D

#5 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

View Postpm hacker, on Apr 28 2007, 01:16 AM, said:

Reid, I couldn't agree with you more about the Z COM 75BW Shaft.  You've been hitting some long fairway bombs that I haven't' even seen in your game before.  The best combo for you yet!!  Like they say...it's not the head, but it's the shaft that make the club work for you.  Now, you have me wanting to jump on the bandwagon and stick one of those bad boys in my driver too!!  Big props to J. Kwok for suggesting it.

Just a random question...what ever happened to the trademark green tape?  :drinks:  :yes:

Thanks Russ...I have to agree after testing out that Tourstage 460 with Graphite Design Tour AD Quattro Tech today.....the TS needs one of these BW75's in it too.  After hitting 12 of 14 fw's with the FT-5 and just 8 today with the GD, I need to do something quick if I'm going to keep the TS any longer.  At least I can do a good comparison with my FT-5 to figure out which one will stay in the bag.  I love the feel of the TS head much more then the Ft-5 but it's an easy decision right now to play the one that hits more fairways.

As for the green tape.  I asked Joe to put some of that trademark flourescent green tape over the whole darn shaft but it's the one request he refused! :D

#6 joey3108

joey3108

Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

• Charter Sponsors
  • 7,601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:15 AM

I didn't want you to hit 13-14 FW, That is why i decided not to leave that green tape on the shaft.  :drinks:

THX!

joe

#7 gopack2

gopack2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 585

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

Well, Joe you were right. This shaft is a perfect fit. I've played to rounds with it and I have hit 18 out of 22 fairways and it is also one of the longest combos I've played as well. I have the BW 75 in a R& 460 TP at 44.75". It's an X-flex tipped 1/2". It feels really solid with some pop at impact. This is definitely the shaft for me.

#8 dpggolf

dpggolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49960

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I got a callaway ft-5 8.5 and was trying to narrow down my options on shafts got a great pull out fujikura zcom BW75 x flex and love it.  I am a big speeder fan and this shaft feels and performs better love it.  Not to stout and still workable.  have a 9.5 cleveland hibore xls tour with a speeder 757x and is just a board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors