Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why are ping i20s more consistent for me that G25s?

Game improvement Ping I20 G25 Irons

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Megadriver455

Megadriver455

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 256432
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have been to 3 different fitters trying out clubs.
I am coming from a set of Forged Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pros.

Trying mizuno, ok, callaway, ok, but I loved the feel of ping i20s. My dispersion was super tight vs any other club.
So I thought, how about more forgiveness like G-25?  Well I did not get the consistency I got with the i20s and I am not sure why. I hit both a ton, and they were set up correctly. I thought the 25s were supposed to be easy and forgiving.
X flex, 1/2 long, 2' upright. I swing a 7 with about 95mph head speed.
I really wanted the game improvement and I am not in the "recommended" handicap zone for the i20s yet I shot them way better. Will they bite me?

Anyone here shot both who can tell me why The G25s may not have worked out for me?

Edited by Megadriver455, 15 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golftejas

golftejas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131694
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

When I went thru a Ping nFlight fitting last year, I got just the opposite result - - tighter dispersion with G20 vs. i20.  The fitter mentioned that, in his experience, the i20's seemed to perform a bit better for higher swing speed players (you're 95 with a 7i while I'm 85 with a 6i).  For me, the ball speed was faster off the G20 than the i20.  Shaft, club balance, and where you hit it on the face (toe, heel, high,low) may all have influenced your results as well.  I've played both G20 and i20, and for me the G20 is noticeably easier to hit / more forgiving - - my misses tend to be to the toe or a bit thin.  But it sounds like the i20 may be a great fit for you.

#3 gopherguts

gopherguts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157681
GolfWRX Likes : 255

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostMegadriver455, on 15 June 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Trying mizuno, ok, callaway, ok, but I loved the feel of ping i20s. My dispersion was super tight vs any other club.
So I thought, how about more forgiveness like G-25?  Well I did not get the consistency I got with the i20s and I am not sure why. I hit both a ton, and they were set up correctly. I thought the 25s were supposed to be easy and forgiving.
I really wanted the game improvement and I am not in the "recommended" handicap zone for the i20s yet I shot them way better. Will they bite me?

Anyone here shot both who can tell me why The G25s may not have worked out for me?

Best to re-do the tests on a number of different days.

Even the best players don't have the same swing all the time and it's certainly possible that your swing on THAT particular day was more suited to, and simply worked better with, the I20s.

I tried all the different combos (shafts, lies, etc) on a number of different days. The vast majority of the time the G's worked better for ME. Of course those were the G20s, not the G25s. I haven't seriously hit the G25s yet but the couple of times I did I couldn't hit them for beans,,,,,,,,

Edited by gopherguts, 15 June 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#4 golftejas

golftejas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131694
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

BTW . . . . . I'm currently playing G20s, and just hit the G25s for the first time today off grass on the range.  My experience was that I hit the G25s every bit as good as the G20s, and probably slightly better.  I'd agree with gopherguts to try the G25s and i20s multiple times, if possible.

#5 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Could be the offset and wider sole on the G25s vs the I20s.

#6 Theboogeyman

Theboogeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209389
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

The same thing happened to me. Maybe you were just more comfortable with the shape of the i20

#7 Megadriver455

Megadriver455

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think you all have valid points. That certainly doesn't make my decision easy lol!
I went on two different days and i20s had the best dispersion, 15 yards at 170ish carry, but I may go back in a week without hitting anything and try again.
Every time, however, I have been +1/2 length, +2 upright and an X flex or projectX 6-6.5 so at least those are consistent measurements.
I think you guys may be on to something regarding being used to that type of clubhead. What scared me about the i20s was the recommended handicap range for them is way below what I am now, and closer to what I used to be when I played often which was an 8.5. Now I'm at an 18ish but I'll get better quick.

#8 ATLGolfwrx

ATLGolfwrx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231795
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

Maybe there's a golf pro inside of you waiting to burst out?

#9 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 1001

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I've got an arsenal of different irons to play with, including (currently) i5's and G25's, and the G's are flat out more forgiving than the i's.  The i's are fine on those good ball striking days, but when you are off, they will punish you.  Had several shots the other day with the i's where I thought to myself that I lost yards because of a toe hit.  The shorter blade length gives the sensation that you can really aim at the flag sometimes, but when you count results on the course, the G's win.

The i's are better if you want to work the ball a lot, particularly high and low.  G's tend to go high.  Both are as accurate as your swing is in terms of sideways control.

#10 Megadriver455

Megadriver455

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostNessism, on 16 June 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

The i's are better if you want to work the ball a lot, particularly high and low.  G's tend to go high.  Both are as accurate as your swing is in terms of sideways control.

I do like to work the ball left, right, high and low, trap it for spin, etc.  my side spin with the G25s was +700ish, i20s ranged -65 to -375 ish. Baby draw.  I think if I hit high I would be messed up by the loss of distance and affected more by wind..  I will have to compare a bit more. Really wish I could just hit them on a course or real range to decide.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 1001

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostMegadriver455, on 16 June 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I do like to work the ball left, right, high and low, trap it for spin, etc.  my side spin with the G25s was +700ish, i20s ranged -65 to -375 ish. Baby draw.  I think if I hit high I would be messed up by the loss of distance and affected more by wind..  I will have to compare a bit more. Really wish I could just hit them on a course or real range to decide.

Not a fan of launch monitors telling the story when it comes to accuracy.  As for an 18 handicap on the way to 8 goes, that's G territory all the way.  I'm an 8 currently and have no interest in giving away strokes needlessly.  The i's can work the ball easier, but not sure why an 8 would want to work the ball often anyway.

#12 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have the G25 but I am inclined to tell you to get the i20.

It sounds like you are getting back into the game and were a very good ball strker in the past. Your present handicap has no bearing on how good of an iron player you are, just the fact that you can and do like to work the ball tells alot about your ability.

The i20 are as easy and forgiving an iron in the player category as can be. If you like the looks of them better and they are working better for you they might just be the better club for you.

Find a course that sells Ping and see if they have demo irons. Try both out on the range off of grass then make your decision.

I still have a set of Apex Edge Pro, great irons. But those and all the other forged player irons are gathering dust in the basement since I got the G25s. It did take some getting use to but I can get away with murder and still shot good scores.

Good Luck

Edited by Gbyeball, 16 June 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#13 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

It took me weeks to adjust to the G20 review set Ping sent me before I could give them a fair review. My eye does not adjust easily to offset, and I'm used to looking at something smaller behind the ball.

Once past that, forgiveness was crazy.

My first new set of irons. What great irons they were.
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#14 Megadriver455

Megadriver455

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

I tried again today, just couldn't resist. Compared at two different vendors.
Ordered i20s. CFS Xflex, yellow dot, mid grip, +1/2 length.
I am going to play a 9 hole course 2x when I get them. Once with my old set and once with the i20s.
Will be interesting.

#15 robeans

robeans

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188558
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Funny this came up.  

I'm a mediocre golfer, maybe a 20 if I kept a handicap.  When I hit it good, it's real good but my irons can be really inconsistant.  I hated my R11 irons so I decided to go in a get fitted for some G20's or 25's at our big Ping Dealer who has the iFlight/Trackman setup.  

After a really good fitting I found the i20 to be the best most consistant iron.  I was hitting high and towards the toe and lost only maybe 5-7 yards.  The 25 was loosing 7-10 yards on the same miss hit.

The dispensation was also much tighter.

Thanks Brandon at Puetz Golf Seattle.

#16 gopherguts

gopherguts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

If you're a "sweeper" the I20s with their narrower sole might work better. If you're more of a "digger" the G25s might work better because of their wider sole.

Just a thought.

#17 Megadriver455

Megadriver455

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hit my i20s today. I have always been a power draw hitter, now I'm a slight fade. Starts straight then at apogee it starts leaking about 10 yards right. Acceptable to pounce on the greens.

#18 judgemartin

judgemartin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36437
  • Ebay ID:judge46
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Can't tell you why, but I can tell you i'm playing i20's.  I bought a set of G25's, same shaft and color code as the i20's, played them for one round, boxed them up and sold them.  Went back to playing the i20's.  For me, the i20's are much better.  Don't know why, but it's a fact.

#19 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

Wish I would have made the r a capital R

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191214
  • Ebay ID:winter4752
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I20's are one of the best set of clubs from the driver, woods, hybrids, irons, and even the wedges. It's hard to find a better set than these. I believe people will be talking about these like they do the eye 2's for years to come.
10* G25 Driver, Tour AD DI 6 Black
14.5* X2 Hot 3 Deep, Tour Green
3 & 4 G25 Irons, KBS Tour
5 - LW I25 Irons, KBS Tour
37" Counterbalanced Scottsdale

#20 obsessed_golfer

obsessed_golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6021
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

What really matters is how they play on the course......recommended handicap levels and fittings are just that.....recommendations.  You have to play a club to really know if it is right for you.  Good luck with the i20s.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 gopherguts

gopherguts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostMegadriver455, on 21 June 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Hit my i20s today. I have always been a power draw hitter, now I'm a slight fade. Starts straight then at apogee it starts leaking about 10 yards right. Acceptable to pounce on the greens.

:blink:

#22 Megadriver455

Megadriver455

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

View Postgopherguts, on 22 June 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Really weird. Launch monitor had me as a draw, but real world was fading a bit. I'm ok with a fade and 165 carry on a 7 iron.
Especially when the Mizuno guys were doing a club fitting and had me try a few of their clubs and shafts for comparison. I loved the feel of the 64's, but my i20 7i matched that 6i swing for swing with the same landing and flight. That was CFS X on ping vs KBS Tour C Taper and X100 DGs.
The pings did feel hard by comparison.

View PostMegadriver455, on 21 June 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

:blink:

Also tagged with Game improvement, Ping, I20, G25, Irons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors