Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Rules Question: hit a provisional ball a second time?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OK_Golf

OK_Golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59380
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hello Wrxers,

I have a rules question regarding playing a provisional ball.  Here's my situation:

I hit a tee ball that I'm not sure I'll be able to find, so I hit a provisional tee ball (an aside, I hit the second just as bad and in the same general location).  while searching for the balls, I find the provisional ball first.  I play it.  Then I find the original ball.

Can I declare my second shot with the provisional ball as "provisional"?  If did declare the second shot as provisional, can I then play my original ball, as it lies, and be hitting my second shot?

Thanks,
OK_Golf

WITB
Driver: Ping G20, 8.5*, stock tour Stiff
3 wood: TaylorMade SLDR TP, stock TP stiff, 15*,
Hybrids: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18* & 23*
Irons: Callaway X hot pro 5 iron; Callaway X forged (2013) 6-PW
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 51* and 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Nike Unitized Techno

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

300 YARD DRAWS AND 10 LB HOOKS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 1013

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Did the second shot on your provisional ball come to rest past your original ball? I believe that if it did the provisional is the ball in play.

#3 Ger21

Ger21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237191
  • Ebay ID:notoneleft
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Once you play the provisional, there's no going back. It becomes the ball in play from that point.
Nike VR Pro LE 10.5 RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro LE 3W RIP Phenom 80S
Nike VR Pro LE 5W RIP Phenom 80S
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW DG S300
Nike VR Pro 52/10, VR Forged 58/10
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

#4 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 6098

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostGer21, on 07 June 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Once you play the provisional, there's no going back. It becomes the ball in play from that point.

This is not true.  If your provisional ended up shorter than where you think your original lies, you can hit and keep hitting your provisional until you get to where your original is apt to be per 27-2b:

b. When Provisional Ball Becomes Ball in Play
The player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he makes a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in playunder penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1).

If the original ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, the provisional ball becomes the ball in play, under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1).

Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball, that has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (Rule 18-1), or is in an obstruction (Rule 24-3) or an abnormal ground condition (Rule 25-1c), the player may proceed under the applicable Rule.

Edit:  though in the op's case, it sounds like when he played that particular provisional his original had to be abandoned due to its location.

Edited by Sawgrass, 07 June 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#5 nicoy3k

nicoy3k

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190910
GolfWRX Likes : 394

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

if you're not playing a tournament its 100% ok to just hit your original ball. During casual play you hit provisional even when you think there is a decent chance of finding your first ball. Why? Because it speeds up play.

#6 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 6098

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Postnicoy3k, on 07 June 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

if you're not playing a tournament its 100% ok to just hit your original ball. During casual play you hit provisional even when you think there is a decent chance of finding your first ball. Why? Because it speeds up play.

You are providing your personal permission for the OP to break the rule after he asks a rules question?

Do you think that was what he was after?

Edited by Sawgrass, 07 June 2013 - 11:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors