Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Different rates for International tourists?

international green fees

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FatSlice

FatSlice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119266
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have been checking out some courses around the world, toying with the fantasy of a far-flung golf vacation.  What I found in one place in New Zealand is that they had pricing for unaffiliated golfers from their own country (New Zealand) and much higher pricing for "International" golfers.  I was kind of shocked, actually.

http://www.gulfharbo...ComeFromCat=120

Thank goodness places like Disneyland, Arzak, stops on the Route du Vin, etc., do not stick it to foreign visitors.

Is this normal?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 mctrees02

mctrees02

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116510
  • Handicap:5ish
  • Ebay ID:mctrees02
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

This is how Torrey Pines, Harding Park, Presidio, Bethpage Ted/Black and others are. They have differing rates for city, county, or even state residents vs the tourists. They view tourists as playing one time whereas they want the repeat locals to keep their tee sheets full.  

Even Pebble Beach sells a membership card that gives 1/2 off rates at Spyglass, Spanish, and Del Monte along w/ restaurant discounts. It's geared towards the locals to keep business flowing during slower travel periods.

#3 FatSlice

FatSlice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119266
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postmctrees02, on 29 May 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

This is how Torrey Pines, Harding Park, Presidio, Bethpage Ted/Black and others are. They have differing rates for city, county, or even state residents vs the tourists. They view tourists as playing one time whereas they want the repeat locals to keep their tee sheets full.  

Even Pebble Beach sells a membership card that gives 1/2 off rates at Spyglass, Spanish, and Del Monte along w/ restaurant discounts. It's geared towards the locals to keep business flowing during slower travel periods.

I don't know of a single U.S.  golf course that charges more for an International visitor than they do for a domestic out-of-state one.  Not Torrey, not Harding, not Bethpage.  And the Duke's Club membership is available for purchase by anyone, including foreigners, at the same price as a local would pay:  http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/del-monte-golf-course/membership

#4 mctrees02

mctrees02

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116510
  • Handicap:5ish
  • Ebay ID:mctrees02
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

New Zealand doesn't have 50 states. Thus they charge their "out of area" guests more in the same way that some US courses do.  I'm aware anybody can buy the Duke's card. I own one and live in Texas.  Common sense tells you though that its geared towards the local for a number of reasons.

Edited by mctrees02, 30 May 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#5 hebsan

hebsan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103660
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Courses here in Hawaii have two rates: Kama'aina (local) or Visitor.  There is no distinction between Int'l or Domestic visitor.

#6 Bronco01

Bronco01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143985
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostFatSlice, on 29 May 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

I have been checking out some courses around the world, toying with the fantasy of a far-flung golf vacation.  What I found in one place in New Zealand is that they had pricing for unaffiliated golfers from their own country (New Zealand) and much higher pricing for "International" golfers.  I was kind of shocked, actually.

http://www.gulfharbo...ComeFromCat=120

Thank goodness places like Disneyland, Arzak, stops on the Route du Vin, etc., do not stick it to foreign visitors.

Is this normal?
I live in New Zealand and I'm embarrassed but I know this happens.  A couple of years ago I was playing at a nice course in Auckland (wont name it) & met a very nice couple from the USA who had paid $200 each to play the course.  I think I had paid $40 as a members guest but would have been $60 without the member.

I have had a couple of golf holidays in Australia (Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast/Sydney & Melbourne).  I could not believe the fantastic quality & choice of golf courses in Australia.  I played Coolum (where they played this years Australian PGA championship) for $60 including cart.  No one bothered asking where I was from.  This happened pretty much at every course I played in Australia.

I had the same experience in the USA (played Eagle Vines in Napa Valley and Robinson Ranch near LA).

Unfortunately I think both USA and Aussie have many many good resort type courses competing for players, keeping the prices competitive.  Here in NZ we have very few resort courses and there is also a bit of snobbery in play.
Titleist 910 D3 (9.5/A1) Proforce V2
Titleist 910 Fd (15/D4) Project X 8C4
Adams XTD-Ti (20)
Mizuno MP64 (4-6) MP69 (7-pw)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
Mizuno MP-T4 (50&54)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors