Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Aldila Trinity vs. Aldila RIP'D NV

Aldila

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

    Certified Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
  • Joined: 06/13/2012
  • Location:TN
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

How does the Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft compare to the Aldila Trinity 65-R shaft? Are they similar? About the same? I have a uDesign Callaway Razr Fit Extreme that was supposed to come with the Aldila Trinity Black White shaft in regular flex. It came with the green and black standard Aldila Trinity shaft. So Callaway was supposed to send the correct shaft but instead sent the Aldila RIP'D NV shaft?

Callaway X Hot 10.5* driver
Callaway X Hot 15* 3 wood
Callaway X Hot 19* 3 & 22* 4 hybrid
Callaway Diablo Forged 5-PW AW SW irons
Odyssey ProType 2-Ball 34" putter
Callaway X Forged 60* wedge

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Both the 'normal' Trinity and Rip'd NV's are green and black so just because it's green and black doesn't make it a Rip'd NV.  Does the shaft labeling say Trinity or Rip'd NV?

#3 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

    Certified Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
  • Joined: 06/13/2012
  • Location:TN
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Stuart. Let me give a little background on why I'm asking. I won one of the Callaway uDesign Razr Fit Extreme drivers in the giveaway here on GolfWRX. The driver I picked out was supposed to come with this shaft:
Aldila Trinity Black White regular flex shaft
Posted Image

Instead it came with this shaft:
Aldila Trinity Black Green shaft regular flex
Posted Image

It really looks odd with the red and black driver head and red and black grip, so I asked Callaway if I could get the shaft that I specified in my entry. I got a box with this shaft in it yesterday:
Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft
Posted Image

I'm just curious if the RIP'D NV will play about the same as the Trinity I was expecting.
Callaway X Hot 10.5* driver
Callaway X Hot 15* 3 wood
Callaway X Hot 19* 3 & 22* 4 hybrid
Callaway Diablo Forged 5-PW AW SW irons
Odyssey ProType 2-Ball 34" putter
Callaway X Forged 60* wedge

#4 aidanthomson

aidanthomson

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94418
  • Joined: 09/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

The Rip'd NV you were sent looks like the shaft that came with the Razr Fit UDesign. I think it is the same as the made for Callaway shaft in the Razr Fit just in a different color.  I have the Trinity in my driver 3 wood and 5 wood. It is a high launch medium spin shaft. It is a real shaft and not a made for.

#5 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification - so there are three shafts involved, not two  (black trinity, green trinity, and black rip'd nv).

That fact that the Rip'd NV doesn't have the standard coloring will add to the confusion.  Callaway used a 'made for' Rip'd nv in the razr fit line that was black w/ red accents and was extremely different from the normal Rip'd NV.   The fact that the one you got has custom coloring (just black) means it could be either the 'made for' version or the real one.  Might have to ask callaway CS to find out for sure.

Now to answer the question, the real Rip'd NV is a little more tip stiff and has a lower torque than the Trinity.  Might launch a bit lower and feel a little more boardy.  I think it is also a few grams heavier than the Trinity but that depends on the flex.

The 'made for' Rip'd NV was very tip soft  (whippy) and a much higher launching shaft.  Very different from either the Trinity or the real rip'd nv.   Probably softer in flex overall as well but it's hard to tell with the extremely soft tip section

For most people, a few swings on the range comparing the two should tell you if it's the real one or the made for rip'd nv.

You may have gotten the green trinity if Callaway was having stock/inventory issues with the black version (since it's made only for the callaway udesign clubs).  They might have sent you the black rip'd nv because it was the only black shaft they had available to match your color request - but that's just a guess.

Edited by Stuart G., 15 May 2013 - 06:12 AM.


#6 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

    Certified Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
  • Joined: 06/13/2012
  • Location:TN
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I assume you are right about them being out of the black white Trinity shaft. But it would be nice if that's the case for someone to just tell me that. Communication has been horrible so far with this thing. It does seem to me that the RIP'D shaft is a little more whippy than the Trinity. I may just take the driver to one of the golf stores and see if I can get fitted for the correct shaft for me.
Callaway X Hot 10.5* driver
Callaway X Hot 15* 3 wood
Callaway X Hot 19* 3 & 22* 4 hybrid
Callaway Diablo Forged 5-PW AW SW irons
Odyssey ProType 2-Ball 34" putter
Callaway X Forged 60* wedge

#7 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

Don't hesitate to call Callaway CS back-up.  They might make mistakes from time to time but they do really want to make things right.

#8 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,966 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
  • Joined: 08/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1385

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

Just use the Trinity because it'll likely be more true to flex, not that there's a standard. The shaft they sent you is the made-for from the Razr Fit and it is very soft to flex. But if you like how it feels, give it a shot, and maybe have someone tip trim it a little to tighten it up. The Trinity is actually a pretty nice shaft, IMO.
Cobra BC Pro 8.5*, Graphite Design DI-7
TEE CB5 15*, Fuji Rombax P95
Adams S9031 19*, Fuji Rombax 8D07
TEE CB Pro-h, Bridgestone J40 DPC
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, Jaws 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#9 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

    Certified Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
  • Joined: 06/13/2012
  • Location:TN
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostPuppetmaster, on 15 May 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Just use the Trinity because it'll likely be more true to flex, not that there's a standard. The shaft they sent you is the made-for from the Razr Fit and it is very soft to flex. But if you like how it feels, give it a shot, and maybe have someone tip trim it a little to tighten it up. The Trinity is actually a pretty nice shaft, IMO.

I did play 18 yesterday. I used my old Big Bertha Diablo on the front and the Razr Fit on the back. I do like the Trinity shaft in it. It just looks odd. My buddy kept calling it the Christmas club. I guess I shouldn't care what it looks like as long as it hits good, but I won this thing in a contest where you were supposed to design a club like you want it to look (hence the uDesign name) and that's not what I got. Now if the shaft I picked is not available, why not tell me that in an email? Heck, why not reply to my emails in a resonable time frame? I don't know, I'm just disappointed in the whole handling of it all I guess.
Callaway X Hot 10.5* driver
Callaway X Hot 15* 3 wood
Callaway X Hot 19* 3 & 22* 4 hybrid
Callaway Diablo Forged 5-PW AW SW irons
Odyssey ProType 2-Ball 34" putter
Callaway X Forged 60* wedge

#10 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,966 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
  • Joined: 08/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1385

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postnuthin but a hacker, on 15 May 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostPuppetmaster, on 15 May 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Just use the Trinity because it'll likely be more true to flex, not that there's a standard. The shaft they sent you is the made-for from the Razr Fit and it is very soft to flex. But if you like how it feels, give it a shot, and maybe have someone tip trim it a little to tighten it up. The Trinity is actually a pretty nice shaft, IMO.

I did play 18 yesterday. I used my old Big Bertha Diablo on the front and the Razr Fit on the back. I do like the Trinity shaft in it. It just looks odd. My buddy kept calling it the Christmas club. I guess I shouldn't care what it looks like as long as it hits good, but I won this thing in a contest where you were supposed to design a club like you want it to look (hence the uDesign name) and that's not what I got. Now if the shaft I picked is not available, why not tell me that in an email? Heck, why not reply to my emails in a resonable time frame? I don't know, I'm just disappointed in the whole handling of it all I guess.

You have a point. They usually have great customer service. I think you should still get what you were promised, whether you paid for it or not. See if you can get someone more senior on the phone to get you the black and white Trinity that you were supposed to get.

Cobra BC Pro 8.5*, Graphite Design DI-7
TEE CB5 15*, Fuji Rombax P95
Adams S9031 19*, Fuji Rombax 8D07
TEE CB Pro-h, Bridgestone J40 DPC
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, Jaws 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'd recommend giving them a call instead of using the e-mail.

#12 TomWishon

TomWishon

    Major Winner

  • Sponsors
  • 2,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 1175

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

View Postnuthin but a hacker, on 14 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

How does the Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft compare to the Aldila Trinity 65-R shaft? Are they similar? About the same? I have a uDesign Callaway Razr Fit Extreme that was supposed to come with the Aldila Trinity Black White shaft in regular flex. It came with the green and black standard Aldila Trinity shaft. So Callaway was supposed to send the correct shaft but instead sent the Aldila RIP'D NV shaft?

I can give you the more exact comparison between these two shafts.  If you haven't seen this type of shaft comparison before on some of my posts on WRX, the graph and data chart represent full length stiffness measurements of the shafts.  This allows us to more accurately compare the stiffness of any two shafts so we can know how much they differ and where on the shaft they differ.  On the data chart, the measurements are done at 41" up from the tip, then 36" and so on down to 11" up from the tip.

Here's the comparison and explanations are below that:

RIP'd NV vs Trinity.JPG

from the butt down to the upper center of the shaft, as designated by the 41 and 36 measurements, the two shafts are very close to being the same.  Even that 8 difference at the 31 measurement position is not different enough to really be significant.  This means the two shafts do have the same swing speed rating.  But then in the center to tip section, the shafts start to differ enough to bring about a little performance difference.  

The Trinity becomes softer in the center to tip section than is the RIP'd NV.  What this means is that if you have a pretty decent sensitivity to the bending feel of a shaft, the Trinity could bring about a feeling through the downswing that it is very slightly softer in stiffness.   If you have a late release, the softer tip section of the Trinity in the 21 and 16 measurement positions is fairly big, so that could bring about an increase in launch angle and spin, with a little bit more flexible feel through the ball.  

FYI, from these tip section measurements on the two shafts, neither one is considered to be even close to being tip stiff in design.  Tip section measurements that range in the area of 320/350/770 are considered to be more toward being tip flexible while tip section measurements in the area of 360/500/800 are considered to be on the border between tip medium and tip firm but not even close yet to being tip stiff.

So fitting wise, you are looking at shafts which are basically designed for a golfer with a 70-80 or 75-85 mph driver clubhead speed who has an average level of downswing force, and with a midway to only very slightly later release.  Of course, as is always the case in shaft fitting, there will always be golfers outside these swing descriptions who will like the shaft as well as some who are dead in the middle of these swing characteristics who may not like the shaft.  


TOM

#13 3eagles18

3eagles18

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40317
  • Joined: 10/03/2007
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

I bought a new Callaway Razr Fit 5-metal with the Callaway OEM shaft that TGW was closing out. I then bought the Trinity shaft only (3-metal length) off of Ebay. I paired these together to regain fairway length with a higher launch, flight and carry. I am 65 and have difficulty getting a 3 higher off the deck. The Trinity is definitely a softer tip that the NV which I play in my TM Rescue Mids. I probably could have gone the S route instead of R with the Trinity but so far I like what I've seen on the range and practicing on the course after hours. The launch is higher and I still get the roll out like a 3. The Trinity is far superior to say an Aldila NVS.

#14 addichen

addichen

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109983
  • Joined: 06/24/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostTomWishon, on 15 May 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

View Postnuthin but a hacker, on 14 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

How does the Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft compare to the Aldila Trinity 65-R shaft? Are they similar? About the same? I have a uDesign Callaway Razr Fit Extreme that was supposed to come with the Aldila Trinity Black White shaft in regular flex. It came with the green and black standard Aldila Trinity shaft. So Callaway was supposed to send the correct shaft but instead sent the Aldila RIP'D NV shaft?

I can give you the more exact comparison between these two shafts.  If you haven't seen this type of shaft comparison before on some of my posts on WRX, the graph and data chart represent full length stiffness measurements of the shafts.  This allows us to more accurately compare the stiffness of any two shafts so we can know how much they differ and where on the shaft they differ.  On the data chart, the measurements are done at 41" up from the tip, then 36" and so on down to 11" up from the tip.

Here's the comparison and explanations are below that:

RIP'd NV vs Trinity.JPG

from the butt down to the upper center of the shaft, as designated by the 41 and 36 measurements, the two shafts are very close to being the same.  Even that 8 difference at the 31 measurement position is not different enough to really be significant.  This means the two shafts do have the same swing speed rating.  But then in the center to tip section, the shafts start to differ enough to bring about a little performance difference.  

The Trinity becomes softer in the center to tip section than is the RIP'd NV.  What this means is that if you have a pretty decent sensitivity to the bending feel of a shaft, the Trinity could bring about a feeling through the downswing that it is very slightly softer in stiffness.   If you have a late release, the softer tip section of the Trinity in the 21 and 16 measurement positions is fairly big, so that could bring about an increase in launch angle and spin, with a little bit more flexible feel through the ball.  

FYI, from these tip section measurements on the two shafts, neither one is considered to be even close to being tip stiff in design.  Tip section measurements that range in the area of 320/350/770 are considered to be more toward being tip flexible while tip section measurements in the area of 360/500/800 are considered to be on the border between tip medium and tip firm but not even close yet to being tip stiff.

So fitting wise, you are looking at shafts which are basically designed for a golfer with a 70-80 or 75-85 mph driver clubhead speed who has an average level of downswing force, and with a midway to only very slightly later release.  Of course, as is always the case in shaft fitting, there will always be golfers outside these swing descriptions who will like the shaft as well as some who are dead in the middle of these swing characteristics who may not like the shaft.  


TOM

Hi Tom,

I have a RIP'd NV 65 S installed on a G20 9.5* with 105mph swing speed and I feel it's launching the ball WAY TOO HIGH. Does that shaft somewhat fit my swing speed? It's a wedding gift and I don't want to end up leaving it in my garage doing me no good. Could you advise on the options I have with this club (tipping it maybe?) Thank you,

Eddie

#15 TomWishon

TomWishon

    Major Winner

  • Sponsors
  • 2,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 1175

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Postaddichen, on 11 June 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:


I have a RIP'd NV 65 S installed on a G20 9.5* with 105mph swing speed and I feel it's launching the ball WAY TOO HIGH. Does that shaft somewhat fit my swing speed? It's a wedding gift and I don't want to end up leaving it in my garage doing me no good. Could you advise on the options I have with this club (tipping it maybe?) Thank you,

Eddie

Eddie, based on our bend profile measurements of the RIP'd NV65 S, your swing speed is a little higher than the overall stiffness design of that shaft.  The RIP'd NV 65-S is a shaft for golfers with a 90-100mph swing speed with a somewhat aggressive downswing move but not that aggressive, and who also have a somewhat late release but by no means a very late aggressive release.  

So if you played this shaft as is, you might think it to be a little more flexible than you might like.   Tipping it 1 full inch can help get it to be closer to your swing speed needs, but since you did not offer any information on your transition, tempo and release, I can't say for sure whether the 1" tip would make this shaft be an overall good fit for you or not.

TOM


#16 03trdblack

03trdblack

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3549
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Might want to get that ping head checked for actual loft too. Ping (among all mfgs) tend to have higher lofts than the sole states. Almost every Ping driver I see has substantially more loft

#17 addichen

addichen

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109983
  • Joined: 06/24/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostTomWishon, on 12 June 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

View Postaddichen, on 11 June 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I have a RIP'd NV 65 S installed on a G20 9.5* with 105mph swing speed and I feel it's launching the ball WAY TOO HIGH. Does that shaft somewhat fit my swing speed? It's a wedding gift and I don't want to end up leaving it in my garage doing me no good. Could you advise on the options I have with this club (tipping it maybe?) Thank you,

Eddie

Eddie, based on our bend profile measurements of the RIP'd NV65 S, your swing speed is a little higher than the overall stiffness design of that shaft.  The RIP'd NV 65-S is a shaft for golfers with a 90-100mph swing speed with a somewhat aggressive downswing move but not that aggressive, and who also have a somewhat late release but by no means a very late aggressive release.  

So if you played this shaft as is, you might think it to be a little more flexible than you might like.   Tipping it 1 full inch can help get it to be closer to your swing speed needs, but since you did not offer any information on your transition, tempo and release, I can't say for sure whether the 1" tip would make this shaft be an overall good fit for you or not.

TOM

Eventually ditched that driver. Playing 910D2 8.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 72S. But thanks for the information Tom. At least I know it's never meant to be.





Also tagged with Aldila

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors