Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to Identify Your Biggest Weakness


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 one putz

one putz

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158437
  • Joined: 01/28/2012
  • Location:Santa Monica, CA
  • Handicap:14.9
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

I was wondering what would be the best way to identify where Im giving away the most strokes? Right now Im only tracking Fairways hit, GIRs and total putts. Obviously this does not tell the whole story of how to improve my scoring. What other stats are others tracking?

Other than stats is there anything else I can do to figure what i should address first. I'm already taking lessons so im thinking more in terms of dividing what practice time I have in a way that will give me the greatest benefit.

Callaway RAZR Hawk 9.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams a12 19*, 21*
Callaway RAZR X 5-AW
Cleveland 588 RTX 54*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

    The Mad Bomber

  • Sponsors
  • 16,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
  • Joined: 09/12/2009
  • Location:Southern California
GolfWRX Likes : 9089

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Get married?

Having a playing lesson with someone who know what they are looking at.


Did you see him smacked up
And cracked up
With his tongue on his chin
And his club in his hand,
Swinging from the rafters
Like a real RocknRolla

2

#3 mark m

mark m

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
  • Joined: 12/23/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Spread your practice around to all areas of the game. For many, problem areas can vary from round to round. One round you putt well, the next you don't. If you do have an obvious weakness, it should be noticeable and you won't even have to look at your stats.

Good driving is a challenge for most. Tracking fairways is good, but also track drives that are in play versus those that put you in trouble. Sometimes missing the fairway on the appropriate side with an open shot is OK too.

Edited by mark m, 13 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist 910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
TM Aeroburner TP 3W - X Flex
TM R15 TP #3 - Fuji X Flex
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW - KBS C-Taper X
Cleveland RTX-3 56/11
Vokey SM6 50/08 & 60/08
Newport 2.5

3

#4 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
GolfWRX Likes : 8825

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I start with the assumption that I suck at everything and work backwards from that.
Titleist 915D3 9.5/Diamana Whiteboard 63
Titleist 915F 16.5/Diamana Blueboard 73
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58 (M)/Dynamic Gold s200
Bettinardi Studio Stock 6
Titleist ProV1x

WITB

4

#5 Lodestone

Lodestone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234177
  • Joined: 03/04/2013
  • Location:Upstate NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I take a mental inventory at the end of the round.  I'm usually around 80, so I'm trying to figure out where I lost 8 strokes to par.

My errors are amazingly evenly distributed among drives, approaches, chips, and putts.  Usually something like "My driver cost me 2 strokes, on pulled, one pushed.  Approach irons, cost me 2 strokes- one thin, one fat.  Chipping cost me 2 strokes, where I had simple up and downs, but hit bad chips. And I missed one short par save, and I 3 putted once.

So what do I need to work on?  Everything.

If you want to, you could just write it down in a notebook ( I use my iPhone to keep notes in).

FORE RIGHT!!!!

5

#6 Lodestone

Lodestone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234177
  • Joined: 03/04/2013
  • Location:Upstate NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

 MonteScheinblum, on 13 May 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Get married?

Having a playing lesson with someone who know what they are looking at.

"Get married?"---that's funny
FORE RIGHT!!!!

6

#7 Rockminer

Rockminer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123965
  • Joined: 03/07/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

 MadGolfer76, on 13 May 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

I start with the assumption that I suck at everything and work backwards from that.

You're not the only one LOL. I just write down what I'm great at, it's not a very big list.

7

#8 sonofagunn

sonofagunn

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147771
  • Joined: 11/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

The way I do it is to use golfshot to keep my scores, then I can use golfplan to compare my putting, short game, bunker play, driving, and GIRs to people of a similar handicap to see where I am better or worse in a certain area than my peers.

8

#9 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

    In like Flynn with my 8802

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
  • Joined: 09/21/2010
  • Location:Pacific Grove, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 898

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

 MonteScheinblum, on 13 May 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Get married?

Having a playing lesson with someone who know what they are looking at.

Yep.

I just ask my wife. Actually she volunteers the information.

;)

Edited by SurfinTurf, 13 May 2013 - 06:52 PM.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

9

#10 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

    Balance Point Golf Schools

  • Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
  • Joined: 11/21/2009
  • Location:Oregon and Hawaii
GolfWRX Likes : 1403

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

 Lodestone, on 13 May 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

 MonteScheinblum, on 13 May 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Get married?

Having a playing lesson with someone who know what they are looking at.

"Get married?"---that's funny

"Take my golf instructor....please!"


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 JasonFL

JasonFL

    Under My Left Foot

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205251
  • Joined: 09/30/2012
  • Location:West Palm Beach, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

 sonofagunn, on 13 May 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

The way I do it is to use golfshot to keep my scores, then I can use golfplan to compare my putting, short game, bunker play, driving, and GIRs to people of a similar handicap to see where I am better or worse in a certain area than my peers.
Same.

Golfshot takes the guessing out of it. My tee shots leave me in bad shape. Which also ruins my GIR....and so on....
Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

11

#12 one putz

one putz

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158437
  • Joined: 01/28/2012
  • Location:Santa Monica, CA
  • Handicap:14.9
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Lodestone, I have done something similar a few times after a particularly disappointing round but I never record the results anywhere so I can't see any trends.

I have used GolfShot before and I dont really remember why I ever stopped. Is it worth it to upgrade to the full version or is the Lite version good enough?
Callaway RAZR Hawk 9.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams a12 19*, 21*
Callaway RAZR X 5-AW
Cleveland 588 RTX 54*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line

12

#13 JasonFL

JasonFL

    Under My Left Foot

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205251
  • Joined: 09/30/2012
  • Location:West Palm Beach, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

 one putz, on 13 May 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Lodestone, I have done something similar a few times after a particularly disappointing round but I never record the results anywhere so I can't see any trends.

I have used GolfShot before and I dont really remember why I ever stopped. Is it worth it to upgrade to the full version or is the Lite version good enough?

Full version can track club distances, FIR, GIR, left, right, short, long, putts per GIR and per green, scramble, sand saves, etc.  Also saves a ton of your past scorecards and gives a theoretical handicap. Its not so accurate compared to ghin though.
Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

13

#14 PhilsFanDrew

PhilsFanDrew

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134254
  • Joined: 07/26/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

 one putz, on 13 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I was wondering what would be the best way to identify where Im giving away the most strokes? Right now Im only tracking Fairways hit, GIRs and total putts. Obviously this does not tell the whole story of how to improve my scoring. What other stats are others tracking?

Other than stats is there anything else I can do to figure what i should address first. I'm already taking lessons so im thinking more in terms of dividing what practice time I have in a way that will give me the greatest benefit.

Don't just think in terms of actual stats like Fairways hit, GIR, scrambling, # of putts.  Get a little tablet and document your round.  Ie.  Par 4 (400 yards) - Shot 1(Driver to 275 yards to left side of fairway), Shot 2 (9 iron to right front of green), Shot 3 (putt missed high to appx 5 ft, misread), Shot 4 (putt in the hole, good line and speed).  You can also document the traditional stats but I think it will be easier to identify trends in your game by documenting the entire round.

14

#15 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

    Traj like Minaj

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
  • Joined: 02/24/2011
  • Location:Baltimore
  • Handicap:2ish
GolfWRX Likes : 15433

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

As a first step, look at a chart like the one on this page. . .

http://www.probableg...ews09-07-04.htm

If you're shooting 90 now, and you want to be shooting 85, compare where you're deficient. Are you hitting 2 fewer greens? Are you hitting 5 more putts than you should?

Chances are, you do have to work on everything. Usually, the biggest difference between someone better than you, and you, is going to be long game. Don't know your level right now, but you can't be hitting fat shots. Can't be slicing stuff 30 yards right into hazards. Can't be thinning irons over the green. Game gets a lot easier when you're on or near a green in regulation.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5º
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Mizuno Fli-HI 21º
Mizuno MX-300 4Iron-GW
Sauce : tour
Ping Glide 54º SS
Vokey 60º/04º
TM Ghost Spider Si 32

15

#16 mikpga

mikpga

    www.mikedeitersgolf.com

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
  • Joined: 10/06/2006
  • Location:Cincinnati, Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 549

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Agree with playing lesson.

16

#17 DeeKK

DeeKK

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135968
  • Joined: 08/10/2011
  • Ebay ID:dkgogo123
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

 PhilsFanDrew, on 14 May 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

 one putz, on 13 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I was wondering what would be the best way to identify where Im giving away the most strokes? Right now Im only tracking Fairways hit, GIRs and total putts. Obviously this does not tell the whole story of how to improve my scoring. What other stats are others tracking?

Other than stats is there anything else I can do to figure what i should address first. I'm already taking lessons so im thinking more in terms of dividing what practice time I have in a way that will give me the greatest benefit.

Don't just think in terms of actual stats like Fairways hit, GIR, scrambling, # of putts.  Get a little tablet and document your round.  Ie.  Par 4 (400 yards) - Shot 1(Driver to 275 yards to left side of fairway), Shot 2 (9 iron to right front of green), Shot 3 (putt missed high to appx 5 ft, misread), Shot 4 (putt in the hole, good line and speed).  You can also document the traditional stats but I think it will be easier to identify trends in your game by documenting the entire round.

Phils,

I started doing this this season and it is really an eye opener on what you need to work on during your practice time. I found out that around the greens I am horrible. I can't hit a chip within 20 feet of the hole, either leaving it short or running it by the hole. My ball striking is fine on most days, but my chipping around the greens needs a lot of work. I always assumed that I was "ok" at chipping, but getting up and down for par has been a struggle. Hitting 3 to 4 shots from 10-yards off the green (1 chip and 2 or 3 putt) really puts a dent in your scorecard.
Nike CT 2.0 10.5*- Fuji Pro 63x
Nike CP 2.0 15*- Fuji Pro TS 73X
Ping Anser 20*- RIP Alpha 105x
Ping i20 4-PW - KBS TourV 130x
Titleist SM5 52*F, 56*F, 60*K - KBS 130x
Scotty Cameron Squareback

17

#18 goldgolfer

goldgolfer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139070
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Great advice on the thread.  I will have to checkout that Golfshot app.  Sounds pretty cool!

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors