Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 3 votes

Tiger / Sergio At It Again......and Golf Channel Stirs the Pot!!!

567 replies to this topic

#1 texcrom

texcrom

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

You knew the media was going to stir up some crap based on the incident on hole #2, and Sergio's comments during the delay.

Even better was the smile on Brandell Chamblee's face while Rich Lerner rambled on about golf being a "gentlemans game" and that the controversy "wasn't in the best interest of the game". He makes these comments as the GC reporters continue to stir up the pot!!

Lerner has evidently been attending the Jim Nantz School of Self Rightiousness!!!

Taylor Made SLDR 430 TP 10.5
Taylor Made SLDR TS 14 degree
Taylor Made TP #2 UDI 18 degree stiff
Taylor Made TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour stiff
Taylor Made TP Wedges 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura X DB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KPH808

KPH808

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135322
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

It's ridiculous how much of a bigger deal the media is making this out to be.
Titleist 913 D3 8.5* w/ Fuji TS 7.2x
Still searching for a new 3 wood
Titleist 712u - 2 iron w/ DG TI X100
Miura CB 501 4-9 w/ Nippon SPB X
Odyssey Versa BWB #1 Wide 35"
47* & 51* SM4, 55* TVD K, 59* TVD M

#3 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

I went to Burger King and missed this?

I stand by my decision.

#4 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostKPH808, on 11 May 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

I disagree:

Later, in an NBC interview during the weather delay, Garcia blamed Woods for distracting him.

“I wouldn’t say that he didn’t see that I was ready, but you do have a feel when the other guy is going to hit,” Garcia said. “Right as I was in the top of the backswing, I think he must have pulled like a 5-wood or a 3-wood and obviously everybody started screaming.

“So that didn’t help very much. It’s unfortunate. If I hit a good shot there and maybe make birdie, it gets my day started in a bit of a different way.”

Asked about how he deals with that kind of adversity on the course, Garcia replied, “There’s really not much you can do. I think that I try to respect everyone as much as possible out there. I try to be careful what I do to make sure it doesn’t bother the other players.”

Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#5 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

Puppyluv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
GolfWRX Likes : 484

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Sergio seems to be "at it" again, but he's known to be a crybaby.  The whole incident was really much ado about nothing.  Tiger has no control over the spectators reactions to the club he decides to pull out of the bag & he was across the fairway from Sergio.  I was watching that scene, & Sergio had already made contact with his ball when the crowd noise occurred.....and it really wasn't much of a noise at all.

#6 MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136928
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

I think it's a good thing for the game right now...it draws more attention to the tournament from possible casual fans that hear about the "incident".

I think it's hilarious how the crowd cheers when all TW does is pull a club from his bag. Shows how big of a needle he is in the world of sports.

Regardless of what happened/what Tiger or Sergio said, I don't think Sergio should have ever blamed Woods. There are distractions out there all the time...a fan laughs in the distance or something...happens very often. As a pro golfer you have to block all that out. I don't think Sergio had a valid excuse. It appeared that the applause began several seconds before he ever took the club back. If it was a distraction, he should have backed off.

Edited by MrElculver2424, 11 May 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#7 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostKaysquare, on 11 May 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Sergio seems to be "at it" again, but he's known to be a crybaby.  The whole incident was really much ado about nothing.  Tiger has no control over the spectators reactions to the club he decides to pull out of the bag & he was across the fairway from Sergio.  I was watching that scene, & Sergio had already made contact with his ball when the crowd noise occurred.....and it really wasn't much of a noise at all.

Right, but Sergio is making a story out of this, the media isn't making the story, they are running with Sergio's comments.  But I can see this turning into the standard WRX bicker fest, so I'm out :wave:
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#8 Barto78

Barto78

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56340
  • Ebay ID:jbarto78
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Rich Lerner should be ashamed of himself.  You can tell he's really trying to stir the pot and maybe I'm biased but it sure seems he's no fan of Tiger.

#9 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Arnie was said to do this to his playing partners a lot, when you have the crowd on your side it's a factor your competition needs to factor bottom line. I'm sure Tiger is keenly aware of his effects on the crowd like it or not and Sergio is the perfect victim...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 11 May 2013 - 08:50 PM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#10 xxio

xxio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

And TW loves the looking out into the gallery after a bad shot/sound from the gallery....adding fuel to the fire..........

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 texcrom

texcrom

Major Winner

• 2,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostNaughty Mazz, on 11 May 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

I disagree:

Later, in an NBC interview during the weather delay, Garcia blamed Woods for distracting him.

“I wouldn’t say that he didn’t see that I was ready, but you do have a feel when the other guy is going to hit,” Garcia said. “Right as I was in the top of the backswing, I think he must have pulled like a 5-wood or a 3-wood and obviously everybody started screaming.

“So that didn’t help very much. It’s unfortunate. If I hit a good shot there and maybe make birdie, it gets my day started in a bit of a different way.”

Asked about how he deals with that kind of adversity on the course, Garcia replied, “There’s really not much you can do. I think that I try to respect everyone as much as possible out there. I try to be careful what I do to make sure it doesn’t bother the other players.”

"I think that I try to respect everyone as much as possible out there. I try to be careful what I do to make sure it doesn’t bother the other players.”

That certainly explains the spitting in the cup incident. Thank you, Sergio!
Taylor Made SLDR 430 TP 10.5
Taylor Made SLDR TS 14 degree
Taylor Made TP #2 UDI 18 degree stiff
Taylor Made TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour stiff
Taylor Made TP Wedges 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura X DB

#12 Barto78

Barto78

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56340
  • Ebay ID:jbarto78
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Tiger should have never said anything about Sergio complaining.   Bad judgement IMO.

#13 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sergio is a huge crybaby always trying to make excuses for his total lack of execution.

Edited by PuttLeftHitRight, 11 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#14 nowayjoze

nowayjoze

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204621
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

And how exactly is that different from a crowd reacting to sinked eagle putt adjacent to another green and Sergio's 50 yds away?

Edited by nowayjoze, 11 May 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#15 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

They just showed it on split screen so you could see Tiger and Sergio in sync.  Tiger did nothing wrong.  Its unfortunate that the fans did what they did but Tiger didn't do anything wrong.......heck, he probably couldn't even see Sergio from where he was at.  Sergio is like a boxer with a glass jaw.  It's a shame that he can't control his mental game.

#16 Ajit

Ajit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97941
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Postnowayjoze, on 11 May 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

And how exactly is that different from a crowd reacting to sinked eagle putt adjacent to another green and Sergio's 50 yds away?

Because it's something caused by your playing partner and therefore far more unexpected.

#17 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Sergio needs buckle down and realize exactly who he is teeing it up with, Tiger could absolutely care less about Sergio and his contentions good or bad.
Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#18 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Tiger was genuine for a change. I appreciate it when tensions flare. You can sense on the range or putting green when guys don't like each other but too often they ruin the entertainment and shut up for the entirety. Tiger and Sergio have had obvious problems dating to Battle at Bighorn -- when they barely spoke -- if not earlier, probably to Sergio turning around at Medinah.

It looks like Tiger's gallery starts clapping lightly after he pulled the wood, but that decibel level wouldn't have been enough to bother Sergio or even to hear it, nearly 50 yards removed. Sergio is standing over the ball at the time. You have to consider Sergio's situation, not what we are hearing into a direct microphone not far away from Tiger. It also takes a bit of time for sound to travel. There's a burst of considerably louder sound just before Sergio begins the backswing. Tiger would have been able to stop the swing. Sergio did not, and his backswing was noticeably shorter and more tense than normal. Then he looks immediately in Tiger's direction.

Tiger certainly didn't plan it, although he has to know there's a reaction when he's outside the ropes. That's a highlight for fans in his gallery. Always rowdy. Notice they weren't even looking back to check on Sergio.

Tiger is normally very considerate in making sure nearby groups aren't impacted by his shots or gallery. It was interesting tonight to hear Brandel Chamblee suggest Tiger changes his routine, and sometimes his club selection, depending on whether or not he likes the person he's playing with.

#19 pinehurst

pinehurst

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68916
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

This incident looked like a non-event on the split screen the GC put up that showed both players at the same time.  Head case.

#20 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1131

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sergio is such a whiner.

Taylormade SLDR Kiyoshi
Taylormade SLDR 3W
Taylormade UDI
Callaway Apex Pro 4-A
Titliest Vokey SM5 54 & 60
Bettinardi BB1F

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 tatumcat

tatumcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48828
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostKaysquare, on 11 May 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Neither is a digital camera clicking,but Tiger sure does get bent out of shaoe when it happens.

#22 Ajit

Ajit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97941
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostAwsi Dooger, on 11 May 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Tiger was genuine for a change. I appreciate it when tensions flare. You can sense on the range or putting green when guys don't like each other but too often they ruin the entertainment and shut up for the entirety. Tiger and Sergio have had obvious problems dating to Battle at Bighorn -- when they barely spoke -- if not earlier, probably to Sergio turning around at Medinah.

It looks like Tiger's gallery starts clapping lightly after he pulled the wood, but that decibel level wouldn't have been enough to bother Sergio or even to hear it, nearly 50 yards removed. Sergio is standing over the ball at the time. You have to consider Sergio's situation, not what we are hearing into a direct microphone not far away from Tiger. It also takes a bit of time for sound to travel. There's a burst of considerably louder sound just before Sergio begins the backswing. Tiger would have been able to stop the swing. Sergio did not, and his backswing was noticeably shorter and more tense than normal. Then he looks immediately in Tiger's direction.

Tiger certainly didn't plan it, although he has to know there's a reaction when he's outside the ropes. That's a highlight for fans in his gallery. Always rowdy. Notice they weren't even looking back to check on Sergio.

Tiger is normally very considerate in making sure nearby groups aren't impacted by his shots or gallery. It was interesting tonight to hear Brandel Chamblee suggest Tiger changes his routine, and sometimes his club selection, depending on whether or not he likes the person he's playing with.

Agree with all of this, though some times not even the great Tiger Woods can stop his swing midway.

#23 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3055

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

I disagree:

Certainly tries to move his ball mark as quietly as possible.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#24 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostAjit, on 11 May 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostAwsi Dooger, on 11 May 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Agree with all of this, though some times not even the great Tiger Woods can stop his swing midway.

I was going to post this exact same thing. Stuff happens on the golf course. Heck, who hasn't had a freaking bird squawk loudly in your backswing, or a playing partner accidentally fart or choke on a peanut in the middle of your swing? Sergio is a petulant punk, end of discussion.

#25 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 11 May 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I disagree:

Certainly tries to move his ball mark as quietly as possible.

And illegally tap down a spike mark as quietly as possible. And walk on Tiger's through line on 4 green as quietly as possible.  Sergio is Summer's Eve personified.

#26 Tim Meitner

Tim Meitner

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189652
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostMrElculver2424, on 11 May 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

I think it's a good thing for the game right now...

You would.... ;)

#27 Son_of_Sahm

Son_of_Sahm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204145
  • Ebay ID:Pillboxer
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

I disagree:

Perfect post.  I can understand why Tiger would be pissed at Sergio's comments.

#28 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Tomorrow on 16 tee, Tiger needs to stand by his bag and clearly and loudly say, "everyone, I am taking my driver out of my bag. Please be quiet." It would literally be the greatest thing to ever happen.

#29 Chef Otto

Chef Otto

I Surf Snow & Putt For Dough

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145405
  • Ebay ID:masshle
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

I like to root for Sergio but sometimes he is such a puss. And he is so mentally weak it really hurts his game and has cost him tourneys and lots of money.
PING i25 9.5 - 44" UST VTS Silver75
PING G25 3W -  42" UST VTS Red 85
Adams DHy 18* Matrix White Tie
PING s55 4-PW  Nippon 1150GH
Vokey TVD Black 50m-54m-58m s300
PING Nome TR 34" Straight

#30 Son_of_Sahm

Son_of_Sahm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204145
  • Ebay ID:Pillboxer
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostChef Otto, on 11 May 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

I like to root for Sergio but sometimes he is such a puss. And he is so mentally weak it really hurts his game and has cost him tourneys and lots of money.

I feel the exact same way.  He has so much talent while at the same time being fraile.  If he ever placed the blame where it should be placed (squarely on his shoulders), he'd be one of my faves.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors