Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best 2013 Wedges


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fishstix94

fishstix94

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148837
  • Joined: 11/27/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well guys I am in the wedge market yet again. I think I am moving to the 47, 55, 60 setup. Il be using my ping s57 wedge for the 47 and my sm4 55/10 for the 55.

So that leaves the 60. I am leaning towards the ping gorge wedge but I am open to other wedges. I want a wedge that is good in the bunkers, greenside, and other full to half shots inside 100yds.

So my question is what do you guys recommend? I don't want to spend much more than $150. Let me know which wedges you guys think are the best on the market.

Thanks in advance,

Fish


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#2 fishstix94

fishstix94

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148837
  • Joined: 11/27/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

No input huh?

2

#3 pleadguitar

pleadguitar

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133450
  • Joined: 07/19/2011
  • Location:Sudbury, Ontario
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

vokeys are always a good bet, the newer callaway stuff is nice too. Ping gorge wedges are not bad either if you like the look of them, they seem to perform pretty good
TM RBZ Stage2 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver 60s
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15* Project X pxv 6.0
Cobra S2 Forged 3-PW Nippon NSPro1130 Tour S
Callaway Forged Copper Wedges 52*-58* DG
Odyssey White Hot #1 Winn ProX 1.32
Callaway Cxr Control or Supersoft or Chromesoft
Lamkin UTX Midsize

WITB Link

3

#4 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Joined: 04/12/2011
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I haven't tried much of the 2013 line but Cleveland, only to reaffirm my non-love affair with them.  I had some CG14s that I couldn't seem to play well.  Tried the RTX to find they felt the same in my hands.  I just placed an order for new irons and added SM4s in 52/12 and 58/12 with KBS shafts to match my set.  I liked the way they look, and despite having the same amount of bounce as other wedges, they looked better at address.

4

#5 HiSpeed48

HiSpeed48

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196138
  • Joined: 08/02/2012
  • Location:New York City
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postfishstix94, on 28 April 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I want a wedge that is good in the bunkers, greenside, and other full to half shots inside 100yds.

its a little above your price range, but the Vokey TVD K-grind has gotten a lot of praise so far. it's very versatile and great from the bunker.

Titleist 910D2 Tour Issue
Ping I20 3h
Mizuno MP32 3-9
Vokey 46* 50* 54* 60*
John Byron DH2

5

#6 Jonnybagadonuts

Jonnybagadonuts

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136599
  • Joined: 08/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Scratch 8620. Great out of bunkers.

6

#7 fishstix94

fishstix94

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148837
  • Joined: 11/27/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostTxstcatman, on 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

I haven't tried much of the 2013 line but Cleveland, only to reaffirm my non-love affair with them.  I had some CG14s that I couldn't seem to play well.  Tried the RTX to find they felt the same in my hands.  I just placed an order for new irons and added SM4s in 52/12 and 58/12 with KBS shafts to match my set.  I liked the way they look, and despite having the same amount of bounce as other wedges, they looked better at address.
Do you have a hard time chipping w high bounce wedges

7

#8 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Joined: 04/12/2011
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

View Postfishstix94, on 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostTxstcatman, on 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

I haven't tried much of the 2013 line but Cleveland, only to reaffirm my non-love affair with them.  I had some CG14s that I couldn't seem to play well.  Tried the RTX to find they felt the same in my hands.  I just placed an order for new irons and added SM4s in 52/12 and 58/12 with KBS shafts to match my set.  I liked the way they look, and despite having the same amount of bounce as other wedges, they looked better at address.
Do you have a hard time chipping w high bounce wedges

Yes and no. I think my problem is more ball position, but at the same time I tend to get chunky with chips. Reason why I went 12* on the new SM4s coming to me was the way they sat on the ground. They seemed more low-bounce looking compared to the rounder Cleveland's.

8

#9 Wooderson

Wooderson

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5371
  • Joined: 08/22/2005
  • Location:Alma, AR
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

If you get chunky you want more bounce from normal lies.  Tight lies you want lower bounce.  The new Nikes are stunning and will be my top choice to test.  But I can't say much about them.
Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Callaway GBB 9° 44.5" Rogue Rip I/O s
Ping G30 3 Wood Tour 80s
Callaway XR 4 Hybrid Project X 5.5
Ping G20 23° Hybrid Steelfiber i95 s
Ping G30 6-GW DG R300   
Ping Eye2 SW/LW
Odyssey Works Versa 1w

9

#10 fishstix94

fishstix94

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148837
  • Joined: 11/27/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostTxstcatman, on 29 April 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

View Postfishstix94, on 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostTxstcatman, on 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

I haven't tried much of the 2013 line but Cleveland, only to reaffirm my non-love affair with them.  I had some CG14s that I couldn't seem to play well.  Tried the RTX to find they felt the same in my hands.  I just placed an order for new irons and added SM4s in 52/12 and 58/12 with KBS shafts to match my set.  I liked the way they look, and despite having the same amount of bounce as other wedges, they looked better at address.
Do you have a hard time chipping w high bounce wedges

Yes and no. I think my problem is more ball position, but at the same time I tend to get chunky with chips. Reason why I went 12* on the new SM4s coming to me was the way they sat on the ground. They seemed more low-bounce looking compared to the rounder Cleveland's.
I either hit perfect chips or blade it with high bounce... Who knows why


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#11 fishstix94

fishstix94

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148837
  • Joined: 11/27/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have thought ab getting the gorge w 10 degrees of bounce and the wide sole

11

#12 nick.woods76

nick.woods76

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238599
  • Joined: 03/16/2013
  • Location:North Carolina / Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

new nikes look amazing

12

#13 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Joined: 04/12/2011
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

View Postfishstix94, on 29 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostTxstcatman, on 29 April 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

View Postfishstix94, on 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostTxstcatman, on 29 April 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

I haven't tried much of the 2013 line but Cleveland, only to reaffirm my non-love affair with them.  I had some CG14s that I couldn't seem to play well.  Tried the RTX to find they felt the same in my hands.  I just placed an order for new irons and added SM4s in 52/12 and 58/12 with KBS shafts to match my set.  I liked the way they look, and despite having the same amount of bounce as other wedges, they looked better at address.
Do you have a hard time chipping w high bounce wedges

Yes and no. I think my problem is more ball position, but at the same time I tend to get chunky with chips. Reason why I went 12* on the new SM4s coming to me was the way they sat on the ground. They seemed more low-bounce looking compared to the rounder Cleveland's.
I either hit perfect chips or blade it with high bounce... Who knows why

This is me as well. My mind says "go more bounce!" But my eye just can't make each with the setup.

Edited by Txstcatman, 29 April 2013 - 08:15 PM.


13

#14 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Joined: 04/12/2011
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostWooderson, on 29 April 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

If you get chunky you want more bounce from normal lies.  Tight lies you want lower bounce.  The new Nikes are stunning and will be my top choice to test.  But I can't say much about them.

I love the way Nike wedges setup, and love the use of S400 shafts as a stock offering. They have the new line in the GS site, but no customization yet for bounce, shaft, grip options.

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors