Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 56 votes

The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

4112 replies to this topic

#4111 Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225273
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#4112 tgreenwood11

tgreenwood11

Bye bye yips in 2015

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72615
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

I have always has tendency to bring the club back inside too quickly and one of things I've discovered to prevent this as I read Jim's information is that if I push down on the handle while blending the turn into the swing, this prevents any bad inside take away.  I'd be interested in feedback.

#4113 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 2,959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1573

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

View Posttgreenwood11, on 27 March 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

I have always has tendency to bring the club back inside too quickly and one of things I've discovered to prevent this as I read Jim's information is that if I push down on the handle while blending the turn into the swing, this prevents any bad inside take away.  I'd be interested in feedback.

"Pushing down on the handle" is just one way of describing how one c0cks their wrists. Clubshaft moves upwards in the vertical dimension during takeaway swing segment due to that motion. It is often described as one way to cure the death move of too inside the plane. But that inside move is mainly caused by improper use of the arms - NOT failure to c0ck the wrists properly in vast majority of golfers. The issue is the in/out dimension relative to the target line and to the shaft plane angle itself. Wrists play a role in the takeaway that I teach, in that I like to see near immediate start of the c0cking process at beginning of takeaway, and the c0cking 50% done by end of takeaway.  

You are blending the in with the up by all three systems: upper arms pushing away, pivot of the body and wrist c0cking/hinging.

Folks who use their arms to create the "in" instead of their Pivot have the ASI problem.

Do not pull your arms in closer to your body - do the opposite. Push them away from your chest as your chest turns, 4-8" by end of takeaway.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Scarkat

GolfWRX Sponsors