Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 55 votes

The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

4068 replies to this topic

#4051 whamcrushington

whamcrushington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442764
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:whamcrushington
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Hey, Jim. You've mentioned that you've always had an interest in science and it shows. Which researchers or peer reviewed journals do you look to for insight? I'm a cognitive psychologist, but my field is vision and I'm not in touch with kinesiology. Cheers

WITB:
i25 9.5 Diamana WB
i25 15 Diamana BB
Rapture Proto 18
i25 4-U CFS X
Anser wedge 54, 58 CFS X
Scottsdale TR shea H
Ball: Bridgestone B330s

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#4052 Kiwi2

Kiwi2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117587
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Module 6 Trailer

#4053 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1403

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostKiwi2, on 22 August 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

Module 6 Trailer

Module Six: The Six Mini-Swing Segments - Integrating the Mechanics in my "Great Shot!: Mastering the Craft of Ballstriking" video instruction series is now available for purchase/download here: http://www.balancepo...hop/golf-videos

This latest video is an in depth and detailed presentation of my ideal golf swing model, de-constructed into three specific bio-mechanical categories (pivot, upper arms and the levers of right elbow and wrists) in each of the six swing segments: takeaway, second half of backswing and Top position, Transition, Release into Impact, Followthrough and Finish.

My assistant Dan and I demonstrate all of the technical pieces of each segment, and why and how golfers go wrong in their own swing in each of those six segments, and the cures for those common swing flaws.

My favorite Big Picture Swing Concept that is simple, non-technical and very effective is covered in this video, and it is one you can take to the golf course on those days when you have hit rock bottom and you just cannot "find your swing".

In the model golf swing, you need to learn how to blend those three mechanical categories into one whole motion.

Total viewing time of four hours.

#4054 jbw749

jbw749

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142633
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

Jim,

What module do you cover postural braces? Are all of them covered in 1 module? I really want to order module 4, because it looks awesome. But I'm very interested in postural braces, some days my legs feel like noodles.

#4055 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

View Postjbw749, on 23 August 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

Jim,

What module do you cover postural braces? Are all of them covered in 1 module? I really want to order module 4, because it looks awesome. But I'm very interested in postural braces, some days my legs feel like noodles.

The Postural Braces are in the Module One - Part D video. Yes, all three are covered in depth in that video.

Module Four is over four hours devoted entirely the Pivot Mechanics, including all of the tilts, Tilt Illusion, centered backswing Pivot, lateral weight shift on Transition, Tilt Switch, Spine Angle, Steady Head and Upper Swing Center, etc.

#4056 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1854

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hey Jim I'm curious if tilt switch is similar to the Dante 3rd  "magic move" of shifting hips while keeping head/chest steady and the "eternal triangle" intact? Thanks!
Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#4057 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostJasonic, on 31 August 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

Hey Jim I'm curious if tilt switch is similar to the Dante 3rd  "magic move" of shifting hips while keeping head/chest steady and the "eternal triangle" intact? Thanks!

No, not the same thing, although same segment, ie Transition.

Tilt Switch is the active reversal or "switch" from left side bend of the torso at the Top, from mid-back region, to right side bend early in Transition.

#4058 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostJim Waldron, on 31 August 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Tilt Switch is the active reversal or "switch" from left side bend of the torso at the Top, from mid-back region, to right side bend early in Transition.

Interesting. It seems when I do the hip move and don't "do anything" with arms keeping head back my tilt does switch and my arms automatically come down to hitting zone (at least with slow mo mirror swings)

#4059 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostJasonic, on 31 August 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

Interesting. It seems when I do the hip move and don't "do anything" with arms keeping head back my tilt does switch and my arms automatically come down to hitting zone (at least with slow mo mirror swings)

In that case, the head back thing is just a way you developed a trigger for the switch. But possible to keep your head back with ZERO switch, I see that all the time.

It is important in golf - if you wish to be successful making swing changes - to differentiate between "model" swing theory and what and how your body is executing that theory. The most important piece of knowledge is how you are using your mind, ie Meta-Awareness, second most important is what in fact is your body actually doing, and any triggers you develop are further down the list.

Meaning some folks will conflate a trigger for the body motion or even for the theory.

#4060 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostJim Waldron, on 31 August 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostJasonic, on 31 August 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

In that case, the head back thing is just a way you developed a trigger for the switch. But possible to keep your head back with ZERO switch, I see that all the time.

It is important in golf - if you wish to be successful making swing changes - to differentiate between "model" swing theory and what and how your body is executing that theory. The most important piece of knowledge is how you are using your mind, ie Meta-Awareness, second most important is what in fact is your body actually doing, and any triggers you develop are further down the list.

Meaning some folks will conflate a trigger for the body motion or even for the theory.

I'm in the very difficult (but getting there) process of fixing my death move which is upper body lunging toward ball on downswing. My head moved probably 6-8 inches! Im at about 2 now and this move really seems to help initiate my swing instead of and all out rotate everything forward ha. Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#4061 GoStars

GoStars

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116894
  • Handicap:13.8
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Jim,
I have purchased several videos (Arm Swing Illusion, Pivot, Swing Map Drills, Arm Mechanics), and I have to say the latest has really helped me bring it all together.  

The module 5 video helped me get a much clearer picture in my mind of what to do, and was a great addition due to the sheer size and volume of information presented in the other modules.

#4062 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostGoStars, on 05 September 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Jim,
I have purchased several videos (Arm Swing Illusion, Pivot, Swing Map Drills, Arm Mechanics), and I have to say the latest has really helped me bring it all together.  

The module 5 video helped me get a much clearer picture in my mind of what to do, and was a great addition due to the sheer size and volume of information presented in the other modules.

View PostGoStars, on 05 September 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Jim,

I think you might have meant to write "module 6"? Module 6 is the latest video and covers every technical detail of my entire ideal swing "model", broken down into six sequential swing segments.

#4063 GoStars

GoStars

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116894
  • Handicap:13.8
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

Yes I meant 6, the new one

#4064 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Lately I have been asked by quite a few students for my view of "what is the most important thing" for getting better - and fast! - at this crazy game.

I do have some thoughts on that issue, but first a warning. There is never going to be a "magic move" or "secret swing thought" or simplistic band-aid of any kind, that will actually instantly result in better shots and lower scores.  If you see something like that online - run as fast as you can from that bs, as it is mainly or even entirely "marketing".  Marketing is about what "sells" - and not necessarily at all about what is true, real and effective.

Like all the good teachers I have spoken with about their own teaching methods, I have a hierarchy of skills/fundamentals that I have found over almost three decades of teaching to have a proven track record of success. Stuff that works, in other words. And works in the real world of the lesson tee and the golf course with real human golfers.

This is exactly the same approach the legendary basketball coach, John Wooden, developed with his famous "Pyramid of Success".

It just means certain skills come first in the natural developmental learning cycle, and certain fundamentals are way more important than other fundamentals.

When you use this approach, you are maximizing the effectiveness of your practice time, which is always somewhat limited, unless you are retired and can devote yourself entirely to golf (pretty rare).

What is proven to be ineffective and a time-waster is spending any amount of your practice time working on stuff that has no or little chance of success because it is out of sequence with that natural developmental process.

I see that mistake with my students efforts everyday.

You can use the house building analogy. Why would you be putting up sheetrock on the walls of a house that lacked a foundation?

Here is how I see it in terms of "first things first" and following the law of cause and effect.

Number One: understanding how to use your awareness and  mental focus, and how to cultivate an open, inquiring, non-judgemental mind set. Especially the skill of Meta-Awareness which means - mainly - how to observe/notice what your mind is doing and attending to, in the present moment. That is the foundation skill of mindfulness practice, and something my "naturally gifted" golf students who are able to make both swing changes and changes to their mental game approach quickly and easily.
The students who struggle with both the mechanical and mental game aspects of golf tend to have little or no Meta-Awareness.

Number Two: understanding some of the basic psychology of how to learn golf skills effectively and how to practice golf skills effectively. If you lack this understanding, and you take instruction or search on your own for good swing theory, all you will have in the end is a head full of swing thoughts. What you need in golf is swing reality - not swing thoughts. Meaning how do you actually get your body to execute all of that ideal and cool-sounding "theory"? Understanding the relationship between conscious mind and subconscious mind is a big part of this, along with things like how do your form dominant mechanical habits. In my experience, my typical student arrives on my lesson tee with little or no understanding of these issues. Worse yet - many are holding onto ideas about how to learn and train that are actually toxic, meaning those concepts will sabotage their actual learning and training process.

Number Three: professional level grip position and pressure, Setup and Aim and Alignment or the three "pre-swing" fundamentals.
Kind of part of the foundation of your "house". Why would you spend ANY time working on the kind of advanced highly technical swing moves that are the usual wrx stuff when you have not yet achieved a proper grip, aim and especially Setup?

Number Four: Learning how to setup and especially swing to a finish in rock solid Balance. When your balance is poor, your body will compensate for that with body parts moving in a way that creates poor mechanics, which then create poor impact.  Part of this is having a solid Lower Body Stability Platform, or learning how to create the right kind of tension in your legs, knees and ankles so that you have a stable base to pivot off of with your upper body.

#4065 PJ1120

PJ1120

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

View PostJim Waldron, on 12 September 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Lately I have been asked by quite a few students for my view of "what is the most important thing" for getting better - and fast! - at this crazy game.

I do have some thoughts on that issue, but first a warning. There is never going to be a "magic move" or "secret swing thought" or simplistic band-aid of any kind, that will actually instantly result in better shots and lower scores.  If you see something like that online - run as fast as you can from that bs, as it is mainly or even entirely "marketing".  Marketing is about what "sells" - and not necessarily at all about what is true, real and effective.

Like all the good teachers I have spoken with about their own teaching methods, I have a hierarchy of skills/fundamentals that I have found over almost three decades of teaching to have a proven track record of success. Stuff that works, in other words. And works in the real world of the lesson tee and the golf course with real human golfers.

This is exactly the same approach the legendary basketball coach, John Wooden, developed with his famous "Pyramid of Success".

It just means certain skills come first in the natural developmental learning cycle, and certain fundamentals are way more important than other fundamentals.

When you use this approach, you are maximizing the effectiveness of your practice time, which is always somewhat limited, unless you are retired and can devote yourself entirely to golf (pretty rare).

What is proven to be ineffective and a time-waster is spending any amount of your practice time working on stuff that has no or little chance of success because it is out of sequence with that natural developmental process.

You can use the house building analogy. Why would you be putting up sheetrock on the walls of a house that lacked a foundation?

Here is how I see it in terms of "first things first" and following the law of cause and effect.

Number One: understanding how to use your awareness and  mental focus, and how to cultivate an open, inquiring, non-judgemental mind set. Especially the skill of Meta-Awareness which means - mainly - how to observe/notice what your mind is doing and attending to, in the present moment. That is the foundation skill of mindfulness practice, and something my "naturally gifted" golf students who are able to make both swing changes and changes to their mental game approach quickly and easily.
The students who struggle with both the mechanical and mental game aspects of golf tend to have little or no Meta-Awareness.

Number Two: understanding some of the basic psychology of how to learn golf skills effectively and how to practice golf skills effectively. If you lack this understanding, and you take instruction or search on your own for good swing theory, all you will have in the end is a head full of swing thoughts. What you need in golf is swing reality - not swing thoughts. Meaning how do you actually get your body to execute all of that ideal and cool-sounding "theory"? Understanding the relationship between conscious mind and subconscious mind is a big part of this, along with things like how do your form dominant mechanical habits. In my experience, my typical student arrives on my lesson tee with little or no understanding of these issues. Worse yet - many are holding onto ideas about how to learn and train that are actually toxic, meaning those concepts will sabotage their actual learning and training process.

Number Three: professional level grip position and pressure, Setup and Aim and Alignment or the three "pre-swing" fundamentals.
Kind of part of the foundation of your "house". Why would you spend ANY time working on the kind of advanced highly technical swing moves that are the usual wrx stuff when you have not yet achieved a proper grip, aim and especially Setup?

Number Four: Learning how to setup and especially swing to a finish in rock solid Balance. When your balance is poor, your body will compensate for that with body parts moving in a way that creates poor mechanics, which then create poor impact.  Part of this is having a solid Lower Body Stability Platform, or learning how to create the right kind of tension in your legs, knees and ankles so that you have a stable base to pivot off of with your upper body.

Jim....just finished the first viewing of Mod 6. What % of your weight should be in your trail leg at P6? I have a bad habit of throwing my weight forward in transition.

#4066 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostPJ1120, on 15 September 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

View PostJim Waldron, on 12 September 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Jim....just finished the first viewing of Mod 6. What % of your weight should be in your trail leg at P6? I have a bad habit of throwing my weight forward in transition.

Depends on the club, and varying degrees of stance width. The shorter the club, the narrower the stance, the more weight is toward the left leg. So with a driver, around 55/45 favoring the left leg. With a lob wedge, more like 65/35..

#4067 markfardon

markfardon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451248
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

Come on Jim can you really feel the difference between 55% and 45% ??
Can you tell the difference between 65%/35% and say 70/30 ? What if the ground is not exactly level ...this is being a bit silly - no ?

#4068 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Feeling weight in the feet can indeed be learned. The point is that you do want more weight left at P6 on all clubs, but it is  very close to being 50/50 with a driver, and moderately more than that with a wedge.  You don't need to take the numbers literally.

#4069 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,829 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

Just a quick heads up. I will be doing a live Q and A session tomorrow Sept 19 at 4PM Pacific time here on golfwrx, in the "Tour and Pre-Release" forum. Topics can be anything of interest in the game of golf. Will last for about one hour. Hope you guys can join in, should  be fun.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors