Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TM Stage 2 tour vs Stage 2 non tour drivers ?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cxissi

cxissi

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Joined: 08/03/2005
  • Location:western Canada
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Been doing a fair bit of Driver testing this spring.  So far I am leaning towards the Stage 2 non tour.
For me It has a slight edge in performance over the R1 and big advantage in sticker price over other drivers.   Being a lefty I am having trouble finding a lh Stage 2 tour is driver to compare head to head.

Anyone had a chance to compare these two head to head ? Is there much difference between them
in performance ?

Thanks gb

Titleist 913 D2 9.5 * Driver
Taylormade 15* Sldr s 3 wood
Taylormade Sldr 3 & 4 Hybrids
Taylormade Sldr irons 5-pw,aw.sw
Vokey SM 4 54* sw, Vokey SM 4 58* lw
TM 770 38" Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

    LOFT UP+ 17/1700

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12966
  • Joined: 03/03/2006
  • Location:The Course
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

http://www.golfwrx.c...s/#entry6708179
(open the pdf document for details)
According to this the R1 tops the Stage 2 for DISTANCE in four out of six categories of face impact.
The stage 2 only has two out of six tops.
In addition, the R1 has more adjustment for Swingweight, ball flight, and loft/face angle...the stage 2 only has loft.

Edited by BirdieBob, 20 April 2013 - 12:56 PM.

TM JDM TP 10*430 SLDR, AD-DI 6x Black LE
TM Stage 2 13 TS, 16.5*, AD-DI 7x
TM `14 TP MB 9,P, Recoil Proto 110 X
Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58 Custom Birdie Bob

#3 cxissi

cxissi

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Joined: 08/03/2005
  • Location:western Canada
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 20 April 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

http://www.golfwrx.c...s/#entry6708179
(open the pdf document for details)
According to this the R1 tops the Stage 2 for DISTANCE in four out of six categories of face impact.
The stage 2 only has two out of six tops.
In addition, the R1 has more adjustment for Swingweight, ball flight, and loft/face angle...the stage 2 only has loft.
I hit both of these for my swing I was getting about 5 more yards with the Stage 2 and was hitting it very very
straight. I went in to the testing wanting the R1 because I liked the look of it better but for my swing the Stage 2
is more consistent.
gb
Titleist 913 D2 9.5 * Driver
Taylormade 15* Sldr s 3 wood
Taylormade Sldr 3 & 4 Hybrids
Taylormade Sldr irons 5-pw,aw.sw
Vokey SM 4 54* sw, Vokey SM 4 58* lw
TM 770 38" Putter

#4 shanka

shanka

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89696
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have the Stage 2 Tour TP and really having success with it.  Launches pretty high without ballooning and very forgiving across the face.  The dispersion has been pretty good too. I think the heavier Matrix 7Q3 shaft has helped me with my tempo.

#5 storm319

storm319

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I found that the difference between the non-tour Stage 2 vs Stage 2 Tour to be nearly non-existent compared to the original RBZ vs RBZ Tour. I personally would get the original RBZ Tour over either Stage 2.


#6 borgore23

borgore23

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128802
  • Joined: 05/16/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

View Poststorm319, on 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I found that the difference between the non-tour Stage 2 vs Stage 2 Tour to be nearly non-existent compared to the original RBZ vs RBZ Tour. I personally would get the original RBZ Tour over either Stage 2.

Because there is no difference other than being more fade bias in the tour head. But I definitely disagree. The stage 2 has a much better feel and more muted sound. Also the matrix 6Q3 is a great stock shaft in the tour model. Best driver I have ever hit.

#7 G-Bone

G-Bone

    Better than most...

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Outskirts of Detroit, Rock City
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Stage 2 Tour is very similar to R1, minus the adjustability (according to my testing on Trackman). So, if you didn't care for R1, Tour won't excite you either.

Stage 2 (non Tour) beat them both for me, including most of the other "big boys" released this year.
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5º ~ AD DI
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Buttonback (A026140)

#8 borgore23

borgore23

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128802
  • Joined: 05/16/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostG-Bone, on 20 April 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Stage 2 Tour is very similar to R1, minus the adjustability (according to my testing on Trackman). So, if you didn't care for R1, Tour won't excite you either.

Stage 2 (non Tour) beat them both for me, including most of the other "big boys" released this year.

Did you test using the same shaft for each head? What is your swing speed? Did you dial in the R1 to get your optimal loft?

Edited by borgore23, 20 April 2013 - 10:49 PM.


#9 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    Yeehaw!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:ORL
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

View Poststorm319, on 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I found that the difference between the non-tour Stage 2 vs Stage 2 Tour to be nearly non-existent compared to the original RBZ vs RBZ Tour. I personally would get the original RBZ Tour over either Stage 2.

Because there is no difference other than being more fade bias in the tour head. But I definitely disagree. The stage 2 has a much better feel and more muted sound. Also the matrix 6Q3 is a great stock shaft in the tour model. Best driver I have ever hit.

The 6Q3 is a great shaft, is it the "real deal" in the Tour or only in the TP (7Q3)?
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

#10 borgore23

borgore23

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128802
  • Joined: 05/16/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostZBigStick, on 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

View Poststorm319, on 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I found that the difference between the non-tour Stage 2 vs Stage 2 Tour to be nearly non-existent compared to the original RBZ vs RBZ Tour. I personally would get the original RBZ Tour over either Stage 2.

Because there is no difference other than being more fade bias in the tour head. But I definitely disagree. The stage 2 has a much better feel and more muted sound. Also the matrix 6Q3 is a great stock shaft in the tour model. Best driver I have ever hit.

The 6Q3 is a great shaft, is it the "real deal" in the Tour or only in the TP (7Q3)?

Real deal my friend. :) only "made for" shafts are in the non tour stage 2 and normal R1 as far as I know.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 G-Bone

G-Bone

    Better than most...

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Outskirts of Detroit, Rock City
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 20 April 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Stage 2 Tour is very similar to R1, minus the adjustability (according to my testing on Trackman). So, if you didn't care for R1, Tour won't excite you either.

Stage 2 (non Tour) beat them both for me, including most of the other "big boys" released this year.

Did you test using the same shaft for each head? What is your swing speed? Did you dial in the R1 to get your optimal loft?

Yes, tested both with AD BB. My swing speed is 96-98.
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5º ~ AD DI
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Buttonback (A026140)

#12 borgore23

borgore23

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128802
  • Joined: 05/16/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostG-Bone, on 20 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 20 April 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Stage 2 Tour is very similar to R1, minus the adjustability (according to my testing on Trackman). So, if you didn't care for R1, Tour won't excite you either.

Stage 2 (non Tour) beat them both for me, including most of the other "big boys" released this year.

Did you test using the same shaft for each head? What is your swing speed? Did you dial in the R1 to get your optimal loft?

Yes, tested both with AD BB. My swing speed is 96-98.

So the lower launch and spin characteristics of the Stage 2 tour and R1 wouldn't help you at all. Makes sense. I'm guessing you slice the ball as well so the draw bias stage 2 (non tour) would help as well. Glad you found the driver that works best for you!

#13 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    Yeehaw!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:ORL
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostZBigStick, on 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

View Poststorm319, on 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I found that the difference between the non-tour Stage 2 vs Stage 2 Tour to be nearly non-existent compared to the original RBZ vs RBZ Tour. I personally would get the original RBZ Tour over either Stage 2.

Because there is no difference other than being more fade bias in the tour head. But I definitely disagree. The stage 2 has a much better feel and more muted sound. Also the matrix 6Q3 is a great stock shaft in the tour model. Best driver I have ever hit.

The 6Q3 is a great shaft, is it the "real deal" in the Tour or only in the TP (7Q3)?

Real deal my friend. :) only "made for" shafts are in the non tour stage 2 and normal R1 as far as I know.

Thats good news, but why the $100 up charge for a 7Q3??
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

#14 borgore23

borgore23

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128802
  • Joined: 05/16/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostZBigStick, on 20 April 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:


Thats good news, but why the $100 up charge for a 7Q3??

I think the 7Q3 is just the shaft they use to put in retail stores as the stock TP shaft offering. They have many other TP shaft offerings from TaylorMade though. Not sure why the 7Q3 is more expensive than the 6Q3.

#15 shanka

shanka

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89696
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

I do believe the 6Q3 is a made for shaft.  If I'm not mistaken, it is also a .350 tip, not .335.  If the shaft has the TP logo, then I believe it is the real deal.  I was also told this by the sales person at Roger Dunn.


#16 G-Bone

G-Bone

    Better than most...

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Outskirts of Detroit, Rock City
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 20 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 20 April 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

Stage 2 Tour is very similar to R1, minus the adjustability (according to my testing on Trackman). So, if you didn't care for R1, Tour won't excite you either.

Stage 2 (non Tour) beat them both for me, including most of the other "big boys" released this year.

Did you test using the same shaft for each head? What is your swing speed? Did you dial in the R1 to get your optimal loft?

Yes, tested both with AD BB. My swing speed is 96-98.

So the lower launch and spin characteristics of the Stage 2 tour and R1 wouldn't help you at all. Makes sense. I'm guessing you slice the ball as well so the draw bias stage 2 (non tour) would help as well. Glad you found the driver that works best for you!

Actually I play a strong draw. Also, from what I've been told by TM, the Stage 2 is more neutral than draw bias.
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5º ~ AD DI
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Buttonback (A026140)

#17 storm319

storm319

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postshanka, on 21 April 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

I do believe the 6Q3 is a made for shaft.  If I'm not mistaken, it is also a .350 tip, not .335.  If the shaft has the TP logo, then I believe it is the real deal.  I was also told this by the sales person at Roger Dunn.

The 6Q3 in the Stage 2 Tour does look to be made for (.350 tip and 59g in Stiff vs .335 and 67.5g for the real 6Q3). TM also has the 6Q3 under custom options with aftermarket graphics and specs that match up to the Matrix site.

Edited by storm319, 21 April 2013 - 08:26 AM.


#18 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    Yeehaw!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:ORL
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostG-Bone, on 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:



So the lower launch and spin characteristics of the Stage 2 tour and R1 wouldn't help you at all. Makes sense. I'm guessing you slice the ball as well so the draw bias stage 2 (non tour) would help as well. Glad you found the driver that works best for you!

Actually I play a strong draw. Also, from what I've been told by TM, the Stage 2 is more neutral than draw bias.

So what are the differences between the Stg2 and Stg2 Tour heads?  They look so dang similar.
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

#19 G-Bone

G-Bone

    Better than most...

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Outskirts of Detroit, Rock City
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostZBigStick, on 22 April 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:



So the lower launch and spin characteristics of the Stage 2 tour and R1 wouldn't help you at all. Makes sense. I'm guessing you slice the ball as well so the draw bias stage 2 (non tour) would help as well. Glad you found the driver that works best for you!

Actually I play a strong draw. Also, from what I've been told by TM, the Stage 2 is more neutral than draw bias.

So what are the differences between the Stg2 and Stg2 Tour heads?  They look so dang similar.

You are correct there, my friend... Their exterior specs are identical (excluding graphics of course).

The differences between the two heads lie within. The S2 Tours CG is slightly more forward and and lower, when compared to standard S2. Thereby allowing S2 Tour to have marginally less spin, as well as a lowered launch. Theoretically, the S2 Tour is designed for golfers with higher swing speeds... Offering them all the benefits of the extra forgiveness of Stage 2, yet keeping the ball flight flatter and more penetrating with the replaced CG.
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5º ~ AD DI
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Buttonback (A026140)

#20 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    Yeehaw!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:ORL
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostG-Bone, on 22 April 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

View PostZBigStick, on 22 April 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

View Postborgore23, on 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

So the lower launch and spin characteristics of the Stage 2 tour and R1 wouldn't help you at all. Makes sense. I'm guessing you slice the ball as well so the draw bias stage 2 (non tour) would help as well. Glad you found the driver that works best for you!

Actually I play a strong draw. Also, from what I've been told by TM, the Stage 2 is more neutral than draw bias.

So what are the differences between the Stg2 and Stg2 Tour heads?  They look so dang similar.

You are correct there, my friend... Their exterior specs are identical (excluding graphics of course).

The differences between the two heads lie within. The S2 Tours CG is slightly more forward and and lower, when compared to standard S2. Thereby allowing S2 Tour to have marginally less spin, as well as a lowered launch. Theoretically, the S2 Tour is designed for golfers with higher swing speeds... Offering them all the benefits of the extra forgiveness of Stage 2, yet keeping the ball flight flatter and more penetrating with the replaced CG.

Excellent explanation, and what I would have assumed.  I believe TaylorMade has bungled this line up as the RBZ was much easier to differentiate, even their website is not clear.  Also the TP being available in both heads is a bit misleading.  Previously I had even seen video where TMaG had stated that there was not going to be a Tour version of the S2 driver.

Even the weight port on the bottom of the two is in the same place.  For a marketing company, just painting "Tour" on the crown doesn't help enough to differentiate at retail.

Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.







0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors