Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Grip Size and Weight Impact on Irons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 texcrom

texcrom

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Decided to change grips on my MP-64's.

Went with GP New Decade Midsize.

Played Saturday, and suddenly clubs didn't feel right.

I wear extra large golf glove, and have been told I probably should have mid-size grips. Typically I just build up standard size grips with three wraps.

Could the size of the grips and the extra weight (59 gram mid-size vs 50 gram standard) of the mid-size grips have that big an effect?

My irons felt light in the head (swingweight impact) and I was uncomfortable with my release and control of the club.

Considering cutting off the New Decades and trying new Lamkin ACE 3GEN standard.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by texcrom, 14 April 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Taylor Made R7 425TP 9.5 degree
Taylor Made R7 TP 3 wood 15 degree
Ping i20 5 wood 19 degree
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW S-300
Vokey SM5 50/08F, 54/14S, & 60/7S
Ping Anser

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Scott4bird

Scott4bird

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 242149
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Yes your irons willmswingweigh less with oversize grips it acts as a counterbalance.  This worked well with the old IMix callawy drivers because the heads were 209grams.  Your question is about irons. The answer is you are correct the missile will make the head feel a little light.   If you can't get used to it I would go back to the standard.  Also the bigger grip will slow down your rotation just a little and leed to straighter shots. My our hooks and slices wont be as bad but this won't make a huge difference. Good luck

#3 Scott4bird

Scott4bird

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Mid size not missile

#4 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

Could the size of the grips and the extra weight (59 gram mid-size vs 50 gram standard) of the mid-size grips have that big an effect?

Everyone has different levels of sensitivity to those type of weight changes so it's possible that it's the case for you.

Now, weight issues not withstanding, how did the size of the grip feel in your hands?  

If the midsize grips worked out better from that standpoint, there are other ways to get the SW back to what you're comfortable with.

#5 Scott4bird

Scott4bird

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have cadet small hands and I like the mid size just fine on the driver. I do like standard on my irons but yes if they stopped making standard grips the size difference wouldn't bother me personally.  

Maybe just buy one grip at first and try it online your 5 or 6 iron and see what you think.  If you don't like it you are only out 5 or 6 bucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors