Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway Hex Chrome+ review

37 replies to this topic

#1 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80933
  • Ebay ID:gsi08284
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

This past weekend I was at a demo day and talked to the Callaway rep about the chrome +.  He was nice enough to give me a sleeve so I figured I'd post a review on here since some of you may be curious about this new ball.  

First, to put things in perspective, a little about my game.  I'm typically a high launch, high spin player and my driver swing speed is 105-110mph depending on how much I'm playing.  Since I fight spin with my driver and hit my irons quite high, I tend to gravitate toward golf balls with firmer covers.  However, for the past couple of years I've been playing a variety of balls and found that I can play equally well with many different models.  My recent ball of choice is the Z Star XV and before that was the Callaway i(s).  

Right now this is (hopefully) just part one of my review since I only had time to chip and putt with the chrome +, but plan on playing with it this weekend.

The first comparison was just bouncing a bunch of different balls on the face of the wedge.  The golf balls I compared were:

chrome +
iZ
iS
hex black
penta TP
z star
z star xv
b 330
last year's pro v1x
last year's pro v1
the current pro v1x

The black and the iZ were both the loudest and hardest feeling.  The pro v1 and the z star were definitely the softest, with a much more muted sound.  The chrome + felt about the same as the z star XV, and a little bit softer than the iS, but the chrome + still had a distinctive click to it.  There wasn't much separating the others, but I'd say the 330 was close to the iS and the v1x's and the penta were similar to the XV and chrome +.

Next test was putting.  In case you're curious, I was using a Studio Select Laguna 1.5.  As you can probably guess, this wasn't really any different than the results of bouncing balls on the wedge.  If anything, the feel of all of them got closer together, but my subjective ranking remains the same.  

For chipping I hit a variety of shots, mostly with my non-conforming vokey spin milled 58.08, ranging from flop shots to low spinners.  Chipping is where the results got interesting.  The chrome + felt much softer on chips in comparison to the other balls than it did putting.  I'd say it was very similar to the z star and now felt softer than the iS.  The others balls were all about the same as before, with the black and iZ still being the hardest; really, the chrome + is the only one that 'moved' to a new spot.  I could generate pretty good spin with the chrome + and the z star and they were the best of the bunch.  Even the pro v1 didn't seem to spin as well in spite of the fact that it felt about the same as the z star and chrome +.  I was really happy with the spin I could get out of the chrome + around the greens... more than I've been used to in the past few years.  My only complaint is that in hitting a mini-flop shot I managed to put a mark on the chrome +.  Nothing big, but it is a little concerning if I can scuff the cover a bit hitting chips.  To be fair, I did the same thing with the new generation pro v1x, but those were the only two that showed marks.  

In summary, the chrome + felt very soft on chips and generated pretty good spin.  It felt a little bit more firm off of the putter, but definitely not clicky like the hex black or iZ.  As long as the weather cooperates I'm going to play with the chrome + this weekend and can add some info about how this ball performs on full swings; based on the chipping and putting results, I'm excited about this ball, but that could quickly be tempered if the cover tears up easily, which is a problem I've had with the last few callaway balls (all the way back to the ix).

UPDATED ADDED 4/17

The weather and my desire to watch the Masters kept me from playing a full round, but I did play 9 holes on a little pitch and putt course.  The longest hole is about 50 yards, so everything was at most a half swing.  I was using my non-conforming 58* vokey, which is about 3 years old, and I played both a new Pro V1X and the Chrome +.  As expected, the Chrome + spun more than the V1x.  Actually, more generally, the Chrome plus felt very good and had lots of spin.  Not balata spin, but probably as much as I've seen on any of the solid core golf balls.  Even on the short swings I could make it stick and back up (a little) on the greens.  However, that spin came at the price of the cover.  I played 9 holes and left 7 marks on the ball.  Most were pretty small, but one was fairly large.  My cheap self might keep playing it in a normal round, but many people probably wouldn't.  I tried to take a picture, but the camera phone wouldn't focus on the ball.  In a few days I'll get my better camera back and can upload a better photo.  For comparison, the V1x had 4 marks from 9 holes, but all were pretty small.

Photo added on 4/24... this goes along with the previous update:

IMG_6191.jpg

UPDATED ADDED 4/29

On Saturday I finally got a chance to play 18 with the Chrome+.  For anyone familiar with the Baton Rouge area, I played at Copper Mill from the Copper tees (6200 yds).  The tees and fairways were in pretty good shape, but the greens were still recovering from aeration; a bit bumpy and sandy, but rolled better than expected.  I was playing in the morning, with three other guys, so I wasn't in a position to play 2 balls on any holes and directly compare the Chrome+ to any other ball.  Regardless, here are my thoughts about the Chrome+ from the round:

Driving - the ball feels good.  It is solid, but not hard, and definitely without the clicky-ness of the iZ. It was a bit windy, so I don't really have a good idea of how far I was hitting it, but I would say it is about the same as other balls I've played.  The Chrome+ had relatively low spin off of the tee, so I was getting some roll, which is something I normally see very little of.  Ball flight was good and the few times I tried to keep it down, the ball stayed down.  I didn't have any mishits that ended up worse than I would expect for how the swing felt, so I think driver spin was definitely under control.

Irons - based on my chipping practice with the ball, I was expecting more spin off of my irons, but instead I found the ball usually pretty close to its ball mark.  I suspect the ball was taking one hop forward and then backing up about the same amount, rather than just sticking and not really moving, but I never had a great view of this on any of my shots.  I could definitely work the ball both ways, hitting draws and cuts into greens.  The wind made it hard to tell if I was putting too much side spin on shots, but the fact that it worked easily in the direction I wanted it to go was nice.  

Chipping - I came up short on most of my chips, with the exception of one that I chipped in.  I haven't been playing much, so it could just be that I was off, but I wonder if it might have been the result of the chrome+ having more short game spin that I'm used to.  

Putting - nothing exciting to report... the ball had a good firm feel to it while putting and I didn't have any distance control issues that weren't my own fault.  

Durability - On the 3rd hole I had a full swing with my 58* conforming groove vokey and scuffed up the surface a bit (first pic below), but nothing major and certainly not as bad as the scuffing from the pitch and putt.  I also had a mostly full swing with my 53* vokey, which didn't leave much of a mark, so I suspect the non-conforming grooves were the biggest issue with the durability in my pitch and putt round.  I kept playing the one ball since I wanted to see how it held up and it did quite well.  Aside from the one significant mark there were only a few other small ones (see second pic below).  I never felt that the ball did anything crazy in the air, so I don't think any of these marks affected the performance of the ball.  I'd certainly be willing to use this same ball (scuffs and all) again for 18 more (maybe I'm just cheap?), as long as there's no money riding on it.  

IMG_6194.jpg
This is the scuff that came from my 58* on the third hole.  It looks a little worse than it is since it is dirty.  

IMG_6195.jpg
Not sure where this one came from, but it was the only other scuff on the ball where the cover was cut slightly.

Overall - Well, it was my first round since January, on a course I'd never played before, and I shot 72 (E) so I'd say the ball is pretty good.  Nothing about the ball jumped out at me and made me think, "Oh my God, I have to keep playing this ball," but it is at least as good for me as any of the other top end golf balls and it did what I wanted it to do on my shots.  Given that it is also a few bucks cheaper than other tour balls, I would definitely pick up a dozen of these to give them a more thorough test if I needed some balls.  Which I don't, because for some reason I've got 5 dozen new balls of varying types in my closet.

Final comment - The Chrome+ is a good, solid offering from Callaway that performs as well as any of the tour balls I have tried and it is definitely something that I would encourage other people to try out.

Edited by grochol17, 29 April 2013 - 07:30 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 taz757

taz757

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130452
  • Ebay ID:taz757
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

I understand that this is the ball that Mickelson is playing, except of course it's some sort of prototype.
TaylorMade R1 Black; 10*/N/stock S
TaylorMade RBZ 3w 15*/stock S
Taylormade RBZ 3h 19*/stock S
TaylorMade 2011 TP MCs/KBS Tour S
Callaway 2012 Forged 52*/56*/60*
TaylorMade Ghost Tour TM-110

#3 Lefty19

Lefty19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126422
  • Ebay ID:Fayard19
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the review...

Any updates on the testing?

-David
L4V 9* w/ VTLT
R7 TP 13* w/ Altus LT X
R7 TP 17.5* w/ Code 8 XX
Callaway FT 4-PW w/ X100
Baby Bee
Y Cutters- 50*-55*-60* w/ PX 6.5

#4 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Update added on 4/17.

#5 kctay

kctay

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65927
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

I've only tried the Chrome plus on 9 holes so far and wasn't that happy with it.  I wanted to like it.  Being 37 degrees here in Oregon when we teed off last Sunday might have had something to do with it, but I definitely lost distance with the driver with the + compared to my favorite winter ball, the 2013 e6.  I also did not like the feel off the putter (Golo) at all.  I'll give it another go today, it's a little warmer this morning.  I'm wondering if my 90-95 mph swing speed has something to do with the ball performance for me.

#6 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

bump since I added a photo with the scuffing on the chrome + from playing the pitch and putt with my 58* vokey.

#7 endlesswinterco

endlesswinterco

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148085
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

i received a dozen of these recently at an event. Plan to hit them for the first time this weekend. I will certainly provide some feedback as well!
Titleist 913D2
TM RBZ TP Tour 5 wood
Titleist 913H
Ping i20 KBS
Ping Tour-S Wedges
Scotty Select Newport 2

#8 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

bump since I added pics and a review from playing 18 with the ball.

#9 endlesswinterco

endlesswinterco

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148085
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

i played a round over the weekend with them. Overall, B+ IMO. they felt a bit harder then ProVs and TP5s. i as well scuffed the cover pretty well with a 56 wedge. I as well felt nothing was amazing to the point i had to replace my current ball by any means.
Titleist 913D2
TM RBZ TP Tour 5 wood
Titleist 913H
Ping i20 KBS
Ping Tour-S Wedges
Scotty Select Newport 2

#10 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Somehow I ended up with a dozen of these in yellow. After losing my ProV in the stream :scare2: , I pulled one of the Callaway Chromes out of the bag. I've used the same ball for 35 holes now and have won about $100 with it!

I'm killing it with the driver, iron distance is about 1/2 club longer, approach spin is comparable to the Titleists', pitching and chipping are great, putting has been, well, just... meh... but I'm a streaky putter anyway.

I just tossed a couple more of these in the bag.

Summation: I really like this ball.

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

I've been playing both the Chrome and the Chrome+. I really like the Chrome (This is the second season I've been playing it), and now I really like the Chrome+, too. I have both balls kicking around in my bag, so I don't know which version I am playing unless I look specifically. I can't see any difference at all between the two balls in the 5+ rounds I've played with both. I did back up a ball with a gap wedge on one hole. My wedges usually just stop where they land, but this one backed up 5 or 6 feet. This was on a course with very firm greens that were stimping at 12 (according to the super. They were really fast). I expected that to be a Chrome+, but it turned out was a regular Chrome.

I suspect there are differences between the two balls, but they are subtle and will take some time to sort it out. The covers of both balls will scuff a little at the peaks of the dimples, but this was minor. I never had to take one out of play unless I cart-pathed it.

FWIW, my driver SS is in the 97-104 range; high ball hitter.

Edited by DLiver, 01 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#12 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostHateto3Putt, on 01 May 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Somehow I ended up with a dozen of these in yellow.

What's your take on the yellow color?  I like the srixon yellow since it is kind of iridescent, but to me, the yellow chrome+ balls in the store look like range balls, which I don't care for.  Are they any better in the sun, or do they still look like they should have a black stripe down the side?

#13 AzSuperHack76

AzSuperHack76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214249
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Somehow I ended up with a dozen of these in yellow. After losing my ProV in the stream :scare2: , I pulled one of the Callaway Chromes out of the bag. I've used the same ball for 35 holes now and have won about $100 with it!

I'm killing it with the driver, iron distance is about 1/2 club longer, approach spin is comparable to the Titleists', pitching and chipping are great, putting has been, well, just... meh... but I'm a streaky putter anyway.

I just tossed a couple more of these in the bag.

Summation: I really like this ball.

Posted Image

I pretty much have had the same experience as you, minus the playing the yellow ball. I posted a review in the other thread titled Chrome Hex +. Absolutely love this ball. 54 holes on 2 balls now, still going amazingly strong. Both balls show limited wear and have still yet to have them eaten by wedges. I feel it's just as good off the putter than the V1 as well. All around a great ball for me.

#14 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

View Postgrochol17, on 01 May 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

What's your take on the yellow color?  I like the srixon yellow since it is kind of iridescent, but to me, the yellow chrome+ balls in the store look like range balls, which I don't care for.  Are they any better in the sun, or do they still look like they should have a black stripe down the side?

I like yellow balls.  The older I get, the harder it is for me to see a white ball in flight. Right now, I can see a white one about 200 yards in the air, then it disappears. The yellow balls add about 30 yards to that viewing number.

As far as them looking "rangy"... I don't see it... But, that could be my eyesight too! :)

#15 jeffhimself

jeffhimself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221647
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostHateto3Putt, on 02 May 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

View Postgrochol17, on 01 May 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

I like yellow balls.  The older I get, the harder it is for me to see a white ball in flight. Right now, I can see a white one about 200 yards in the air, then it disappears. The yellow balls add about 30 yards to that viewing number.

As far as them looking "rangy"... I don't see it... But, that could be my eyesight too! :)

I played the chromes in yellow and I felt I could see the ball a lot more.  I am not getting old (29) but I too prefer to see the ball in the air.  I haven't had any trouble with the sun, mostly in the late rounds in the fall where the yellow tends to blend with some of the leaves.  The yellow I have heard is different than the Srix yellow.  I think because the Cally is more of a solid yellow where the Srix is more of a transparent color, almost like a clear coat on top of the yellow.

I like the Chrome and would never have thought I would.  I never liked Top Flight as I thought they were always on the harder side.  I have seen about 10-15 yards gained off the tee and a whole lot more spin around the green.  The feel is great as well, a much "quieter" ball with a soft/solid feel that keeps me coming back to them.

#16 OriginalgolferX

OriginalgolferX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 245507
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I bought a dozen of Chrome+'s a couple weeks ago along from switching irons from Bridgestone J36's to Cally Razr X Forged...the 2011's....both with PX flighted 6.0s.

I am noticing that I am hitting the ball a lot higher now than I was...any one else noticing this with the Chrome+'s? It may be just the iron change but I also am noticing that tee shots off my 3 wood are also going a bit higher as well.

#17 thejuice

thejuice

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

This year, after a ball search of my own, I found that I liked the Nike 20Xi-x and 2013 Pro V1 more than anything else, with my tournament/serious round ball going to the 20Xi-x.  That was until I tried a sleeve of the Chrome+ in a practice round before a tournament I played today.  I expected I wouldn't like the Chrome+ by the first hole or two of my practice round so I expected to finish my practice round with my fave, the 20Xi-x.  Well, I actually only pulled the Nike on the last two holes just to make sure I played my tournament ball of choice a little before my competition today.  I went home last night trying to get my mind ready for the upcoming tournament and couldn't stop thinking about the performance I got from the Chrome+.  I got up, ran to the PGA Superstore before they closed and bought a dozen of the Chrome+.  I was thinking I'd start the tourney with the Nike and if I didn't feel like I liked the performance too much then I'd switch (I know this isn't something that is recommended in competition).  Long story short, I ended up playing the Chrome+ for the entire round.  I played like hot crap but it wasn't because of the ball.  When I did my job by swinging the clubs right, the Chrome+ did just as I would expect and I would find myself hitting last in my group (of three).  On well struck wedges/short irons into the green, the ball would literally stop six to nine inches from the pitch mark.  I'm not sure if there was any spinback due to a lot of elevated greens but by the time we would reach the green, my playing partners and I were marveled at where my ball was in comparison to where it landed.  

One quick example of how well this performs around the greens...I was sitting in chip range off the green with a sharp fall off the back of the green into a watery death.  I skulled my chip (my fault completely) and didn't even look to see what the ball would do because I just knew it was gone.  One of my playing partners said, as I was slamming my 52* wedge into the ground, "hey, it checked up on the back of the green.  I don't know how but it did!!!"  I thought he was pulling my leg and was ready to give him the evil eye but he meant it.  The damn thing checked up on a skulled chip.  I think that sold me right there, even though I hit some nice shots after that moment.  

To conclude, I think the 20Xi-x will be my backup ball for this year which is great because the Chrome+ is $10 cheaper.  

For the record, my SS avg 105 with driver.

Callaway OptiForce 440 Diamana S+ 62
Testing: Nike CT 2.0 w/stock KK
Nike CT 2.0 3 wood
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-P KBS Tour S
Cobra Trusty Rusty 51* and 55*
PING Piper TR adjustable

#18 ABQ_GOLFER1982

ABQ_GOLFER1982

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191230
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I really enjoy playing the Hex Chrome +. My only complaint is that they scuff rather easily

#19 thejuice

thejuice

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostABQ_GOLFER1982, on 15 May 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I really enjoy playing the Hex Chrome +. My only complaint is that they scuff rather easily

I'd have to agree with you but I noticed it's not consistent within a dozen.  I actually cracked one (no cart paths, no trees, just an iron off the tee and a good, full wedge into the green) to where I could see the layer under the cover.  I see that some scuff pretty easily and some seem durable.  I think this is the norm with Callaway premium balls because I experienced this with the HBT as well.
Callaway OptiForce 440 Diamana S+ 62
Testing: Nike CT 2.0 w/stock KK
Nike CT 2.0 3 wood
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-P KBS Tour S
Cobra Trusty Rusty 51* and 55*
PING Piper TR adjustable

#20 indygolfman

indygolfman

Close the distance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85183
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Any other reviews on these balls?  I currently play the Hex Black, but if I can get the same performance for a ball that is cheaper....why not?

Any Hex Black users have a comparison?

Edited by indygolfman, 08 August 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Ping Anser 8.5 - Chrome 6F4T
Ping G25 15* - Speeder 7.3TS
Cally Razr Fit 18* - Rombax 8Z08
TM MC 3-PW - DG
Scotty Newport 2.6/White Hot #1
Callaway X-Forged 54/58 - DG

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 golfnhack

golfnhack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

indygolfman, on 08 August 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Any other reviews on these balls?  I currently play the Hex Black, but if I can get the same performance for a ball that is cheaper....why not?

I went from the Hex Black to the TM Lethal. You should give that ball a try. I loved the black, but love the lethal more. The Lethal is also more durable

#22 tx-ping

tx-ping

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135277
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

I finally got around to playing the Chrome +, as I have been gaming the Chrome all season, and did not want to experiment. After Phil won the Open, and getting a few discount codes from another thread on here, with free shipping and everything, it came to about $20 for a dz. of the Chrome +. Figured, for $20, what is the worse that can happen with a ball like that, as if it didn't work out like the Chrome, I could give them to some playing partners for them to try out.
I snuck out of work early yesterday and played 18 with the Chrome + and I wil say, even though it was 1 round, I think I might have found the ball to replace the Chromes in my bag now. Course condition was firm fairways, and soft greens. Drives seemed to be mid flight, much like the Chrome for me. The + just seemed to hold the line a little better, not sure if I was striking the ball a little better or what, but visually, it seemed it. Distance was as good, might have been a bit longer, but then again, the fairways were firm with all the Texas heat and lack of rain. Where it stood out for me was the spin off the wedges. 3/4 swing shots seemed to be 1 hop and stop on the greens, with very little roll, which sometimes I wish had more, as I seem to usually hit short, but I am not complaining, as none rolled off the back. Chipping was also good, I just need to adjust my club selection now, as this ball also doesn't roll out as much as the Chrome, for my game..Not that it bothers me, I would rather adjust my game a bit to get a good, consistant play of a ball. Putting, the ball feels about the same as the Chrome does, not much to really compare there.
Overall, I play with 1 ball the entire time, and it looked almost new when finished. Durability was no issue at all to me. I will play this again next time I get out, and see if the results are the same, and if they are, I will have a dz. of Chromes to hand out to friends to try.

For my game, I can see the Chrome + being a little bit better than the Chrome.. I might need to stock up if I play one more solid round with them before Cally changes their lineup again. Seems to always happen to me, when I like something, it seems to get discontinued not too far after.

#23 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

Pipe Dreamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118635
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I love the Chrome +.  Best ball for the money.
SLDR TP 10.5 with Oban Devo 6
Callaway Xhot Pro 14.5 and 19
Ping i25 with C-Taper S 3-W
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58
Bettinardi Sig Series 5
WITB Link

#24 Yanger

Yanger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87195
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

I concur...Chrome+ is my gamer.  Really like everything about it.
Titleist 913D2 D+ 63g Stiff
3W - TEE CB4 15 deg RIP Sigma Stiff
TEE CB4 19 and 22 deg RIP Sigma Stiff
4-PW Ping I-20 KBS Tour Stiff
50, 56, 60 Vokey SM4 KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron 2.7

#25 Go_Blue!

Go_Blue!

HAIL!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47259
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yup, this thing plays very similar to the tp red and I loved that ball. Hope they stick with this design for awhile.

8.5* TM Supertri w/ F1 Motore 85X
15* TM R9 w/ F1 Motore 75X
19* Bridgestone J36
Titleist 690.mb
Rife Aruba w/ SuperStoke Mid
54*/58* TM Z-Tp

#26 BlazeOC

BlazeOC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226727
  • Ebay ID:matthewsauk
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Anyone know where I can pick up some for less money than retail?
USGA 8.1 Handicap
Worse part of my game: Putting
Best part of my game: Iron shots
Club I love to Hate: Driver
Most Favorite to Hit: 3 Iron
Goal: Shoot even par by next year

#27 Golfdaddy44

Golfdaddy44

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91643
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just played a round with the HC+ and it's going to be my ball for a while. I was playing Q-Stars, but I wanted to try something a little better to hold greens as the Q's just didn't have that premium ball bite. The HC+ gave me the same (if not better) driver performance as the Q's but with much improved green holding. It's a great ball.
Cobra Orange Bio Cell 'ahina 70
Adams Super LS fairway 17*  White Tie
Adams Super Hybrid XTD Ti 21* Fubuki Axe
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-AW KBS Tour
Callaway X-forged MD C-grind 53* and 58*
Scotty Cameron Squareback w/ Salty Jumbo

#28 grochol17

grochol17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

I only used a sleeve of the Hex Black, but I found that they tore up quite easily, felt pretty hard and weren't anything exciting in terms of distance or spin.  With the Chrome+ I feel like Callaway improved the spin and feel.  The durability is a bit better (twice I've used one ball for 18 holes).  As for distance, I've not hit it side-by-side with any other ball, but my iron distances were spot on, and driver distance seemed pretty close to usual and maybe a touch longer.

So, the short version is, I think the Chrome+ is a better ball than the Hex Black, so I think it would be worth it for you to give it a shot.

#29 indygolfman

indygolfman

Close the distance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85183
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

grochol17, on 18 August 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I only used a sleeve of the Hex Black, but I found that they tore up quite easily, felt pretty hard and weren't anything exciting in terms of distance or spin.  With the Chrome+ I feel like Callaway improved the spin and feel.  The durability is a bit better (twice I've used one ball for 18 holes).  As for distance, I've not hit it side-by-side with any other ball, but my iron distances were spot on, and driver distance seemed pretty close to usual and maybe a touch longer.

So, the short version is, I think the Chrome+ is a better ball than the Hex Black, so I think it would be worth it for you to give it a shot.

Thanks for the info!  I'm just so surprised to see so many pro's playing this ball instead of the Hex Black.  I guess more expensive isn't always better!
Ping Anser 8.5 - Chrome 6F4T
Ping G25 15* - Speeder 7.3TS
Cally Razr Fit 18* - Rombax 8Z08
TM MC 3-PW - DG
Scotty Newport 2.6/White Hot #1
Callaway X-Forged 54/58 - DG

#30 DFinch

DFinch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

I hated everything about the Hex Black.

The Chrome+, especially for the price, is an outstanding ball.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* Fuji 7.3
Callaway XHot 3Deep 14.5*
Callaway X2Hot 5Deep
TM SLDR irons 4-AW
TM RAC Z TP 54*/60*
Odyssey #7 Versa Tank 38"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors