Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80461
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Slighter, Byron, Cameron, Ping, Nike, Taylormade,$500, $50, $200... I've had them all. Every putter has it pros and cons whether its neck style, weight, or even alignment. No matter the brand, model, material, etc the smartest thing to do is find a putter you are comfortable with; that feels natural.

To give you a little background on me I'm 23 years old, currently stand at a 2 handicap,  and I would say putting is the best part of my game. I had a custom Slighter putter made for me this winter and it was a beauty. However fast forward one month later and I realized spending that much money on a putter at my current age was not the smartest thing to do since I have many other bills that are necessary. So I sold the Slighter and was looking for a new putter.

Walked into my local golf store and they had in lefty the Odyssey Versa 7's in both set ups (wbw and bwb) as well as the WHP 7. I picked up each and decided on the WHP ... What can I say I drained my only putt with it haha. Now using it the past two days I can give you a review and more details to why I bought it.

Looks: I actually preferred the look of the WHP over the Versa models for a couple of reasons. The larger head allowed me to feel more stable over the ball. The lines were more of preference over the three site dots as well. In my opinion the WHP was just a simply design and te Versas seemed too busy. The color scheme for lining up the putter square does work with the Versas which I think is great.

Feel: this is very subjective so each to his own. I am coming off a carbon deep milled slighter so from a feel aspect the Odyssey felt harder. With that in mind it was not a harsh feel it just isn't quite as soft as deep milling bottom line. What I liked about the insert was my judgement of distance. It actually took no time getting use to how the ball reacts off of the insert. Too me this is very important! Not having to alter a swing/ stroke in order to get use to a club is something I have always believed in.

Performance: One thing I wish Odyssey did is come out with a solid piece of technology like Yes! Or Nike with their roll groove technology. I just love getting the ball rolling ( if you don't believe in this technology great... But I do ). Honestly performance wise I think for an insert its average, but the shape of the putter and alignment makes the performance what it is. I was draining putts and my misses weren't too far from draining. I think this putter will help me make more birdies and par saves for sure.

Grip: Most stock grips suck, but Odyssey nailed it with this crossline grip..it feels great and is built up feeling like a midsize grip. Thanks for saving me money Odyssey!

Price: $130 is a steal. The way I look at it I can make that back in a weekend or two LOL!

Edited by UnderPar18, 07 April 2013 - 03:22 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2259

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Have the same putter except im standing on the other side of the ball. I agree with just about everything you said, though i only have one round on it. Prefered the larger size over the versa, prefer the sight line as opposed to the dots, love the feel over my Ping iN craz-e, Love the grip, and i absolutely agree about the distance control and consistency. Its almost a mindless task to hit a putt the right speed. which makes figuring the right line for that speed the only thing you're focused on. to me, the insert is the technology they are offering. i realize there are no grooves to get the ball rolling instead of skidding but it feels so good and so reliable over the whole width of the face, it makes up for the lack of "tech' in the face.

I love this putter and while I didn't make a ton of putts my first round, the greens were uncut. basically dormant  and very bumpy but I did make a nice 30 footer for my only birdie of the day which we can probably credit to the gods as much as the putter. This will be in my bag for a long time

Really nice review UP18

Edited by KYMAR, 07 April 2013 - 03:52 PM.

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#3 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 07 April 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Have the same putter except im standing on the other side of the ball. I agree with just about everything you said, though i only have one round on it. Prefered the larger size over the versa, prefer the sight line as opposed to the dots, love the feel over my Ping iN craz-e, Love the grip, and i absolutely agree about the distance control and consistency. Its almost a mindless task to hit a putt the right speed. which makes figuring the right line for that speed the only thing you're focused on. to me, the insert is the technology they are offering. i realize there are no grooves to get the ball rolling instead of skidding but it feels so good and so reliable over the whole width of the face, it makes up for the lack of "tech' in the face.

I love this putter and while I didn't make a ton of putts my first round, the greens were uncut. basically dormant  and very bumpy but I did make a nice 30 footer for my only birdie of the day which we can probably credit to the gods as much as the putter. This will be in my bag for a long time

Really nice review UP18

Thanks man! What length you playing?

#4 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2259

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

35"  I am 6'4" but i actually feel really comfortable with a 34" putter but I have a back disease and that "really comfortable" 34" becomes torture after a while. I grip it with a standard right hand low grip and i hold it as high on the handle as i can in my left hand, just to be more upright. I could maybe handle a 36" but too impatient to special order and too unsure it would work as well.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#5 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

Tough crowd

#6 Brizam

Brizam

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117043
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

i just picked one of these up last week and love it....
I seem to get the speed right with it on more puts than i was with my previous putter.  The insert feels more like the original white hot insert which i really liked.  I've only practiced with it so far, but I'm playing three rounds this week so that should be a good test

#7 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

I have that very same putter, even standing the same side of the ball to you.

I actually think it's the best putter I have ever used. It took a couple of rounds to get used to the alignment (initially to my eye it looked as if the face was open, even though it was in fact sitting perfectly square) but now I am used to it, putts from 10 feet and in are automatic. It feels great, and distance control is excellent. However, the best thing about it is the roll it puts on the ball... amazing.

I didn't like the standard grip at all, so fitted it with an Iomic Opus Midsize, and could not be happier.
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#8 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

I to bump my own thread, but I got in another round in on Tuesday and this putter was superb. I didn't make a bogey and I didn't 3 putt. I have found its much more stable feeling on 5-10 footers and excels on lag putts. I lipped out hardcore on back to back holes from about 20 to 30 feet away. Both tap ins for par.

#9 kevnixon

kevnixon

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139562
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Agreed the whp also seemed more stable than the versa
Tm sldr 460 with diamana bb x flex
Tm sldr 3 wood speeder s
Ping i25 19 deg hybrid tfc stiff
Ping s55 4-pw Cfs stiff
Cleveland rtx black 52, 58,  64
Odyssey bwb versa 9

#10 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

I beleive the WHP is heavier by 10 grams in weight. That could be the reason why

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 gary3aces

gary3aces

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199844
  • Ebay ID:gary3aces
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

How does this compare to the White Hot Tour #7h?I had one of those a few years ago and I really liked the firm insert and the weight but the head was a little to big for me.I'm about to pull the trigger on the WHP #7.

#12 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Same size head as the White Hot Tour #7h. It looks enormous when sat next to a Versa #7.
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#13 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137979
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I just picked up the white hot xg #7 yesterday and loved it on a practice green session today.  I enjoyed it very much, had that confident roll and can't wait to get it on the course.

#14 jfinephasho

jfinephasho

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209719
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Great putters. I like the white hot pro #9

#15 Rene M.

Rene M.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 319355
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:yobibs56
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:10 AM

I just got mine today.I have been using Scotty Circa 62 # 1 blade for years but this # 7 White Hot Pro is deadly accurate . I have a parctice green at home and so far, I havent missed a putt.  It's easier to align and weight is just perfect for me. I don't like the grip.I will install a Superstroke Claw grip on it soon.A great buy compared to Camerons, more than half the price !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors