Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Returning to golf after ACL surgery

76 replies to this topic

#61 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 6024

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

View Postbaddomes, on 13 January 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Bumping this thread.

Had an allograft done on 1/4.  Started PT today.  Extension at 4* and flexion to 90* at this point.  Still walking with crutches as support, but feeling better every day.  Got the "homework" from PT to do 2x daily and icing every 25 min when I'm hanging out.  PT scheduled 2x/week through the end of Feb at this point (they wouldn't let me schedule any further out).

No brace from the doc.

Good stories on here from people who have gone through it.

if you don;t mind me asking, how old are you? Also, besides golf how active? what was the reasoning for allograft instead of hamstring/patellar auto?

Good job on the recovery so far! just stay steady and patient.

Driver: Callaway GBB with Fuji Evo III 569SR

3W: Callaway XR16 with Fuji Evo II TS 765S

Irons: Wilson C300 Forged 3-PW with KBS 105S

Wedges: Wilson PMP 52* with DG S400
                Callaway PM 60* with KBS Tour V wedge

Putter: Byron Morgan Bombora Mystic

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 baddomes

baddomes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291683
GolfWRX Likes : 7816

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostPapa Johick, on 15 February 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Bumping this thread.

Had an allograft done on 1/4.  Started PT today.  Extension at 4* and flexion to 90* at this point.  Still walking with crutches as support, but feeling better every day.  Got the "homework" from PT to do 2x daily and icing every 25 min when I'm hanging out.  PT scheduled 2x/week through the end of Feb at this point (they wouldn't let me schedule any further out).

No brace from the doc.

if you don;t mind me asking, how old are you? Also, besides golf how active? what was the reasoning for allograft instead of hamstring/patellar auto?

No problem.  And thanks.

I'll be 35 in a month.  I'm a good athlete but my "sports" days are over.  Broke my leg playing Aussie Rules a few years ago, and have had two shoulder surgeries.  Golf is the only thing I'm interested in doing for the rest of my life.  I've done everything else.  Stopped skiing a few years ago as well.  Less active today than I was but still walk a ton and swim.  

Went with allograft for a couple of reasons.  1) My lack of desire to return to any jumping/cutting/contact sports and 2) Keeping my knee as trauma free as possible.  Didn't want to have to heal the patellar tendon/kneecap as well as the graft.  

Doctor said the decision should really come down to what your level of activity will be post-recovery.  If you're looking to get back to a high-agility sport, you probably should go with the autograft of the patellar (he didn't like hamstrings).  For me, he said I could go either way and be fine.

#63 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 6024

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's why I was wondering. Allografts work well just not usually used for younger/more active people haha. Totally understand about not wanting to do the others (patella is the way to go I agreee with your doc) though. Again congrats on the good work. You'll be back before you know it.
Driver: Callaway GBB with Fuji Evo III 569SR

3W: Callaway XR16 with Fuji Evo II TS 765S

Irons: Wilson C300 Forged 3-PW with KBS 105S

Wedges: Wilson PMP 52* with DG S400
                Callaway PM 60* with KBS Tour V wedge

Putter: Byron Morgan Bombora Mystic

#64 etarv13

etarv13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369677
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postjdubyapepper, on 07 April 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

It's been 4 months sine I had ACL surgery with a patellar tendon graft.  I was just cleared to return to golf.  I can't seem to make myself release the club after impact now.  

Before surgery my handicap hovered around 3-5 and now I'm in the 90's.  

I'm looking for some info on beating the mental barrier that is keeping me from returning to my pre-surgery golf swing.

I agree with most on here, it is 99% mental.  I tore my ACL in high school and golf was the first sport they play at 3 to 4 months post surgery.  It takes time with some of the most beginner drills.  Even though your knee is repaired with a patella graft, your body still thinks there is an injured ACL.  Just as a non-golf example, I had to do basic layup drills in basketball because subconsciously my body resisted jumping off my previously injured leg.  I didn't even realize it until my coach pointed it out.  My orthopedic surgeon and Phys Therapist were the ones who explained that my mind still thinks my knee is injured even though the patella graft is stronger than my original ACL.
Driver: Taylormade R1
Fairway: Taylormade RBZ Stage2 Tour 5 Wood
Hybrid: Wilson D100 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 50*, 54*; Callaway MD3 W Grind 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

#65 baddomes

baddomes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

9 weeks post-op today.  The weakness felt in the knee a few weeks ago is gone.  I'm sensing it's very much healed at this point.  PT is all about strengthening the core and making sure I can rotate without putting much stress on the knee.  It's almost become a personal training session, with a little bit of treatment on the knee.  

I've tak full swings with the 8iron and felt no pain or instability.  As soon as the weather warms up again I'm planning on playing from the front tees and just swinging irons....maybe hybrid.  Of course, during the last two weeks we've had weather in the 60's during the week and 30s on the weekend.  Probably the universe's way of keeping me from playing golf before I'm ready.  

Trying to get my legs to match sizes again is the biggest challenge.  Getting there, but a ways to go.  All in all, happy with the progress.

#66 mikewohlwend

mikewohlwend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55293
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

I'm glad I found this thread. I am going to go under the knife in early November. And I'm seeing that I may not miss as much golf as I originally thought.

I tore mine playing softball. I planted to turn back and my knee buckled. Ended up tearing my ACL & meniscus. As well as fracturing my tibia. My surgeon told me 1 year to be fully healthy. I'm wondering if that's because he uses synthetic ligaments. I will be happy if I can golf. I can handle a year off from softball

#67 TheLetterSee

TheLetterSee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 319097
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

View Postmikewohlwend, on 31 August 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

I'm glad I found this thread. I am going to go under the knife in early November. And I'm seeing that I may not miss as much golf as I originally thought.

I tore mine playing softball. I planted to turn back and my knee buckled. Ended up tearing my ACL & meniscus. As well as fracturing my tibia. My surgeon told me 1 year to be fully healthy. I'm wondering if that's because he uses synthetic ligaments. I will be happy if I can golf. I can handle a year off from softball

It'll be tough to trust it when you first come back. That first time you're on a weird slope and have your weight on that knee it'll be hard to swing confidently. Hopefully all goes well with you.
Nike Vapor Pro 8.5* - Diamana Blueboard S+ 60 S
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 S
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 85H X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200

Bettinardi Queen B 8 35.25" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord w/ 4 wraps under top hand

#68 Coy M

Coy M

OG Baby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150461
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

View Postbaddomes, on 15 February 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostPapa Johick, on 15 February 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Bumping this thread.

No brace from the doc.

No problem.  And thanks.

I'll be 35 in a month.  I'm a good athlete but my "sports" days are over.  Broke my leg playing Aussie Rules a few years ago, and have had two shoulder surgeries.  Golf is the only thing I'm interested in doing for the rest of my life.  I've done everything else.  Stopped skiing a few years ago as well.  Less active today than I was but still walk a ton and swim.  

Went with allograft for a couple of reasons.  1) My lack of desire to return to any jumping/cutting/contact sports and 2) Keeping my knee as trauma free as possible.  Didn't want to have to heal the patellar tendon/kneecap as well as the graft.  

Doctor said the decision should really come down to what your level of activity will be post-recovery.  If you're looking to get back to a high-agility sport, you probably should go with the autograft of the patellar (he didn't like hamstrings).  For me, he said I could go either way and be fine.

I had ACL surgery when I was 14 and they used some of my hamstring. My left leg is now significantly smaller than my right (also weaker) and I wish I hadn't used the hamstring. I remember the doctor saying I had the biggest hamstring on a 14 year old he'd ever seen. Wonder if this is why he took out half of it? =/
Exotics XCG3 16.5* ATTAS Elements 7s
Titleist 910fd 19* Diamana BB 8s
Nike Vr Pro Combo 4-PW KBS Tour x
Ping Tour Black 52*, Nike Pro 56*/60*
Taylormade Rosa Sebring Sport-1

#69 mikewohlwend

mikewohlwend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostTheLetterSee, on 01 September 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

It'll be tough to trust it when you first come back. That first time you're on a weird slope and have your weight on that knee it'll be hard to swing confidently. Hopefully all goes well with you.

Thanks.  Ya I feel very awkward right now when I'm standing on a slope.  Since I'm holding off the surgery for a bit the Dr. ordered me a post op brace.  I should have it early next week.  I feel like I could do anything that I want right now, but I haven't tried to push it.  The initial injury was a month ago now.

#70 baddomes

baddomes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

View Postmikewohlwend, on 01 September 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

View PostTheLetterSee, on 01 September 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

Thanks.  Ya I feel very awkward right now when I'm standing on a slope.  Since I'm holding off the surgery for a bit the Dr. ordered me a post op brace.  I should have it early next week.  I feel like I could do anything that I want right now, but I haven't tried to push it.  The initial injury was a month ago now.

You'll be playing again by the time handicap season opens in Ohio.  Just go all-in on rehabbing.  Make sure you do your "homework" so-to-speak.  I ordered one of these (and an extra ice pack), and it's the best.  

https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is fine now just under 8 months post-op.  Not really back to playing sports, but I don't think about it when I golf or during every day life at all.  Still get some cracks and stuff in the knee, but it's not constant, and it comes and goes.  Have had a couple of scar tissue bursts which hurt for 3 seconds and then go away.  Just part of the healing process I guess.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 kiclub690

kiclub690

legaleagles16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19929
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

I tore mine in July playing softball as well. Just had surgery last week for an ACL repair in my right leg using my right hamstring tendon. Ima r ought handed golfer and am curious about others' experiences coming back from this injury. My PT has said six months before we go hit golf balls which will be my longest time ever.

#72 tsecor

tsecor

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

View Postjdubyapepper, on 07 April 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

It's been 4 months sine I had ACL surgery with a patellar tendon graft.  I was just cleared to return to golf.  I can't seem to make myself release the club after impact now.  

Before surgery my handicap hovered around 3-5 and now I'm in the 90's.  

I'm looking for some info on beating the mental barrier that is keeping me from returning to my pre-surgery golf swing.
4 months post ACL with a turning motion is tough....you will not be 100% until a year. once you are pain free and have tested the knee in other areas, the mental part will be back.....ive been down this road twice....one in each knee from football.....it sucks but just give it time

#73 mikewohlwend

mikewohlwend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

View Postkiclub690, on 19 September 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

I tore mine in July playing softball as well. Just had surgery last week for an ACL repair in my right leg using my right hamstring tendon. Ima r ought handed golfer and am curious about others' experiences coming back from this injury. My PT has said six months before we go hit golf balls which will be my longest time ever.

When I scheduled my surgery the Dr gave me more details. He is using my hamstring from my right leg (same as my torn ACL). He is still telling me a year for softball, but 4-6 months for golf. So I'm having mine done 11/14. I'm hoping to be ready by April.

#74 kiclub690

kiclub690

legaleagles16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19929
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

View Postmikewohlwend, on 12 October 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

View Postkiclub690, on 19 September 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

When I scheduled my surgery the Dr gave me more details. He is using my hamstring from my right leg (same as my torn ACL). He is still telling me a year for softball, but 4-6 months for golf. So I'm having mine done 11/14. I'm hoping to be ready by April.

Good luck with your surgery Mike. Try to do PT before you go to work on your range of motion as that is the most important thing post-surgery for walking normal and comfort. I'm a full five weeks post surgery and have ditched the crutches and am close to full extension and have over 100 degrees of flexion. Your hammy will be a little sore for a few weeks. Mine is still a little tight but feels pretty good after I foam roll for a little bit. The worst is the damn crutches.

If you need some motivation or have questions, I'm happy to help. I know we're all different, but I'm not too far off what you're going through.

#75 tntecho

tntecho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485330
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the useful info.

Currently sat in hospital after ACL surgery earlier today and wondering how long I'm gonna be out. I'm hoping 6 months but we'll see. It was the hamstring graft I had on my lead knee.

Gonna be tough but at least it's over winter

#76 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Highland Park Dark Origins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:lowS
GolfWRX Likes : 2479

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

People that are athletes in great shape progress well because they were conditioned before surgery and know to follow PT.  Seen non-athletes that were not in great shape struggle after surgery.  Their most common error was trying too hard, pushing too fast and not following post-surgical PT advice.  

PATIENCE and pace yourself :beach:
Titleist 917D2 10.5, Fujikura Fuel 60 "S" Tour Spec
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Original D.Blueboard 83 x5ct "S"
Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, PX Flighted 6.0
Titleist 716CB 3-PW, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 F-52*, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 M-58*, DGS200
SC California Monterey
ProV1x

#77 tntecho

tntecho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485330
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

If it's not ready then I won't be forcing it. Wouldn't want to go through this again !

My putting could definitely do with some improvement so that will give me something to do

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors