Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

ProV1X vs Lethal Showdown

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 golfpros1

golfpros1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

I conducted a not so scientific on course evaluation, one-man two ball scramble from the tips, of the 13 ProV1X vs Lethal golf balls.  BTW, they were all practice balls from the PGA Tour Bay Hill Tournament range (hit by pros during tournament week)... and none of these balls looked like they were even hit.  They are the same balls as retail.

Me: Driver SS @108-110mph  6i: 175-180yds

Durability
Both golf balls are very durable.  In fact, I put a 12 ProV1x in the mix for comparison, and the durability difference compared to the 13 was VERY noticeable.  Titleist has a much better ball this year if durability is a hot topic for you.  Likewise, you'll be hard pressed to kill the Lethal ball, and I see no reason why you couldn't get a full round out of it, even with square grooves.

Driver Distance
I'd give the nod to the 13X, but by a slim margin at best (@ 3 yards).  Depending on your launch needs, could swing the other way quite easily, so I'd say overall it's about a wash.  A few yards one way or another never helped anyones game off the tee .  My impression from ball flight was that the 13X had less spin, but was also harder to work.

Mid+ Irons
Complete wash.  Into the wind my experience was the 13X held it's line a little better in the wind, but the Lethal is much better that previous models and can hang very well with any ball.

Short Irons
I'd give the nod to the Lethal, with a great stop and drop performance.  You wont juice it back too bad, but you have more than enough bite as well.  On the other hand, the 13X seems to have more spin on the short irons, and sucking them back becomes a real issue (imo).  For me, I'd much rather have a ball that lands and stops the exact carry distance I want.

Short Game
This is a toss up depending on what you like.  If you want lots of greenside spin and bite, I think the 13X had more of it.  If you like that more subtle stop and drop type bite, the Lethal all day long.

Workability
I'd give the nod to the Lethal ball.  It's a ball that listens, and can be worked easily without question.  It can almost get away from you, because into a wind, it can be worked almost like an old balata I thought a few times.

Feel
Lethal by a mile.  In fact, it's so soft feeling, sometimes you almost miss the harsher feedback to determine the quality of strike.  It's butter.  It's like hitting a forged iron on the sweet spot by just putting the ball in play.  Off the driver, not really what I want, but the closer I get to the green, the more I want that feel.  In fact, doing some blind tests where I didn't know which ball was which hitting putts, it was so profoundly different I knew EXACTLY which ball was the Lethal.  Night and day feel difference.

Summary
Both balls are gamers, both have great durability, and both perform lights out.  The 13X seems to have lower driver spin and higher greenside spin, but there's no question the feel is no where near as soft (not bad though).  The Lethal is a dream the closer you get to the green, and it's by far the best golf ball TM has made to date (not shabby at all from the tee either).  

I thought by doing this shot for shot test today, I'd have a clear winner for the season or longer, and I walked away thinking both golf balls are really top notch, and you can't lose with either. For me, it's still a toss up after 5 hours of testing, and I found myself leaning toward Lethal one hole, than X the next... they are just both great golf balls.  If you haven't tried them, I recommend it.

Edited by golfpros1, 06 April 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

#insideTMAG

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205445
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

I am already starting a stock of Lethal's. Really wish they stuck with Project5 name or came up with a better name though...

This ball is STELLAR and if you haven't tried it you NEED to.
SLDR 12*
SLDR 3HL/V-Steel 5
Tour Preferred CB 4-6 MB 7-PW
Vokey SM4 Wedges
Ghost Daytona Rossa

#3 Masque

Masque

Slice thinly; serve with chips.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241627
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Please stop costing me money. Kindly limit yourself to posts that praise whatever ball I'm currently playing.

Now to wait for a sale.

#4 Hat Trick

Hat Trick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216173
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Just played both balls over the course of 5 rounds last week in Hilton Head.  I agree it's a toss up between the two.  The only advantage 13 PRO V1X  has right now is buy three get one free promotion (4 doz for 144 = $36 a doz.). But if TM does their buy two get one free deal (like they did with the Penta) the game is on again (3 doz for $92 = $31 a doz.).

#5 redlabel

redlabel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79409
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

The advantage seems to be for the Lethal. It seems like the price they are selling for on ebay is just under $30.00 a dozen. I just purchased 6 dozen and am probably set for the season and some of them will be played 2 or 3 rounds like the Penta was.

#6 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 1,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Did the same test earlier in the year. I also tested them both on Trackman.

I found similar results as you, the difference coming with driver spin, in my case verified with Trackman. Lethal spun almost 400rpm less than 13 V1x off the driver for me. Not to mention Lethal had 3 more mph of ball speed and was about 8 yards longer... But of course this is with my swing.

Lethal was a no brainer for me, and have played several rounds with it. For me, Lethal fits my game perfect. I also believe after several rounds it performs better in the wind than V1x.
Cobra Bio Cell 9º ~ Diamana D+
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Teryllium Prototype

#7 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• 3,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Handicap:+1.2
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostG-Bone, on 06 April 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Lethal was a no brainer for me, and have played several rounds with it. For me, Lethal fits my game perfect. I also believe after several rounds it performs better in the wind than V1x.

Me too Bone.

I now have 38 rounds with the Lethal and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. It's simply a performer. On another note, I keep reading posts about its lack of durability (not mentioned in THIS thread) so I decided to do a little test and play one as long as I could find it. In the last four days I played 6 rounds (108 holes) with one ball, then threw it in the shagger before I lost it. And it still did not look like a range ball. Now I don't know about you but that's plenty durable for me.
RazrHawkTourProto 8.5 Matrix Ozik TP7HD
Exotics CB2 15 Matrix Ozik TP7HD
Exotics CB5 2H/17 Matrix Ozik Altus HM3
Bridgestone J40 CB 3-P DGTI X100
Fourteen MT28TS SpecRT 53/10 58/14 S400
Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)

#8 Rebel420

Rebel420

Major Winner

• 1,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138660
  • Ebay ID:Rebel420
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Great to hear about the Lethal.  I've always been one to play "last years model, slightly used" -- so in other words, last year I mostly played Pentas from lost golf balls site.   I was fortunate this year in that I was given a sleeve of Lethalballs when a local range opened a TM Performance Fitting Center...and then a few weeks ago I got a dozen from my company for an "attaboy" reward (same way I ended up with a ghost tour putter, all of my gloves for last season, and a Rocketballz rescue).  So stoked to give these a try!
Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

#9 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 1,751 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

View Postnitram, on 06 April 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostG-Bone, on 06 April 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Me too Bone.

I now have 38 rounds with the Lethal and I can't find a bad thing to say about it. It's simply a performer. On another note, I keep reading posts about its lack of durability (not mentioned in THIS thread) so I decided to do a little test and play one as long as I could find it. In the last four days I played 6 rounds (108 holes) with one ball, then threw it in the shagger before I lost it. And it still did not look like a range ball. Now I don't know about you but that's plenty durable for me.

Agreed. I have zero durability complaints.

#10 rozey

rozey

• 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228751
  • Ebay ID:faceman66
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostRebel420, on 06 April 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Great to hear about the Lethal.  I've always been one to play "last years model, slightly used" -- so in other words, last year I mostly played Pentas from lost golf balls site.   I was fortunate this year in that I was given a sleeve of Lethalballs when a local range opened a TM Performance Fitting Center...and then a few weeks ago I got a dozen from my company for an "attaboy" reward (same way I ended up with a ghost tour putter, all of my gloves for last season, and a Rocketballz rescue).  So stoked to give these a try!

Ok, where do you work and are they hiring?

Question for everyone using this ball. I have a decent ss (~98-105) and can play my irons well. I am not yet back to being able to shape shots consistently at all. And I have a hard fade/slice that I discover every few holes off the tee. Would you say the Lethal is still too much ball for my game, or is it worth the risky tee shots for the playability on and around the green? I have come to find that I think I really like the softer feeling ball 175yds and in...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Masque

Masque

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

This is probably not the wallet-flattening idea you want to hear or expect around here, but if you're sitting on an uncertain swing though leaning toward playability, something like the NXT Tour is probably going to save you strokes by acting as an antidepressant.

You'll grumble a little about the feel, but personally that feel costs me fewer shots than spinning a $4.50 ball into the woods growing out of the lake inhabited by ball-eating piranhas and then keeping a running tally of how much I'd be saving myself if I just played that Gamer V2 I found on the last hole next to the broken 7-iron museum.

For me, on an off day, I find it easier to have a shot go too straight or click a little too loudly than telling myself I'm an idiot for playing a priceless prototype 2014 Titleist SuperPro vXL++  when I know I should really just be on the practice green in the first place instead of out there where it rains tears, but only on me. You know those days.

Addendum: Idea! the 2011 Bridgestone e5 putts nicely, spins okay, and is being cleared out right now. Srixon Trispeed Tours are also good at this level, and are $35/2 dozen at Dick's right now! Not as spinny, but good enough for my warmup rounds. ( Those are the ones I have between October and June, I think. )

#12 golfpros1

golfpros1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

View Postrozey, on 07 April 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

View PostRebel420, on 06 April 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Ok, where do you work and are they hiring?

Question for everyone using this ball. I have a decent ss (~98-105) and can play my irons well. I am not yet back to being able to shape shots consistently at all. And I have a hard fade/slice that I discover every few holes off the tee. Would you say the Lethal is still too much ball for my game, or is it worth the risky tee shots for the playability on and around the green? I have come to find that I think I really like the softer feeling ball 175yds and in...

If you have a ball that spins offline too much, you want a ball with the lowest spin possible.  The lower it spins, the less it will slice.

#13 N236MJ

N236MJ

Rookie

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243199
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I thought I was done with the ball selection for this season, but decided to give the lethal another shot. I've been playing a par 3 course as of late, with distances ranging from 100-150 yards. Some holes have potential tight pin locations, with water in play on 5 of the 9 holes. So a ball that checks up nicely is a must. I have exclusively used the v1x and lethal with an occasion v1 thrown in depending on pace of play. For me the lethal performs nearly identical to the v1x, with obviously a softer feel (actually feels slightly softer than the v1). It seems easier to maneuver the lethal compared to the v1x (which I guess is an advantage of a softer ball). It does seem for me at least that the lethal spins off the driver a bit more than the v1x, but I will need more time to completely determine this. All in all, lethal is worth a gander (especially if they do a promo soon). I have not tried a ball that performs as well as the lethal 150 yards and in. I just jumped on the titleist loyalty offer, and I'm still buying the lethal. If I can get the numbers right off the tee, then I may have found the 2013 gamer.

#14 pdaero

pdaero

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.4
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've been doing this comparison since October when I was given both balls to test. They are extremely close for me (good driver, 105-110 SS, good short game), and either is wonderful. I'd give a slight edge to the Lethal as the feel and sound off the driver sounds like my driver is filled with hot melt versus the '13 X. Both phenomenal balls and I would elatedly play either.
PING Rapture V2 9* w/ XVS6
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400
PING Anser Milled 0 34"

#15 rozey

rozey

• 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostMasque, on 07 April 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

This is probably not the wallet-flattening idea you want to hear or expect around here, but if you're sitting on an uncertain swing though leaning toward playability, something like the NXT Tour is probably going to save you strokes by acting as an antidepressant. (I assume this is because it will be tossed off the right edge of the table less often?)

You'll grumble a little about the feel, but personally that feel costs me fewer shots than spinning a $4.50 ball into the woods growing out of the lake inhabited by ball-eating piranhas and then keeping a running tally of how much I'd be saving myself if I just played that Gamer V2 I found on the last hole next to the broken 7-iron museum. (Fortunately I do not send too many misbehaving snow pebbles to the monster under the bed, so keeping tally of lost ball economics has not been a passtime of mine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to spend that much money on a ball unless it matters to me; but if I can be more confident 150 and in I would spend something. Just not sure what yet.)

For me, on an off day, I find it easier to have a shot go too straight or click a little too loudly than telling myself I'm an idiot for playing a priceless prototype 2014 Titleist SuperPro vXL++  when I know I should really just be on the practice green in the first place instead of out there where it rains tears, but only on me. You know those days. (I know not of these rain delays. Surely it must be genetic?)

Addendum: Idea! the 2011 Bridgestone e5 putts nicely, spins okay, and is being cleared out right now. Srixon Trispeed Tours are also good at this level, and are $35/2 dozen at Dick's right now! Not as spinny, but good enough for my warmup rounds. ( Those are the ones I have between October and June, I think. ) (Interesting addendum: I just played with an e6 and e5 that I found and thought they were ok balls; found a Srixon Trispeed and a Srixon Trispeed Tour [whats the difference] today and will play them sometime this week.)

Humorous and educational post, thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading that. I played 36 holes this weekend and spent each set of 9 holes playing a different ball (Bridgestone-330RX, Callaway Tour, e6/e5, Gamer V2) and I think between those four the 330-RX felt best. I have a set of Taylormade Penta TP / TP Black / TP3 to try as well as a mix of others I have found in decent shape (Nike RZN, Callaway Hex Black, Srixon Z-Star, and more I can't remember) as well as the TP Red I ordered today <damn that internet coupon> so we'll see. I'm trying to wait until my local courses have the lethals for sale so I can buy a sleeve and compare since I just can't bring myself (or my bank card) to spend that much for a ball that might be <im sure it is> too much ball for me.

#16 jll62

jll62

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Just played for the first time today up here in MN.  I'm a long-time Pro V1X player, but I spent nine holes on short exec course with the Lethal because I wanted to hit a bunch of wedges and short irons to really get a sense for how this ball behaves in the scoring zone.  I was blown away by how good this ball is with the short clubs.  Great feel and spin around the greens and was able to flight wedges and get them to stop easily.  Even if the numbers with the driver turn out to be sub-optimal, the performance I saw today will give the Lethal a shot at knocking the X out of the bag.

Also, one thing to note is that the Lethal performed really well during cold temps today (~ 45 F).  The X's of years past have had issues in colder weather, so this is an interesting little nugget to me.

Edited by jll62, 08 April 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#17 Masque

Masque

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postrozey, on 07 April 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Humorous and educational post, thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading that. I played 36 holes this weekend and spent each set of 9 holes playing a different ball (Bridgestone-330RX, Callaway Tour, e6/e5, Gamer V2) and I think between those four the 330-RX felt best. I have a set of Taylormade Penta TP / TP Black / TP3 to try as well as a mix of others I have found in decent shape (Nike RZN, Callaway Hex Black, Srixon Z-Star, and more I can't remember) as well as the TP Red I ordered today <damn that internet coupon> so we'll see. I'm trying to wait until my local courses have the lethals for sale so I can buy a sleeve and compare since I just can't bring myself (or my bank card) to spend that much for a ball that might be <im sure it is> too much ball for me.

Okay! If you're not concerned about playing balls that are essentially free, but you still want to avoid spending $5/ball, and you want super-duper spinny-happy funtimes around the green, I think I have your answer.

Penta TP5.

(I couldn't make it sparkle, but I figured the best answer to your brain problem might be better done in something other than boring ol' text.)

$25/dozen right now at Golfsmith, maybe other places as well, and I suspect you will find it to be 330-RX-ish in good ways, maybe better in others. Plus it's Lethal-ish, and that makes it on topic for the thread. The circle is complete.

( Also the Srixon Trispeed is like the Trispeed Tour, but less Tour-ier. It's a "distance ball", whereas the Trispeed Tour is a distance ball that promises to behave around the greens. )

#18 Ezgolfer

Ezgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19575
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Played a tourney with 15 to 20  miles wind.
Lethal held the line.I hit the longest drive on one of the holes.Changing from zstarxv to lethal this year..

#19 BENNYSUPREME

BENNYSUPREME

Major Winner

• 1,839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37544
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I became a fan of the lethal when testing them as the project five.  I know have several dozen waiting to be used.
Adams Tour LS 9.5(10.5*) w/DI6x
Adams LS 15* Hybid w/85x ATTAS
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-PW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
WITB Link
Machine M6 converter
52*/56*/60* 2 Dot Cleveland Reg 588 CBs

#20 rozey

rozey

• 159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostMasque, on 08 April 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

View Postrozey, on 07 April 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Okay! If you're not concerned about playing balls that are essentially free, but you still want to avoid spending $5/ball, and you want super-duper spinny-happy funtimes around the green, I think I have your answer.

Penta TP5.

(I couldn't make it sparkle, but I figured the best answer to your brain problem might be better done in something other than boring ol' text.)

$25/dozen right now at Golfsmith, maybe other places as well, and I suspect you will find it to be 330-RX-ish in good ways, maybe better in others. Plus it's Lethal-ish, and that makes it on topic for the thread. The circle is complete.

( Also the Srixon Trispeed is like the Trispeed Tour, but less Tour-ier. It's a "distance ball", whereas the Trispeed Tour is a distance ball that promises to behave around the greens. )

Thanks some more... that's where I was starting and why I have been following the Lethal discussions because it seems everyone agrees it is an improvement/progression from the TP5. Of course, last years (almost as good as this years) ball is going to be cheaper and probably just as good for me. Now to figure out how the TP/Red vs. TP5 vs. Lethal stack up... why? cause I am a glutton for information and over-thinking everything. ;)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Masque

Masque

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postrozey, on 08 April 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Thanks some more... that's where I was starting and why I have been following the Lethal discussions because it seems everyone agrees it is an improvement/progression from the TP5. Of course, last years (almost as good as this years) ball is going to be cheaper and probably just as good for me. Now to figure out how the TP/Red vs. TP5 vs. Lethal stack up... why? cause I am a glutton for information and over-thinking everything. ;)

OoooOOOoooOOooh! Time for a fun game! Take one of each ball, grab a Sharpie (or your favorite indelible marker-type-thing), and black out the identifying mark(s) on each ball! Then, mix them up! Put your own mark on each - 1, 2, 3.

Next - and here's the really good part - go play golf! Use the balls interchangeably. Take notes. See which one(s) you love. This is a fun game, and you can't lose!

Reminds me of this classic, so you might as well throw in a Wilson Duo on your test:

View Postdcmidnight, on 07 January 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Summary - Here's the bottom line to me. In all honesty, if this ball said "Titleist Prototype" on it and golfwrx sent it out to a bunch of you to test - you would FREAK OUT about this ball. The threads would be 40 pages long and you would be begging to know when it was coming to retail. Oh my its so long off the tee and so soft on the greens and it checks up immediately. But if you read about it and find out its a two piece ball and it says Wilson Staff on it - thats the deal breaker.

Maybe dcmidnight is right. Either way, what fun to try!

Edited by Masque, 08 April 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#22 home0006

home0006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202019
  • Ebay ID:drury23gaborik10

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Recently I went in for a driver fitting and got set up with a G25 driver.  During the fitting when trying all the different drivers I was using the Lethal ball.  Penta has been my main ball of choice for the last few years but since Lethal is the new model for the year that's what they had for the fitting to use.  

Once it was clear I was going to get the G25 we then zeroed in on which ball would be best.  The 3 that I tried were the Lethal, ProV1, and ProV1x.  Based on feel, the ProV1 and the Lethal were my favorite 2 and gave me the softest feeling which I liked.  However, the Prov1x gave me the better numbers, averaging about 5 yards further on the drives, and 200 RPM's less spin than the Lethal.  It was 7 yards further and gave me a little more spin than the standard Prov1 ball which surprised me.  Lethal did beat out the ProV1x in the accuracy category though with it being on average -4.87 off line where the Prov1x was -12.36 off line, and ProV1 was -22.10.  

Even though the ProV1x gives me better numbers, I like the feel of the Lethal a lot better so once it gets nice enough to play with only a 5 yard difference on average it'll probably be a toss up as to which ball I'll be playing regularly.

#23 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I try many balls but always come back to the Pro V1.  To me, the Lethal is a Pro V1/Pro V1x hybrid...and that's a great thing.

By the way, I am an unabashed basher of TM, but they got premium golf balls right.
Callaway X2H 10.5°
Callaway X2HP 17° / X2H hybrid 19°
Callaway XHP 5-AW
Cobra 'o.g.' TR 55°/59°
Ping Karsten TR B60
TM Lethal

#24 whiteretro

whiteretro

Rookie

• 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151593
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostKonklifer, on 13 April 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I try many balls but always come back to the Pro V1.  To me, the Lethal is a Pro V1/Pro V1x hybrid...and that's a great thing.

By the way, I am an unabashed basher of TM, but they got premium golf balls right.

I also am TM basher - BUT - Lethal is the real deal - maybe the "hot" pro level ball for 2013

Are there any deals on Lethals right know? buy 3 get 1 free?

#25 golfpros1

golfpros1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

View Posthome0006, on 09 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Recently I went in for a driver fitting and got set up with a G25 driver.  During the fitting when trying all the different drivers I was using the Lethal ball.  Penta has been my main ball of choice for the last few years but since Lethal is the new model for the year that's what they had for the fitting to use.  

Once it was clear I was going to get the G25 we then zeroed in on which ball would be best.  The 3 that I tried were the Lethal, ProV1, and ProV1x.  Based on feel, the ProV1 and the Lethal were my favorite 2 and gave me the softest feeling which I liked.  However, the Prov1x gave me the better numbers, averaging about 5 yards further on the drives, and 200 RPM's less spin than the Lethal.  It was 7 yards further and gave me a little more spin than the standard Prov1 ball which surprised me.  Lethal did beat out the ProV1x in the accuracy category though with it being on average -4.87 off line where the Prov1x was -12.36 off line, and ProV1 was -22.10.  

Even though the ProV1x gives me better numbers, I like the feel of the Lethal a lot better so once it gets nice enough to play with only a 5 yard difference on average it'll probably be a toss up as to which ball I'll be playing regularly.

that's what's killing me, because I dont want to give up those yards off the tee, even if it's just a few, but from the fairway in it's hard to beat the lethal

with the buy 3, get 1 free, + free personalization, I pulled the trigger on the prov1x.  At $37 a dozen, it's hard to beat that deal.  If TM had something like that, I would have stocked up on those.  It was just too close of a comparison for me to not go with the deal.  I may change my mind mid-year and have a lot of prov1xs on ebay, but at least I got them cheap so it wont be bad selling them.

Edited by golfpros1, 14 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#26 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 1,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

The more I play Lethal the more I like it... It's truly a perfect fit for my game.

Great feel off all 14 clubs.

Long and straight off the tee.

Workable with the irons.

Perfect spin with wedges and around the greens.

Amazing into the wind.

Lets not forget durable.

Perhaps this is why TaylorMade is building a second golf ball factory...

#27 golfpros1

golfpros1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

They need to do the buy 3, get 1 free, with personalization deal... it's become a spring-time staple of golf ball hoarding.

#28 Toddo64

Toddo64

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152705
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I still have a whole bunch of TP5's from last year, but after playing the Lethals for the second time today, I may be willing to part with the TP5's.  I did a little side by side comparision.  Lethal has the softer feel and holds its line in the wind.  When my budget will allow me or I can find a deal on EBay, I will get some more Lethals.
TaylorMade R1 Black
TaylorMade V Steel 15 and 18 degree
TaylorMade Rescue 09 TP 22 degree
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-AW/ATV 54 wedge
Yes! Carolyne putter

#29 prorobo

prorobo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191834
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've been playing the Lethal for the majority of this season as a former 1x user exclusively and have been pretty happy with it. I concur with many of the opinions here on its soft feel, workability, and durability, BUT I have to disagree 100% on its performance in the wind.

The past couple of weeks have been unusually windy when I've been playing (from steady 10-15 mph winds up to 30+ mph gusts, I don't want to talk about that day) and the Lethal doesn't seem to penetrate into the wind as well as the 1x does for me. I hit a lower ball flight but my shots were consistently being knocked down or held up on windy days.

So that being said with my first tourney of the season tomorrow, I'll be gaming the 1x as the forecast calls for 10-15 mph winds.

#30 golfpros1

golfpros1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

View Postprorobo, on 14 April 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

I've been playing the Lethal for the majority of this season as a former 1x user exclusively and have been pretty happy with it. I concur with many of the opinions here on its soft feel, workability, and durability, BUT I have to disagree 100% on its performance in the wind.

The past couple of weeks have been unusually windy when I've been playing (from steady 10-15 mph winds up to 30+ mph gusts, I don't want to talk about that day) and the Lethal doesn't seem to penetrate into the wind as well as the 1x does for me. I hit a lower ball flight but my shots were consistently being knocked down or held up on windy days.

So that being said with my first tourney of the season tomorrow, I'll be gaming the 1x as the forecast calls for 10-15 mph winds.

I agree with your assessment that they certainly shine in the wind compared to previous TM balls, but is not stronger than the 1x in that category.  I think the balls perform very well, however, and it can certainly hold it's own in windy conditions.  It's about compromise and the Lethal ball gives you everything you could want if feel is your main deal maker, but I felt like it was spinning more than the 1x on tee balls, and that means more curvature unless struck really solid.  I think two of the best balls on the market, and the fact that TM can make a ball that even suggests a toss up with the #1 ball in golf means they have a serious product that changes the ball game... pun intended.

Edited by golfpros1, 15 April 2013 - 01:58 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors