Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Ping i5

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Please Rate and Review (219 member(s) have cast votes)

Please Rate and Review

1. 5 (best) (166 votes [75.80%])

Percentage of vote: 75.80%

2. 4 (42 votes [19.18%])

Percentage of vote: 19.18%

3. 3 (10 votes [4.57%])

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 1 (1 votes [0.46%])

Percentage of vote: 0.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

• Marshals
  • 4,237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

Posted Image

A mid-size, perimeter weighted head

with reduced offset, the i5 iron features a sole width and cavity size created to provide a balance of forgiveness and playability. It shares many of the G5 iron features, including the larger, thinner Custom Tuning Port (CTP) for improved feel. The lead edge and bounce angles are designed for a smoother, forgiving transition through the turf and from the rough

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 johnnysnay

johnnysnay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6850
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

If anyone is interested in this iron, i have been very happy with it.  Although it did take a 3 weeks for me to receive my special order from Ping (rifle flighted shafts and different grips).  This is the first time i have had irons fitted for me and although i was standard throughout i did have the grips stretched a size smaller (i want the club more in my fingers now instead of the hand).  Anyways what i did was test the g2 - g5 and i5 at the same time.  For me i like the smaller look of the i5, since my last set was wilson ultra -45's i didn't want to be looking at a massive club face that looks more like a hockey stick than a golf club.  However, the larger clubs are easier to hit.  :drinks:

#3 Gallery_lee0073_*

Gallery_lee0073_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

I5 vs G2….

Specs...
G2:  3-PW, Rifle 5.2, D3, 3-PW - red dot
I5:    3-PW, Flighted Rifle 5.0, D3, 3-5 iron - black dot, 6-PW - red dot

Experience…
Have been playing the G2's for one season and the I5's for only 2 rounds.

Appearance…
The I5's have a cleaner appearance and the offset is not very noticeable.  Offset in the G2's the short irons is quite noticeable.

Trajectory\Distance….
Hit the I5's mid-high with a penetrating trajectory.    Where the G2's have a high trajectory.  Distance wise, both are about the same.   However I feel the distance with the I5's will increase slightly as I become more accustom to the clubs.  Also, have noticed less run out with I5's over the G2's on approach shots.

Feel…
Definitely, more feel with the I5s.   The feel in G2's is very muted with the Rifles.   Where the I5's does provide feedback on mishit and well struck shots.  Find the new standard PING Grips to be quite soft and prefer them to the I3 grips.

Forgiveness…
The G2's are definitely more forgiving than the I5's.   Not by a large margin though.   Found the I5's almost as easy to hit as the G2's in the mid to short irons.   Unfortunately, only had a couple of opportunities to hit the long irons and did not put a very good move on most of those opportunities.  However the long irons that went, went well.

Summary…
Both are great clubs and do not really have any regrets with either sets.   The I5's just seem to suit me better than the G2's.   Mostly because the I5's have less offset and bounce than the G2's.  When the I5's were ordered, I ordered them with Std Rifle shafts and a 5.0 frequency.   Upon receiving the clubs noticed the FR 5.0 shaft bands - judging by the feel of the short irons they are FR's.   The shaft error appears to be PING's - confirmed via Purchase Order and Order written on box.  Told retailer, I will play the I5's w/FR to see how they feel and if I do not like the feel will have clubs sent back to PING for reshafting with Std Rifle.  Right now, I really like the I5's w/FR combination.   Hope to get a couple more rounds in before making a decision to reshaft or not.

Ray

#4 johnburkha

johnburkha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11810

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:33 AM

i have a set of I5's and I really think they are great. I have been searching for cavity back club that still possessed some playablity and this club has it. Although, I must confess I would still like a set of X-tours or Mizunos but I guess that can be a summer project.

#5 dpriester

dpriester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 809

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

Special ordered the i5's with the CS Lite reg flex shafts with Cushuin inserts to replace my Titleist irons. My handicap floats like the tide between 10.5 and 13. I wanted to try an iron that let me work (or at least try to work) it more than my Titleists would.  Mission accomplished. The i5's feel very smooth and solid. Trajectory is mid to a bit higher on the short irons. The ability to move a ball right or left as needed is something I've never had access to before.  Ping is going to help me make 2006 a great golf season.

#6 Gallery_rldthreeintn_*

Gallery_rldthreeintn_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

What titleists did you switch from?  I've been waffling between titleist and ping myself.

#7 dpriester

dpriester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

Sorry for the delay in answering...I've been out of town. My Titleists were 822OS. Very good irons for me but very hard to work on purpose. Curiously, my Titleist irons were a club longer between 8 iron and PW but the same on mid & long irons.

#8 Gallery_prometa1_*

Gallery_prometa1_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Great sticks with a blend of forgiveness and workability.  ALthough cast, the feel is very good.  Mine came with Z65 shafts which played a little soft so I sent them back to Ping to be reshafted with DGSL

#9 clangolf

clangolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2388

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

Having played Ping irons 90% of the time over the last 20+ years, I believe the i5's are a great offering.  The feel of the clubs is excellent and the set makeup has basically given golfers the best of both worlds - more a a blade type head for shorter irons (with a bit of offset) and more forgiving mid to long irons.  The increased (vs i3's) bounce and sole width makes the longer irons easier to hit.  Basically a combo set of better feeling i3(or +'s) O-Size and Blades.

I have recently ordered a set with the stock stiff graphite.  These will replace my current set of WRX Rifle 6.0's.  I ordered a set of i5 Rifles for my son's college graduation gift - he previously played i3 O-Size with ZZ65's.  He loved the Rifle i5's and I ordered a set for myself.  However, at +3/4" for me they came in at D5 and the 50* was E6! - since I have been battling a sore elbow I've opted for the graphite.  I found myself swinging harder with the heavier club (and swingweight) - and I definitely play (timing) better with the lighter club.  I have used the ZZ65 in several sets over the years and as I get older I am coming around to Ping's original concept of stiff, but lightweight shafts.  Ex my elbow problem - I think i5's with ZZ65's would be a great combo.

#10 BG in Detroit

BG in Detroit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3762

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

In May I custom fit and ordered a set of i5s, green dot, ZZ65 shafts +1/2", no Cushin insert.  These replaced my Ping i3 O-size irons which had been pretty good for me.  I felt that since my game had been getting better until i got stuck at around 14 handicap, that a nice new set would help get me to the next level.  I am a big PING fan and even got fit in AZ at the factory.    

I am SURE it is all in my head, but the day I put the i5s in my bag is the day my scores got worse.  We're talking 8 - 12 strokes worse.  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was stubborn and gave them every practice, lesson, and playing chance to become comfortable.  In July after losing the first day lead in a 2-day tournament to drop to third and out of the money, i took a 2-week breather.  When I started hitting balls again with the i5s, no improvement, so I hit the i/3s and it was like magic all over again.  The sailed exactly where I envisioned.  The first few rounds I evened my all-time low scores for league play, and after 2 weeks I shot my best round ever by 3 strokes.

I always loved the forgiveness of the i3s, and the ability to shape shots.  The feel is very good, and from my experience the i5s lack some magic and distance.  First clubs I will have to sell so new

:cheesy:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 The Big Pinch

The Big Pinch

God Bless America!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7665
  • Ebay ID:ezpincher
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

I switched from I3 blades to the I5's last march. Since then I have carded my first hole in one and my bro inlaw and I won our flight at his clubs member guest. We almost won the outright but lost in a chip off on the last hole to the champ flight guy's. Great feel, forgiveness and control.  :cheesy:

Attached Images

• HPIM0830.JPG

Edited by EZPINCHER, 14 September 2006 - 09:42 AM.

#12 dpriester

dpriester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

I had the same problem. I went from Titleist 822 OS (more offset) to the i5's and my handicap promptly went up 3 points. Couldn't stop hooking the i5's. stayed with them for two months. Finally went back to my Titleist and my handicap went right back down again. Maybe it's mental, maybe it's physical...all I know is it's disappointing because I really like the look and feel of the i5's. The results just aren't there though.

#13 zeke4351

zeke4351

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1376
  • Ebay ID:zeke4351
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

I am going to try a flatter lie than I would normally play and see what happens.

#14 ebenn

ebenn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20472
  • Ebay ID:elliot630

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

View PostEZPINCHER, on Sep 14 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

I switched from I3 blades to the I5's last march. Since then I have carded my first hole in one and my bro inlaw and I won our flight at his clubs member guest. We almost won the outright but lost in a chip off on the last hole to the champ flight guy's. Great feel, forgiveness and control.  ;)

nice set my friend....here's my '07 set up

Attached Images

• bag1.jpg
  • bag4.jpg
  • bag2.jpg
  • bag3.jpg

#15 zeke4351

zeke4351

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1376
  • Ebay ID:zeke4351

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

View Postzeke4351, on Mar 20 2007, 06:39 PM, said:

I am going to try a flatter lie than I would normally play and see what happens.
I am on my second set of I5's and I am trying a set of orange dot(2degrees flat) and they are working great. I need these irons flatter than any others I have played to get good results. These are great irons. :D

#16 dlhunter42

dlhunter42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14644
  • Ebay ID:dlhunter42

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

My i5's have 6.0 Rifle shafts.  I have hit a ton of irons in the last 2 years.  These irons are great for the largest portion of the golfing community.  High or low handicappers will like these irons.  They have some offset, but not enough to overwhelm.  I highly recommend them.

#17 Philfest

Philfest

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26445
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

View PostEZPINCHER, on Sep 14 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

I switched from I3 blades to the I5's last march. Since then I have carded my first hole in one and my bro inlaw and I won our flight at his clubs member guest. We almost won the outright but lost in a chip off on the last hole to the champ flight guy's. Great feel, forgiveness and control.  :friends:

I thought I countede 15-clubs in that bag? Are you allowed 14, plus the putter, or is it 14 total?

#18 Charlie_Foxtrot

Charlie_Foxtrot

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17687

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

I like my i5s.

(And it's 14 total)

#19 hawk14shaw

hawk14shaw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9342
  • Ebay ID:hawk14shaw
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

Just got fitted today.  Tried the G5, S58 and i5.  Hit the i5's the best.  Just felt they were more forgiving than the S58's and I was able to work the ball with the i5 which I could not do with the G5.  Ordered set of i5's 4 through 50 deg. wedge.

#20 Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11807
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

i ordered a set of i5 + iwedges.it took only 4 days to get them.i  carded the highest score in 4 years with them on the front 9.the back nine was a pleasure.i hit only a few balls on the range with them and then we got called to the tee box.the clubs are 2 clubs longer than my eye 2's and it took me almost 6 holes to go up 1 or 2 clubs on my shots.they are by far  straighter and longer that the eye 2's.the iwedge are a dream....one great set of irons

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 FAVRE04

FAVRE04

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30531

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:25 AM

I customed ordered a set of I5's 2 weeks ago. Should be in next week. I demo'd these and the Mizuno MP 60's. I loved the 60's, but given I get out once or twice a week, I felt a slightly more forgiving club was the route to go. I play to an 8 handicap and if I can get it down to a 3-4, maybe I'll end up picking up the MP-60's anyway. I ordered 2-PW,SW LW.I don't currently carry a 5-Wood so I went with a 2 Iron. I ordered them blue dot(1 degree upright), 1/2 long, with UST Proforce 95 S graphite shafts. Don't ask, I've always played graphite and personally like the feel, plus the Proforce 95's appear to be pretty solid. Anyway, I'll let you know how they hit in a few weeks after I've had them out a few times.

#22 Geddin Dahol

Geddin Dahol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20969

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

My, my, my...

I have only been playing about 10 months now and could not break 90 to save my life.  I was playing with a set of Adams A1's and felt like I had gone as far as I could go with them.  The one thing I liked about them though was the distance I got from them.

I definately wanted something that would keep me around the same distances [6 iron: 190yrds].  I tried the S58's, R7TP's, and the i5's.  I liked the way all of them felt but I just couldn't get over the forgiveness of the i5's.  So I got fitted for them and recieved them this past friday.  I took them out on Saturday and was a little nervous about playing them.  Warmed up on the range and was impressed.  Took them out on the course and was wow'd by them.  Not only did I have more distance.  My ball would stop on a dime, where my previous irons would've bounced off the green.  I BUSTED my previous low [92] with a round of 83!!!  Having a set of clubs that fit me perfect made all the difference.  The confidence seemed to carry over to my short game, where i was able to get up and down when i needed to.  

The highlight of my day would be one of two birdies I hit on a very short Par 3.  I was 135 out with a flag I could take dead aim at - PW should do it.  I hit the most impressive shot I have ever hit!  Not because it came down past the pin and rolled back to about 6ft for an easy birdie.  It was the ball flight that floored me.  The ball just compressed off the face and climbed higher than I normally hit a PW, then sharply turned left [draw spin] and dove into the green and spun back.  My buddies could only laugh with amazement.

If you're in the market for some irons, go try these!!!

Edited by Geddin Dahol, 24 June 2007 - 10:59 AM.

#23 shagnat

shagnat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9993
  • Ebay ID:shagnat

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

Best sticks I've ever played....... I've got a set with the graphite shafts from Ping and they're money.

#24 Hathstauwk

Hathstauwk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32901

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

how do the i5 compare to the S59 or S59? I have the old i3 blades and love them so am curious what the newer equivalent would be. I like the forgiveness fo the i3 blades for wehen I do not play much and am a little rusty in my sweet spot finding abilities but still perform well enough when I am playing well to give me the benefits.

Any thoughts?
Titleist 913D3 9.5 degree
Tour Edge Exotics 3w 15 degree
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid
Ping i20 Project X 5.5
Cleveland 56 degree
Ping Anser 2i

#25 leftywitt

leftywitt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16426
  • Ebay ID:LAGEWITT

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

i was tied between the s59 and i5's. but to me the s59's felt the same, a soft cast feel and the head size was about the same. granted the offset was different that doesnt bother me. the influencial factor was price, and the fact that i couldnt find the s59 tours. i love my i5's. shot shaping qualities with a built in safety net!!!!

#26 bsully33

bsully33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35150

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

I have been playing with crappy knock-off clubs for 8 years and have decided I either need to quit or invest in new clubs.  I usually shoot low to mid 90's but know I can be in the 80's regularly.  I have demoed the i5 green dot and wanted some feedback on the differences in green vs black vs orange, etc.

#27 Philfest

Philfest

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26445

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

View Postbsully33, on Jul 20 2007, 10:37 AM, said:

I have been playing with crappy knock-off clubs for 8 years and have decided I either need to quit or invest in new clubs.  I usually shoot low to mid 90's but know I can be in the 80's regularly.  I have demoed the i5 green dot and wanted some feedback on the differences in green vs black vs orange, etc.

They're refering to different lie angles. Look at the PING GOLF website and they have a break-down.

#28 sg56

sg56

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16760
  • Ebay ID:stevewillis

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

I love my I5's. I have went through 755's, r7tp's, x20 tours and finally settled on these. I can launch them high and just get more distance than my other clubs. I sent these to Ping to get reshafted (DGS from X flex) and bent from green to black dot and could not be happier. Last night in my golf league, I stiffed a 8 iron to 2 feet. I actually hit a good 4 iron shot. I highly recommend these clubs... :drinks:

#29 Lozisnumber1

Lozisnumber1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39859
  • Ebay ID:burton4619

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

(1st ever post) :drinks:

I really like my Ping I5 irons. They are a considerable step up from what I had before, and after 10 rounds I am very pleased with them. It was a choice between these and the CG golds, but these just seemed to give a more consistant ball flight. They feel very solid on slight misshits, but are not too wide that you lose all workability. Ping also do great custom fitting which I would strongly recommend.

#30 ty cheek

ty cheek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3410

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

My review of my new Ping I5's are as follows;

I have been a ping user for the past 17 years, up until August of 2006.  My handicap had dropped to a 0.8, and I "thought" I was good enough to play a players forging.  I purchased a set of Mizzy MP 60's set up by my club fitter/builder.  I liked the clubs, the buttery feel that all describe, and when I was striking the ball well, they were ok.

However when you have grown accustomed to the way Pings feel, and that is your preference, it's hard to get accustomed to a new "feel".  I think the MP60's may have caused my handicap to go up a bit.  I know I'm a pretty good player, right now playing very sparingly and I'm playing to a 2.0.

I picked up my I5's 1 week ago.  I haven't played or hit balls in 3 weeks due to a shoulder injury.  The clubs were set up exactly the same, my club builder who did my MP60's built them, same length, lie, frequency, etc.  I went out to hit balls when I picked them up, and I could immediately hit any shot I wanted.

I played last weekend and hit 13 greens on Saturday, and 12 on Sunday.  It has been a while since I have done that

I know some of it is confidence, but when I was making the decision to buy the MP60's I thought there was more forgiveness built into them, there's really not that much.  The I5's have a progressive cavity and the feel is EXACTLY what I like and am accustomed to.  There was no getting comfortable with them.  Once I had them in my hands I was good to go.

I'm very happy with the I5's and prior to the MP60's played I3+ blades for 4 years built through the WRX department at Ping.  I can honestly say the added forgiveness I have with the I5's versus the I3+ blades is good for bad ball striking days.

I honestly believe all things being exactly equal, the I5's are 2 shots better a round for me than the MP60's.  By that I think when I miss the Pings the misses will be better and allow a greater opportunity to save a couple of shots per round.

Ty :partytime2:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors