Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 2 votes

Sunglasses:

178 replies to this topic

Poll: Sunglasses: Polarized or Non-polarized? (549 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is better for golf? Why?

1. Polarized (351 votes [63.93%])

Percentage of vote: 63.93%

2. Non-polarized (198 votes [36.07%])

Percentage of vote: 36.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mkb3245

mkb3245

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Looking for a little help here.  I just had LASIK done on my eyes so I'm probably going to start wearing sunglasses most of the time when I play golf.  I'm curious as to who wears polarized and who wears non-polarized glasses....and why?  I would appreciate any experiences/thoughts.  Thanks.

Edited by mkb3245, 26 March 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Gallery_moecat_*

Gallery_moecat_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

The hype on polarized is that they're better for UV protection.  Who knows if that's really true?  Any opthalmologists out there wish to chime in?

I'm personally just partial to Maui Jim because I think they look nice.

Sorry I'm not much help here! :)

#3 jho786

jho786

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26439
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Im not an opthamologist but an engineer so there is somewhat of a difference between polarized and non-polarized lenses.  Polarized lenses have very tiny slits that only allow light coming in from one direction.  The slits are either arranged parallel going vertically or horizontally, which allow only a percentage of the original light source through the lens and reflecting the other non-aligned light away from the lens.  This means that less light carrying uv rays and photons (the energy particles of light) will enter your eye.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT S
TM RBZ Tour 3W Diamana Blue 83x
Adams 18* Idea Pro Black Voodoos
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P Nippon Modus3 130S
Mizuno MPR-12 52,56,60
Ping Karsten Anser 2

#4 TitleistHOG

TitleistHOG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1878
  • Handicap:5.3
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

Since this is realated to golf, which is better?

#5 Beavs17

Beavs17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7333
  • Ebay ID:beavs17
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

I have both lenses for my Half Jackets, and the non-polarized are CLEARLY the better choice for golf.  The polarized lenses tend to 'flatten' everything....not good when you are trying to read a green.  Leave the polarized lenses for fishing!

Cleveland Classic XL Custom - VC 6.2
15.5* Cleveland Classic XL - Fuji 869
20* Adams Idea Pro - VS Proto By You 80
Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DG S300
Cleveland CG14 Tour BP - 50/54/58
Yes! Pippi 12

#6 lidomkj

lidomkj

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1494
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

polarized are much better for clarity.  They are typically more expensive.  The bigger question to answer is the optics and how much distortion there is in the lens.  Some companies make golf specific lenses.  I prefer Maui Jim, not too dark and the clarity is amazing.  No distortion as some other sunglasses.

#7 Evil R1

Evil R1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4832
  • Ebay ID:rcg52973

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

I have Maui Jim's and stopped wearing them for Golf.  I find that I lose a bit of depth perception with them and also have a tendancy to lose sight of the ball at about 200+ yards since any reflection off the ball cover is gone so with my driver I have to guess alittle as to where it has landed.

This summer I am going to try a few different "Golf Specific" sunglasses.  I have heard very good things about the Sun Buster Sunglasses and Peak Vision Sunglasses and might try them out.  If not, I will go with a high quality non-polorized lens.

Thanks,

#8 ijha

ijha

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17221

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

Definitely Polarized.
For putting? I don't know....maybe that's why some pros take off their glasses when they are putting...

#9 fkim011

fkim011

Official Club Whore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23178
  • Ebay ID:fkim011

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

with polarized, it is hard to see the elevation changes during putting

#10 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

I dont wear my Sunglasses when putting so i am using polarized

TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 marlowe70

marlowe70

righty playing lefty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6109
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

View Postmkb3245, on Mar 26 2007, 05:21 PM, said:

Looking for a little help here.  I just had LASIK done on my eyes so I'm probably going to start wearing sunglasses most of the time when I play golf.  I'm curious as to who wears polarized and who wears non-polarized glasses....and why?  I would appreciate any experiences/thoughts.  Thanks.

quality lenses will give you a 100% UV-A and UV-B protection due to a uv-blocker in the material, no matter if polarized or not. i think contrast lenses are the way to go.     amber coloured lenses have the best contrast effect on green, orange alleviates changes between light and shade but is not appropiated for bright sunlight. mirror coatings may look cool but the best sight you will have with an anti reflection coating, transition lenses are an option, too.
the best tip i can give is to look for a qualified optician.

#12 dinkoh

dinkoh

KCCO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13803
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

as mentioned previously, polarized lenses have better clarity.  However, I do find it slightly' harder to read greens with it.  However, if one had to pick one style, go with polarized.

Edited by dinkoh, 26 March 2007 - 01:36 PM.

#13 ac49801

ac49801

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 822

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

View PostEvil R1, on Mar 26 2007, 12:24 PM, said:

I have Maui Jim's and stopped wearing them for Golf.  I find that I lose a bit of depth perception with them and also have a tendancy to lose sight of the ball at about 200+ yards since any reflection off the ball cover is gone so with my driver I have to guess alittle as to where it has landed.

This summer I am going to try a few different "Golf Specific" sunglasses.  I have heard very good things about the Sun Buster Sunglasses and Peak Vision Sunglasses and might try them out.  If not, I will go with a high quality non-polorized lens.

Thanks,
Try Tifosi Optics.  They have golf specific lenses (2 different types), can be interchanged, and can be had for $30 to $50!  I love mine!

#14 lidomkj

lidomkj

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1494
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I forgot to add that I take my glasses off to putt.  I do not know too many people who can putt with the sunglasses on.

#15 AltusBeliever

AltusBeliever

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22962

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

My opthometrist, a golf fanatic, says that you definitely do not want polarized lens in your golf sunglasses.  That said, I wear Maui Jims as I love them. Don't like to wear shades to play golf, though, so the MJs ride in my bag on course most of the time.

#16 TM golf guy

TM golf guy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2827
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

I wear polarized, but I have heard that wearing them can cause depth perception issues and make you chunk the ball. I never have any issues with chunking it with them on, but I do take them off when I putt.

#17 Beavs17

Beavs17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7333
  • Ebay ID:beavs17
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

View Posttaylormade golf guy 182, on Mar 26 2007, 02:22 PM, said:

I wear polarized, but I have heard that wearing them can cause depth perception issues and make you chunk the ball. I never have any issues with chunking it with them on, but I do take them off when I putt.

So, you're telling us that you've NEVER chunked a shot with your sunglasses on? :)
Cleveland Classic XL Custom - VC 6.2
15.5* Cleveland Classic XL - Fuji 869
20* Adams Idea Pro - VS Proto By You 80
Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DG S300
Cleveland CG14 Tour BP - 50/54/58
Yes! Pippi 12

#18 TM golf guy

TM golf guy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2827
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

View PostBeavs17, on Mar 26 2007, 03:24 PM, said:

View Posttaylormade golf guy 182, on Mar 26 2007, 02:22 PM, said:

So, you're telling us that you've NEVER chunked a shot with your sunglasses on? :)

Nope, NEVER!  :)

I have the half jackets as well so I change them sometimes. I have to wear the polarized lenses because my eyes are so dang sensitive.

Edited by taylormade golf guy 182, 26 March 2007 - 04:30 PM.

#19 HarboursideTC

HarboursideTC

Harbourside

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23318
  • Ebay ID:golfclubTC

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

I wear glasses, so my sunglasses are perscription - which means that I can't take them off to putt.  Polarized are great for fishing, but not for golf.  I have trouble with distance and contours, as things tend to flatten out with polarized.  It is impossible to read a green with polarized lenses (IMO).  For me, photobrown transitions work the best.  I can still see the contours and they change with the fading light.

#20 matt411

matt411

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 529

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

i have a tough time wearing sunglasses and playing, but polarized are terrible for me. i think i have tried 10 different pairs of polarized and non polarized. with the polarized lenses, if i am looking at a ball on a tee and move the glasses off and on, the ball changes position by a couple millimeters. very noticeable. this game is hard enough without having my depth perception all screwed up.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 lskoncepts

lskoncepts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16242
  • Ebay ID:lskonceptsparts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

I find that some of the comments on polarized sunglasses make putting more difficult interesting.  I feel it is the opposite.  I wore contacts about 4 years ago and wore polarized sunglasses to play golf.  I could read the green better with the polarized sunglasses than without.  I actually putted better.  I guess it is different for certain people.

I'm going in for LASIK on Thursday so I'll have to pull out the old sunglasses for the next round of golf.

Edited by lskoncepts, 27 March 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#22 billmac

billmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16597

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

Guys,

There are a lot of different opinions about sunglasses...what's good, what's bad, and how they work.  My company is an eyewear distributor to the golf biz, which by no means makes me an expert but I've been a good listener when I'm around experts.  These seem to be the most questioned concepts.

1.  Polarization v. UV Protection -- These are mutually exclusive.  In other words, just because a pr. of sunglasses is polarized it doesn't mean they are UV protected.  Both of these are achieved by coating the lens.  What you should wear on the course is UV protection, that coating addresses UV rays which we can't see and could potentially be harmful.  Polarization addresses glare, flat reflected light which we can see.  Polarization does tend to flatten contours on the course.  If you don't know if your shades have UV protection, junk 'em and get some that you know do.  If you don't know if your shades are polarized, here's an easy test.  Put your shades on and look at your car windows.  If you see a waffle pattern in the glass your shades are polarized.  The waffle pattern is the tint built into the glass.  No waffle pattern....no polarized.  

2. Lens Materials --  Three basic types.  Glass, TAC (Tri-Acetate Coated), and PC (Polycarbonate).  The short story here is glass is the most optically correct, but too heavy IMO for golf.  TAC is OK, but tends to be the most prone of the three materials to distortion.  PC is the most popular material.  Like anything else, if it's good quality you'll get a nice clean view.  Its also light and very tough.  A good PC lens is great for the course.  

3.  Lens Colors -- There are lots of lens color variations out there, but the two primary lens colors are Grey and Amber.  Grey provides a color-neutral view.  No enhancment or over saturation of color.  Amber, or Copper, or Bronze provides an enhanced view.  Saturates greens and really makes the course pop.  Again, IMO if you're looking to capture detail on the course Amber is the one you want.  I also find that with the brighter view Amber gives it's better through changing light conditions during a round.  Inevitably, clouds roll through during your 4+ hours on the course, and I find the Grey lens view to be just a little dark.

Sunglasses are just like golf clubs....everyone likes something different.  Find a nice pair you like, make sure they have UV protection, and wear 'em!  Protect your peepers!  OUT....  :)

#23 mkb3245

mkb3245

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

View Postbillmac, on Mar 27 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

Guys,

There are a lot of different opinions about sunglasses...what's good, what's bad, and how they work.  My company is an eyewear distributor to the golf biz, which by no means makes me an expert but I've been a good listener when I'm around experts.  These seem to be the most questioned concepts.

1.  Polarization v. UV Protection -- These are mutually exclusive.  In other words, just because a pr. of sunglasses is polarized it doesn't mean they are UV protected.  Both of these are achieved by coating the lens.  What you should wear on the course is UV protection, that coating addresses UV rays which we can't see and could potentially be harmful.  Polarization addresses glare, flat reflected light which we can see.  Polarization does tend to flatten contours on the course.  If you don't know if your shades have UV protection, junk 'em and get some that you know do.  If you don't know if your shades are polarized, here's an easy test.  Put your shades on and look at your car windows.  If you see a waffle pattern in the glass your shades are polarized.  The waffle pattern is the tint built into the glass.  No waffle pattern....no polarized.  

2. Lens Materials --  Three basic types.  Glass, TAC (Tri-Acetate Coated), and PC (Polycarbonate).  The short story here is glass is the most optically correct, but too heavy IMO for golf.  TAC is OK, but tends to be the most prone of the three materials to distortion.  PC is the most popular material.  Like anything else, if it's good quality you'll get a nice clean view.  Its also light and very tough.  A good PC lens is great for the course.  

3.  Lens Colors -- There are lots of lens color variations out there, but the two primary lens colors are Grey and Amber.  Grey provides a color-neutral view.  No enhancment or over saturation of color.  Amber, or Copper, or Bronze provides an enhanced view.  Saturates greens and really makes the course pop.  Again, IMO if you're looking to capture detail on the course Amber is the one you want.  I also find that with the brighter view Amber gives it's better through changing light conditions during a round.  Inevitably, clouds roll through during your 4+ hours on the course, and I find the Grey lens view to be just a little dark.

Sunglasses are just like golf clubs....everyone likes something different.  Find a nice pair you like, make sure they have UV protection, and wear 'em!  Protect your peepers!  OUT....  :)

Great info....Thanks!!   :)  :cheesy:

#24 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:58 PM

I have had 3 pairs of prescription polarized sunglasses over the past 10 years (all Oakley) and I have gotten progressively lighter (higher light transmission) lenses for the reasons stated above. I now use the highest light transmission Oakley lenses you can buy with polarization. They are great for golfing in all conditions, even on very overcast days (typical in Portland, OR).
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

#25 TexasRig

TexasRig

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19163

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

dpark,  what lens tint are you using now?

#26 Ezgolfer

Ezgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19575
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Anyone using  golf specific Oakley radar?

#27 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13492
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

View Postdpark, on Apr 6 2007, 11:58 PM, said:

I have had 3 pairs of prescription polarized sunglasses over the past 10 years (all Oakley) and I have gotten progressively lighter (higher light transmission) lenses for the reasons stated above. I now use the highest light transmission Oakley lenses you can buy with polarization. They are great for golfing in all conditions, even on very overcast days (typical in Portland, OR).

I use Costa del Mars prescription sunglasses and my experience is exactly the same as dpark.   I use amber, but if I wore glass I'd choose high contrast amber.

#28 wolfgame

wolfgame

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2943
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

fyi....if you have a heads up display in your car, polarized lenses block visibility to heads up (since they allow light in from one angle).  I have tried both polarized and non-polarized, couldn't really tell a difference on reading greens.

Edited by wolfgame, 23 April 2007 - 08:47 PM.

#29 lskoncepts

lskoncepts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16242
  • Ebay ID:lskonceptsparts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

I just picked up a pair of Bolle Swiftkick's.  The part number is 10485.  I wasn't going to buy a pair of sunglasses but as soon as I put them on I said I have to have them.  They are the lightest sunglasses (or glasses for that matter) that I have ever put on my face.  The lenses are polarized and the lenses are interchangeble.  Cost was around $140 but they can be bought online for much cheaper.  These are my golf sunglasses this year.  Picture is below:

Attached Images

• bolleswiftkick.jpg

#30 wei_c25

wei_c25

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26258

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Those are nice, I think Sergio wears those sunglasses.  What lenses are you getting?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors