Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A Man...a Mission..a Great wife...and Multiple Credit Cards...

Classic clubs Hogan irons Wilson Staff Macgregor VIPs Tommy Armour Odyssey Putters Cleveland wedges Toney Penna

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ripvanwinkle

Ripvanwinkle

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186128
  • Handicap:12?
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

Well...I guess its time to introduce myself to the community here after months of lurking. My nom de plume...Rip Van Winkle was chosen for a reason. Last year I got a real medical wake up call. I needed to change my life... and stop collecting wine. I'm a pretty obsessive person about my interests and hobbies...you know where this is going...and I needed something new to keep me absorbed. My wife Nancy, never for a minute believing I would actually stop buying wine (and drinking it, of course) couldn't believe it when I told her I was going to "Get back into golf". I started playing golf when we got married in 1980 and I quickly dove in head first...joined the Golf Collectors Society...collected golf books...hit 100,000 golf balls on the range...collected bag tags from as many great golf courses as I could...spent Sundays on the couch watching the final rounds....no breaking news to anyone here..and then I stopped. I'm not sure why exactly..but I did. Now fast forward to 2012 and no more wine. "Hey Honey, I can buy a set of Hogan irons for the price of a bottle of premier cru burgundy on Ebay!" The idea for the "Golf Museum" was born. I had the Kaplan books from the 80's when they came out but now there were new editions to be had. And, of course, the Maltby book...the great enabler... changed the game. And the internet too...spending late nights... with mugs of decaf coffee, scouring Ebay...enriching the United Postal Service...it was all a blur!

I walked into Roger Dunn Golf Super Store after being "asleep" for ten years...and asked some kid who wasn't even born when my Hogan Redlines were introduced to regrip a club (an early purchase on the 'Bay). "What kind of grip do you want?", he asked politely. " Oh, just put a Victory cord on it" I replied. "Hey, I heard they were going to bring those back!" he blurted out. "BRING THOSE BACK! WTF!" That's how I became "Rip Van Winkle". I looked around at the clubs....and threw up in my mouth. How could I play any of this stuff? The drivers looked like something Bozo the Clown would hit and who was this kid, Ricky Fowler, who dressed like a Creamsicle? Why couldn't he find a golf hat that fit him?

So...Please allow me to present to you my months of obsession.....  Affectionately (OR NOT) known at chez Greene ( and the 1900 block of Thayer Avenue) as the "Golf Museum". Here's my premise...which you may feel free to disagree with or modify...the Golden Years of golf club design and manufacture were between 1958 through the mid-nineties. Certainly for persimmon woods you would need to start earlier....say 1950. In my world it breaks down something like this......

Early golfing implements...1600 to early nineteenth century

The Golden Age of Hickory Shafts...late nineteenth century until 1920

The Age of steel shafts...mid twenties to mid fifties

The Golden Age of Classic Modern clubs late fifties until mid-nineties

Game improvement and technology...nineties through the mid oughts

The Reign of Marketing because we really don't have any better (or new ) ideas....now....

The "Golf Museum" is my personal way to honor the contributions of golfing innovators such as...
Toney Penna, Ben Hogan, Gene Sheeley, Joe Phillips, R. Mendrella, Roger Cleveland, Ray Cook,T.P.Mills,
yes...Karsten Soldheim too, Joe Powell, Tad Moore, Phil Rodgers, the Hansbergers, and the original Odyssey guys.
(As a personal aside...my interest in the Hogan Golf Compay stops in 1993..the year they moved from Ft.Worth, Tx. I know that Spalding ( Jeff Sheets) and Callaway made some nice clubs but I'm not convinced they are Hogans) I also am interested in honoring some of the players I admire by collecting their autographed models...an old fashioned marketing idea that seems to have disappeared (hence the Tom Kite Hogan wedges...not made in Ft.Worth...Ray Floyd wedges, Tom Weiskopf etc.) And everthing in the museum is playable....no clubs so valuable that I'm afraid to play them!

I probably will need to break the photos into two posts. I'll try to catalog everything tomorrow.
Special thanks to fellow WRXers Teevons, Keith the old Pro, Wee Ice Mon, John Hinton, and others for their help, inspiraton, and encouragement. And aren't we all lucky that Tad Moore and Charley Penna are around to help us keep the facts straight!

Edited by Ripvanwinkle, 05 March 2013 - 01:52 AM.

Callaway Opti-Force 440 w/Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2 Reg

Callaway 3 Deep Fujikura Fuel 65 Reg

Callaway 5 Deep Aldila Tour Green Reg

Mizuno HP-5 4,5 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite Reg

Mizuno 6-9 MP59, MP69 PW KBS Reg

Callyway MD2 51, 56C grind,60 U grind

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa 2 with SS mid-slim

Callaway Apex UT 21 with Recoil 660 Reg Titlest Pro-V 1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 2,002 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1816

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

welcome back!!

#3 russad

russad

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218411
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for the intro and your first picture posts, can't wait for when you start to feature specifc clubs and sets and show them in more detail.

#4 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Major Winner

• 2,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2245

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

View Postrussad, on 05 March 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Thanks for the intro and your first picture posts, can't wait for when you start to feature specifc clubs and sets and show them in more detail.

+1
"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty"

Harry Vardon (1870-1937)

#5 guisician

guisician

play fast, play well, have fun

• 945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160425
  • Ebay ID:guisician61
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

View PostRipvanwinkle, on 05 March 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

And everthing in the museum is playable....no clubs so valuable that I'm afraid to play them!

The money quote...welcome back and good health to you, rip!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon