Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

If you were to buy a house in retirement where would it be?

118 replies to this topic

#91 weten2

weten2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35955
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

View Postretep, on 03 March 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

We love Arizona, but long term water concerns scare me.   And no ocean.   Keep em coming!
Correct. The blue waters and green landscape of Florida appeal to me much more than the brown or Arizona! We will be up north for the summer months.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 Lodestone

Lodestone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234177
GolfWRX Likes : 1681

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'll be up north for the summer months as well, which is why I have serious doubts about owning  a winter home anywhere.  I plan on renting until I find the right place, and even then, buying doesn't make economic sense until you get to a certain number of months per year you wish to be in the warmer climate.
FORE RIGHT!!!!

#93 weten2

weten2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35955
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Postronnbee, on 05 March 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

sarasota

Rated #1 location for retirement in most surveys.

#94 SadTrombone

SadTrombone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 2469

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Since you're married, I'd recommend the Villages.  My aunt and uncle had a place there and I visited several times.  "Free" (there's an annual fee for your cart) golf for life on the "executive" courses (mostly par 3), which is actually pretty fun.  Also, some nice championship courses.  Bottom line is you have plenty of options.

Do they have a grass range hitting real (not floater) balls down there yet?  That would be nice.  Last time I was there all of the ranges used floaters, which....meh.

If you were single, I'd say to avoid it.  The STD rate in the villages is....astronomical.  Almost comically so.

Other than that, I love it there.  Now to convince my better half.  Hopefully I'm out in 20 years...maybe more like 25.

#95 Lodestone

Lodestone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

View Postminitour, on 01 May 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Since you're married, I'd recommend the Villages.  My aunt and uncle had a place there and I visited several times.  "Free" (there's an annual fee for your cart) golf for life on the "executive" courses (mostly par 3), which is actually pretty fun.  Also, some nice championship courses.  Bottom line is you have plenty of options.

Do they have a grass range hitting real (not floater) balls down there yet?  That would be nice.  Last time I was there all of the ranges used floaters, which....meh.

If you were single, I'd say to avoid it.  The STD rate in the villages is....astronomical.  Almost comically so.

Other than that, I love it there.  Now to convince my better half.  Hopefully I'm out in 20 years...maybe more like 25.

Was just there, and I have to admit, the paucity of ranges is something I can't understand. The Palmer course has one, but it's "mats only"...we went off the grounds into Lady Lake, nearby, and found a huge range, and it too was "mats only"...

As far as the STD rate, I think that's urban myth. But if you have evidence to substantiate that assertion, please post it.

The wives, who are not golfers, were very comfortable on the par 3s in the evening. It was a blast. No pressure to play fast. A great learning environment for those taking the game up, or just a nice place to enjoy the evening, in a golf cart. with a cocktail, and have some giggles. The par 3 golf with the wives was really fun.
I was out in the cart towards dusk, and saw a guy by himself on an "executive" course, no crowds, just enjoying that sublime pleasure of chipping and putting to a green as the sun sets. I was envious, I must admit.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

#96 SnowmanRico

SnowmanRico

Seņor Ocho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226967
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Whatever you do, don't come to South Carolina. It's horrible here.

Signed,
The rest of non-golfing America.
G30 9* Tour 65 Stiff
G25 15* Tour Stiff
I20 20* Proforce VTS Silver 85X
G25 4-U CFS Stiff
CG16 56*,60*
Bettinardi BB24 Black Thunder

#97 golfquest

golfquest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2774
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm a New Yorker living in Chicago and I am living the "Sandwich Generation". I am blessed to have Dad (90), Mom(86) and Mother-In-Law(85) with all their faculties along with extended family back east and a 21 year old in college in the Midwest. We are looking at Georgia, Maryland/Virginia and Carolina area. I am just wondering why the Georgia and Maryland areas are not mentioned very much.. Thanks

#98 Hosley

Hosley

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188964
  • Ebay ID:Emilys419
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Georgia doesn't get recognized much because our coast is very short and most of the good golfing along the coast is private and relatively expensive.

Savannah: The Landings has 5 or 6 very nice courses. It is a large gated community off the coast. The city can be dangerous but I think that can be over blown. And I would disagree with the prior posting saying the restaurant community is limited. It is good and getting better.  I do agree it is a port city, but so is Charleston. FWIW charleston is a more refined city with better restaurants.

Sea island. Not much to say here. Awesome really awesome but very expensive.

Not much between Sav and SEI.  FYI. I grew up in savannah. A good place to grow up, probably a good place to retire to, but not a great place to be a young professional.
913 D3 RIP Phenom
Hybrid 15* XTD; A12 19*, Sonartec 23*
Callaway X-20 Tour 4-PW
Titleist Oil Can Vokey 52* & 56*
Cleveland 60*
Odyssey Dual Force

#99 cdnrockies

cdnrockies

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208709
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

San Diego without question.

PGA Village is very nice but storm season has little appeal. We love Scottsdale too, but the excessive heat and lack of the ocean would be a non-starter. Same for PS.

#100 dgould91

dgould91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120694

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Pinehurst NC! North Carolina is such a great state with some of the nicest people and you cant beat the golf in that area

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 putts4bogey

putts4bogey

Puppies and Butterflies

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295
  • Handicap:Many
GolfWRX Likes : 903

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

CA is expensive, but that is my choice.  My primary home is in Chicago but I purchased a second home in the SF/Bay Area.  There is so much to do here, so many golf courses, cultural events, sights to see, etc. And while I like Chicago, the winters are too long for my liking and it is no tax haven either.  Another area I like a lot is North Carolina.
What is and What Should Never Be

#102 retep

retep

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17640
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:junk4saledog
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Keep em coming!  we're going to kiawah/Charleston i think late in the summer and will poke around.  

California has everything going for it but the cost.  
Arizona has a lot going for it but no ocean and a lot of future water worries for me.
North Carolina might work near the coast, but the wifey likes a bigger city.
South Carolina we shall see
Florida seems interesting and unexplored with regard to the panhandle for sure.

#103 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 737

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Whatever happened to The Cliffs? They used to advert heavily in golf magazines even a few tv spots, was supposed to be home to the 1st "designed by Tiger" course in the U.S etc... Then nothing, not a peep, they still solvent or did they fall on hardtimes?

#104 Lodestone

Lodestone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

View Postjnradioactive, on 05 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Whatever happened to The Cliffs? They used to advert heavily in golf magazines even a few tv spots, was supposed to be home to the 1st "designed by Tiger" course in the U.S etc... Then nothing, not a peep, they still solvent or did they fall on hardtimes?

Not familiar with it. Where is it?
FORE RIGHT!!!!

#105 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostLodestone, on 05 May 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

In the Carolina mountain area, south west NC, north west SC I think, 7 or 8 communities spread out in the area. Membership in one was supposed to give you rights to play all. Cliffs at Glassy, Clifffs at Keowee falls etc.... Think the glassy course once made GD top 100 you can play or one of those lists

#106 act0fgod

act0fgod

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132508
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

View Postjnradioactive, on 05 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

In the Carolina mountain area, south west NC, north west SC I think, 7 or 8 communities spread out in the area. Membership in one was supposed to give you rights to play all. Cliffs at Glassy, Clifffs at Keowee falls etc.... Think the glassy course once made GD top 100 you can play or one of those lists
I was just out at Lake Keowee last weekend.  Like most (if not all) golf communities built around the turn of the century the financial vision didn't turn out as planned with the Cliffs.  That being said the courses that are in place are still doing well.  The plan for the Tiger course is on hold.  There are still houses and plots of land that are being sold, compared to the initial offering prices there are some great bargains.

#107 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13492
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

View Postact0fgod, on 06 May 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

View Postjnradioactive, on 05 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I was just out at Lake Keowee last weekend.  Like most (if not all) golf communities built around the turn of the century the financial vision didn't turn out as planned with the Cliffs.  That being said the courses that are in place are still doing well.  The plan for the Tiger course is on hold.  There are still houses and plots of land that are being sold, compared to the initial offering prices there are some great bargains.

Would you know if the summertime weather there is tolerable?

#108 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Postagainstthegrain, on 06 May 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

Would you know if the summertime weather there is tolerable?

Very, it up in the Blue Ridge Mountains area, dont think they get out of the 80s very offten

#109 Malvern

Malvern

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157075
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I see one guy suggested Thailand and another the Ayrshire coast.

Do many think about leaving the US? So may great places in Sth/Central America and Europe so cheap these days.

It's probably unworkable from the US, I like Queenstown, NZ, golf, skiing, fishing, hiking.

#110 retep

retep

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

View Postgolfquest, on 05 May 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

I'm a New Yorker living in Chicago and I am living the "Sandwich Generation". I am blessed to have Dad (90), Mom(86) and Mother-In-Law(85) with all their faculties along with extended family back east and a 21 year old in college in the Midwest. We are looking at Georgia, Maryland/Virginia and Carolina area. I am just wondering why the Georgia and Maryland areas are not mentioned very much.. Thanks

I live in the Washington DC area now.  Maryland would be out because it the weather is not going to be good enough in the oct-april time frame.  Plus it is probably really $$$$$ and there are some traffic issues.  The benefit is proximity to Washington DC, but the detractors are going to outweigh the benefits.  Same with Deleware and the New Jersey coast.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#111 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Family, business, medical care, safety, and being part of a community are a major concerns when thinking about going overseas.  Sure it's great thinking about spending a couple months in NZ, Australia, Portugal, Thailand, Vietnam, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc, but full time not so much.  There are many excellent places to live in the US that are cheaper than living in LA/SF, DC/NY/Boston, Chicago, etc that we can find relative housing bargains in lots of great places here.

My first pick is a relatively cold weather area in central Idaho and it's an outdoorsmen's paradise.  It's not dirt cheap but cheap enough and once ski season is done it leaves about a 2 month period to travel and hit a beach somewhere.

#112 golfquest

golfquest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Postretep, on 05 May 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Keep em coming!  we're going to kiawah/Charleston i think late in the summer and will poke around.  

Arizona has a lot going for it but no ocean and a lot of future water worries for me.

Any specific area in North Carolina?

#113 retep

retep

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Wilmington?  C

View Postgolfquest, on 06 May 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I'm thinking Wilmington... Need to get there and spend a week and see.  We want a city of some size and there is a university there and the coast.  That beats out Pinehurst which i think would be too rural.

#114 golfquest

golfquest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postretep, on 07 May 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Wilmington?  C

I'm thinking Wilmington... Need to get there and spend a week and see.  We want a city of some size and there is a university there and the coast.  That beats out Pinehurst which i think would be too rural.

What is your opinion of Charlotte?

#115 retep

retep

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I missed the chance to drive through there, but there are probably some good points or arguments for it.  Big enough city to have things going on.  But far from the Ocean.

#116 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postgolfquest, on 08 May 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

View Postretep, on 07 May 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Wilmington?  C

Nice if you are looking for a larger city. Check out the Lake Norman area. Several nice courses and plenty of things to do plus you are outside the city. Not my cup of tea for a retirement location since I adore the coast

#117 pattg

pattg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1188
  • Ebay ID:geopat02
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think I'll stay where I am.

Unlimited golf all year on 3 links courses (2 of which are Championship standard) for just over $1k per annum.

6 Major Championship golf courses within 100 miles.  These courses hold 3 Major Championships every 5 years or so plus there's another 2 Tour events per year within 75 miles plus the odd Ryder Cup.

But yes, it is a little cold, windy and rainy - but these elements only make for a better test of golf on the links.

Edited by pattg, 12 May 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#118 trapp20

trapp20

Rad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193680
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postretep, on 05 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Thanks, a lot of good info and things to think about that you put in there...  Keep em coming!
No one said anything about Oregon or up that-a-way.

There's a reason for that. You would be so flipping miserable here you'd grab a gun and one-time it. Seriously, there are 4 good months out of the year, the courses are excellent for those months. The rest seem to be filled with a pathetic grey haze and a constant threat of rain.

DO NOT consider the Pacific Northwest for retirement in any capacity unless you are from here, have family here or plan or like damp weather.

For my money, the Monterey, CA area can't be beat. Year-round golf, a hundred amazing options to choose from and...wait, yeah, it's a little $$$. Paradise is what it is my friend. Best golf courses I've ever played have been within a 50 mile stretch of SF to Monterey, and while there might be a comparison in the SE or some of the high level CC's on the PGA - you can't top the weather or the options of California. Unfortunately you can't beat the taxes or the insanely high cost of living either.

Edited by trapp20, 15 May 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#119 againstthegrain

againstthegrain

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

If you want to retire to the PNW you must be mufti-faceted to take advantage of the myriad of recreational opportunities and have the ability to get to sunny. warm climes in April and May.  It's a reasonable drive to Baja, MX, or flight to Hawaii.   If you're a true outdoors man the place can't be beat.  And if you go east of the cascades you get in a rain shadow and it dries up considerably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors