Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Life of the face of an Iron

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jones01

Jones01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131658
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but I will ask anyway.  If in the wrong spot let me know.

I use forged irons and I like to practice at my golf courses range which is a grass range.  In doing so the face of my irons get a little beat up each season.  My sand wedges only last one to two seasons maximum.  My irons might last two seasons before I feel they need replacement.  

What I do not understand is I hear of guys that have the same set of irons for 5 to 10 years.  There is just no way mine would last that long without wearing the grooves right off.  

I have been buying a new set of irons each season to maintain the value of the prior set in the resale market.  This year I switched from AP2's to a set of Muira CB202's.  The reason for my post is I don't want to be replacing Muira irons every season.  I would be losing too much money.  

How long should an iron set last for a scratch HDCP who practices quite a bit.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 613

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Want your irons to last - don't practice or hit off mats.  The reality is that if you practice a lot off grass (dirt and sand) you are not going to get more than a year or maybe two out of a forged set of irons.  Get used to spending your cash or find a sugar mommy who can "help" you out. :)
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#3 Zachman

Zachman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144743
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I always have a wet rag with me when I practice, and I use it to wipe off the face after every shot on the range.  It can be a pain sometimes, but it will make the faces last longer.

#4 mxtitleistgolfer

mxtitleistgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27377
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Your other option would be to buy a couple extra "practice clubs."  I'm guessing that when you're just pounding range balls you're not going through and hitting every single iron equally, so perhaps get an extra 9, 6, and 3 iron as well as an extra wedge or two.  Make sure the get them set up exactly the same as your regular set, and then use those to practice with.  It may cost you a little extra right now, but it should save you money in the long run.

#5 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postmxtitleistgolfer, on 28 February 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Your other option would be to buy a couple extra "practice clubs."  I'm guessing that when you're just pounding range balls you're not going through and hitting every single iron equally, so perhaps get an extra 9, 6, and 3 iron as well as an extra wedge or two.  Make sure the get them set up exactly the same as your regular set, and then use those to practice with.  It may cost you a little extra right now, but it should save you money in the long run.

This 100%!!

BT

Cobra ACP w/ Aldila Prototype 65X
R11 T3/14*, 4/17*, 5/19* w/ GD YS+ 8.1 S
Titleist 695CB 4-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 R
Custom Natural Touch Macasser Ebony
Vokey SM4 52-8 & 58-8 w/ TT Wedge

#6 Jones01

Jones01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131658
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postmxtitleistgolfer, on 28 February 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Yeah I like this idea a lot.  I think I will be looking for a couple extra Irons now.  I am keeping my old sand wedges to practice with as well.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors