Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mizuno MP-63 irons: Real or fake?

Ebay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coally

coally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229699
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hello all, I recently purchased some used MP-63's from Ebay (shown below) and wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether they were real or not.  They included legitimate, laser-etched serial numbers on each hosel (verified the number with mizuno) and they seem to be forged, but I could be mistaken.  I'm pretty sure the shafts are real as I've compared the lettering in detail to real ones that I own on another set.  All the lettering and colors on the irons match those of real pics from mizuno on all the irons.  My only concern is the paint on one of the numbers from MP-63 -- specifically the "3" on one of the irons shown below seems to have bled a bit.  Is that possible from the factory?  Also the white paint on the "MP" appears to be coming off on that club.  Thanks!

pic3_2.jpg pic1_2.jpg pic4_2.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 blink3665

blink3665

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132182
  • Ebay ID:blink3665blink
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Are these used irons?  They look real.  If you verified the serial with Mizuno everything should be fine.  The white paint looks more like it has dirt in it than bleeding, and I wouldn't really worry about the "3".  Is it possible that the previous owner tried to touch them up and missed a bit?

EDIT:  Sorry, went back and re-read your post.  The white paint coming off the back shouldn't be a problem.  I had the paint come out of a mine eventually too.  The bleeding "3" should be fine as well.

Edited by blink3665, 27 February 2013 - 03:13 PM.

SLDR 430 12*
V Steel 5w/7w, RIP alpha 80
Adams Boxer 23*
714 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour R+ 1*up
Cally Jaws MD 50/54/58
Slighter Proto #9HT long neck

#3 damnorcross

damnorcross

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9945
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

serial number?  my buddy works there, he can look it up, just to double check for you.

#4 smiley9929

smiley9929

p u t t f o r d o u g h

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149051
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well, I'm on my second set of 63's and they sure look like the real thing.  I just sat here for 10 minutes comparing my newest set (2 weeks old brand new) to your pics and I couldn't see any difference.

Not sure about the paint problems however...

How do they play?  

Real 63's or any other Mizuno's (I've played 14's, 29's, 33's and 63's) are smooth, smooth, smooth...

#5 coally

coally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229699

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks to all for the responses.  Answering everyones questions at once:

Yes, the irons were used.  The serial number I already checked with mizuno, but I figured forgers could just get legit serial numbers and put them on there.  Haven't hit them yet, so don't know how they play (too cold here!)

#6 TJCDAS

TJCDAS

I was cured, all right!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77417
  • Handicap:Me
GolfWRX Likes : 761

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

These are the fakes with the notorious cheap white paint--plus the fonts look off.

#7 caeles

caeles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249470

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

They are real.  According to a local clubfitter, most "fakers" stay away from Mizuno due to their forging process being nearly almost impossible to copy.

Also tagged with Ebay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors