Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What paint does Continental Golf use?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101289
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Does anyone know the answer to this? I am curious about their process and products they use compared to the average DIYer.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 974

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Based on what they state on their website, they most likely use paint similar to what's used by the automotive industry.  They mention candy colors, which implies they use base/clear for at least some of their refinishing work.  Question is whether they use urethane or some sort of acrylic enamel.  Rattle can paint you can purchase in hardware stores is junk in comparison.  Significantly more prone to chips and scratches.

#3 Cletus

Cletus

Lead Tape Artisan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63750
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I am guessing Nessism is right. I would assume they are using urethane automotive grade paint. The biggest difference between that and the stuff you by in a spray can is that the paint is catalyzed. The paint cures via a combination of the solvents evaporating and a chemical reaction between the ingredients (specifically the hardener component). This creates a much more durable surface opposed to a lacquer or enamel you buy in a spray can. The drawbacks of a paint system like this are cost, additional complexity of mixing various components, added toxicity (isocyanates), and a shelf life of a few hours (give or take) once the hardener is added.
Anser 10.5* / TFC S
G25 16.5* / Project X 8C4
G20 20* / TFC Tour
i5 4-AW / Rifle 6.0
iWedge 56* / DG Spinner
Rife Mr. Beasley

#4 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

#CallaWRX2

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207419
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Is there anyone out there that paints clubs by Powder Coating? Now that would be the most durable and I suspect thats what all OEM's do.
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.0
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

#5 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'm just in between painting my Rescue11s myself or having them do it especially if they do more than I would using a superior product then spray can paint

#6 pccasstpro

pccasstpro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11024
  • Ebay ID:nepgabound
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

The best paint in a spray can that I have found is Duracoat. It is an automotive paint , you can pick it up at most auto parts stores, and (where I get it from) Tractor Supply Company.

#7 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'd hate to ask this but is auto posting significantly heavier than others?

#8 ronsc1985

ronsc1985

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102136
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostOUZO Power, on 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Is there anyone out there that paints clubs by Powder Coating? Now that would be the most durable and I suspect thats what all OEM's do.
There are several places to get powder coating of golf clubs done. Actually any powder coating business could do it for you. You have to remove the head from the shaft as the process involves baking at something like 400 F. This bake will also destroy any interior filler in the clubhead such as hot glue or polyurethane foam.

OEM's do not use powdercoating as even the best powdercoat job looks a lot less shiny then the two part acrylic urethane type paints used in both the automotive and OEM club building industry. Powdercoating is very durable but leaves something to be desired if you really want high a high gloss finish as you car or OEM club has.

#9 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most durable and 1 being no durability how does doing it yourself stand up against continentals work?

#10 AdammabA

AdammabA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179238
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

You could try to do it yourself, and if doesn't turn out as you would like, simply send the head to continental golf after stripping old paint.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Joeypole

Joeypole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19986
  • Ebay ID:Joeypole
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

The out of a can job will scratch when using a headcover.  Unless you want to respray every week.

Spend the cash and get Continental to do it.

I know a PGA Teaching Pro who complained to his TM rep that he didn't like the feel of anything new and loved his SuperQuad.  He wanted to still push the White Hype.  His rep at TM told him to send the SQ to Continental and get it refinished in white.  

TM and most OEM's use Continental to do their refinish jobs.  Send it to them and don't worry about you club cracking and chipping with the Kylon job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors